PDA

View Full Version : NY Fishing license repealed

surfstix1963
04-15-2011, 06:48 PM
The Legislature and Governor recently reached a final state budget agreement, which aids the tourism and the fishing industry on Long Island by repealing the state’s $10 recreational marine fishing license fee.

The agreement directs the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) to establish a free registry to take the place of the marine fishing license. The new registry is expected to be in place by early June. In the meantime, saltwater anglers may temporarily fish without a marine license and without registering with DEC.

The DEC will also issue refunds to holders of a lifetime recreational marine fishing license, minus the fee for the last year. Information on how to apply for a refund will be announced by the DEC at a later date.

For more on the final state budget, visit the New York State Assembly’s Web site (http://email.sheldon-silver.com/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=2100071384.36016.99&gen=1&mailing_linkid=2285). The site is also an informative resource on issues facing our state – including links to Assembly members, bill searches, Assembly committee news, and other communications designed to keep you connected to state government.

Again, thank you for keeping me updated on matters of importance to you. Your input helps me to better serve our state.

Sincerely,
Sheldon Silver

voyager35
04-16-2011, 08:15 PM
I for one am glad. I was on the fence about fishing the NY Bight and having to pay for a NY license as well as we sometimes fish near the Verrazano. I am surprised they would agree to refund some of the money. Gov't almost never does that. Thanks for the good news surfstix1963,

nitestrikes
04-16-2011, 09:29 PM
The DEC will also issue refunds to holders of a lifetime recreational marine fishing license, minus the fee for the last year. Information on how to apply for a refund will be announced by the DEC at a later date.

Unprecedented!:clapping::clapping:
I would also like to see them refund the yearly license fee a lot of us paid early.
Those dollars add up.

surfstix1963
04-18-2011, 12:51 PM
Yes if it went to marine fisheries I don't have an issue but it all goes to the general fund all the time.General Fund:All the tax money the politicians say they use but instead line their deep pockets with.

crosseyedbass
04-18-2011, 02:32 PM
They all got greedy with the wheelbarrows of easy money rolling in, And you are right, they need to stop funneling fees like this into the general fund. Enough is enough, thank you surfstix.

strikezone31
08-05-2011, 01:32 PM
Now they are giving refunds, who hoo!

Governor Cuomo today directed the Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) to issue refunds to recreational fishermen and charter boat operators who purchased a Recreational Marine Fishing License (RMFL) in addition to refunding license fees to New Yorkers who purchased lifetime licenses.
Governor Cuomo Directs DEC to issue Refunds to New Yorkers for Saltwater Fishing Licenses | Governor
governor.ny.gov

crosseyedbass
08-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Hey I definitely want my money back, if we all pay that is ok, but if I'm one of the few suckers who paid when everyone else didn't I want a chance to get it back. Thanks for posting strikezone.

DarkSkies
04-04-2012, 08:06 AM
This is something a LI friend recently sent me in to remind me. Old news, but there's a reason I'm posting it today....

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2011/04/new_york_state_halts_10_saltwa.htmlNew York state halts $10 saltwater fishing licenses

Published: Friday, April 08, 2011, 6:21 PM Updated: Friday, April 08, 2011, 6:21 PM

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — New York has halted the state’s $10 annual saltwater fishing license as part of a plan to replace it with a free registry for coastal waters.
The state Department of Environmental Conservation announced Friday that a recreational marine fishing license is no longer required in the Atlantic Ocean off Long Island and New York City, or when fishing for migratory species like striped bass on the 150 miles of the Hudson River below the Troy Dam.
Gov. Andrew Cuomo and lawmakers mandated the change in budget legislation. The DEC expects to have the registry in place in June.
“The fee for a saltwater fishing license was likely going to keep New Yorkers from fishing and threatened the future of small businesses that depend on free and easy access to recreational fishing across the state,“ Cuomo said. “Fishing is an important recreational activity for so many New Yorkers and a critical commercial industry.“
New York claims coastal jurisdiction for three miles out. The saltwater licenses were proposed by Gov. David Paterson’s administration and adopted by the Legislature in 2009. Licenses were issued that fall, and in little more than six months, the state collected $2.57 million selling 142,085.
Environmentalists said fisherman paid about $1.7 million last year and the money is needed for marine programs. Lawmakers rescinded the fees and substituted the free registry for two years.
Jeff Jones, a consultant to the Natural Resources Defense Council, said the state will also lose about $1.4 million a year in federal matching funds. “That is money New York desperately needs for habitat protection and ocean management,“ he said.
Last year, seven Long Island towns claiming rights from colonial times to fish free won a lawsuit against DEC licenses for town waters.
The state licenses, and now the free registration, are meant to bring New York in line with a federal mandate to document U.S. fisheries and help with long-term management. That federal law would impose a federal license fee for New York starting this year unless the state enacted its own measure.
Separate freshwater fishing licenses, which cost state residents $5 per day and $29 for the year, are required for New York’s lakes, rivers, streams and generally for the Hudson above the Tappan Zee.

Yes if it went to marine fisheries I don't have an issue but it all goes to the general fund all the time.General Fund:All the tax money the politicians say they use but instead line their deep pockets with.

Excellent point Surfstix. Yesterday I had a long discussion with a few folks who have a wider perspective on this than I have had.....
I wanted to bring your point up, because I was told that a majority of folks feel as you do....

We don't trust the Gov't to take the $$ from a possible SW license and put it directly to use for fishermen...hence the resistance....

I will be coming back to this thread to cite some of these comments, so I thank you for your honest opinions. Don't hold back...feel free to speak out no matter which side you support....thanks. :HappyWave: