PDA

View Full Version : Food for thought on colors; waiting for warm waters

jason
03-29-2011, 11:41 PM
Scientific journal article from 2010 on the 4 major species in the Chesapeake, including stripers (upper left graph). To summarize:
- Daytime visual response = red
- Nighttime = blurple!

DarkSkies
03-30-2011, 08:45 PM
Good thread Jason, here's some more thoughts along those lines....
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?2987-Don-t-Think-about-color&highlight=fish+color

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?6714-Striped-bass-Sense-of-vision-Vision-ability&highlight=fish+color

dogfish
03-30-2011, 11:20 PM
Red or maroon tubing has always been a good color for me to dress diamond jigs with in the day. As far as blurple in the night, I like it but feel black works just as well. You have to admit the wow factor of blurple for fishermen is probably higher.

seamonkey
03-31-2011, 09:11 AM
And they also make red hooks. I guess they wouldn't make them if there wasn't something to this theory.

jason
03-31-2011, 10:09 AM
It's great that the article I posted supported that stripers respond to yellow/green both in the night and day even stronger then black or purple = save money on lures!

Those are some interesting articles that DarkSkies posted. As for the TV show commentary…I have actually been fishing in the area of a TV show being filmed for Bass Pro Shops. The crew would catch a fish on a simple jig, hook the lure they wanted to film into the fish, and throw it back in the water and proceed to catch it again with the "right" lure.

One aspect to lures I've always found interesting is the focus put on the eyes. A very successful fisherman once gave a talk and felt that predator fish really key in on the eyes to orient themselves to the front on the bait. Seems there must be something to that, but I wouldn't put away the Sluggo!

dogfish
11-22-2014, 06:28 AM
It's great that the article I posted supported that stripers respond to yellow/green both in the night and day even stronger then black or purple = save money on lures!

Those are some interesting articles that DarkSkies posted. As for the TV show commentary…I have actually been fishing in the area of a TV show being filmed for Bass Pro Shops. The crew would catch a fish on a simple jig, hook the lure they wanted to film into the fish, and throw it back in the water and proceed to catch it again with the "right" lure.

Its unfortunate but some of the pro's out there do that too. As for the comments about yellow I have done well on yellow plugs at night when weakfish are around.

baitstealer
01-29-2015, 10:33 AM

Very interesting thanks for sharing.