PDA

View Full Version : Cod Round Up 2/24/2011 Island Current Report

mick2360
02-24-2011, 07:30 PM
Dark and myself teamed up on the Island Current. We fished the Block Island area with the trip from Snug Harbor, RI, to the grounds taking about ninety minutes. First couplle of drops were slow....Rich and I were smelling the skunk. About 4:30 am, five hours into the trip, we beagn a pick of fish. The scene was incredible with Six or so party boats pushing into an area of a football field. It was a clam bite, with some good natured ribbing being tossed back and forth between the boats (The IC, Celtic Quest, both Vikings, the HelenH and several smaller boats. Rich studied the techniques of one or two guys who were catching on the other boats; it was a deadstick clam bite. We picked away, looking forward to the dawn in a couple of hours when we figured the bite would turn on. The IC moved for about 30 minutes as the sun rose....nothing. After an hour, the cod started chewing BIG TIME. Lock and load fishing for about two hours. Rich and I boated about 45-50 fish with Dark using his infamous two at a time cod technique. It was a riot, one of the best trips I've been on, even with the boats being railed.

The crew, led by Captain James was helpful and professional, under the most trying of circumstances (railed boat). Thanks to Captain Chris for getting us on to a sold out boat; that's right, we knew ahead of time.

Finally, fsihing with Rich is just a great experience, he goes out of his way to help less fortunate fisherman and is just generally a friendly guy. One gentleman, three weeks out of major heart surgery, was ready to adopt Rich!

So that's it guys. Nows the time. Expect crowds but don't be intimidated by them. Now is the time. And just a reminder, throw some of these fish back. This is a great fishery that is under some stress. Let's use this resource wisely.

Mick

Pebbles
02-24-2011, 07:51 PM
Sounds like you both had a great time. I am so glad you got Rich out there. He had been talking about it for a while now.

He should be home shortly, so it will be nice to hear all about it. What time did the trip end? I hope you guys get to go again soon. :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
02-24-2011, 08:06 PM
As usual Mick, I'll follow up with my lengthy 1 page, 95 paragraph, report. :laugh:
But you said all that really needs to be said here in a few short paragraphs, and said it very concisely and effectively. :thumbsup:

I just finished checking the stories by all the Captains who were out there today. :huh:

After seeing today's fishery first-hand, I realized that some of the capts embellish more than I did when I "created" the life-stories of rip and cardoc in the Angler of the Month thread.

Don't want to single out any one capt or boat as I realized that everyone is involved in the hype that goes on in these winter fisheries. I do understand it, though...times are tough and charters need to make $$. Many are hurting with this economy. So the mission is to get anglers out there using every embellishment phrase known to man. It is what is is, it's all good. :cool:

Some things in a quick analysis before I start posting some of the stories of last night and today, when I get a chance.... (or maybe I can live with this brief summary :scared: and post the pics and some cool stories of the people we met) http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.png

1. The vampire night bite, is over for now. It was an extremely slow pick for most of the night. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png In fact, it would be more accurate to say the night bite was non-existent, as a few dozen cod were caught in the night, as well as a handful of teen fish, by the literally hundreds of anglers who were fishing limited choice pieces of real estate up there, some of which were only 200' X 1000' and had 12 boats drifting them at the same time.
There was an intense night bite where they were limited out by early morning just after sunrise, but that ended 3 days ago.

2. The larger cod that everyone is hyping represent about 1-5% of the total catches. Although that statement may disappoint some and provoke strong disagreement, I know what we saw today because we were there. Cod fishing is different every day, we all need to be aware of that. There are no guarantees. Pool fish on our boat today was in the low teens, the same size of pool fish on many other boats. I just felt that some honesty in reporting was warranted here.

3. The cod stocks may already be in danger, despite the fishery only being reopened for the last 2 years for recreationals. Not many would be willing to bring this up, because of worries they might shut it down again. In fact, some may be irritated at me, by posting this statement here. That's fine, if that's your reaction to reading this. :don't know why:

However, this is not just an opinion, it's a collection of opinions and shared perceptions from private conversations with guys who have been codfishing for years, and are well-aware of the ups and downs..... :learn:

think about it, 2 years ago when the fishery was re-opened, the stories of the 40 and 50# cod were coming in daily, with pics to back it up. :viking:

However, thats not the case just 2 short years later.
In NJ there are currently no total limits on cod, where they are hyping the bite as well, and sometimes hammering them.
In LI, the 10 fish "limit" is only "suggested". No one will stop someone from catching and keeping 2, 3, or 4 times your legal limit of minimum sized fish.

Mick said this very clearly and simply, folks. Being greedy with these fish will hurt us all in the long run, and as of now, the "long run" is projected to be a short window before people start whining "Where are all the big cod, did they go offshore to some secret spot?" :don't know why: :kooky:

That also raises the "which came first chicken or egg" issue.... were we catching these cod because there are thousands of them in the open ocean like they used to be, or were we catching them because hundreds of us and dozens of boats concentrated in a few small areas to draw these fish in? A reminder to the skeptics out there that no ling, whiting, or other fish, (other than a few skates) were caught in the open water, it was like a vast wasteland out there, other than the cod.... http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png

We only kept 13 fish between us today because we were trying to stay away from the 22" fish.

DarkSkies
02-24-2011, 08:23 PM
Now for the good stuff!
4.The current codfishing, when it's good, is outstanding! :clapping: We each caught around 50 fish or more in that 2 hour window. We had 5 hours of dismal fishing and everyone's spirits were sinking. That all turned around between 7-9am, when you had a fish on every 30 secs to 1 minute if you paid attention, with many double headers. :wheeeee:

5. "Lock and load" fishing for market and smaller cod is as easy as mackerel fishing when they are in abundance. The key to high numbers, as Mick mentioned, was to get your rig to the bottom ASAP, keep it there without moving it, and jig a bit once you got the first cod until you got the 2nd one for the double-header.

6. Fishing is the great equalizer.... People from all walks of life and cultures came together today and had a great time. The hype over the bite was such that every boat was railed to full capacity! There was not one extra spot available on any of the standard head boats. I can't even imagine what fishing on Fri and Sat is like, as today, in the middle of the week, you had 1' on either side of you to fish, that was it. Nonetheless, even with the inevitable tangles, braid, fish, sinkers, etc. people were very civil to each other, a good vibe out there even when the fishing sucked for the 5 cold night hours. Even that wasn't bad, the ocean being like a lake, and winds almost non-existent. It was the perfect time to be out there. Many new friendships were forged.

7. Good friends and good people....Right upfront, I gotta say that Mick is a manipulative SOB! He guilted me into that trip, as last night I had a hella time making that boat for the departure time. It was a bad night, I bailed on fishing, but he wouldn't take "NO!" for an answer. I thank you for that, my friend. :clapping: :thumbsup: If it wasn't for your persistence, you would have come home telling me about the great action I missed. I truly appreciate your persistence and friendship. :HappyWave:

8. Good health, and failing health....I'll have some great stories about that, too.
Mick lost 90lbs on a new diet, I almost didn't recognize ya, Mick! :clapping::clapping: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: More about that in another thread. Very proud of ya, bro!
Also the stories of people who had been in the hospital, close to death, and came out yesterday to fish again, true grit (my new friend Eddie P).

9 Where would we be without the Mates and Capts who work hard to put us into fish out there? Capt James, of the Island Current III, and all the mates worked in overdrive among crowded conditions to keep us fishing. They all deserve a round of support. I would recommend the Island Current to anyone. And at $95, it's one of the most affordably priced cod boats out there. Top-notch crew all the way, thanks for all you did today, guys. :clapping::clapping:

Thanks to Finchaser and others who helped with subtle cod advice and tips. It really added to our success.
And many thanks to Mick, who pushed me to go on that trip, being that the weather forecast going forward was terrible. That was the best open time window we could have picked, and I will remember that great action for years. :thumbsup: :drool: :HappyWave:

bababooey
02-24-2011, 10:46 PM
Now is the time. And just a reminder, throw some of these fish back. This is a great fishery that is under some stress. Let's use this resource wisely.
Mick
:clapping::clapping: Or else we'll be doomed to repeat the lessons of the past when the cod were all but wiped out by the Russians and the factory ships.

As usual Mick, I'll follow up with my lengthy 1 page, 95 paragraph, report. :laugh:
But you said all that really needs to be said here in a few short paragraphs, and said it very concisely and effectively. :thumbsup:

I just finished checking the stories by all the Captains who were out there today. :huh:

Some things in a quick analysis before I start posting some of the stories of last night and today, when I get a chance....(or maybe I can live with this brief summary :scared: and post the pics and some cool stories of the people we met) http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.png

Short paragraphs? Brief summary?:ROFLMAO
DS if that was short and brief, you probably consider War and Peace to be a short story.:rolleyes:
Sounds like you guys had a great time, what would you say was the most effective color for the cod teasers today?

mick2360
02-25-2011, 08:19 AM
As we speak, 'Dr Frankenstein' is in his basement, writing a 1,400 paragraph full summary of the trip. The dozen or so paragraphs describing the carryon gear brought by fellow anglers should be memorable. :rolleyes:

Most of the guys were using pink or orange teasers. I scored on a white grub and a black bass worm with a chatreuse tail. I had trouble getting Rich to try any of these, which I prepared by soaking in bio-edge attractant, much to the delight of my Greek neighbor (thankfully he was well mannered). The scent may have helped me score during the pick but didn't seem a factor during the blitz conditions.

The fish wanted the snot although at the end of the day I did jig up four smaller fish with a jig....great fun. I wish I had moved to it sooner.

Finally, the whistle blew and MOST OF US STOPPED FISHIHNG. :HappyWave:

Back at the dock tired but happy. Great trip.

mick2360
02-25-2011, 08:38 AM
Sounds like you both had a great time. I am so glad you got Rich out there. He had been talking about it for a while now.

He should be home shortly, so it will be nice to hear all about it. What time did the trip end? I hope you guys get to go again soon. :HappyWave:

Thanks for a nice reply. Rich, as always, had wonderful things to say about you. Looking forward to meeting you one of these days.

clamchucker
02-25-2011, 11:58 AM
3. The cod stocks may already be in danger, despite the fishery only being reopened for the last 2 years for recreationals. Not many would be willing to bring this up, because of worries they might shut it down again. In fact, some may be irritated at me, by posting this statement here. That's fine, if that's your reaction to reading this. :don't know why:

However, this is not just an opinion, it's a collection of opinions and shared perceptions from private conversations with guys who have been codfishing for years, and are well-aware of the ups and downs..... :learn:

think about it, 2 years ago when the fishery was re-opened, the stories of the 40 and 50# cod were coming in daily, with pics to back it up. :viking:

However, thats not the case just 2 short years later.
In NJ there are currently no total limits on cod, where they are hyping the bite as well, and sometimes hammering them.

darkskies the cod stocks are nothing like they were years ago. In the 1960's there were more cod than most of you young folks could imagine. We used to catch gunny sacks full of them. Whiting and ling, the same thing. We never in our lifetimes imagined these fish could be in danger. Even with the commercial operations and the foreigners, we didn't know it could hurt us. We were all guilty back then because we thought of fish as a limitless resource. Now, of course, we realize the error in that thinking.
Good trip and report dark and mick.

dogfish
02-25-2011, 12:07 PM
darkskies the cod stocks are nothing like they were years ago. In the 1960's there were more cod than most of you young folks could imagine. We used to catch gunny sacks full of them.

And folks would catch cod from the beach in Ma, way back when. My pops used to get them, great stories he told me. DS ya came up to Rhody and ya didn't call me? You were right next door! :2flip: :beatin: When ya write that 1400 paragraph report please don't forget the pics. I hope you took some for us.

storminsteve
02-25-2011, 04:51 PM
Nice report Mick and Dark. I hope that fishing lasts until the middle of March so I can get a crack at them.

DarkSkies
02-26-2011, 11:34 AM
Dogfish, Bababooey, and everyone else, glad you enjoy the "short stories" I get paid by the word, ya know...:moon: :laugh:

Thanks for all the feedback of how things used to be. :thumbsup:

Some pics

This is Mike the Codfishin maniac!
He gets out every chance he can get. He and his buddy had a good spot in the stern, aft of us. They put a hurting on the cod. Nice meetin ya, Mike!

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/misc/pencil.png

DarkSkies
02-26-2011, 11:37 AM

Some serious electric setups onboard

DarkSkies
02-26-2011, 11:42 AM

cowherder
02-26-2011, 04:03 PM
Wow you guys got out and hit them hard right before the storms! Do you have any pics of the fish you caught or did you just not get to them yet?

bababooey
02-26-2011, 04:20 PM
cowherder, I think dark takes as many pics as the words he types. I think this is just the beginning of the onslaught. I imagine he's got enough to post for the next 2 weeks.:laugh:
ds where are the cod?????:HappyWave:

nitestrikes
02-26-2011, 04:29 PM
2. The larger cod that everyone is hyping represent about 1-5% of the total catches. Although that statement may disappoint some and provoke strong disagreement, I know what we saw today because we were there.

Mick said this very clearly and simply, folks. Being greedy with these fish will hurt us all in the long run, and as of now, the "long run" is projected to be a short window before people start whining "Where are all the big cod, did they go offshore to some secret spot?" :don't know why: :kooky:

That also raises the "which came first chicken or egg" issue.... were we catching these cod because there are thousands of them in the open ocean like they used to be, or were we catching them because hundreds of us and dozens of boats concentrated in a few small areas to draw these fish in? [/IMG]

We only kept 13 fish between us today because we were trying to stay away from the 22" fish.

Good point dark and mick, the viking went out today, no big fish, the hot action on weds may have thinned them out for a few days. Or, as you said, it could be that when all the boats drift that tight a drift, the hundreds of baits and chum in the water draw most of the active cod to one area. That's why they are killing them and some say the action dies down at 9 or 11a, which is when most of the boats blow the final 3 horns.

Here is the viking report, Capt Carl:
"The weather did get nicer and nicer throughout the day, and the fishing was definitely not the lock and load we have been seeing, but we did put a good catch together. We anchored up and kept the chum going and picked away all day at market size keeper cod, with a lot of shorts as well. I didn't take any pics today, and there were no big fish"

The viking almost always posts up pics, so if he wasn't taking any you know the fishing was nothing to write home about. As dark said, you have to learn to read between the lines with these reports. Nice effort fellas, glad to see you both had a good time.:HappyWave:

finchaser
02-26-2011, 06:22 PM
cowherder, I think dark takes as many pics as the words he types. I think this is just the beginning of the onslaught. I imagine he's got enough to post for the next 2 weeks.:laugh:
ds where are the cod?????:HappyWave:

Can't catch fish might as well take pictures:) very rare shots no birds ,just people imagine that.

May not be any cod pictures I believe it's against the law to post pictures of juveniles without parental consent:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
02-27-2011, 09:47 AM
what would you say was the most effective color for the cod teasers today?

Bababooey, many guys on board had different rigs and teasers. All fancy stuff, even Mick with his bio edge attractant and funky worms :kooky: (which I was glad to try in the night when it seemed the bite was dismal) And to his credit, Mick did catch one of the first fish with his fancy doo dads. :) :cool:

But in the day bite, the most effective thing was a hook and clam. In fact, one of the guys on the other boats reported over 50 cod just with a one-hook rig. The teasers and extra squids proved to be a nuisance when you were getting your rig untangled with the guy next to you. I know guys swear by them, but I would not recommend them when the boat is railed, as you lose fishing time when the bite is hot.

All about the clam.....Rip and Cardoc should be happy to hear that! :laugh:

mick2360
02-27-2011, 09:59 AM
Does anyone know what it means when the Capt. blows the whistle three times? :ROFLMAO

DarkSkies
02-27-2011, 11:57 AM
I wish some of you guys could have seen this. The pics do not do it justice. The 3rd drop, as Mick said, we fished an area the size of a football field. A shoal. Might have been Cox's ledge, I'm not sure.

What I am sure of is we were so close to the other boats drifting this piece you could smell what anti-perspirant the guys on the other boats were wearing. :laugh: That's a little too close for me. At times we were no more than 25 feet from another boat, and then the Capts had to re-adjust so they didn't collide. I think last year, one boat crunched into another up there. At the time I read that, I didn't know any better and thought that was a pretty stupid thing. But after being up there and seeing how they work together, you get an appreciation of the skillfullness of each Captain. :thumbsup: We were so close it's amazing we didn't collide on every drift.

And imagine, if you will, a football-field sized piece of water, with 12 big boats drifting the same piece, all keeping their place within that piece.

The video shows it a lot better. I'll post that when I get a chance.

DarkSkies
02-27-2011, 12:11 PM
May not be any cod pictures I believe it's against the law to post pictures of juveniles without parental consent:HappyWave:

Ouch! Finchaser trash-talking the Block Is bite.:eek: :moon:
Hey I know ya been seeing the big cod in the 20's from NJ, and you can't figure out why all us mooks are driving to Montauk and Rhode Is when there are bigger cod and pollock on the wrecks in NJ. :rolleyes: :HappyWave:

Maybe the bird life up there is better....:ROFLMAO :kiss:

DarkSkies
02-27-2011, 12:24 PM
This is Greg. He got the pool winner early in the night, around 13#. He gave me the head and rack, which I used to make codfishhead soup. More on that in another thread.
Nice to meet ya, Greg, and thanks! :HappyWave:

One of the mates, Chris, weighing the pool fish. Chris was a top-shelf mate, running around like a madman to help with all the tangled rigs and action. Great guy, nice meeting ya Chris. :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
02-27-2011, 04:18 PM
We fished next to a great bunch of people. One such group was John, Dale, & Bill from Putnam County, LI. Members of the Kent Rod & Gun Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kent-Rod-Gun-Club/260485592027

They're into fishin, and deer & turkey hunting. One of them showed me a pic of a 12pt buck he shot. He's also into bowhunting, and is a professional turkey hunt guide. His biggest turkey was 22#, that's a big drumstick! :cool:

Nice meetin ya's. :HappyWave:

Some pics of them and their nicest cod...

DarkSkies
03-03-2011, 12:41 AM
Fast Eddie the Miracle Man!

He's been in and out of hospitals 60 times since 1996! He got discharged from his latest hospital visit 3 weeks before he came out with us that night.

He's been to death's door and back again many times, and he always manages to pull through. He was an inspiration to us and others on board. We became fast friends as he told me stories of growing up fishing and his daily commutes from the Bronx to Two Guys in NJ, one of the places he worked.

He's a regular on the IC and Celtic Quest trips. He and his buddies had IC hats and hoodies. Hardcore rail yams, they are, with some great stories to tell of last year's fishin for all species.

Great meetin ya, Eddie, and God bless. :HappyWave:

Here he is with one of the cod that were caught earlier in the night. WTG. :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
03-03-2011, 01:01 AM
Does anyone know what it means when the Capt. blows the whistle three times? :ROFLMAO

Yeah it means you have to get ready to stop....like an amber light! :laugh:
I know I was bad, it's hard for me to stop when the fishin is that hot. I picked up 2 more fish as he blew the 3 whistles. And I gotta be honest, the last one was cutting it close. I pulled it in like I trolled it, it came in skipping across the water as the boat gained speed. I know it was a boneheard move, I failed in my beginner rail yam etiquette class. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon11.png
But I did get to give Fast Eddie an extra keeper. :)

I want to talk about Mick the jig master. When the end was near Mick decided to start jigging. Not too much action at first, but after he got into it for a bit, he managed 4 fish, mostly short, but still fun anyway. And more of a challenge than fishin meat!

If we had more time I would have been jiggin them, but with the clam it was drop your rig to the bottom and within 30 secs you either had a fish or missed one. Insane. :drool:

Here's some pics of Mick with the fish he got on jigs.... proud of ya, Mick! :clapping: :thumbsup:

And some video of the closeness between boats. :scared:

Drifting within 20' of the boat next to you....Insane stuff, unless you have been in the middle.

http://vimeo.com/21027554

BassBuddah
04-04-2011, 12:30 PM

thats not the case just 2 short years later.
In LI, the 10 fish "limit" is only "suggested". No one will stop someone from catching and keeping 2, 3, or 4 times your legal limit of minimum sized fish.

Dark, your are not alone on your observations above. Here is a statement from a Montauk Capt I found on the web, Capt Gene. He basically states the same thing, that he feels the stocks are already being affected by the intense pressure:

"Head boats and the few charterboats that were involved in codfishing are starting to relax a little, since the rush is over. All the carpetbagger boats have left. There are still some cod around, but not like it was and most of them are shorts. Plus, I guess those hardy souls who don’t mind freezing their fingers off for a bunch of cod fillets are just about cod-fished-out. It was a great couple of months for them though. But, I think there are probably going to be some tweaks to the regs for next season. As it is, New York allows ten cod per person right now, but boats fishing under federal permits have no bag limits. Maybe that’s why it’s getting harder to catch legal fish now."