PDA

View Full Version : NJ fishing reports for December 2010

DarkSkies
12-01-2010, 07:26 AM
NJ fishing reports for December 2010
Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING! Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED!
Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
OutFront (Ocean) OR -- OutBack (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. If you do this, your post may be edited, or deleted. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time!

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:

If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish here today?

If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.
More discussion on this:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=3763 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3763)

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.Even if you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well.

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free.

Some acronyms -

SH - Sandy Hook
NoMoCo - Northern Monmouth County (below the hook to Shark River Inlet SRI)
SoMoCo - Southern Monmouth County (below SRI to Manasquan Inlet)

OC - Ocean County
IBSP - Island Beach State Park
LBI - Long Beach Island

AC - Atlantic County
AI - Absecon Inlet
CISP - Corson's Inlet State Park
CMC - Cape May County
CMR - Cape May Rips
GEI - Great Egg Inlet
TI - Townsend's Inlet

RB - Raritan Bay
BB - Barnegat Bay
CB - Chesapeake Bay
CBBT - Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel
DB - Delaware Bay

DarkSkies
12-01-2010, 07:29 AM
_Ledhead36,
you won the plug in the November random drawing!:clapping: :thumbsup:
PM me your address so I can send it out to ya!

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.

If you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well. Anyone who posts a report can win a plug even if they got skunked! :skunk::D

This month we're giving out plugs from Ace Baits, or something similar.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...splay.php?f=83 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)

Thanks for posting and helping to make this a great site! :clapping:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&thumb=1&d=1238964999 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&d=1238964999)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&thumb=1&d=1238965622 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&d=1238965622)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6339&thumb=1&d=1238965319 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6339&d=1238965319)

plugcrazy
12-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Fished oc from 6 to 7:30, skunk city.

Monty
12-02-2010, 09:55 AM
Skunk City is still much better than work city....:)

Fished oc from 6 to 7:30, skunk city.

fishinmission78
12-02-2010, 10:41 AM
^^I hear you Monty I'm envious of all those retired or unemployed guys who have nothing to do but roam the beach all day. I get in a few hours before work, and then I usually hear how they slayed them after I left. Today I got mine, though, 4 bass to 15lbs from 5 to 7:45 this AM, Occo.
All bass on sandeel type teaser. The surf isn't that bad today, it's fishable.

hookedonbass
12-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Fished somoco this morning, it was pretty dead in the surf. Some action about a mile or so off with the birds, but nothing in close.

cowherder
12-02-2010, 03:46 PM
I had the same results as you hooked on bass. I fished before work, and threw metal, needle-fish, bombers, a redfin, and bucktails. Tomorrow is another day, I hope we get a few before the season is over.

clamchucker
12-02-2010, 05:10 PM
I fished the park and above today, most of the day including the sunrise. I managed 14 bass for the day. The biggest 2 were 10 and 11lbs. The rest were 22-27". Caught on teasers, needlefish, and a loaded redfin. The fish were there but you had to work for them. No indication of any fish underneath, no birds, etc. I had to move several times with the tide. The weather was good and the water cleaned up nicely from the rain.

jigfreak
12-02-2010, 05:57 PM
fnm and clamchucker, way to get on the fish. I started a little n of that this morning, had to cut out early and get to work. Should have started s, nice going.

vpass
12-02-2010, 09:59 PM
fished this afternoon from 2:30pm to 6:30pm in NoMoCo caught 2 bass lost 2 and had many hits. all small fish. lots of sandeels in the wash.

Nice catch guys.

cardoc765
12-03-2010, 09:36 AM
Don't be to envious there fishinmission. I'm unemployed and yes have had time to search out spots and get fish. But I would give my left leg to have a job. It sucks after a while of not working and the bills start to pile up.

storminsteve
12-03-2010, 10:19 AM
^^^ I hear you on that cardoc, good luck on finding a job before the unemployment runs out. I heard they cut it from 99 weeks to 25, but I could be wrong on that. Bills piling up is not a good feeling.
I fished somoco from 4:45 to 7am, got 3 small bass on a small mambo minnow, crawled very slow.

jigfreak
12-03-2010, 10:53 AM
One tiny runt at sunrise, oo7 with white tail. OC.

surferman
12-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Fished a CM area beach this morning, 7-9, clams and bunker. Got one skate.:don't know why:
Good luck with the job search cardoc.

cowherder
12-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Good going guys. I fished MoCo with needlefish, and metal from 6 to 8. Nothing for me, though I did see birds working about 3 casts out.

finchaser
12-03-2010, 05:50 PM
Fished this AM 2 bass 9 and 12# both released both on a SS bullet

Fished the same spots this afternoon NADA

vpass
12-03-2010, 06:42 PM
fished SH this afternoon. I had just one sold hit and that was it. Birds working on bait did see some swirls, but fish didn't want anything i had to offer.

gjb1969
12-03-2010, 07:10 PM
got in a little while ago puting stuff together so i will be out for the nite i will be out on the water for my bday evan if there is no fish i will enjoy the rest of my day so will let u guys know how it went fish for bass in the dark tog the day:HappyWave:

cardoc765
12-04-2010, 11:58 AM
Got out this morning to frigid temps. Me and 2 others hit OC and managed 3 shorts. We fished from 6:45 till 9:00. One of the other guys managed a few bumps and dropped one as well. Great morning though.

clamchucker
12-04-2010, 01:53 PM
Yes it was cold this morning and yesterday, folks. The small fish are in and out. I fished the park yesterday, 13 bass to 26" on Pt Jude tin and teaser. Today I released 7 to 23". Same gear. Half the fish hit the teaser, half hit the tin.

fishinmission78
12-04-2010, 08:08 PM
Nice numbers of bass showed up in oc this afternoon. Double digits on metal and teasers. All runts, but nice action.

DarkSkies
12-05-2010, 09:08 AM
WTG guys. :cool: :thumbsup: The cold rips through you when it's windy, other times it's not that bad. There are still a lot of small bass around and keepers mixed in. Many guys have packed it in already.The beaches aren't crowded.

The guys in LI are still out there casting away. Is seems they put the Jersey guys to shame sometimes because they don't want to give up. It could also be that their bass season closes on the 15th. And they know it will be a long cold winter before they can get a chance at a bass in April. So enjoy the time you have left, people, catch em up!:fishing:

vpass
12-05-2010, 11:11 AM
Nice going Guys. I'm sure there will be fish here the whole month. Keep at it.:HappyWave:

I'm back to work tomorrow.:burn: I'll be getting home to late to make any
attempts during the week. Weather permitting I'll be out next weekend.

:waaah:
Time to start thinking of some winter projects.

finchaser
12-05-2010, 12:24 PM
WTG guys. :cool: :thumbsup: The cold rips through you when it's windy, other times it's not that bad. There are still a lot of small bass around and keepers mixed in. Many guys have packed it in already.The beaches aren't crowded.

The guys in LI are still out there casting away. Is seems they put the Jersey guys to shame sometimes because they don't want to give up. It could also be that their bass season closes on the 15th. And they know it will be a long cold winter before they can get a chance at a bass in April. So enjoy the time you have left, people, catch em up!:fishing:

Guess your either not fishing or not where the fish are:d, it been a zoo the last week and a half especially yesterday

OC 4 bass this am to 28" all on metal:fishing:

SharkHart
12-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Went out for a boat trip i knew wasn't going to be good....Before though I get two fish around 30"s and lose a third in 15 mins as the sun comes up then 5.5 hours of the coldest miserable trip ever which produced 1 bass around 30", shoulda stayed on land :)

DarkSkies
12-05-2010, 06:18 PM
it been a zoo the last week and a half especially yesterday

OC 4 bass this am to 28" all on metal:fishing:

I know, some guys catchin good numbers.... I haven't been able to make it down. It just ain't the same fishin without ya, OGB http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png what can I say. :don't know why: :HappyWave:
Congrats to all who are hitting it hard.

jigfreak
12-05-2010, 09:57 PM
Got a few bass this morning, 6 more before sunset. OC, needles, t-hex and teaser, and small bucktail with white grub curlytail. The biggest was a fat 27", others much smaller.

lostatsea
12-06-2010, 06:21 AM
Went out yesterday down the beach from Sandy Hook. Tried trolling and jigging. Marked some bait and some fish, but it sucked. Nothing for us.

VSdreams
12-06-2010, 06:29 AM
Fished nomoco Sun 3-4:30. There were some birdss working far out, too far to tell what it was. I got one herring on a teaser, the only action I had until I quit at dark.

surferman
12-06-2010, 06:40 AM
I gave it a try yesterday for most of the afternoon. The beach was blustery and cold. I used clams and bunker. Nothing but some small fish that kept hitting the clams. Maybe ling? Otherwise I got the skunk. Cape May area.

hookedonbass
12-06-2010, 07:17 AM
:skunk:Fished moco from 5-7am. It's cold out there guys!
First I used a needlefish, then went to metal. Not a tap.

DarkSkies
12-07-2010, 08:38 AM
Hey people, at least you're getting out there. :thumbsup: It's gonna be a long cold winter, unless ya's take a road trip to the Chesapeake. Might as well enjoy the days we have left with our few local fish. :fishing:

Finished work early yesterday and was at the ocean mid way through the ebb. It was tough to get motivated to get in the wind, 25mph steady with gusts to 40. At times it was like a wind tunnel. Stopped a few times before deciding where to start, putting additional clothes on at each stop till I started fishin.

A while ago I marked a lot of good holes. I fished about 15 of them yesterday without a tap. In frustration I waded out on the bar to cover more ground at low tide. I worked the whole area between 2 huge outsucks for an hour on the bar, nothing. Finally walked off when my fingers couldn't take it anymore. The water isn't bad, about 48-50, but getting your fingers wet fishin on the bar turns them into mini-icicles. :kooky:

Made one more stop in the afternoon, and had fish from 3 to 4:45. It was a slow but steady pick of small bass.

There were sandeels & herring around. They weren't concentrated, though. Gannets were sporadically diving about 1/4 mile out.

The fish were sluggish. The hits I missed were half-hearted, not aggressive. For me, there was no pattern to what they would hit. I couldn't buy a hit on metal, needlefish or small plugs, so I switched to different jigs and bucktails. Small rubber seemed to work best for me at that area, the smallest rubber being used as the teaser.

Managed 3 small bass. I lost some fishin time when the guy down the beach from me hooked into a large gull and I told him I would help him untangle it. I knew Finchaser will probably bust balls about stopping the fishing to save the bird :moon: but I felt sorry for the guy and he needed the help.

The ocean, as many have mentioned, is in late fall mode. Sporadic activity dawn, dusk, or neither. :huh: There was lots of dead water out there. No real pattern except to know that if you're on the beach in the afternoon, they might show up.

I actually anticipated it being a great fishin day as it was overcast and snowing periodically through the day. It didn't turn out as well as I thought.

Don't know how to explain it except to say I had to be out there, needed to find some fish.
Maybe some of ya's can understand that. :fishing:

storminsteve
12-07-2010, 09:05 AM
Fished occo yesterday one hour before sunset. It was cold and freaking windy! I got 1 bass on a 2" small teaser. Like dark said, the activity stopped about 4:45. It was weird, like someone turned the light switch off.

finchaser
12-07-2010, 12:24 PM
to the bird man:clapping::clapping:you have down graded from swans to gulls:scared: not even stopping at sea birds in between:huh:

Why catch fish when you can play with birds:laugh:

finchaser
12-07-2010, 06:41 PM
OC 7:00 to 8:30 AM and 3:00 to 4:30 PM 1 small bass lots of herring no other bait or life. I took the water temperature it's down to 44 another 2 degree's or so and the fat lady will sing. The large school of bass that was off Long Island is passing offshore through the mudhole so there's really nothing left north of here.

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/asset.php?fid=8787&uid=816&d=1261091523pretty soon

jason
12-07-2010, 08:01 PM
Time to make my debut on this site...with a skunk flag! Fished south OC and then headed up to Asbury this PM. This is most certainly becoming a lesson of diminishing returns.

Thanks for all the helpful info on this site - looking forward to learning and sharing about these frustrating migratory fish.

rip316
12-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Welcome aboard Jason. You will learn alot here. Darkskies will teach you all you need to know about swans and birdwatching. Oh yea and don't forget the rubber lizard West Wind Walley. You will really enjoy this site.

finchaser
12-07-2010, 09:43 PM
He is truly the bird man:clapping::clapping:

DarkSkies
12-08-2010, 07:37 AM
to the bird man:clapping::clapping:you have down graded from swans to gulls:scared: not even stopping at sea birds in between:huh:
Why catch fish when you can play with birds:laugh:

My goals for 2011... whatever I can do to irritate you, raise your blood pressure....
OR make ya laugh.:)..it's all part of the plan. I have a high tolerance for embarassment, so look for more bird stories in the future. :laugh:
See ya soon, Batman! :moon:

Time to make my debut on this site...with a skunk flag! Fished south OC and then headed up to Asbury this PM. This is most certainly becoming a lesson of diminishing returns.

Thanks for all the helpful info on this site - looking forward to learning and sharing about these frustrating migratory fish.

There's no shame in the skunk, Jason. at least ya gave it a shot.
Not many out there at all, the beaches are finally free from crowds. :kooky: ;)
Welcome board! :HappyWave: :fishing:

gjb1969
12-08-2010, 12:15 PM
welcome jason we all get the skunk so just keep your head up spring will be pop up before u know it :HappyWave:

jigfreak
12-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Fished Monday late afternoon, 4 shorties on rubber in OC.
Tues afternoon, zilch.
Today, the same.
The fat lady is about to sit on us all.
Welcome to S&A Jason.

storminsteve
12-08-2010, 11:28 PM
Hey Jason, welcome to the site. Where do you fish out of mostly, N or S of Manasquan?

fishinmission78
12-09-2010, 07:34 AM
Fished IBSP for an hour, just got done.
Calm flat water, skunked for 2 days in a row. Cold and lifeless. The water has to be close to 45 degrees. The fat lady was standing over me on every cast. I hate that fat b*itch.

jason
12-09-2010, 12:25 PM
Steve: This fall I mainly fished the Hook early, and finished up around Brick. My home base is Ocean Grove for another month.

It's pretty sad the run is winding down...just as your legs get conditioned to covering a lot of beach...they disappear.

I guess I was hoping for one of those banner days of "full bore" bassin, but never materialized this fall.

basshunter
12-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Fished OC this morning from 7 to 9:30. Metal and teaser, no fish for me!
I did see some birds working far out. No boats on them though. I hope that someone catches a fish today. I might fish for herring tomorrow in the inlet.

LennyD
12-11-2010, 11:10 AM
I just want to thank to you all for the reports, pictures and time. It was a pleasure to be here this year as well. Thanx Rich to keep this forum alive.
Want to wish Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to all of you.
Im done for the season, baby is coming in a month. I will try to get out next year.
Lenny

finchaser
12-11-2010, 11:40 AM
I just want to thank to you all for the reports, pictures and time. It was a pleasure to be here this year as well. Thanx Rich to keep this forum alive.
Want to wish Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to all of you.
Im done for the season, baby is coming in a month. I will try to get out next year.
Lenny

Same to you it was a pleasure and Congrat's on the baby:plastered:

cowherder
12-11-2010, 10:39 PM
Fished nomoco from 4-7pm. It was real nice out. I did catch a few herring on the teaser. One of them, I let it drop to the bottom and tried to liveline it before bringing it in. No takers. I can't believe there aren't eeven a few hungry bass underneath these herring. They can't all be down south but I guess most of them are.
I hope someone catches a bass soon, it might be the motivation I need to keep trying. Or maybe it is like banging your head against the wall, you tend to give up when your all bloody, lol!:banghead2:

finchaser
12-12-2010, 08:11 AM
water is 42 CH
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=12808&d=1292159357&thumb=1&stc=1http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/asset.php?fid=8653&uid=816&d=1260793949

storminsteve
12-17-2010, 01:04 PM
Decided to give it a try in nomoco this morning. It was cold but not as bad as it has been. Fished a small ava007 with a teaser from 7-8am on the outgoing tide. No bass but I did get 2 herring on the teaser. No one else was on the beach. I felt like I was in a foreign country and not NJ.:lookhappy:

fishinmission78
12-17-2010, 01:26 PM
Nice steve, with the surf temps being so low I haven't been motivated. Might give it a shot this weekend before more arctic temps come our way.

clamchucker
12-17-2010, 01:47 PM
There are still quite a few herring around on some of the beaches and in the BI and MI inlet areas for folks who want to make pickled herring.