PDA

View Full Version : The current state of fishing....Finchaser in Asbury Park Press May 1, 2011

DarkSkies
05-01-2011, 12:18 PM
:fishing: The current state of fishing is discussed in this Asbury Park Press article dated today.

It's in their Sports section.
It features our one and only Old Grouchy Basstard Finchaser, and Joe Melillo from Castaways Bait and Tackle in Point Pleasant, 2 old-time fishermen who have lived through the Striped Bass Moratorium, and between them have over 100 years of fishing experience.

These gentlemen have seen great variations in fishing for all species in the salt water world, and many differences in opinion as to why.

The reporter went into depth asking them questions, and I think anyone who wants to be entertained :cool: and informed at the same time should run out and buy a copy of the Asbury Park Press, Sunday edition, today.

As soon as I get my copy, I have permission to post exerpts from the article.

I'm sure it will be a learning experience, and as entertaining as these 2 crazy old timers have been known to be. They were pretty candid on some of their views. :scared: I hope that stuff made it to print.....

In the meanwhile, if anyone has a copy and wants to post comments or anything else about these 2 esteemed members of the saltwater fishing community, feel free. :thumbsup:

And congrats to both of ya's for being featured. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
You both have seen a lot in your years out there. It's about time ya's got a broader audience. :HappyWave:

bababooey
05-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Is this the article you are talking about, Dark? If so, congratulations to finchaser and Joe. I am assuming you are the 2 identified as Wutkowski's fishing buddies?

Fishing boat captain takes on new role as Barnegat Bay Guardian

8:34 PM, Apr. 30, 2011 |
1Comments (http://www.app.com/comments/article/20110430/NJNEWS/110430019/Fishing-boat-captain-takes-new-role-Barnegat-Bay-Guardian)

http://cmsimg.app.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=B3&Date=20110430&Category=NJNEWS&ArtNo=110430019&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0 Purchase Image (javascript:void(null);)

Longtime fishing boat captain "Big Al" Wutkowski is the Barnegat Bay Guardian for the American Littoral Society. Helen Henderson of the Littorial Society listens as he talks about his role on a dock in Bay Head. / STAFF PHOTO: TOM SPADER

[/URL]

http://cmsimg.app.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/persbilde?Avis=B3&ID=moore&maxH=55&masW=55 Written by

KIRK MOORE
STAFF WRITER

Related Links

Battle looms on efforts to restore Barnegat Bay (javascript:void(null);)
Barnegat Bay Under Stress (http://special.app.com/special/barnegatbay/)

"Big Al" Wutkowski earned a reputation as one of the Jersey Shore's best striped-bass charter captains during his 30-plus years on the water.
Now, Wutkowski wants to land something much bigger — the involvement of Barnegat Bay's immense boating and fishing population in efforts to restore the bay's ecology.

"I'll be looking out for wildlife, pollution, and hopefully I'm going to try to educate people. I won't be out there like a cop," said Wutkowski, who volunteered through the Environmental Commission in his town of Point Pleasant.

That in turn led him to interviews with the Sandy Hook-based American Littoral Society, which decided to take up his offer. "I told them there wouldn't be any expense to them — my boat, my fuel, my time."

"We're really looking for him to implement the education portion of the governor's 10-point plan for the bay, telling boaters what they can do better," said Helen Henderson of the Littoral Society.

It's a big audience — some 28 percent of New Jersey's registered boats are docked in Ocean County, according to a 2008 report commissioned by the New Jersey Marine Trades Association.

Wutkowski said he will talk about proper fueling and bilge cleaning techniques — he's constantly troubled by the number of oiled birds he rescues on the water and delivers to the Mercer County Wildlife Center for rehabilitation.

He will hand out information about Ocean County's boat sewage pump-out vessels and marina pump-outs, and help scientists by providing his custom-built Seavee 25-foot center console boat as a research platform.

Wutkowski's fishing buddies like his second act. That does not spare him friendly heckling over his new job description.

"Barnegat Bay Guardian? That's what you're called? I love it," Bob Caracozzo of Brick told him at Castaways Bait & Tackle in Point Pleasant. "It sounds better than Big Al the Striped Bass Fisherman."

Caracozzo and shop owner Joe Melillo of Howell were among founding members of the Jersey Coast Anglers Association in 1979, and they say the decline in Barnegat Bay fishing has been apparent for years.

Page 2 of 2)

"We've been here forever. There's a lot less fish, and I think that has to do with the fact that the bay doesn't have as much eelgrass. This year there's absolutely no bait," the small fish that attract bigger species, he said.

"When the marshes are polluted, or go away, you lose all those fish, especially the small bait fish," Melillo said. "The upper Metedeconk, the upper Beaver Dam (Creek), is where you see the 1-inch bunker (menhaden) grow to peanut bunker, the snappers, the mullet. Those are areas we should be monitoring, but we don't."

With the upper bay infested with stinging sea nettle jellyfish, more waterfront homeowners now have swimming pools — and some pump their filter backwash into lagoons, the fishermen said. On the upper Metedeconk, Melillo finds clumps of freshly mown grass that gets dumped in the woods near Forge Pond.

"We need a guy like Al. We need a few Als," he said.

Wutkowski said the project is getting local business support. Sanzari Marina in Bay Head will supply fuel at a reduced price, while Schrader Yacht Sales and Carver Boat Sales in Point Pleasant will help with services and engine oil. Once his Seavee is outfitted with new markings, watch for Wutkowski on patrol.

[URL]http://www.app.com/article/20110430/NJNEWS/110430019/Fishing-boat-captain-takes-on-new-role-as-Barnegat-Bay-Guardian-

cowherder
05-01-2011, 01:21 PM
Way to go guys! I'm wondering if Big Al Wutkowski took on the position to get together with that Helen Henderson? I think she's hot for an older lady!

finchaser
05-01-2011, 01:45 PM
It's ashamed they didn't print the rest of what we said for the interview especially about how the beach restoration and jetty removal has really hurt beach fishing and destroyed sand eel beds. this same sand is said to be not fit to back fill bulk heads because of contamination ,but is OK to restore beaches

wish4fish
05-01-2011, 10:14 PM
sry to hear that fin dude thats the way it goes sumtimes, grats anyway for getting ur name in print i never got my nzme in the paper except when i got arrested for dui thats why i dont drink and drive anymore or i let my freind drive its not worth it. tite lines to u and good luck fishin

hookset
05-01-2011, 11:29 PM
They always twist it arount to whatever they want it to be about, despite what they tell you when they first interview you. Good job anyway.

DarkSkies
05-02-2011, 05:03 PM
They interviewed you 2 for over an hour, and took hundreds of pictures. :huh:
That's the way of the press. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png
Some of the things they interviewed you giuys about should have ended up in print. A lot of people could have benifited from them. Oh, well. :don't know why:
Like others said, glad ya's got some coverage, next time....:thumbsup: :HappyWave:

voyager35
05-03-2011, 08:31 AM
Kudos for getting your names in print, gentlemen.

jigfreak
05-03-2011, 06:18 PM
X2.:thumbsup:

lostatsea
05-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Yeah news reporters always do stuff like that, one hour of interviews for a 30 sec sound bite. congratulations anyway!

BassBuddah
05-06-2011, 01:30 PM
It's always nice to see your name in the paper unless it is your obituary. Congratulations, fellas.