PDA

View Full Version : What will you do over the winter?

cardoc765
12-14-2010, 11:54 AM
Just posting a thread for guys to post, what are they going to do in place of fishing over the winter.

For me, I am going to start cleaning up all my gear. Clear out what I will not use and gear up for the spring. I have stuff I'll never use and some useless old rods that have no value at all. they are just taking up space. Service my reels and hang out and enjoy the warmth in the house and plan my attack for the spring.

gjb1969
12-14-2010, 12:57 PM
i will get my small rods go get some worms and clam and go after ling tommycod and white perch and play with small stripers i am not going to stop fishing i was going to hold out till march i will just keep fishing cold or no cold:kooky:

vpass
12-14-2010, 03:45 PM
I have a few Plugs that needs Painting and new hooks, and split rings. I have to service some reels, and clean my garage of all the stuff that i will never use.

I'm currently doing some research on Trout fishing in some of our local rivers up north. I'm looking to get into flyfishing for trout this winter on warmer days. I'm also looking to purchase a 4 wt. flyrod for trout fishing and some fresh water fishing. May do recon this weekend, this something new to me.:don't know why:

can't wait to April.

finchaser
12-14-2010, 04:22 PM
Build you and Jimmy Rods:HappyWave:

Doublerunner
12-14-2010, 07:10 PM
I have to service a couple of reels and replace some hooks on some plugs. I have several rods to build and I'd like to make some bucktails from start to finish....especially some 2.5 oz white for Montauk next fall

rip316
12-14-2010, 07:16 PM
I will be sitting by the fire reliving the moment Cardoc tripped over the wood stump and fell to all fours. Thanks Finchaser.

cardoc765
12-14-2010, 08:47 PM
Relive the good moments of this past season. Figure what to do about the times I kicked myself in the a$$ for going out fishing in horrid weather. (thanks to Dark for one of them in the begining of spring) My body still hasn't defrosted. Hope and pray that RIP has a hillarious moment this coming season, so i have something to laugh about by the fire next winter too LMFAO. :kooky::laugh::moon:. Contemplate the wonderful times this coming year will bring with Mrs cardoc, RIP, Finchaser, Dark, and others I have fished with here. Wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Thanks so much for thinking of me finchaser.

rip316
12-14-2010, 08:53 PM
This winter I will be working my *** off trying to save extra money so can afford to use my boat more than 6 times this year.

storminsteve
12-14-2010, 11:08 PM
I will be sitting by the fire reliving the moment Cardoc tripped over the wood stump and fell to all fours. Thanks Finchaser.

A true friend would have been ready with the camera so you could have helped him live that embarassing moment forever. You guys sound like a bunch of fishing maniacs, thanks for the entertaining stories.
I will be working on the "honey do" list. She gets the gift of me being around and helping her with all the household stuff, except for when I'm watching football. I put most of my gear away. Still have to change out a few hooks on some beat up plugs. Then it's time to hope and pray that we have a short winter. Happy Holidays to all of you guys too.

jigfreak
12-14-2010, 11:22 PM
I didn't put my stuff away yet. I might not last. Either have to find some warm water to fish in NJ, or take a ride down to where the fish are in Virginia. Road trip anyone?

rip316
12-15-2010, 06:39 AM
I don't think I want to take that treck to Va. I stll have 3 weeks of vacation left and I want to use them in the Spring. Hopefully the bass fishing will be good. 3weeks of fishing, I better have put some in the box in that time frame.

DarkSkies
12-15-2010, 06:51 AM
When ya taking the vacation, Rip?

finchaser
12-15-2010, 11:36 AM
When ya taking the vacation, Rip?

Don't tell him he'll stalk you;)

rip316
12-15-2010, 01:41 PM
I do not know if I want to hang out with a guy that researches How to jerk off a turkey. Just not my style. I'd rather hang out with guys that fall over wooden stumps and falls to all fours so I can laugh my *** off. (I just cant seem to resist it.)

DarkSkies
12-15-2010, 08:08 PM
Don't tell him he'll stalk you;)

Yeah, I coulda made some real dough if I ever decided to become a private detective. :rolleyes:

I do not know if I want to hang out with a guy that researches How to jerk off a turkey. Just not my style.

Hey it's your loss bro. :moon: :HappyWave:All stories were true, only the players names were changed. We spent a lot of time early spring looking for fish that would hit artificials. Conditions weren't always optimal, so often the best part of the night was listening to OGB tell another story. :thumbsup:

He's got more stories than a monkey's uncle. :cool:

vpass
12-15-2010, 08:40 PM
I'm also looking to purchase a 4 wt. flyrod for trout fishing and some fresh water fishing. May do recon this weekend, this something new to me.:don't know why:

can't wait to April.

I got goal number 1 done. I just bought a 4 wt. TFO Finnese Series fly rod. I'm looking at reels now thinking Orvis. Should be scotting one of the rivers this weekend. I killed 4 hours today doing research.

surfstix1963
12-16-2010, 06:21 AM
No real maint. for me since I hardly got out this year but I do have some plugs left from last season to finish and 21 more I'm letting the sealer dry now.Tie some teasers for the mailman for Christmas again maybe some more bucktails continually cleaning all the crap that gets thrown around on a daily basis and waiting it out till Jan. to see if the surgeon is going to screw up my spring season again at least I got to throw some of the poppers I built for a little bit this year.

dogfish
12-16-2010, 01:21 PM
Rip, I would tread carefully around a guy like ds. The turkey stories are demented, makes you wonder.:kooky:
I have a bathroom the wife has been bugging me to finish. Done with all the end of season maintenance and putting the gear away for a month now. Spend a little more time with the kids and maybe build a snowman or 2 for them. This year we might go for a big igloo if it snows enough.

rip316
12-16-2010, 04:58 PM
I love to play in the snow with the kids. I usually take them sno tubing to a local hill. My daughter is getting pretty good at sno boarding. Scares me to death but, I have to let her live. We usually make a big fire in the backyard and drink beer . We have the pizza delivered to the fence and eat outside and build snowmen. Lots of fun.

Monty
12-16-2010, 09:25 PM
I have a full plate of family stuff for a few weeks/month or so.
Then I got me some popper blanks to screw up (enough to get a few pieces that will hopefully resemble a popper). Also need to replace the tip on one of my favorite rods.
Will tie some teasers as the season gets close.

vpass
12-16-2010, 10:28 PM
Then I got me some popper blanks to screw up (enough to get a few pieces that will hopefully resemble a popper).

:wow: That's alot of poppers. Did you make them or purchased them? Looks like you are going to have some fun.

Monty
12-16-2010, 10:36 PM
:wow: That's alot of poppers. Did you make them or purchased them? Looks like you are going to have some fun.

Purchased them, and I am really looking forward to start working on a few.

gjb1969
12-16-2010, 11:22 PM
thats a lot of poppers all i can say is wow

Monty
12-17-2010, 12:11 AM
thats a lot of poppers all i can say is wow

Its a ridicules amount, will distribute some after I figure a way to drill them :huh:

surfstix1963
12-17-2010, 03:31 AM
Do they need to be drilled for the through wire or completely for the belly weight and tail wt.?Thats alot of poppers:drool:

DarkSkies
12-17-2010, 09:21 AM
Holy crap, Monty you went all out.
Busy as a beaver you'll be. :cool:

bluesdude71
12-17-2010, 10:13 AM
I have some painting to do on the 2nd floor and in the basement. Some plumbing repairs, and next spring when the ground gets unfrozen I want to terrace our yard with some landscaping pavers and borders so we can get more use out of it.

plugcrazy
12-17-2010, 10:34 AM
Restocking my plug inventory. Downsizing a bit this winter and trying to emphazize thin profile plastic swimmers like the old redfins.

wish4fish
12-17-2010, 11:01 AM
hang at the gogo rama in lh.:wheeeee:

gjb1969
12-17-2010, 08:43 PM
I am also trying to fill a taclke box with soft plastics for next spring

Monty
12-17-2010, 09:00 PM
Do they need to be drilled for the through wire or completely for the belly weight and tail wt.?Thats alot of poppers:drool:

They are complete blanks. Someone had a load for sale, so I thought, why not.
So need to drill all holes.
I have started looking for a used drill press for starters..........

Monty
12-30-2010, 09:45 PM
Replacing this tip on my Lami Super Surf rod.
Tips off, currently figuring out the rod tip to order......gotta like how they made that easy.

surfwalker
01-01-2011, 10:33 AM
The usual routine that has been done every year.

Clean the bag out, all the dead sand dabs/flies that have accumulated at the bottom. Rehab the reels/plugs (change all the hardware on the plugs- thru wire, swivels, rings, hooks, repaint).

Tie up some teasers. Replenish items that were lost or retired.

Check the sticks for worn or deteriorated guides.

Update the log to see what really produced this past season.

Print out the first light and tide charts for the upcoming year for the area I plug. Tie up some different size leaders.
Read some old stories from the log. Among other things.

Finally wash the clothes that were worn throughout the season (or maybe just throw them out-to be determined)

In general, just stay in contact with something that has to do with the ocean.

gjb1969
01-02-2011, 12:40 AM
well fish or no fish i will be out on sunday close to home just casting some plugs so if i get some rat bass cool with me if not its still ok :rolleyes:

rip316
01-02-2011, 06:22 PM
Isn't the season closed til March? Hope you got your special January license. You can only fish the ocean now for bass. Maybe you know something I don't.

speedy
01-03-2011, 12:52 PM
I have a full plate of family stuff for a few weeks/month or so.
Then I got me some popper blanks to screw up (enough to get a few pieces that will hopefully resemble a popper). Also need to replace the tip on one of my favorite rods.
Will tie some teasers as the season gets close.
monty do you have a drill press if you do the jig is very easy you can do the wire hole and make ajig for the belly holes
if you need some input pm me i will help you !!!

fishinmission78
01-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Isn't the season closed til March? Hope you got your special January license. You can only fish the ocean now for bass. Maybe you know something I don't.

Not if you fish where the water is radioactive, there were guys there when I drove by this weekend.

rip316
01-03-2011, 04:17 PM
I know where you mean. My case of cabin fever has never been that bad to fish there. Just not for me.

Monty
01-04-2011, 06:02 AM
monty do you have a drill press if you do the jig is very easy you can do the wire hole and make ajig for the belly holes
if you need some input pm me i will help you !!!
will be looking for a used drill press late this month (hopefully will have some spare time). Thanks, don't worry, if/when I need help I will reach out for it,, thank you.