PDA

View Full Version : Raritan Bay input

jason
03-14-2011, 05:17 PM
Welcome to the start of a new spring season for everyone. Look at it this way…all the keepers are still swimming thus far.

Couple questions on Raritan Bay:

1. Is it worthwhile to fish around the SH rips area this time of year or is this RB bite more back in a top secret river area?

2. In general, where are these fish coming in from to RB? You always hear about the fish pushing north in the spring with bunker, but are these early RB fish coming in from the ocean moving more directly eastward?

Now if Penn ever finishes repairing my reel, I can get back to the hobby we all enjoy so much.

rip316
03-14-2011, 07:40 PM
You need to fish the bay in the back. The fish you will ctach will be resident fish. These fish stay here during the winter and start to wake up and feed this time of year. When the water hits 50 consistently the fish will start to hit. Clams and worms best baits. You will learn a lot here. I most certainly have.

jason
03-14-2011, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the answers Rip! Lets hope their metabolism gets going soon.

DarkSkies
03-15-2011, 06:18 PM
^^Rip, ya done good grasshopper. :cool:
All I would add is that the ocean bite is about migration and bait activity.
Back bay, it's all about the black mud.

Those rocks and mud, as they warm, have many different types of creatures in them. Bass will innately key in on them for the easiest meal possible.

And, as mentioned, the temp is what gets them going. They're there now... if you went out with scuba gear you would see them near the bottom, dozens at a time, those big saltwater carp with lines on them. :rolleyes:

But that temp is what triggers them....and traditionally, the bays and mud flats warm quicker than the ocean does.

Some other threads that might help,,,
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?6014-Spring-surf-schedule&highlight=back+bays+early+spring

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?3521-tips-for-fishing-the-bays-in-the-spring&highlight=early+spring

BTW Jason, did ya catch any fish through the ice this winter in Wisconsin? :HappyWave:

jason
03-15-2011, 10:06 PM
Thanks for posting the threads, DarkSkies. I was searching like crazy for RB info in the forums.

Caught plenty of nice fish over the winter, probably my favorite was a fat 41inch northern pike. Almost lost a finger or two getting her through the hole.

Went out today to test my new cyclone lure for fun…holy smokes that is hot stuff.

finchaser
03-15-2011, 10:22 PM
Bass everywhere in RB hurry before they are all gone. Darkskies guided fishing charters by land or sea don't delay book now. Bird watching and feeding is included at no extra charge in this rear opportunity.

bababooey
03-15-2011, 10:56 PM
Finchaser do you think the DS charters will be limited to just swans or will he be branching out to include all species of bird watching?:ROFLMAO

ledhead36
03-16-2011, 07:19 AM
Jason, you got a 41" pike, nice!
We don't have too many big pike in NJ except for the Delaware & Passaic Rives, Spruce Run, and a few other places. What were you using, bait or jigs?

jason
03-16-2011, 07:42 AM
43inch is right about the trophy mark for pike, with 50inch for musky. Through the ice you mainly get them on the outskirts of perch schools using a 6-8inch large shiner on a tip-up.

My secret trick…hook the shiner upside down so it struggles and draws all sorts of attention.

finchaser
03-16-2011, 08:50 AM
Finchaser do you think the DS charters will be limited to just swans or will he be branching out to include all species of bird watching?:ROFLMAO

Should encompass all species I would think,lets not forget he is the bird man

rip316
03-16-2011, 03:12 PM
Man alive, you guys sure are tough on the Dark one.

DarkSkies
03-16-2011, 06:29 PM
Darkskies guided fishing charters by land or sea don't delay book now. Bird watching and feeding is included at no extra charge..

:2flip: :moon: Yep you guys are hilarious, you're regular comedians, the two of ya's. :rolleyes:
Don't you have to have attended 27 seminars or something like that before you become a guide in NJ? :)
I mean, fishin with clams in the back bays in the spring is pretty tough, I just don't think I could qualify. Besides, fishing with me is even more over-rated than fishin with Finchaser. :HappyWave:

I can't tell ya's much about those stripers, I usually only catch one by accident when I'm fishin for bluefish. ;) :laugh:

So don't follow me, I'm just a googan with a white bucket. :bucktooth:
Follow that cool guy Finchaser. :headbang:
Why, even Speedy's kids said he was a "cool dude!" :cool:

jigfreak
03-16-2011, 07:36 PM
Cmon now Dark you could be one of the greatest clam and bunker chunking guides of all time. Top of the clam chucking food chain!:rolleyes:

Jason, as to your question, fish the ocean when the migrating fish are on the move and they hit the herring and sandeels and spearing in the surf as they move up the coast. But as has been said, right now the ocean is too cold. All the action is where the warm water, or "hot water" spots are, and the fish don't want to work too hard to eat a meal, so you have to toss it right near their noses sometimes. Good luck.
Also I would really like to see pics of that big pike, did you take any? I like that thing about fishing the shiner upside down. Here we sometimes cut part of thier tails to make them swim the way we want. It also leaves a blood trail, which hungry fish key in on.

finchaser
03-16-2011, 07:49 PM
:2flip: :moon: Yep you guys are hilarious, you're regular comedians, the two of ya's. :rolleyes:
Don't you have to have attended 27 seminars or something like that before you become a guide in NJ? :)
I mean, fishin with clams in the back bays in the spring is pretty tough, I just don't think I could qualify. Besides, fishing with me is even more over-rated than fishin with Finchaser. :HappyWave:

I can't tell ya's much about those stripers, I usually only catch one by accident when I'm fishin for bluefish. ;) :laugh:

So don't follow me, I'm just a googan with a white bucket. :bucktooth:
Follow that cool guy Finchaser. :headbang:
Why, even Speedy's kids said he was a "cool dude!" :cool:

I don't have a bucket or fish bait, plus you are a masterbaiter and guide extraordinarie think of some the places you fish and take people .

speedy
03-16-2011, 11:09 PM
thats right ..mr fin.. is cool even my 3 yr. old thinks so !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jason
03-17-2011, 12:04 AM
Cmon now Dark you could be one of the greatest clam and bunker chunking guides of all time. Top of the clam chucking food chain!:rolleyes:

Jason, as to your question, fish the ocean when the migrating fish are on the move and they hit the herring and sandeels and spearing in the surf as they move up the coast. But as has been said, right now the ocean is too cold. All the action is where the warm water, or "hot water" spots are, and the fish don't want to work too hard to eat a meal, so you have to toss it right near their noses sometimes. Good luck.
Also I would really like to see pics of that big pike, did you take any? I like that thing about fishing the shiner upside down. Here we sometimes cut part of thier tails to make them swim the way we want. It also leaves a blood trail, which hungry fish key in on.

I looked for a picture, but they are on my old cell phone that was replaced over the holidays, and subsequently stayed in WI. It was a nice fish, but there are much bigger out there. Here is the most recent big pike to come out of our shack that was emailed to me. (just shy of 40, but you can see how healthy they are). And my true favorite...kings! My big one of 2010.

VSdreams
03-17-2011, 10:57 AM
Holy moly that's a big pike!:bigeyes:
How do you catch them kings Jason, with shiners the same way for pike? Nice king as well btw.

williehookem
03-17-2011, 10:59 AM
Whoa, nice fish dude.

jason
03-17-2011, 11:19 AM
Holy moly that's a big pike!:bigeyes:
How do you catch them kings Jason, with shiners the same way for pike? Nice king as well btw.
For the kings, you go 5 miles offshore to where it drops off from 70ft to 200ft within a matter of 200 yards. I don't have the $ for down riggers, so I just take dipsy divers and let out 185 ft of line with a spoon. They absolutely slam the spoon and peel drag like a monster striper. This is a picture I took about halfway out...looks like the Black Pearl from Pirates of the Caribbean!

wish4fish
03-17-2011, 11:26 AM
dude those are some kewl fish, and catching them on the cheap at that wtg:cool: :thumbsup:

wish4fish
03-17-2011, 11:52 AM
Bass everywhere in RB hurry before they are all gone. Darkskies guided fishing charters by land or sea don't delay book now. Bird watching and feeding is included at no extra charge in this rear opportunity.

finchaser it aint that hard to catch bass wit bait in rb now if u cant catch at least 1 you shouldn be fishing all u have to do is set out the bait and wait, and if u got the time sooner or later a fish will hit. what gets me the most like u guys said is all the guys fishing many rods or using a 12' rod to catch a 22" bass, these are just small fish u would be better off with 1 rod and using smaller setups
and dark when are u going to start your guide service u dont even return our calls any more u should come down and hang out one nite maybe u dont like to catch the small fish but a fish is a fish and its sumthin to do till the cows and bunker get here:fishing:

DarkSkies
03-17-2011, 12:06 PM
22" bass, these are just small fish...and dark when are u going to start your guide service u dont even return our calls any more u should come down and hang out one nite maybe u dont like to catch the small fish

Sorry bro, been busy with a lot of last minute projects before I get it in gear to fish this season. But ya have my permission to catch all the 22" bass ya want if that makes ya happy. ;) Next time I'll return the call. :HappyWave:

I don't have a bucket or fish bait, plus you are a masterbaiter and guide extraordinarie think of some the places you fish and take people .

Nope not me, I know absolutely nothing about catching striped bass. :d
All my bass are caught as by-catch when I'm targeting bluefish and porgies. :laugh:

I already set up a seminar series for you, though, I might be encouraged to come and video it when it does happen.... :moon: :HappyWave:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?6421-Finchaser-seminar-series...&highlight=finchaser+seminar

plugcrazy
02-17-2012, 05:58 PM
. what gets me the most like u guys said is all the guys fishing many rods or using a 12' rod to catch a 22" bass, these are just small fish u would be better off with 1 rod and using smaller setups

In 2 weeks you're going to have plenty of that, come on and see the show!

ledhead36
05-09-2014, 03:40 PM
They should really limit bay and ocean fishing to 2 rods per person. Anything more than that is selfish. For the newbys bunker is now the ticket for bigger bass. toss a head and hold your rod. For some reason the smaller blues shy away from the bunker heads. but they were hitting our bunker chunks last night.

baitstealer
12-21-2015, 03:59 PM
Does anyone think the mild weather so far can have a positive effect on the spring fishing in the raritan? thanks

finchaser
12-21-2015, 10:33 PM
I wouldn't bet on it today is the first day of winter.