PDA

View Full Version : Connecticut fishing reports

albiealert
04-23-2011, 08:31 PM
Hey Dark I didn't see the reports up for this year, so I'll start.
I fished a river near me this morning using bombers. Caught one little guy, about 23" with a slow retrieve. I think it will only get better from here. Good luck to all you folks for 2011!:HappyWave:

bluesdude71
04-25-2011, 02:52 PM
Heey thanks for the report albie. Way to get out there, I haven't been, yet. Good luck to you also.

DarkSkies
04-26-2011, 08:58 AM
Thank you for starting the thread, Albiealert. Hope you and the family had a great Easter! :HappyWave:

albiealert
06-20-2011, 09:21 AM
Thanks Dark, didn't see this till now, hope you and the family had a great Fathers Day!
I was out in the Sound over the weekened with my co-worker in his boat. We snagged some bunker and chunked in 25 feet of water. We got 3 big bluefish and one bass, around 21lbs, which he kept. There are a LOT of bunker around.

albiealert
07-18-2011, 02:15 PM
Bunker are still around. Last night it was hot and I took a drive to fish for a bit and cool off. There were bunker in a harbor near a river I sometimes fish. They were close, so I snagged a few with a weighted treble. Let them drop, no action. Brought them to where there was a little more current. Cut them up and chunked them with circle hooks. Ended up with 1 bass, 16lbs, released, and 2 gator blues over 12lbs, also released. The action seems like it has slowed down a bit as water temperatures have gotten hotter. So maybe I was lucky last night, as I have been out 3 times before that and could not find a thing.

albiealert
08-05-2011, 01:53 PM
Got one little guy last night, bomber and teaser, edge of a river, right at the top of the outgoing. There were a lot of small rainfish around, the bass hit the teaser.

bluesdude71
09-13-2011, 09:21 AM
Fished my local river at the beginning of the ebb tide cycle today. Managed 2 short fat bass using a megabait plug.

DarkSkies
10-22-2011, 06:45 PM
Rip-Plugger has started catching fish in the rivers up there.....he sent some pics...

Sent: Friday, October 21, 2011 1:05 PM
Subject:

Monty
10-25-2011, 09:08 PM
Rip-Pluggers good friend Malibu Kenny came up from Florida for some fishing. MK's first night out with the big guy and he tangles with a Big Girl. After an epic battle MK lands this 45 inch Striper. R-P takes a quick pic and MK returned her back to the water. Rip-Plugger is doing some nice fishing and catching this fall up there.
Nice catch MK, he caufght it on a Smiling Bill
http://rocksimpson.com/images/mk_45_inch_striper.jpg

gjb1969
10-26-2011, 12:00 AM
now thats a bass i am want to see on the end of my line but with my luck this year its wishful thinking
:rolleyes:

albiealert
11-06-2011, 07:31 PM
Wow Malibu Kenny that is a pig! Great going. I fished the river last night, went through some shads because the bluefish are in. 2 bluefish to 7 lbs and one short bass about that size, all on the tsunami shads.

surfstix1963
11-07-2011, 03:37 PM
Alot of guys would be dying for a bluefish in NY and NJ lol

DarkSkies
11-10-2011, 03:04 PM
I think it's amazing that you guys still have bluefish up there and our NJ surf has been barren of the larger blues for most of the season....Contrary to what people think, bluefish ain't stupid, they go where the highest concentrations of bait are...Nice catches, people...:thumbsup:

Rip Plugger's latest...
" got out later than I wanted,tide was ebbed at 2hrs by then,still did 8
fish wth 2 fatties.
strong fighters too,I thought I had fish that were bigger than they
felt.
took 3 on small white smiling bill and 5 on the albino seashad.

had fun doing it,warm temp too at 53 degreesF,weaher permitting I'll do
it aain thursday night.
took a few shots,will send later"

albiealert
12-05-2011, 11:32 AM
Nice going guys. I am now using small plugs like bombers and megabait because it seems the bait is small. Got one bass 29" last night on a black bomber. Conditions were perfect and it was really nice out. Released the fish.

DarkSkies
04-05-2012, 03:44 PM
Rip-Plugger report 3-30-12

got OTW at 10:30pm,tide was down but still heading out.

first thing was a 6 inch rip-runner in hallows eve color,slung it out past the second rip,it got slammed as it hit the second rip,I slam it back and the fish tried to sound on me,take me under the ledge but,he was way too far out.
I had my drag tight and using 30 lb mono,I could lean on it hard,it took no drag but was surging.

I put heavy pressure on it and I felt the plug slip out but,the tail hook nailed him in the side near the pectoral fin,
I got it in but,it was a battle.niced fat fish too around 28 inches or so.

I change to a tiny rip-runner in black/light green belly,the ones I did up with a single treble,it gets slammed on the second cast between the 2 rips.
I lay into it and it thrashes on top,I land it and it's another fine fish about the same size.
I took a shot of it and released it.
I cast again with the same plug and it gets hit hard but,it got off.
it gets quiet and i switch to a 6 inch sea-shad with a 5/8ths oz head.
I sling that out for a while and I got a bump then a bang on it.I hook the fish and it shoots straight at me and gets off.

another cast across both rips and it gets hammered,I lay into it and drag it in.
the fish didn't fight much and I didn't know why,it was fat but,it did nothing to get away,it was like it knew me or somerthing.
anyhow,I took a pic and released it.

tried wood again but,it was nothing doing.I switched up and threw the batch,put on the sea shad and hooked up in a few casts.a small fish about 18 inches comes to shore.
saw some small bait looked to be about 5 inches long,scattered around but,nothing in a big school.
tide was low and slowing down but,still dropping.
it was nice out there and being out there was great,no heads around and it was all mine,,,,,,,

So,I ended up with 5 fish to shore and a wide smile,nothing went wrong and no dammed bugs!
till next session,,,,,,,

DarkSkies
04-05-2012, 03:45 PM
another cast across both rips and it gets hammered,I lay into it and drag it in.
the fish didn't fight much and I didn't know why,it was fat but,it did nothing to get away,it was like it knew me or somerthing.

Colder water, Roddy?
What are the water temps up there now?

DarkSkies
04-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Sat March 31 Rip Plugger report:

got otw about 11-pm,tide was down but still going slow,only one fish landed.
it took a chubby wedgehead/riprunner hybrid swimmer I built over the winter or late last year[chocolate/with white frosted top@5.5 inches]
was quiet but,had 2 other fish slam rubber but,no hook,smaller fish.
may take out my wife on monday night or tuesday night.

cheers
H-H

Rip-Plugger
04-05-2012, 08:33 PM
Colder water, Roddy?
What are the water temps up there now?

I don't think so,it was in shock I think.
it was not injured or anything,just didn't move much,,,strange,,,,,,,

water temp is right around 48-50 right now.that has not stopped them from slamming wood though.

R-P

CharlieTuna
04-05-2012, 08:59 PM
Nice going HH!

albiealert
04-19-2012, 04:19 PM
Hey guys I have been fishing my local river and getting some nice bass. They just started hitting good in the last 10 days. Been out twice and got bass to 32". all released. On bombers and redfins.
Have you caught anything lately ripplugger?

albiealert
05-07-2012, 07:42 PM
Got some more bass since last report, Same bomber and anything that looks like a bomber. The herring are around. 14 bass total to 12 pounds, all released.

bluesdude71
05-11-2012, 04:59 PM
Nice going albie. Seems now the bait is all over and the bigger blues are coming in with the bass. Good times.

Monty
06-04-2012, 05:14 PM
Rip Plugger Bass on one of his pieces of wood, June 1st.
He catches more bass on wood that anyone I know of.
http://rocksimpson.com/images/2012_6_1_HH_Bass.jpg

vpass
06-04-2012, 09:23 PM
Rip, that is one nice bass, I love the plug too. The plug I got swims awesome, Leaves a nice wake that if any bass were around they would smash that plug. Thanks again.

Monty
06-07-2012, 02:46 PM
Another pic of a Rip-Plugger bass on his wood (caught yesterday).
He is currently in the ZONE....The BASS ZONE :thumbsup:

Monty
06-09-2012, 02:21 PM
Rip-Plugger is still banging Bass on wood.
This is a 21 lb bass on big wood, released:

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2012_6_9_HH_Bass.jpg

storminsteve
06-09-2012, 07:06 PM
Awesome fish rip plugger!

albiealert
10-24-2012, 09:03 AM
Its awesome that you were getting those fish in June. I slow down my fishing during that time and don't start fishing a lot till Sept. Nice work! I got out last night and got 2 short bass on school bus bomber.

albiealert
11-27-2012, 06:28 AM
Have not been reporting in a while. Have been out a few times before and since Thanksgiving. The wind was pretty harsh so most of the time I haven't fished, When I could I got some small schoolie bass to 27". All on chicken scratch or black bombers at night. The fishing has slowed down a lot since the last storm.

albiealert
04-06-2013, 01:32 PM
I fugured it was time to get out again and give it a try. Got out last night. Fished a river for a few hours. Incoming tide near the top of it.
Managed 2 bass to 22". I was using bombers and a mackerel colored mag darter. I don't know what the water temperature was but it wasn't that bad. It was nice and comfortable with the wind at my back. Only needed one sweater under my jacket and waders.

Monty
04-08-2013, 07:04 AM
Rip Plugger officially started off hiss 2013 year with his first Striper of the year, caught on what else.....WOOD.

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2013_4_7_RP.jpg

albiealert
04-08-2013, 10:05 AM
Awesome report congrats ripplugger! I started fishing the other night too. I think the fish are definitely here. It is still a little cold but I am crawling the plugs in very slowly.

albiealert
04-12-2013, 05:44 AM
Got out again last night. 2 stripers to 26". Black bomber and the daiwa sp minnow caught near the top of the incoming tide.

albiealert
05-06-2013, 08:25 PM
Stripers are starting to be more consistent. Got out tonight and caught 4 to 27". School bus bomber at first then the last one on a black bomber. They hit hard and were a lot of fun.

CharlieTuna
05-07-2013, 09:09 PM
Nice going albie. Living vicariously through this and the nj forum reports until we get some bass action up here. Keep up the good work

albiealert
09-22-2013, 03:22 PM
Fished a few times this summer and caught some very small bass. Started to fish more in September and it has been not that great. It is getting better much more so in the last week. Have been out 3 times, twice at night and once at sunrise. Total catch is 7 blue fish to 10 llbs and one short striper this morning. Most on black or chicken scratch bombers and the SP.

albiealert
10-28-2013, 01:26 PM
October has been terrible for me but I finally got 2 bass last night. They were both fat one was 21" and the other 26". On a black bomber.

albiealert
03-26-2014, 09:27 AM
Figured I would give it a try. Been out twice so far in a local river. First time nothing. Last night had one swipe on a chicken scratch bomber but missed the hookup. Was tossing bombers and sps. Will try again soon.

albiealert
04-14-2014, 12:34 PM
Got out last night for a few hours in a river. The conditions seemed perfect but not a tap. I am waiting for the herring and bunker around the first 2 weeks of may but will keep trying before that.

albiealert
04-23-2014, 05:16 AM
Still no herring or bunker but the stripers are starting to get more active. Fished a river this morning the start of the outgoing tide. Picked up 4 stripers to 30" all released. Was tossing the daiwa sp.

Monty
04-23-2014, 06:00 AM
Still no herring or bunker but the stripers are starting to get more active. Fished a river this morning the start of the outgoing tide. Picked up 4 stripers to 30" all released. Was tossing the daiwa sp.

Nice report, Rip Plugger mentioned he heard the bass were starting to get active up that way.

albiealert
06-03-2014, 09:22 PM
Well it's been hit or miss this year. Herring and stripers were pretty good but that has ended for me. Have been out a few times. Nothing that great till tonight. Got a 32inch striper tonight. Fished for 2 hours after work. Released. Taken on a SP. Also got 2 bluefish. Biggest was 9lbs. all released.

albiealert
07-01-2014, 03:50 PM
A little update, got a few more stripers after my last report. About 10 days they were here after that. Then all of a sudden they vanished. I haven't caught a bass since june 13. The ones after my 32 incher were all shorts. I heard about bunker in the sound at night but have not seen any. The big bluefish seem to have vanished as well.

albiealert
07-12-2014, 03:01 PM
Tried again last night but all I could find was the skunk.

albiealert
07-31-2014, 01:05 PM
Have not reported in a while. Have been out a few times with little to show for it. Last night was the lastest. Fished a local river close to high tide. There is a lot of bait but it seems to be few stripers on it. did catch a few snapper blues on a mambo minnow. That was it for me.

albiealert
09-13-2014, 10:42 PM
I haven't checked in here in awhile because I have had nothing to report. Looks like some little stripers have moved in to the rivers. I was out twice in the last 2 weeks prior to tonight and zippo. Tonight I was concerned about the river because we had some rain. Instead of dirty water it wasn't bad, Managed 2 short bass on a chicken scratch bomber. Wishing all of you a good Fall.

albiealert
10-16-2014, 09:25 AM
Fishing the last week. Over the weekend I fished a local river and picked up 3 stripers on schoolbus bomber, incoming tide near high tide. Water was very clean. Last night I fished in the rain because it wasnt that windy. Gave it a try for an hour but zippo.

albiealert
04-30-2015, 02:06 PM
Started my season last nite. Went to a local river on the incoming tide. Picked up 2 little guys on a white rubber shad. Not much but its a start.

albiealert
06-19-2015, 03:59 PM
Hey hope all the guys here have been catching some fish. Have been getting out pretty steadily once a week or every 10 nights. May was pretty good. Managed one bass per trip with schoolbus bomber or using sp minnows. I had 2 skunked trips in June. First week got one nice 29" striper, and the last 2 weeks just a few bluefish. I don't fish as much as some of the rest of you but will keep fishing even if its only blues. At least it is a tug on the end of the line. We have had good fishing weather lately. Lots of overcast nights and not that many bugs. Tight lines everyone!

Monty
06-19-2015, 05:27 PM
Tight lines everyone!

Nice report, and some action out that way. Been hearing that the fishing up there has been spotty at best. In some areas the action has been abismal.

albiealert
07-11-2015, 10:43 AM
Well after that my results have been abysmal. Been out the last 3 weeks and nothing. Took a week off for the holiday and may try again this weekend.

albiealert
09-25-2015, 02:15 PM
Things have finally started to look up again. Been out twice in the last week. First trip nothing. Last night I pulled 2 short stripers on the bone SP minnow. Hoping for more. Usually I do ok from the first week of october onward. Will keep you guys posted. Tight lines everyone.

albiealert
03-13-2016, 05:43 AM
All right folks there have been some fish around. Been out 6 times in the last 2 weeks. There is a lot of bait around. Managed some stripers on half of the trips. SPs and mag darters. Some of the boat guys have been killing it by jigging shads and bass assassins. The fish move and sometimes are just too far up or down from me. My best night so far got 12 up to 27". Nice fun on light tackle.

albiealert
05-13-2017, 07:22 AM
Sorry I haven't been able to report in awhile. Business trips and family keeping me busy. The striper action has been good for me in my local river. March was slow for me but the guys on the boats and kayaks did well. April was much better. Tried a few favorite places. Got stripers up to 32" released. Most were in the 20-25" range though. My best nights were around the full and new moons. After a relatively sunny day when the water was heated up I usually did ok. Bone SPs and schoolbus bombers have done the best where I was. Lots of herring in the water this year. Tight lines everyone!

albiealert
09-19-2017, 02:27 PM
Have been away from my home state gents. Not much time to fish. Did have some time to drive down the cape cod canal and see the madness. Geez from the traffic and trash you could see they were catching. Still too crowded, and I didn't have my pole with me anyway. Back in my home state now and been out a few times in Sept. Managed a few schoolies on school bus bombers and yellow SPs. Bone is a good color as well. May try to fish this weekend with the moon if it's not too rainy and windy.