PDA

View Full Version : Codfishhead soup!

DarkSkies
03-02-2011, 10:58 PM
This is the funkiest stuff I ever made, with the exception when I cooked dogfish without treating it right and stunk up my kitchen for 2 days with the ammonia stank. :upck:

We got the recipe from Manny, a Greek guy who fished next to us on the Island Current trip on 2-26. Thanks Manny, nice to meet ya! :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
03-02-2011, 11:08 PM
1. Start with some codfish heads or other fish heads. The way I was told to do this was to just cook the heads in a cheesecloth. I tried my best to clean the head out and snip off any gills or parts that weren't a direct part of the head, and washed under water before I put them together. For this pot of soup, in a 5 gallon pot, I used about 5 fish heads.

2. While dealing with the fish heads, set up a big pot, bringing to a boil. I was told to use water, but used 3 cans of chicken broth instead. As the water came to a boil, I put in a few chopped onions, chopped carrots, potatoes.
Spices - thyme, garlic powder, pepper, old bay seasoning, Accent, and some fresh parsley.

Let it all simmer together on low flame after the water boils.

3. Cheesecloth - Pebbles and I got it at Wal-mart. Lots of it for a cheap price.

DarkSkies
03-02-2011, 11:23 PM
4. This is a pic of the cod as it was a little more cleaned up.

5. This is a pic of the cod heads wrapped in the cheesecloth. I gotta admit, as I dumped this mixture in the pot, I was wondering how it would turn out. I know people that will cook the fish heads and eat the whole thing as well, (a buddy brings them to his favorite Chinese restaurant all the time)
I threw these out when the soup was done, as we didn't have much room in the refrigerator. I guess you could have eaten the heads as well, and cod cheeks are as delicious as bass or bluefish cheeks. I've eaten the cheeks when I catch a lot of bluefish and don't want to waste the meat. Maybe next time.

6. Cook on low flame for at least 2 hours. The "soup" when it was done was kind of green looking. The people in the house wouldn't eat it, but they're not big fish-eaters. :rolleyes: (or maybe it just didn't look that good to them)

Results - for the first time I think it came out OK. I've been eating it all week and didn't get sick once. :laugh:

So, there ya have it - Cod Fish HEAD soup!! If anyone has any other tips or hints, feel free. :cool:

dogfish
03-03-2011, 12:48 PM
Yeah ok next thing you will be making herring or bunker soup.:upck:

bababooey
03-03-2011, 02:42 PM
nah, plover soup much better. Trust me, I eat it every Spring.:rolleyes:

rip316
03-03-2011, 03:33 PM
Pork Roll sammich soup. Dark's favorite.

finchaser
03-03-2011, 07:26 PM
Yeah ok next thing you will be making herring or bunker soup.:upck:

that was last year

Watch out this Thanksgiving

Menu

Codfish head soup

Followed by Ostrich stuffed with swan stuffed with plover, Darks version of turdunkin

storminsteve
03-03-2011, 07:58 PM
^^^ :ROFLMAO :clapping::clapping::clapping:
Green soup? Better you than me, finchaser. I guess we know whose house to avoid on Thanksgiving.:)

speedy
03-03-2011, 08:12 PM
no the house you need to avoid is darks house he s bin eating that soup all week look out....:scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::up ck::upck::upck:

storminsteve
03-03-2011, 08:24 PM
I know speedy, I WAS talking about dark's house.:scared:
http://www.maniacworld.com/poopfrustration.htm
http://www.fart-sounds.net/

finchaser
03-04-2011, 07:24 PM
Speedy I can get you some heads if you want some,I'm sure DS will share the recipe with you. Of coarse by PM.

mick2360
03-04-2011, 08:48 PM
Been eating it all week and didn't get sick once? I dunno Dark, somehow I don't think you should count on a spot on the food network anytime soon. Although Drive-ins, Diners and DIVES might be sending a crew your way! :ROFLMAO

DarkSkies
03-05-2011, 12:29 PM
:laugh: :clapping:Har de har har! You mooks are so funny, give yourselves a pat on the back. :2flip: :moon: :HappyWave:
Andrew Zimmern ain't got nothin on me, I can eat that guy under the table. :laugh:
Just got finished eatin a bowl of chicken soup, it was "freshly made" 2 weeks ago. No ill affects as of yet. :)

finchaser
03-05-2011, 02:25 PM
:laugh: :clapping:Har de har har! You mooks are so funny, give yourselves a pat on the back. :2flip: :moon: :HappyWave:
Andrew Zimmern ain't got nothin on me, I can eat that guy under the table. :laugh:
Just got finished eatin a bowl of chicken soup, it was "freshly made" 2 weeks ago. No ill affects as of yet. :)

Can't believe the bird man eats CHICKEN SOUP

storminsteve
03-06-2011, 12:27 AM
^^The irony in that is inescapable.:clapping::clapping::clapping:
Hey DS would you eat fried rat?:upck:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5mkYcQmVSA