PDA

View Full Version : NJ fishing reports for March 2011

DarkSkies
03-01-2011, 07:02 AM
NJ fishing reports for March 2011
Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING! Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED!
Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
Out Front (Ocean) OR -- Out Back (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. If you do this, your post may be edited, or deleted. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time!

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:

If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish here today?

If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.
More discussion on this:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=3763 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3763)

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.Even if you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well.

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free.

Some acronyms -

SH - Sandy Hook
NoMoCo - Northern Monmouth County (below the hook to Shark River Inlet SRI)
SoMoCo - Southern Monmouth County (below SRI to Manasquan Inlet)

OC - Ocean County
IBSP - Island Beach State Park
LBI - Long Beach Island

AC - Atlantic County
AI - Absecon Inlet
CISP - Corson's Inlet State Park
CMC - Cape May County
CMR - Cape May Rips
GEI - Great Egg Inlet
TI - Townsend's Inlet

RB - Raritan Bay
BB - Barnegat Bay
CB - Chesapeake Bay
CBBT - Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel
DB - Delaware Bay

DarkSkies
03-01-2011, 07:05 AM
_Hookedonbass,
you won the plug in the December random drawing!:clapping: :thumbsup:
PM me your address so I can send it out to ya!

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.

If you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well. Anyone who posts a report can win a plug even if they got skunked! :skunk::D

This month we're giving out plugs from Ace Baits, or something similar.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...splay.php?f=83 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)

Thanks for posting and helping to make this a great site! :clapping:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&thumb=1&d=1238964999 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&d=1238964999)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&thumb=1&d=1238965622 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&d=1238965622)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6339&thumb=1&d=1238965319 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6339&d=1238965319)

lostatsea
03-01-2011, 09:10 AM
Nick Nastasi weighed in the first bass of the season, 18.2lbs. Congrats dude!
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?7536-First-NJ-bass-of-2011!-Way-to-go!

finchaser
03-01-2011, 05:46 PM
No doubt a nuclear fish from the power plant killed for the picture as most don't eat winter over fish from there

wish4fish
03-02-2011, 06:50 PM
hey i wud be glad to be the one that got that fish., i wud eat it too every last piece of it lol. i fished today from 4to6 the last of the incoming. used bloods and clams, it was cold and windy in the rbay, and i didnt get one tap, what a waste of bloodworms!

baitstealer
03-08-2011, 01:55 PM
The water was freezing today. I went this morning with clams and it was about 42. No fish around, small taps on the hook which were probably flounder. The guy at the tackle shop said it got to 50 yesterday, but not this morning it was like ice! And the bay was muddy like chocolate milk.

So if anyone wants to fish and just has to get out, I would wait till after the storm on Thur, maybe by Sat it should be ok.

finchaser
03-08-2011, 03:19 PM
The water was freezing today. I went this morning with clams and it was about 42. No fish around, small taps on the hook which were probably flounder. The guy at the tackle shop said it got to 50 yesterday, but not this morning it was like ice! And the bay was muddy like chocolate milk.

So if anyone wants to fish and just has to get out, I would wait till after the storm on Thur, maybe by Sat it should be ok.

Guy at the tackle store is full of sh_t with the 50 degree water he's just trying to sell bait.

wish4fish
03-08-2011, 08:25 PM
i know ur right finchaser but we want to be out fishin even if there isnt a lot going on

storminsteve
03-08-2011, 09:09 PM
Good for you w4f and baitstealer at least you 2 got out there. I am still getting my gear ready, hope to join you all soon.

bababooey
03-09-2011, 08:00 AM
Needle in a haystack?
Ristori reported the Tackle Box had a weigh in on bloodworms. 11lbs.:don't know why:

rip316
03-09-2011, 06:18 PM
He is another one I have no respect for. After the stories I have heard about him. I actually bumped into him fishing in the fall and he tried to talk to me and I ignored him. J off

ledhead36
03-09-2011, 06:53 PM
That's why they call him Al fishstori, or fish story.
I have been out 2 times in the past 9 days. There are fish around but that guy catching the 11lber must have caught a lucky break. The best I have done so far was 27", clams and bloods.

finchaser
03-09-2011, 10:35 PM
Needle in a haystack?
Ristori reported the Tackle Box had a weigh in on bloodworms. 11lbs.:don't know why:

Had coffee with him and he never mentioned a word

finchaser
03-09-2011, 10:38 PM
i know ur right finchaser but we want to be out fishin even if there isnt a lot going on

I tried 3 times this week only found ice cold water void of life,same thing the snot slingers that are fishing everyday told me at the shop.

paco33
03-10-2011, 03:25 PM
I have been out there too, guys, went 3 days after the last big rain we had. It was a nice day, I fished two hours before the top of the tide, two hours after. I don't like bloodworms because they are too damn expensive, used sandworms instead. I got one short bass. It really is too cold out there for them to be feeding in any large numbers in the bays, like finchaser said. Now if you are talking the Delaware bay areas that will be a little different because the bass are on the way into the del to spawn and the water is a little warmer down there. But up here, fishing right now is merely an excuse to get away from the wife, not to really catch numbers of fish.:)

gjb1969
03-10-2011, 06:19 PM
paco33 i second what u seid i just came in and the water is cold as he---

clamchucker
03-11-2011, 01:33 PM
The striped bass will be active soon enough, folks, Friends are starting to catch them in south Jersey. Give it a few more days.

jigfreak
03-14-2011, 12:09 AM
Fished the top of the tide in a bb area, way back, after asbury today. One small bass, baby, rubber n lead.

rip316
03-14-2011, 06:48 AM
I fished from 10pm until 130 am. Clams and worms, not a touch. In the back of RB. Water has cleaned up but still a little cold, definitely on its way though. Few more degrees.

DarkSkies
03-14-2011, 07:27 AM
^ At least ya gave it a shot, bro. :HappyWave:

rip316
03-14-2011, 10:01 AM
Be back out tonight. Alot of rods on the bank where I was fishing.

jigfreak
03-15-2011, 08:03 PM
Top of the incoming after work, in the back, rubber, zilch.

finchaser
03-15-2011, 10:25 PM
On the couch nada except for beer and popcorn

bababooey
03-15-2011, 10:51 PM
^^^:clapping::clapping::clapping: :laugh: :thumbsup: Sitting in my big recliner, JW on the rocks, and watching the big screen. Waiting for Dark or Rich swiss to post up a report somewhere.:cool: Nada for me too, but I sure am comfortable.:)

jason
03-16-2011, 12:19 AM
Checked the outgoing tide at 7PM at the Shark River Inlet = 36F.

ledhead36
03-16-2011, 07:14 AM
Fished out back last night, had some decent action. 6 bass, 2 biggest were 36" and 40". Bloodworms. They were hitting light. The way to hook them was to hold the rod. Several fish were missed by guys who weren't.

gjb1969
03-16-2011, 12:21 PM
good to see some fish are biteing i hope to get out and get some :HappyWave:

rip316
03-16-2011, 03:09 PM
Fished out back last night, had some decent action. 6 bass, 2 biggest were 36" and 40". Bloodworms. They were hitting light. The way to hook them was to hold the rod. Several fish were missed by guys who weren't.

nice.

baitstealer
03-16-2011, 06:40 PM
:clapping::clapping:Wow great catch ledhead was that your first time out for the season? And you said in the back, was that near the bbay or the raritan bay?

hookedonbass
03-16-2011, 06:42 PM
Nice!!! Good to see someone is catching fish out there!

skinner
03-16-2011, 07:20 PM
:clapping:Way to catch em up ledhead. I was out at the bayshore last night and got one bass 27 1/2". Clams, maybe I should have used worms.

ledhead36
03-16-2011, 07:21 PM
Baitstealer - all fish caught E of the Delaware river.;)
I have been out quite a bit. Last night was my 7th trip out. Only in one other trip did I get a small non-keeper bass. Last night they were just around. We hit it good, as there were 3 of us that caught a few decent fish in an hour of heightened activity. The rest of the night was slow. And as I said there were a lot of folks who didn't catch anything. Some of the guys with 4 or 5 rods fared worst because they missed a bunch of hits. You have to hold your rod in your hands fellas. These fish still can't decide whether they are hungry or not because the water is pretty cold.

jigfreak
03-16-2011, 07:33 PM
Some of the guys with 4 or 5 rods fared worst because they missed a bunch of hits.

:2flip:I hate guys who fish 4 or 5 rods. In the late spring when they do this on the beach I pray for a bluefish blitz so they will come by and some of these idiots will lose a rod to a monster blue. There is no logical reason what so ever to need to fish 4 or 5 rods for one person. I see the no speaka englis dudes doing this all the time. They got no money for the green card or NOAA registry, but they got enough to buy 5 rods and gear. Go figure.
wtg on the bass ledhead.

rip316
03-16-2011, 09:15 PM
:2flip:I hate guys who fish 4 or 5 rods. In the late spring when they do this on the beach I pray for a bluefish blitz so they will come by and some of these idiots will lose a rod to a monster blue. There is no logical reason what so ever to need to fish 4 or 5 rods for one person. I see the no speaka englis dudes doing this all the time. They got no money for the green card or NOAA registry, but they got enough to buy 5 rods and gear. Go figure.
wtg on the bass ledhead.

Here is an idea. The next time we run across this sorta thing take out a really strong rod, attach a snagging treble hook and cast across all of the lines. Start to reel in realy fast and snag all of the lines pretending to have a fish on while all of their rods are bouncing also. They will all think they have fish on and start reeling. Have a buddy nearby. When you get all of their lines in have your buddy cut their lines and keep your treble. hahahahahahahahaha sounds like a good idea to me.:2flip::2flip: to all of you jack offs that don't have any type of fishing ettiquette.

rip316
03-16-2011, 09:17 PM
JUst be careful with any extra line laying around. Birds may get caught in it or other wildlife.

finchaser
03-16-2011, 09:27 PM
Don't know how you guy's put up with that sh_t not worth the aggravation to catch a fish

cowherder
03-16-2011, 09:34 PM
^^^Maybe we like the adventure of it all, like when you were a kid and had the secret fort in the woods where you used to go to read the oll man's girlie magazines. I'm in if you do that rip, bring dark along and blame it on him!
And nice catch ledhead, way to get out there and knock one out of the park.:clapping:

jason
03-16-2011, 10:51 PM
Raritan tonight from 6 - 9:15. I started a mile or so from the crowd and worked my way through their stretch after the lawn chairs were packed up for the night. Couldn't help but overhear someone talking about no bites today, and how disappointing that was bc he wouldn't have a "fish to bring to the chinese restaurant because they let me trade it for 10 menu items."

speedy
03-16-2011, 10:57 PM
i hate that too i am going to make a blade treble hook it will cut 60lb. line like butter
hehehehehehehehhehehehehe......:viking::viking::vi king:...lol

rip316
03-17-2011, 10:12 AM
Raritan tonight from 6 - 9:15. I started a mile or so from the crowd and worked my way through their stretch after the lawn chairs were packed up for the night. Couldn't help but overhear someone talking about no bites today, and how disappointing that was bc he wouldn't have a "fish to bring to the chinese restaurant because they let me trade it for 10 menu items."

I kow a couple that always take bluefish and porgy's to a restaurant and they give them all kinds of free meals. They don't eat fish. Kind od pisses me off that they do that.

VSdreams
03-17-2011, 10:54 AM
I fished rb last night from 8-12, had to walk out and wade as the tide moved out. A few taps on clams, like someone said very light hits. I was using #3 hooks and couldn't seem to hook up with anything. It was a nice night to be out, though the water was COLD!

wish4fish
03-17-2011, 11:40 AM
hit the back bay wit clams and got 2 shorties yesterday they were hooked in the corner of their mouths also missed a few others. congrats to the guys who got bigger fish most of the ones my friends bin getting are shorties xcept for one 34" bass my friend got tue nite on tapeworms

wish4fish
03-17-2011, 11:43 AM
I kow a couple that always take bluefish and porgy's to a restaurant and they give them all kinds of free meals. They don't eat fish. Kind od pisses me off that they do that.

well if they dont eat fish they got no business fishin then i remember a guy who made plugs said that he dont eat fish cuz they pee and poop in the water i tell you that is a gay statement lol

finchaser
03-17-2011, 10:02 PM
well if they dont eat fish they got no business fishin then i remember a guy who made plugs said that he dont eat fish cuz they pee and poop in the water i tell you that is a gay statement lol

Worst of all they screw where they eat too

rip316
03-18-2011, 06:46 AM
One short last night RB on sandworm. This thing had a football shaped belly really fat fish. Do not know what it could have been feeding on with no bait in the water.

DarkSkies
03-18-2011, 11:34 AM
^^ Cmon Rip, you know the answer to that...if ya think about it...:HappyWave:
Sandworms, bloodworms, tapeworms, small crabs in the rocks, and grass shrimp on the borders of the sedges and wherever there are bulkheads. The mud is heating up and the creatures are stirring. Bass are still a bit sluggish, at least ya got one. :thumbsup:

ledhead36
03-18-2011, 12:12 PM
Fished in the back last night, bloods and clams. Zippo. Not much action anywhere I checked. Congrats on one of the few fish caught, rip.

wish4fish
03-18-2011, 12:37 PM
me too dudes, skunkeroo!:skunk: it wuz a perfect nite out there but no fish maybe the moon killed the bite

finchaser
03-18-2011, 05:56 PM
OC in the back 2 bass 26" and 31" both on lead head and rubber tail both still swimming

baitstealer
03-18-2011, 06:59 PM
Wow day or night time? Way to go finchaser!

storminsteve
03-18-2011, 07:04 PM
Bass on artificials this time of year? Nice catch finchaser, and congrats on the release. Any idea what the 31" bass weighed, estimates? Was it fat or skinny?

finchaser
03-18-2011, 07:37 PM
Wow day or night time? Way to go finchaser!

Bass on artificial this time of year? Nice catch finchaser, and congrats on the release. Any idea what the 31" bass weighed, estimates? Was it fat or skinny?

Daytime

Never fish bait always get them on artificials, many times artificials out fish bait as you cover more water instead of waiting for a fish to swim to you. . This is especially true on an incoming tide with wind in your face when bait scent is pushed toward the beach and you. Betty and Nicks weighed in 5 fish all on artificial yesterday.
Last year I had 9 keepers to 15# in March all on plugs and rubber, Dark took pictures of them for the catch and release thread.

Fish was not starving I'd say 12 to 14 pounds

DarkSkies
03-19-2011, 11:43 AM
Fished last night, first trip of the year. I scouted (:moon: I'll post this ahead of Finchaser's imminent comments...) :2flip: :HappyWave:and fished) a lot of back bay area. Artificial only. :bigeyes:

As Fin said, you cover more area with artificials, and if the fish are in a feeding mode on small baitfish, you get rewarded much quicker. Unfortunately last night there were no rewards for me.....:don't know why:

But the night was perfect for arti fishin....the wind had died down so if there were any fish feeding you could hear them.

First few stops were discouraging. Normal early season spots from last year didn't have any abundance of bait. By the 3rd stop I was able to find some grass shrimp, scattered. No spearing at all. I knew the fish would not be there but gave the stops a quick try.

On to the next area, where big spearing had been showing up. I met up with some guys who said there was a flurry of activity at slack tide. Bass had pushed spearing up to the top and there was some decent surface activity. A few schoolies were caught, maybe one or 2 bigger than that by guys who could reach them. Activity was nil while I was there as the spearing had moved off somewhat.

Hit another area, where I didn't see bait, but did hear schoolie bass flipping the surface on small bait sporadically. These fish were small, maybe 12-18", early season resident fish, feeding because they found food. Too far to reach, I worked some structure instead for an hour.

As I was getting ready to leave a figure glided towards me in the water. It was about 3' long, and as I thought to myself, "Damn that must be one big goose!" the shadow became clearer and it was an otter. Probably acclimated to people, as it came pretty close. It slid silently by as I fumbled with the camera, too late and it was gone into the dark night. I say dark because despite the full moon, last night was not that bright. Much of the time I fished the moon was obscured by clouds. And the water temps weren't bad where I was, I estimate somewhere in the mid 40's.

Not willing to give up, I went back to the other area where the spearing had been. Slept in the car, up around sunrise to give it another shot. Unfortunately, I saw no bait, and the wind there was around 20mph W/NW, which made it difficult to present. Guys in kayaks would have a better shot at the fish, though as mentioned the action is still sporadic.

In all, a good night to be out fishin artificials. It felt great to wet a line again from the shore. :fishing:

DarkSkies
03-19-2011, 11:54 AM
Last year I had 9 keepers to 15# in March all on plugs and rubber, Dark took pictures of them for the catch and release thread.

I want people to understand that Fin can outfish most guys who don't fish all the time by almost a 10/1 ratio. The guy can smell the fish. That's why he doesn't like fishin next to me with my smelly waders, as it throws his sense of smell off. :ROFLMAO

And make no mistake, catching one or 2 fish on artificials from land this early in the season is a worthy achievement. :clapping:
Last night, even the warm water discharges only had reports of slow action, maybe one or 2 fish caught.

As far as Fin goes, I swear that old grouchy basstard could pull a fish out of a rain puddle. :laugh: :thumbsup:The guys who had recent weigh-ins had been fishin arti's every night for almost 2 weeks with nothing to show for it. The bait that is around now (ie small bait that is conducive to us fishing artificials) is scattered one night, stacked up the next. It's tough to predict, ya just gotta be there when it's around.

Here are some pics of Fin's last year early season C&R fish caught on artificials in the C&R thread.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?5854-Catch-and-release-thread&highlight=catch+release

Starting on Pg2, you'll see we were catching fish on artis around the 3rd week of March. Of course, every year is different. That's fishin.

storminsteve
03-19-2011, 12:42 PM
I say dark because despite the full moon, last night was not that bright. Much of the time I fished the moon was obscured by clouds. And the water temps weren't bad where I was, I estimate somewhere in the mid 40's.

Well you must not have been fishing the rb then, dark. Cause the moon was very bright from 8-12 when I fished. Caught 3 fish to 30" last night, clams. All released. They were light hitting. As others said, you have to hold the rod.
Finchaser and Dark, I don't know how you guys have the patience to plug when the water is this cold. I love to plug, but some of you guys have an intensity that is amazing, cast after cast. I usually start plugging or bucktailing in April. Congrats on the catch Finchaser.

jigfreak
03-19-2011, 12:49 PM
Fished here and there last night, rubber. Strikeout. Look for the spearing lads, they will lead yas to the pot o gold.

storminsteve
03-20-2011, 09:08 PM
Fished rb from 6-8:30, incoming, clams n worms. It started to get windy and cold, really sucked. Someone where I was fishing told me a story about a guy catching a 30+lb bass near there a few nights ago. I wonder if that is true or just another fish story. All I know is tonight no one caught anything in the spot I was in, me either.:skunk:

finchaser
03-21-2011, 12:09 AM
this week of cold rain and possibly snow is not going to help you RB guys

DarkSkies
03-21-2011, 07:40 AM
** Steve, I heard a story like that yesterday from 2 different sources. Allegedly caught a few days ago, I was able to get some specific details, and, if true, think that the different reports are actually the same fish. Catching a back-bay fish that size at this time is the equivalent of catching a 50# bass in the late-summer surf on plugs, possible but not high on the probablilty scale overall. That fish, if it was caught there, would be one fish out of a thousand. Not likely there is another one that size right now, though some decent bass have been following the bunker schools,. I don't want to say anything more about it as I don't think the guy weighed it in. Check your pms. :HappyWave:

Fished last night for 1/2 hr with artificials as I scouted a put-in for the first pending kayak trip of the year. Threw light bucktails, jigs, and small profile plugs on the incoming. Not a touch. No visible bait around where I was, although the area is rich in all types of marine life. The water was cold, the wind started building, but it felt good to be out there and try new water.

rip316
03-21-2011, 09:42 AM
this week of cold rain and possibly snow is not going to help you RB guys

Absoultely. Gonna have to wait it out again.

jigfreak
03-21-2011, 03:22 PM
Cold dirty water is good for nothing except for burial at sea.:mad:

fishinmission78
03-21-2011, 10:38 PM
Fished the back tonight. Zilch.

rip316
03-22-2011, 12:21 PM
Fished the back tonight. Zilch.

Bless your soul for even trying.

storminsteve
03-23-2011, 07:51 AM
Back bay last night, 7-11pm. One bass 29 1/2", one 25". Clams, both toward the top of the tide. They hit very light.

wish4fish
03-25-2011, 01:10 PM
fished last nite me n 2 other dudes 1 29" fish on snot on the incoming, then it was quiet till slack tide and we got 4more between us on the outgoing, all little runts biggest was 22", **** it was cold, lol

hookset
03-25-2011, 07:03 PM
:clapping:Nice going wish4fish, it definitely was cold last night!

finchaser
03-25-2011, 07:15 PM
Manasquan river today was 38 when I took the temperature no signs of bait or fish. But then again there are no cormorants which means no bait

SharkHart
03-26-2011, 12:41 PM
Got my first of the bass season in SNJ then nuthinnnnn, my friend had a good amount of fish there few nights back the cold snap surely turned them off but i had a new GL3 rod to try and been sitting in for 3 months so gave it a go!

storminsteve
03-26-2011, 12:52 PM
wtg sharkhart, bait or artificials?

SharkHart
03-26-2011, 02:05 PM
Pink zoom in the back bay

plugcrazy
03-26-2011, 05:28 PM
Grats on the fish SH, I fished occo in the back this morning, warmer water with bloods. Nothing, even there the water was cold.

surferman
03-26-2011, 05:49 PM
Nice going on the catches guys I have been out twice in SJ and found only the skunk so far.

gjb1969
03-26-2011, 10:16 PM
bunch of rat bass for me today

jigfreak
03-28-2011, 12:50 PM
At least it was something, gjb. I fished yesterday afternoon into the dark. I was thinking the water had enough time to clear up from the snow and heat up for the end of day. No way jose, it sucked, water is still cold. I give it another week before numbers of fish start chewing again.

finchaser
03-28-2011, 04:51 PM
Made a few casts to test swim a couple of plugs and took water temp in the inside Manasquan inlet 37 degrees on the outgoing

speedy
03-28-2011, 07:04 PM
Made a few casts to test swim a couple of plugs..... and ??????????

DarkSkies
03-28-2011, 11:52 PM
...and ??????????

I heard the old grouch brought some bread crumbs with him and was looking for the winter swans....:ROFLMAO :HappyWave:
Actually, we need his sunny personality :scared: to help steer the illegals off the bridges. Word is they're starting the cycle already, complete with beach chairs and blankets. All that camping gear and there ain't even any fish there yet. :kooky:

yukon
03-30-2011, 08:58 PM
Got out today to check out a new spot. Conditions were perfect on the outgoing but no fish. Fished with bloods and sands. My buddy was throwing plugs and trying out some new gear. Had a great time overall and will be going back there for sure once things pick up. Just heard this storm is just gonna bring us a ton of rain which is better then the 10in of snow they were saying this morning.

gjb1969
03-31-2011, 12:38 AM
well my day was good and bad was no work for me but it was nice so i went out fishing i get more rat bass but its fish:rolleyes:

DarkSkies
03-31-2011, 08:53 AM
Good to see you guys are getting out. :HappyWave: The water is ice cold. Even the small fish are lethargic. At those temps bait is the best option. As far as anyone throwing artificals, most of us know the odds are slim but we gotta try anyway. :fishing: :cool:

ledhead36
03-31-2011, 10:07 AM
Fished the back of the bay yesterday for most of the outgoing. It was a little sunny out and I thought that would give a jump start to the bite. I thought wrong. I had off from work, so I dug a mess of tapeworms and sandworms at low tide in the muck. I was kind of hopeful, thinking that at least the tapes would get one stinking fish. I thought wrong, not even a tap. I give it another week, fellas. The icy cold water from this noreaster and the runoff won't help things either. Come on spring. I am tired of this cold water. It's almost April and the bluefish will be here in 2 weeks, We need some bass action before that!

ledhead36
04-01-2011, 02:37 AM
Finally some success - fished the back bay tonight, a marathon. Last 2 hours of incoming, and the whole outgoing. On the incoming I got 2 short bass. On the outgoing I got 3 bass to 33". Clams. The interesting thing is that there were a few other folks around, and we all got most of our fish around the same time, slack tide. There was a flurry of activity of bigger fish during this time. Most fish caught were by guys who casted tight to the beach. It seems they were following the shoreline and sedges closely as they roamed in search of food. The weather wasn't that bad until the last 3 hours when the wind kicked up a bit.

DarkSkies
04-01-2011, 08:41 AM
You're right on that Ledhead, the weather wasn't that bad for all of yesterday into dark for the bay areas. I fished for an hour last night. I had the kayak ready for the maiden 2011 voyage but when I got there it seems I miscalculated the tide. I have to figure out the tide for that area better. Only certain times make sense for a kayak launch.

So I fished anyway from land. Nothing for me on the first hour of the ebb on small bucktails and rubber. The water was probably low to mid-40's. Another 5-7 degrees and it should be poppin. :drool:

Congrats to the die-hards who braved it out for the fish. There were a few happy people last night. :HappyWave:

storminsteve
04-01-2011, 09:23 AM
The interesting thing is that there were a few other folks around, and we all got most of our fish around the same time, slack tide. There was a flurry of activity of bigger fish during this time.

Same thing where I was ledhead36. I got one nice bass last night on clams. 35", released. It was weird that most of the hits happened around slack, or right when the tide started moving, and then nothing else.

cowherder
04-01-2011, 09:45 AM
Wow guys great catches! I wanted to go fishing but thought it would be nasty. I should have gone anyway. Way to stick to it and catch them up!:clapping::clapping:

fishinmission78
04-01-2011, 12:05 PM
I had a feeling about last night, couldn't get out. It was dead calm for most of the day, like the eye of a hurrcane. Rain was minimal. Nice.:thumbsup:

buckethead
04-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Great work, fellas.

stripermania
04-01-2011, 03:41 PM
:clapping::clapping::clapping:Nice going guys!

Monty
04-01-2011, 11:38 PM
Great to see you guys doing some catching.