PDA

View Full Version : soft baits what works and what doesnt work

gjb1969
12-06-2010, 09:05 PM
ok lets hear it guys what works and what dosent work i got a few lures i have not tryed so lets talk :HappyWave:

vpass
12-06-2010, 09:17 PM
Fin-S, and Sluggos. My best plastic baits that caught most of my fish this year is the 6 inch Natural color Sluggo. and Fin-s 5 inch same color. I'm going to try DOA shad tails. Did anyone ever use them? are they any good?

gjb1969
12-06-2010, 09:33 PM
i have not tryed them but i mite have u tryed the titi-shadick it looks like it should work but i dont know:huh:

DarkSkies
12-07-2010, 08:04 AM
In colder water I downsize. Smaller is better and usually matches the bait profile at that temp unless adult bunker are around. Peanut bunker have appreared in great numbers only sporadically this year, so the standard storm shad profile has not worked as well for me in NJ.

Right now with the rainfish around, the small 4" fin-S is killer. Sluggos have been like candy when the sandeels are thick. Many guys have the mindset that you need big wood to nail big bass. Back in Oct, a kid nailed a 46lb bass at night from the surf. I believe he was using a sluggo. For the Fall 2010 season, the sandeels in the surf line have been very small. One trick a lot of us have been doing is biting or cutting the head off 7" sluggos to make them shorter.

gjb1969
12-07-2010, 11:57 AM
i want to try odd lures so thats what i will look for when i go to the shows as of now i am not fishing the big lures now so i am looking for next year

storminsteve
12-08-2010, 11:26 PM
Sluggos were #1 for me this year.

fishinmission78
12-09-2010, 08:35 AM
Fin-S and bass assassins are my go-to soft plastics. Great spearing and minnow imitators. gjb, the wave fishing softbaits you posted in that pic look just like bass assassins. How long are they and how much for the 3-pak?

gjb1969
12-09-2010, 07:05 PM
well like i have had the fin s the slugos i want something differant like the pic i posted come on guys find something diffreant thats what i am doing :HappyWave:

albiealert
12-10-2010, 09:16 AM
It seems like you NJ guys are big fans of sluggos. I don't use them that much. I have better luck with the Tsunami swim shad and the zoom series of soft rubber. You can get them cheap at any big box store, and the zooms resemble spearing and small baitfish which are almost always around in the rivers.

gjb1969
12-10-2010, 07:48 PM
they work well here the profile is killer down here with the sand eels around

stripercrazy
10-17-2011, 04:21 PM
I like the tsunami swim shad. You can use it in all kinds of surf and if the water is cloudy the fish will find it anyway.

gjb1969
10-17-2011, 05:24 PM
that is so true they have got fish when i was going to pack it in tie on a swimshad and end up staying so i have a good number of them but most have not seen any water this year have not fished that much

surfstix1963
10-17-2011, 07:25 PM
For some reason the tsunami's are better than the Storm shads they both work but the tsunami's tend to rais more fish I don't do much with rubber lures I just assume throw a hopkins or kastmaster.

finchaser
10-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Fin-S, and Sluggos. My best plastic baits that caught most of my fish this year is the 6 inch Natural color Sluggo. and Fin-s 5 inch same color. I'm going to try DOA shad tails. Did anyone ever use them? are they any good?

I use the DOA 5 1/5 inch jerk bait in green back all the time. the DOA shad tails are only 3" but work in the river for weakfish

finchaser
10-17-2011, 08:06 PM
For some reason the tsunami's are better than the Storm shads they both work but the tsunami's tend to rais more fish I don't do much with rubber lures I just assume throw a hopkins or kastmaster.

What he said^^^ When I do fish rubber it's always a lead jig head and a tail IMO they catch better . But you can't beat a hopkins in the fall

bababooey
10-18-2011, 08:04 PM
I like Hogy's on a 1 1/2 or 2 oz jighead from the boat when the bluefish have left and the water temps are in the 50's. Good bass killers when you have sandeels around.