PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Catching your Limit, over and over, in one day....

DarkSkies
05-12-2011, 08:11 AM
Lately with all the big girls around, people are doing it.

Some are doing it discreetly, some clandestinely.
Some are doing it, going into tackle shops to buy more snag rigs, and bragging about how many fish they kept that day.

People already know my thoughts, and my fearlessness to get into anyone's face if I see it. :argue:
What are your thoughts on this?

People were doing it with winter flounder in the inlets, not much outrage was generated. :huh:

People are doing it now with big bass 25# and up.

If you were fishing next to a guy who did that, what would you say?
What are your thoughts on people who do this?

Does it violate any fish and game laws?

finchaser
05-12-2011, 08:17 AM
In another few years bass will be gone ,sites like this won't exist and the culprits will blame the netters. What I witnessed the other day at a marina when the head boats came in made the commercials look like angels.

Think about it they keep hundreds of pounds of fish in day when the big ones are targeted but who would go to a fish market and buy a hundred pounds of fish

hookset
05-12-2011, 08:52 AM
These are the NJ regulations Darkskies. If they are doing what you said they are breaking the law. If I see someone doing that I would definitely drop a dime on them.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/bonusbas.htm
REGULATIONS/CHANGES TO PROGRAM Under current striped bass recreational size limits set by the New Jersey Legislature (http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/), anglers can harvest two fish at 28 inches or greater per day. With a bonus permit, anglers can keep a third striper at 28 inches or greater. Visit the Marine section of the Regulations page (http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/njregs.htm#fishing) to check current Federal and State possession and season regulations for striped bass fishing in your area.

clamchucker
05-12-2011, 09:29 AM
Folks use all sorts of excuses to justify this. I have never done it and would never fish with anyone who did. Whether you get caught or not, it is wrong. It is greed like this that wiped out our striped bass in the first place, as finchaser stated.

seamonkey
05-13-2011, 09:48 AM
These are the NJ regulations Darkskies. If they are doing what you said they are breaking the law.

I think the law is the law. For example, the flounder regulations. I think the 2 flounder limit is stupid when the commercial guys can catch a lot more and smaller sizes, the same with fluke. If it is the law, though, we really should follow it. If I have to follow it I don't think it's fair that some dipwad thinks he is above that law, that's wrong.

captnemo
05-14-2011, 04:55 PM
Yes I know of people who do it, and some who brag about it. If I see it happening I will call it in to fish and game.

surfwalker
05-14-2011, 09:36 PM
The law is clear on the retaining of Bass. Naturally I would have to say something to the individual who is keeping more than allowed. If my words were ignored, then I would not hesitate to call some authorities to check an individual. On open beaches authorities are not around that much, but an area can be brought to their attention. Word will get around that they are checking people out. But on National Parks, the Rangers respond quickly once a call is made about questionable actions regarding size or over limit catches. I have seen people get their limit in the morning, go home, and come back at night and take another limit. I don’t know how you would stop that kinda crap.

My thoughts on people that do this is one of disgust. I don’t know if they just get a thrill outta doing something illegal or are just plain stupid. They don’t give a damn about the laws, why would they care about the Bass. The only way to really hurt them, when caught, is in the pocket. Stiff, stiff fines, confiscation of equipment and publicize the results. Make others aware that if caught, the court will bring tears to your eyes.

Some people are just never satisfied, they always want more than what they’re allowed. Screw ‘em.

Monty
05-14-2011, 11:15 PM
It disgusts me too. Fines and penalties need to exceed the crime. It is the only way to turn this trend in society that many feel they can not follow the rules/laws. This is true in fishing regulations and throughout our society in all areas. Society is running a muck. Disgusting. ....................time to head out and go fishing.