PDA

View Full Version : High end rods

gjb1969
03-11-2011, 03:46 PM
What rods did u get over the winter

surfstix1963
03-11-2011, 04:17 PM
None for me can't fish this year.But being that you mentioned high end rods I am convinced if you are going to spend $450 or better for a factory rod you might as well have one built to your specs by a good builder such as Finchaser or other person you may know it is just not worth it in my opinion to spend that kind of money and get a good rod but not built for you.Having one built you can get what you really want that will benefit you personally rather than have paid big bucks because it has someones name on it.If and when I can fish again Fin will be getting a call from me.

rip316
03-11-2011, 06:59 PM
None for me can't fish this year.But being that you mentioned high end rods I am convinced if you are going to spend $450 or better for a factory rod you might as well have one built to your specs by a good builder such as Finchaser or other person you may know it is just not worth it in my opinion to spend that kind of money and get a good rod but not built for you.Having one built you can get what you really want that will benefit you personally rather than have paid big bucks because it has someones name on it.If and when I can fish again Fin will be getting a call from me.

Get in line Stix. lmao. My daughter is lucky enough to already have one. Very nice of him to make her a rod. She asked me yesterday where it was and that it better not be scratched up. lmao. Fin does incredible work.

gjb1969
03-11-2011, 07:13 PM
cool now she got the rod she will start to out fish u show dad how its done but thats a good thing keep fishing alive:clapping:

surfstix1963
03-12-2011, 04:55 AM
No rush for me probably a year need surgery again.

rip316
03-12-2011, 08:07 AM
No rush for me probably a year need surgery again.

Well that sucks. Total shame you have to go through this again. So sorry to hear it.

DarkSkies
03-12-2011, 08:35 AM
I'm glad some of you other mooks :plastered:chiimed in here.

I didn't want people to think I was biased or shilling to have him build a rod for them just because I know him. So I'll just tell all of you he sucks, and doesn't know anything. :laugh:

The true story....When I was first getting to know Fin, he had me down to the rod building room in his basement. He explained each and every step, and showed me the meticulousness that goes into each rod. I wonder how many people on other sites and in the fishing world know that he does the repairs for 3 major shops in his area and for several well-known charter capts.

For him, this all starts when someone asks him to build the rod. He wants to know the reel they will be using. He balances each rod to the reel, how many builders to that? Even though many people still have an idea in their head of the exact rod they want, he also wants to know what type of overall locations you will be fishing if you have him build one.

He builds each rod to exceed the limitations of the environment you are fishing in.

In all my years fishing and repairing things, I have never seen a shop so anally organized, or someone as compulsive, :kooky: as fin's stuff. His attention to detail and craftsmanship quality of work is beyond compulsive. It is almost a sickness the way he builds things... from the rods he builds, to the way every item he owns is compulsively organized in numbered bins, to the years of wisdom he has from doing this for decades.

Then, to top it all off, we went through half of the custom rods he uses, and he jumped up and down like a gorilla :ROFLMAO (slight embellishment here) trying to break them for me. He also had me torque on them from the tip. bending them in half until I thought they would snap....but they didn't.

Finchaser rods are virtually indestructible unless you snap one in a car door or stupidly high-stick a trophy fish.

So yeah, maybe I am a little biased. Especially when I see high end rods out there for $550 factory build that sell for a premium because they have the endorsement of someone at a seminar. :huh: There are few builders out there that come close to the craftsmanship and fishing experience he puts into his building skills. One very famous maker, guys swear by his work and guarantee, but few people know he farms out the work to high-school kids. There is no consistency coming out of that guy's shop. That's never the case with finchaser.

Disregard my above comments, pay through the nose for a substandard rod if you want.
Or...ya can hit fin up, and ask him some questions about the best rod for you. Seems like a pretty hard choice, no? ;)

bababooey
03-12-2011, 12:53 PM
Especially when I see high end rods out there for $550 factory build that sell for a premium because they have the endorsement of someone at a seminar.

I wonder if you were referring to the new Crazy Alberto series? Buy one, have him carve his initials into the blank, and your very next fish will be 58 pounds.:rolleyes:

ledhead36
03-12-2011, 01:57 PM
If C Alberto can get people to pay 550-600 for a factory built rod simply because they have his signature, I say more power to him. He is smiling all the way to the bank, my friends. PT Barnum also has a phrase "there is a sucker born every minute". If you need a 550 rod to make you a better striped bass fisherman, then I feel sorry for you.
Don't get me wrong, I fish lami and like the blanks. But I have never overpaid for anything. Let the next fool throw money away. Not me. But Crazy Alberto, I admire his entrepreneurship skills.

gjb1969
03-12-2011, 09:57 PM
fin dose make some d nice rods but i guess guys just like what they like but if they like to spend a whole bunch on a factory rod and its ok than more power to them i am not a name guy so if the price is good than i will go for it i just pulled the trigger on my first and only high end rod i feels da good but if it breaks its ok with me i did not pay to much for it i still have my goto rods but the rogue su803s is very nice

surfstix1963
03-13-2011, 08:40 AM
I was never a high end factory rod guy I do have 2 lami's but the price I got my 11 ft. triflex was to good to resist $110 but it is a little long for me and my back needs something a little more flexible I need the rod to do more of the work and my other is a 8'6" surf king bottom of the lami line but a good rod for back in the bays so my attitude remains the same I want a rod from Fin if he will build one for a NY'er lol and I would rather put my money in his pocket if I am going to spend it Lami and the others will survive w/o my $$$.