PDA

View Full Version : What size do you use?

baitstealer
01-17-2011, 05:37 PM
Does it make that big of a difference as to the size fishing rod you use compared to your height?

Monty
01-17-2011, 06:19 PM
I use rods that are 9'10" to 11'. I'm 5'8", I like the butt end at 22", and cut all my rods down to that, its what's comfortable for me. The overall length is based on what I'm throwing, where I'm fishing, what I feel like using (not relative to my height).
Finchaser should have a good answer for you on this considering he has been building rods for fisherman far a long, long time.

surfstix1963
01-17-2011, 06:35 PM
I also throw rods from 8ft.6"-11ft. I'm 5'8" also I'm most comfortable throwing my 10 ft the 11 can get to be too much but has the capacity to throw big wood and heavy metals I only use the small rod in the spring in the back bays and rivers but as Monty said Fin can probably give you the proper answer I'm just referring to factory rods and a custom is a whole different story .

gjb1969
01-17-2011, 06:50 PM
I HAVE THROWN RODS UP TO 15 I ALLWAYS GO TO MY 10 FOOT ROD IT FEELS THE BEST:fishing:

finchaser
01-17-2011, 07:50 PM
Basically what Monty and Surfstix said

Yes it does if your under 6' I wouldn't go over 11' but then again you should not really need a rod over 11' in the NE. Over 11' the wind resistance against the rod can hamper loading also longer rods can fatigue smaller guys. Longer rods also tend to be front heavy throwing off an outfits balance unless you are using a 10,000 to 18,000 size reel.

Me personally 8' to 10' knowing how to cast also helps. I can keep up with the best of them with my 9' or 10' as many here can attest to.

rip316
01-18-2011, 07:16 PM
Basically what Monty and Surfstix said

Yes it does if your under 6' I wouldn't go over 11' but then again you should not really need a rod over 11' in the NE. Over 11' the wind resistance against the rod can hamper loading also longer rods can fatigue smaller guys. Longer rods also tend to be front heavy throwing off an outfits balance unless you are using a 10,000 to 18,000 size reel.

Me personally 8' to 10' knowing how to cast also helps. I can keep up with the best of them with my 9' or 10' as many here can attest to.

I have seen Fin cast in person. He can send a 2 oz metal or plug a freakin mile effortlessly. It's Amazing. I want him to build me a rod this winter for the spring. Prolly get a 9' . Jet black. All black. No fancy threads just black. That will be one sexy rod. The only thing I want on it is his signature in gold. Total class.