PDA

View Full Version : Recipes for 40+ lb bass

DarkSkies
06-05-2011, 12:11 PM
So with all the 40+lb bass being kept, I'm putting out a world-wide internet request for requests on how to cook these big slabs of meat.

Do you cook them like filet mignon?
Do ya dry them and cook them like baccala?

Catching spring bass when the water is very cold is a good thing as the bass meat is pristine and firmer in the cold water.

Catching a bass and bleeding it out right away by slitting the throat and tail would be fantastic idea, because bleeding it out gives you better tasting meat.

However, in all of the pics where guys are holding up the 30 and 40# bass, I have not run across one pic yet where the bass has it's neck slit and was bled out...

Why is this?
Can enyone shed some light?

Thanks for your help, folks, especially if you can find me some recipes to cook the biggest bass..... :cool:

jigfreak
06-05-2011, 01:39 PM
You mean those bass laying in the sun for 2 hours, no ice, then brought into the tackle shop to be weighed and possibly gutted and cleaned 6 hours or more after they were caught? Must taste like ***.

finchaser
06-05-2011, 07:18 PM
In most cases a dumpster,after the picture or video weigh in,the true tackle store hero

Simp
06-05-2011, 10:07 PM
+1,2 & 3!

clamchucker
06-06-2011, 10:55 AM
You are exactly right, dark skies. The biggest bass do not have the firm flesh and tasty flavor that smaller bass have. Most of the bass caught are not cut and bled right away because to a lot of folks every ounce of weight is important when they go to weigh it.