PDA

View Full Version : Striped Bass out of water survival

Monty
04-16-2011, 10:05 PM
There was some discussion in another thread about this, thought it would be good to see a bunch of opinions on the subject.

What do you feel is the maximum amount of time a Striped Bass can be kept out of the water so that the bass has a great chance to survive?

jigfreak
04-16-2011, 10:19 PM
3 minutes tops. Just because it swims away doesnt mean it lives. I think if you want to be fair you should put the 8 minutes option in there too.

Monty
04-16-2011, 11:12 PM
3 minutes tops. Just because it swims away doesnt mean it lives. I think if you want to be fair you should put the 8 minutes option in there too.

I think three minutes is a long time to have a fish out of the water for a bass to have a great chance of survival. There really shouldn't be a reason to have a bass out of the water longer than that (I agree with you there). Although I have seen it many times when I fished Island Beach 10-15 years ago. I guy lands a striper, drags it 20 feet up the sand, grabs it. Waltzes back to his truck, measures it and walks back to the water and THROWS it back in. Hopefully guys like this don't catch many fish. I tried to edit the post, can't.
I think my releases are almost always under a minute + I make sure they are revived. I almost never see anyone revive a fish....But I mostly fish alone and don't see many others catch fish.

vpass
04-16-2011, 11:44 PM
I start worry after 30 Sec. I usally get them back in the water in less then 20 to 30sec. I use plugs only and crushed barbs. I also use the Boga grip to aid in a fast release.

surfstix1963
04-17-2011, 08:26 AM
If it can be kept in the water thats the ticket if not one minute or less thats why your barbs should be crushed and a single hook used on the rear, on alot of my plugs I cut one hook gap off of my front treble.I see alot of people that say they don't want to kill the fish but have 2-3 trebles on their plugs basically the more things you have to fiddle with the worse the fishes survival will be you don't lose fish because your barbs are crushed you lose them because of angler error usually giving the fish too much slack they shake th head and bye bye

surfwalker
04-17-2011, 08:39 AM
I really don't know how long out of water is safe, but I must say that the best way is quickly. PLACE the Bass back in the water as soon as you unhook it. How many pictures do you have to take? How high do you have to hold that Bass so that everyone on the beach can see it? How far do you have to prominade it around before you release it? Nobody cares what you got. Just unhook it, respect it and then release it. If you're not sure of the size, keep a tape with you, not 50' away. Make sure you have pliers or something with you for those stubborn hook ups.

All I'm trying to put across is that nobody can state for sure that a Bass will survive after being out of water for a period of time. Just respect this fish and enjoy it. It will return the favor for years to come, if allowed . Good topic.

DarkSkies
04-17-2011, 09:09 AM
All I'm trying to put across is that nobody can state for sure that a Bass will survive after being out of water for a period of time. Just respect this fish and enjoy it. It will return the favor for years to come, if allowed . Good topic.

Some great points made here, people. Good, solid, non-antagonistic discussion with reasons backing your opinions.:thumbsup: And I know some of ya's have been fishin for a very long time.

I've asked Monty to open this poll up a bit by adding 1 or 2 other options.
He went out fishin in the slop last night :headbang: and he's probably not back yet.

When he sets up the new poll, I'll transfer all these answers to that thread.
Thanks for your perspectives, guys and giirls. :HappyWave:

Monty
04-17-2011, 02:16 PM
I lost a few fish when I went barbless a few years ago.
So I put them back on (barbed hooks).
I carry small bolt cutters to cut hooks if need be to free a fish (bass/blue or whatever). Also good to have if a hook gets stuck in a hand. Also carry a few spare a trebles. I will also crush a barb with my pliers while releasing a fish if I think its necessary.
http://rocksimpson.com/images/2011_4_16_cutters.jpg

cowherder
04-17-2011, 02:40 PM
I think I read that a fish should be out of water no longer than you can hold your breath. So 2-3 minutes seems almost the extreme limit. I would believe some of the guys on here, you do not know if that fish will live or die when it swims away, so you should take the most care you can and get it back quickly.

fishinmission78
04-17-2011, 03:21 PM
I eat most of what I catch. If I am not eating it for some reason, I get it back asap, usually 1 min or less. And someone said in the other thread that cold water and warm water makes a difference, that is definitely true.

That goes for bleeding fish as well. In cold water a fish has a greater chance, warm water bleeder, it's 100% crab food when it goes back.

bababooey
04-17-2011, 11:12 PM
2 minutes.

DarkSkies
04-18-2011, 09:23 AM
I'm mostly C&R, occasionally eat a bass. Been doing the same thing freshwater for years when we used to sneak in Split Rock for the fantastic FW fishing. Successfully C&R thousands of fish in my life. You have to understand, as Finchaser and others have mentioned, that even with careful C&R there is a statistical mortality rate. That's the reason behind getting the fish back into the water ASAP.

We always try to get the bass back in a minute or less. I think there are some studies and posts regarding that here Re: the Mortality rate. I can tell you the water temp has a marked affect on release mortality as others have said here. I don't think anyone should be shot at dawn if they're C&R and not getting it back within this specific time frame. :lynchmob: :) As long as you are doing your best, that's what counts.

That being said, the examples of Monty and others, people catching a fish, running them up the beach, getting their camera ready, fumbling for the measuring tape to "see" if it's legal or not, passing the fish around from person to person so all will be part of that photo op.....they don't help the fish to survive.

And I've witnessed, and confronted, plenty of people on the beach whose idea of C&R is to kick the bass with their foot like a football because they're too busy to walk it to the water.

So if you're going to kill and eat it, please do, it's all good. :thumbsup:

But as others have said, if you are concerned with C&R and catching those fish in the future, it makes sense to handle them with the utmost care and get them back in the water pronto.

I'll try to find some of the threads here that talk about this scientifically, and post the links when I get a chance.

Thanks for authoring a thread that promotes intelligent discussion, Monty. :thumbsup: :HappyWave:

clamchucker
04-18-2011, 10:38 AM
Monty if you are catching and releasing I wouldn't worry about losing a fish. The key is to apply constant pressure and do not even give it one inch of slack. I like to crush my barbs because if I make an error and the hook somehow ends up in my finger it will be easier to work it out. I think many good points have been made here. You folks who are bait fishing and catching and releasing should also try to diligently use circle hooks.

buckethead
04-19-2011, 05:48 PM
I try to get it back in under 3 minutes. Clamchucker very good advice about the circle hooks.

Monty
04-21-2011, 12:51 PM
:HappyWave: clamchucker

Monty if you are catching and releasing I wouldn't worry about losing a fish.
Even though I am almost always C and R I want to land (and release) every fish I can. I'm fishing, enjoying my time trying to catch fish. Always trying to improve my fishing skills (lots and lots and lots of room for improvement).

The key is to apply constant pressure and do not even give it one inch of slack. I like to crush my barbs because if I make an error and the hook somehow ends up in my finger it will be easier to work it out..
I fly fished for trout for 15 years with crushed barbs and would not fish any other way for trout. I tried barbless for Blues and Stripers and lost to many fish. If it was because of how I fought the fish, that's the way it is. I decided to fish with barbs and with a combination of good pliers, small bolt cutters for cutting hooks and what I feel is good fish releasing protocol, I'm happy with how I address releasing fish. :)
I do care if the fish lives and I get them back quickly and do whatever I can to see them swim away.
And I'm always reading forums, looking for ideas to try.

madcaster mentioned in another forum about marking the 28" mark on your rod, I have 3 white thin rings (30", 40" and 50") from the butt (use the Sally Hanson Hard as Nails Polish), on all my rods. Makes for a very quick way of getting a measurement of a fish.

ledhead36
04-21-2011, 11:07 PM
:And I'm always reading forums, looking for ideas to try. I have 3 white thin rings (30", 40" and 50") from the butt (use the Sally Hanson Hard as Nails Polish), on all my rods. Makes for a very quick way of getting a measurement of a fish.

Good advice.

clamchucker
04-22-2011, 10:56 AM
You sound like you have a real concern for the future of striped bass Monty. I see that and hope you did not take anything I said as criticism. Good luck this year. Let's hope we can get some good days out of it.

Monty
04-22-2011, 12:37 PM
You sound like you have a real concern for the future of striped bass Monty. I see that and hope you did not take anything I said as criticism. Good luck this year. Let's hope we can get some good days out of it.
Clamchucker I did not take it for criticism at all. I think the best thing about these forums is reading everyone's opinions and ideas. No way we all agree with each other, but for me at least, I think them over and consider them somewhat and some do impact my thoughts and how I go about things. Good luck to you also this year. :HappyWave:

lostatsea
04-23-2011, 08:50 PM
you do not know if that fish will live or die when it swims away, so you should take the most care you can and get it back quickly.
agreed

CharlieTuna
04-23-2011, 09:22 PM
Most of my fishing is out of a boat now. If we are not keeping it we will release right at the water, usually one minute or less.

DarkSkies
04-27-2011, 08:13 AM
I'm glad you started this thread, Monty. Hopefully no one reading this will think my comments are directed directly at them, but this is the kind of topic that apparently needs to be discussed. People really need education on this one.

Anecdotal example:
The other night before I went fishin I stopped at a local beach. A guy had just bought in a short bass, around 26". He measured it against someone's tape. Then he continued to take it back where his gear was, to measure it again. He was fumbling around, and several minutes passed by. Some of the guys there were grumbling that it would be dead before he put it back in the water.

I approached the guy, and said just that, what the others were grumbling, but didn't feel like confronting him about.

I said "You know these bass really can't stand the stress of being out of the water for a long time. If you leave him out for too long, even you complying with the law and throwing it back, he could end up dead."

His response:
"No way! These fish can live for HOURS out of the water! Don't worry yourself about it, this is my fish and I can do whatever I want with it!" :kooky:
I tried to educate him a little further, using my famous diplomacy. :rolleyes:

That didn't work. It deteriorated into an argument where he and his friend both grabbed on to me. Undaunted I told them they were faced with the possibility of swimming with the fish. :scared: ;) At least I tried, the right way, at first. :d

Some people just don't know, and if you really want to educate them, please try to choose your words carefully. Think about how we all didn't know a lot when we first started fishing. Everyone deserves the benefit of the doubt.

As I said, some people just don't know these things, and deserve a little diplomacy.
Others, just don't care, and that's a bit different. ;)

storminsteve
04-28-2011, 06:13 AM
Some people just don't know, and if you really want to educate them, please try to choose your words carefully. Think about how we all didn't know a lot when we first started fishing. Everyone deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Well-said.

seamonkey
05-26-2011, 01:52 PM
I said 2 minutes because that's about the time it takes me to unhook the fish if I am fishing bait and put it back. When I am plugging the time would be less.

hookset
09-19-2014, 04:36 PM
Looking for an opinion of some of the gents here who catch and release. Look at the video.
They have the bass out of the water for at least a few minutes. They put it in the water and literally after swishing her around for 19 seconds they are releasing it. The release lasts from :30 to :49 of the video
So whats your opinion does that bass live or not after it was "released".:huh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7swTs0w688&list=UUvoTSjTIzAzes2ZsdGHTL7w

jigfreak
09-19-2014, 04:49 PM
There is no way that fish swam away healthy after being in revived for 19 secs. That fish was released - as crab food.

buckethead
07-16-2015, 07:01 AM
There was a question about out of water survival in the other thread.

finchaser
07-16-2015, 03:54 PM
Think of a fish like a human in reverse how long can you hold your breathe under water that's what I go by.

Also lipping a big fish can damage its organs

The kid is a pompous ***_ole and a disgrace to the sport

cowherder
12-18-2016, 11:31 AM
Good points. I agree with your post as well finchaser.