PDA

View Full Version : Fluke Meeting this Thursday

finchaser
04-03-2011, 05:44 PM
Whose going to the fluke meeting Thursday 4/7/11 to push the extended season. This will take some pressure off the bass look at it that way.

Hope to see you there

The meeting is at 4 p.m. Thursday at the Atlantic County Public Library on Jimmie Leeds Road in Galloway Township.

This is more important than saving the stupid bunker

Shorelady
04-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Trying to get out of work...... If all goes well with a major pool repair at work on Tuesday, it is possible. Would really love to attend.

rip316
04-04-2011, 08:44 AM
Wished I could take the ride with you Finchaser. Wife has class and I have to watch the kids. Really wished I could make it.

jigfreak
04-04-2011, 10:00 AM
The thing that sucks about these is they make a lot of the meetings in the southern part of the state, or some isolated place in bumble-weeds, NJ, so less people will show. I remember they had one meeting in Toms River. But to get to this one I would never make it in time, would have to take the day off. I can't afford that at this point, and a big FU to the coordinators who set this meeting up so far from where most of us live.:2flip:

finchaser
04-04-2011, 02:53 PM
You should see how small the room is

DarkSkies
04-05-2011, 01:53 PM
You guys make good points. It's almost as if they wanted to find ways NOT to have fishermen come to the meetings like this. That strategy is nothing new for fisheries management and public commentary, just ask Finchaser or any of the other old salts here who have seen this first hand.

Nonetheless, meetings like this are important because whenever we have a closure or restriction it places further pressure on striped bass.

EX: How many people fish for winter flounder any more????
I can remember some great times in the winter when there was nothing else to fish for. Renting a rowboat out of Shark River and picking up a few flounder was a great way to spend a cold winter day.

How many people have given up completely because they feel that flounder fishing is no longer worth it?

These are the kinds of things that happen when we become complacent and "let the other guy do it".

Please, if you can make it., try to attend this meeting. Thanks for reading, people. :HappyWave:

storminsteve
04-05-2011, 06:25 PM
Nonetheless, meetings like this are important because whenever we have a closure or restriction it places further pressure on striped bass.

Exactly, we are running out of species of fish to fish for. I wish I lived closer and didn't have to work till 5 that day. It's a 2 hour drive for me. Thanks for posting it anyways, guys.

ledhead36
04-07-2011, 02:27 PM
Bump to the top -I'm stuck at work and just now got a lunch break. The meeting starts today in less than 2 hrs, I hope some people can get to it. Good luck fellas and give em hell!

finchaser
04-07-2011, 08:41 PM
Went to the meeting, I spoke and voted for option 2 which was the 145 day season with 8 fish at 18 inches. Option 2 was decided on and put in place, this should insure we don't over fish. This option is also good for the fisherman and NJ economy. Option 2 will also take allot of pressure off of the already dwindling striped bass population which no one disagreed with.

May 7th to September 25th with 8 fish at 18"

Shorelady
04-07-2011, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the update, and your attending. Work got in the way as usual......

gjb1969
04-07-2011, 11:46 PM
well it is what it is 8 fish at 18 inch :banghead2::bonk::soapbox::(

DarkSkies
04-08-2011, 03:10 AM
^^Here's a guy who hardly ever fishes for fluke, and he went to the meeting anyway....because he knows how everything is related to everything else. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the report, Fin!

The thing that people need to focus on is that this will take pressure off striped bass with the longer season. Many people had different ideas and agendas of what they wanted. Yet they all came together as a group to make this happen.

When fishermen get involved instead of counting on the other guy to do it for them, there are endless possibilities. :learn:

On a side note, I was told our Sen Pallone, who has always been a "friend to fishermen" sent a rep down to the meeting because he couldn't make it. Nothing wrong with that. I could understand Sen Pallone being busy.

But the aide, when asked what Rep Pallone's position was, said that Pallone hadn't given him specifics, but "whatever the people wanted was what Pallone was for" :huh: :don't know why:

Sorry, people, but this seems a little lazy to me. IMO he needs to do a better job at least feigning interest in fishermen in the future if he wants our continued support. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.png

skinner
04-08-2011, 12:33 PM
The thing that people need to focus on is that this will take pressure off striped bass with the longer season.

Amen, the less pressure on the bass the better. Thanks for making the trip to the meeting finchaser. About how many people would you say showed up?

bababooey
04-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Those are great numbers. I can happily live with them. Thank you for reporting finchaser.

captnemo
04-08-2011, 01:05 PM
Finchaser, great effort on your part, thank you for all you do.

ledhead36
04-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the report FC. Yep, I am ok with that, happily. Great season. Good luck to everyone, a clear victory.

cowherder
04-08-2011, 01:21 PM
Thanks.

wish4fish
04-08-2011, 08:14 PM
thank u finchaser dude!