PDA

View Full Version : real advice about the licenses and registrys?

porgy75
03-23-2011, 08:04 AM
This registry stuff is so confusing. A buddy wants to register for the first time and he lives in NJ. He told me it is stupid that he has to pay a federal fee, that it isn't even a license, and he does not want to pay the federal dollars if there is a chance that he will have to pay the NJ fees down the road as well.

Are there any other states that he can register in now, or get a license from, where he will be covered for both that state and NJ?
Thanks for the help fellas, it is all so confusing.

And what happens when you guys are fishing out there, are the game wardens checking your documents out there at night?

7deadlyplugs
03-23-2011, 07:29 PM
Porgy, I am no expert on this, but my cousin fishes LI and NJ. He got his NY saltwater registry card, and told me that would allow him to fish NJ as well, as they have some sort of reciprocal agreement.

seamonkey
03-23-2011, 09:11 PM
Porgy, here is what I found:
this applies whether you get a NY license as a resident, or a non-resident.

"If you do obtain a current and valid saltwater fishing license from New York, you will NOT need to register separately with NOAA to fish in New Jersey. That's because, like many states, New York an agreement in place with NOAA to automatically federally register the state's anglers who obtain a state-issued license."

strikezone31
03-24-2011, 01:48 PM
That's true guys. Right now they repealed the fee for the NY license, so it's a great bargain if you want to fish the 2 states. The fee isn't exacxtly fully repealed as of yet, so you might have to wait awhile for it to be totallly free. They have up to 180 days.

buckethead
03-24-2011, 03:13 PM
I believe you can also register in Delaware, even if you live out of state, for a Delaware license. You will get a FIN#. This exempts you from registering in NJ as well because you will already be part of the NOAA system.
http://www.delaware-fin.com/
You can also call the 800#, it's easy.

wish4fish
03-25-2011, 01:07 PM
dudes if you dont have one yet dont worry about it we seen the fish cops 2x this spring they ask us about the fed card but they arent giving tickets and they dont even ask the immigrants cuz they kno they wont have them its all good