PDA

View Full Version : Where does your responsibility begin?

porgy75
12-10-2010, 08:32 PM
I was reading on another site how a guy was watching a surf fisherman catch over 25 small bass and keep them. He later asked people for the number to report someone the next time he see's this.

Why did he wait? Why did he not call information or take a picture on his cell phone then follow him to his car and take another picture of him loading them in, along with his lic plate?

IMO this guy is just as wrong as the one doing the poaching.

At what point does your responsibility begin when it comes to reporting poachers?

Monty
12-10-2010, 11:27 PM
I think that is a tough question.
The guy catching the fish could have retaliated and really hurt the guy.
The guy watching may also get to fish a hand full of times a year, so stopping and going back to the vehicle can really screw up an outing.
I think you can't criticize the guy who was watching him, would have been great for him to do something, but other things effect how someone reacts.
On the other hand I am so sick of society being so screwed up, it would be great if we would hear that a couple surfcasters approached the guy keeping the fish, broke his rod, threw the rest of his tackle in the ocean and told him he got off easy this time.

rip316
12-11-2010, 01:00 AM
I like the latter part of your comment Monty. Poaching is a huge reason Why the stock numbers are down. The illegals take a large number of the smaller fish that will soon become breeders. It is not our fault that they are allowed to get away with it, it's the gov't. I have heard stories about cops, fish and game, that are actually told not to bother to ticket these people because they cannot pay the fine or that they have fake id's and will not be able to be found anyway. What is going on with this country. Very frustrating. If I got caught with a fish that was 1/16 of an inch off they would throw the book at me. Effumall.

surfstix1963
12-11-2010, 04:30 AM
Take pics or keep the DEC number w/ you like mentioned but don't get in someones face it is just not worth it.After the first short kept I would have been on the phone I would thin k the best thing would be to get the plate # if the DEC doesn't arrive in time.

surfwalker
12-11-2010, 09:00 AM
My personal opinion on this is that your responsibility begins with the first step on the sand. I don’t advocate confrontations, but sometimes a casual, firm statement must be directed to certain individuals. These shorts he is taking are the future of the stocks, and just aren’t there for him personally, but for all of us.

I would be compelled to speak to such an individual, and if his arrogance prevailed, then I would walk back to my car and make a call to the proper authorities. Caution and common sense should always be taken in these situations, but I could not just watch and say nothing. I have been put on my back more than once for speaking my mind. The choice is yours.

hookset
12-11-2010, 11:47 AM
I see the point for not getting involved. No one wants a fight on the beach. But like surfwalker said, your responsibility begins the moment your feet step on the sand.

You want to look the other way, fine, thats your choice.
I read a report where a guy on another site was whining that he went out to the beach, and another guy stuffed a short bass in his hoodie, and left. The guy did nothing to confront him, and kept fishing.
He couldn't even say to him "Hey guy the size limit for striped bass is 28", did you know that?" :don't know why: That could have been said in a decent way without getting into a fight.

Then this guy goes on to gloat that while he was driving home, he saw the poacher pulled over by the state police getting a traffic ticket. He was very happy to point out that fact, like it was karma or something.

No it wasn't karma, dude, you still had a responsibility to at least say something to the poacher. If you didn't want to do that, fine, like surfwalker said, go to your car and call the DEP or the rangers.

But this guy did nothing???? griped about it in his head, and later on rants about it on the internet??? Dude that is so lame, you should ask your Dad to buy you a set of balls for Christmas. :rolleyes:

Or ask your girlfriend. But if you only have the balls to gripe about it on the internet, then maybe you don't even deserve a girlfriend, because you are a coward and what woman wants to be with a guy who doesn't have any balls?

hookset
12-11-2010, 11:52 AM
Here is the NJ poaching hotlines numbers that dark has here for us, and the link to the thread. Copy them and call them up, you have no risk at all if you do this, and then you are actually doing something.

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?45-Sandy-Hook-IBSP-Info-NJ-Fishing-regulations-Violations-Reporting-Info

Feel free to copy these numbers and keep them with you for easy reference. -- bunkerjoe
NJ Operation Game Thief - 800-222-0456

NJ Poaching violations report (24hr hotline)
(877)-927-6337

South Jersey Warden -
609-748-2050

Cape May county
609-743-1149

Sandy Hook Fishing Violations - 732-872-5970
Sandy Hook General Info - 732-872-0115

US Coast Guard/OOD - 732-872-3428

Marine Enforcement violations - (609) 748-2050

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=45 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=45)
2008 Commercial Regulations
http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/pdf/2008/comregs08.pdf (http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/pdf/2008/comregs08.pdf)

For any suspected Dumping or Environmental violations, DEP:
1-877-927-6337

Pebbles
12-11-2010, 12:38 PM
If he is letting some guy walk off the beach with 25 illegal fish, I wonder how many times he took shorts himself?

dogfish
12-11-2010, 04:19 PM
But this guy did nothing???? griped about it in his head, and later on rants about it on the internet??? Dude that is so lame, you should ask your Dad to buy you a set of balls for Christmas. :rolleyes:

Or ask your girlfriend. But if you only have the balls to gripe about it on the internet, then maybe you don't even deserve a girlfriend, because you are a coward and what woman wants to be with a guy who doesn't have any balls?

:laugh: :clapping::clapping:

Monty
12-11-2010, 04:27 PM
I read a report where a guy on another site was whining that he went out to the beach, and another guy stuffed a short bass in his hoodie, and left. The guy did nothing to confront him, and kept fishing.
He couldn't even say to him "Hey guy the size limit for striped bass is 28", did you know that?" :don't know why: That could have been said in a decent way without getting into a fight. But this guy did nothing???? griped about it in his head, and later on rants about it on the internet??? Dude that is so lame, you should ask your Dad to buy you a set of balls for Christmas. :rolleyes: Or ask your girlfriend. But if you only have the balls to gripe about it on the internet, then maybe you don't even deserve a girlfriend, because you are a coward and what woman wants to be with a guy who doesn't have any balls?

The internet gives everyone 18" guns.
Thanks for the phone numbers:thumbsup:

rip316
12-11-2010, 06:47 PM
I copied the numbers

bluesdude71
12-12-2010, 10:55 AM
I think Joe or someone else here said that. Simple but true.

albiealert
12-13-2010, 10:52 AM
These shorts he is taking are the future of the stocks, and just aren’t there for him personally, but for all of us..

The choice is yours.

Well-said. Multiply the effect of not saying something, thousands of times. We are all stewards of the striped bass resource. It belongs to all of us collectively.