PDA

View Full Version : Hudson River fish in Peril

bunkerjoe4
05-31-2008, 02:13 PM
Folks, this is but one of many articles I will be posting detailing certain discoveries in the fisheries industry. I want you to remember when reading them: Who is behind this article? What is their agenda?

I honestly don't know much about the Hudson Riverkeeper organization, so I can't endorse or support them at this time. But I presented this here to show some of you folks that there are groups out there that are infinitely more organized than us fishermen. They are getting grants and contributions to do a lot of research.

Some of those findings may not be favorable to fishermen. Again, if their findings are based in true science, they deserve to be listened to. This is why I am putting these types of things up.

In addition, I wanted folks to be aware of The Pew Trust, a charitable organization that lists "preserving the environment" as one of its goals. They provide funding to some groups whose interests would be opposite to those of most fishermen. They are very large, organized, and well known and connected.

In my opinion, I don't trust the motives of the Pew Charitable Trust, because I am a fisherman, and concerned about fishermens' rights. I can't label them because I don't know enough about them. This is merely my constitutionally protected opinion.

The reason I am putting these threads out there is I am encouraging people who read this to get involved.

Even if you are busy, try to skim articles like this, and make an assessment of whether you think their point is valid or not. Whatever opinion you form, at least you will be forming it by looking at all sides.

You never know when certain organizations will push through legislation designed to curtail our fishing. You want to be prepared for this, and try to objectively see if they have good grounds for their position, or if we as fishermen should mobilize and be heard.

Knowledge is power, and there is strength in numbers. I know most of this stuff is boring, but if it involves your future fishing choices, maybe you should check it out.

I am also inviting anyone else who has knowledge of any of these organizations to come on here and post. It doesn't matter if you have something positive or negative to say. All are welcome in the name of democratic debate. :thumbsup:

Here's the article, feel free to research further.

Hudson River Fish in Peril – The Pisces Report

A report commissioned by Riverkeeper and released on May 15, 2008, The Status of Fish Populations and the Ecology of the Hudson (“Pisces Report”), produced by Pisces Conservation Ltd. reveals that many Hudson River fish are in serious long-term decline.

Of 13 key species studied, ten have declined in abundance since the 1980s including shad, tomcod and white perch.

Three species, striped bass, bluefish and spottail shiner, have increased due to circumstantial changes that favor them.

Other important species not included in the study, such as the American eel, also show long-term declines. Despite the public perception that the Hudson River is in good health, the new evidence indicates an increasingly unstable ecosystem and long-term declines for signature Hudson River fish species.

http://www.riverkeeper.org/dyn-content/stories/542482b5596bafd5.jpg

Power plants kill fish in staggering numbers. Every year, power plants withdraw more than 70 trillion gallons of water from U.S. oceans, rivers, lakes and reservoirs, killing billions of adult and juvenile fish and shellfish, larvae, eggs and other organisms. Power plants use the water to cool their facilities and discharge heated water back into the rivers, lakes and reservoirs. Technology exists, however, that would dramatically reduce the numbers of fish killed by power plant cooling systems.

Riverkeeper has fought to have closed-cycle cooling, the “best technology available” (BTA), installed in all Hudson River power plants, as required by the Clean Water Act. Closed-cycle cooling would eliminate 95% of the massive fish kills currently caused by the power plants.

For its power plant litigation, Riverkeeper asked Pisces Conservation to analyze the state of fish in the Hudson, using data collected by the power plants themselves since the 1980s.

Pisces’ report found that the temperature of Hudson River water has risen 2 °C (3.6 °F) since the 1960s, which results in less dissolved oxygen in the water, and increases the impact of thermal discharges and other stresses on the fish.

Hudson River power plants have claimed that “the Hudson River has a healthy and robust fish population.”

The decline of Hudson River fish has serious implications for the health of ocean fisheries, because the Hudson is one of the most important estuaries along the Atlantic seaboard, serving as a critical spawning ground and nursery for many Atlantic species.