PDA

View Full Version : Gators

Monty
01-23-2011, 01:30 PM
When I think back on previous fishing experiences, some of the ones that stand out, ones that got my adrenaline flowing. Big Blues stand out, the gators. In the dead of night, alone, calm water. Then a Gator slams a plug or Hogy and all hell breaks loose. Drag screaming, calm water ripped up as the Gator causes all kinds of havoc. What a rush, the hit and the sheer power of the blue would double my heart rate and put a smile on my face and put me in the "game on mode" in a split second. I'm really looking forward to the 2011 surf fishing season, had enough snow for two years and miss those Gators big time!!!!

surfstix1963
01-23-2011, 01:38 PM
I agree with you Monty big gators are the best they can really challenge a fisherman ripping line off running right then left right sometimes at ya jumping you never know what they will do they keep you on your toes stripers are nice but pound for pound give me GATORS.

gjb1969
01-23-2011, 02:28 PM
i cant wait till they come a calling i think this year i mite change it up and make blues my main target and just see how it goes i will have more than i need for them to chew up and still not run out if the bass show up this year i hope to be able to just fish get my stuff together get on the train and go:fishing::HappyWave:

fishinmission78
01-23-2011, 03:32 PM
Bluefish are like northern barracudas. Pound for pound they rule over a fight a bass wil give you. Last year I had some tail walkers in the 15 and up lb class. Drag screaming runs and unbeatable action. Can't wait till they come back.

BassBuddah
01-24-2011, 03:35 PM
I like catching them in the spring when they are full of **** and vinegar. In the fall I prefer to focus my attention on bass. Unfortunately you can't dictate what will be mixed in when the bait is in the surf. I would rather catch bluefish than no fish at all though.

vpass
01-24-2011, 05:40 PM
Can't wait. I'm really looking foward for their arrival. Going to use the flyrod on them this year. looking to beat by personal best of 8 pounds on the fly rod. should be able to do that before May.(if it is anything like last few years).

Monty
01-24-2011, 10:37 PM
Last year was very spotty for me with blues, 2009 was nice.
Vpass, a 15 pound blue on a fly rod would be awesome.

rip316
01-25-2011, 06:01 PM
I love the way blues fight just as much as you guys but, I want to catch bass. If I get into blues while fishing for bass that is just fine bass is the target though.

surfstix1963
01-25-2011, 06:37 PM
Get down deep fast if the bass are under the blues you will have a better shot at them tins bucktails sinking poppers its tough not to get the blues but not impossible and don't chase the blues when they move on you will have a good shot at bass also.

rip316
01-25-2011, 06:42 PM
Get down deep fast if the bass are under the blues you will have a better shot at them tins bucktails sinking poppers its tough not to get the blues but not impossible and don't chase the blues when they move on you will have a good shot at bass also.

I hate it when the bass are under the blues when in a frenzy because you get alot of biteoffs and don't get either species.

SurfPlug
01-25-2011, 08:17 PM
I am hoping not to catch any gators or blues this coming season.

cowherder
01-28-2011, 08:50 AM
I love big aggressive bluefish. Monty you got those 2 on the plug and teaser? I'll bet you thought you had a 25lb striper on the line when they hit.

VSdreams
02-22-2011, 12:42 PM
Can't wait. I'm really looking foward for their arrival. Going to use the flyrod on them this year. looking to beat by personal best of 8 pounds on the fly rod. should be able to do that before May.(if it is anything like last few years).

Wow 8 lbs on the fly rod? That must have been an awesome fight! How long did it take to bring it in?

vpass
02-22-2011, 09:48 PM
Wow 8 lbs on the fly rod? That must have been an awesome fight! How long did it take to bring it in?

Not long a few min. after long run with me palming the spool, and using the butt of the flyrod to fight the fish I wipped it fast, same with the 15 pound bass this past October. I got it in less then 5 min. Hard to tell time goes slow motion when adrenalin is pumbing thru your veins.:)