PDA

View Full Version : How long will this northeaster affect striped bass fishing?

baitstealer
03-10-2011, 01:56 PM
I read that the back bays are like chocolate milk, or they were a few days ago. The water is dirty, and some guys here said it is cold, too. What do you guys think about the striper bite with all this bad weather and cold water? How long do you think it will be before they really start waking up and feeding? Thanks guys.

surfstix1963
03-10-2011, 03:00 PM
Before bad weather the bite is usually good after it all depends on the wind direction and speed if the winds lay down it is usually a couple of days to clean up the water and bait to start moving around cold water everything is sluggish (bait and bass) water in the mid fifties they will start to feed more actively.IMO

finchaser
03-10-2011, 04:44 PM
All the rivers up north that feed into the bay are over flood stage,from the heavy rain last Sunday that melted snow further up north and caused flash flooding. IMO the bay water temp will drop like a rock when it arrives.To add to the problem the heavy rain tonight will add to the cold chocolate milk effect especially when storm sewers discharge winters waste as they fully defrost.

gjb1969
03-10-2011, 05:48 PM
fin is so right i just came in and the water is cold as he--so give it a few days to clean up and then hope for the best:HappyWave:

surfwalker
03-10-2011, 05:59 PM
I work a little beyond Bound Brook, and go past the Raritan River every day. As with any decent rainfall, the river swells up quickly and is as dirty as can be. Today it's a few feet from the top of the bank and raging quickly. As others have stated, the heavy rains tonight will only add filth to the bay. It'll be a few days to recover, but the water temps will remain cold for a while. Sit tight.