PDA

View Full Version : Facebook Fishing Reports....

plugginpete
10-25-2008, 11:21 AM
With the popularity of facebook I am seeing lots of crazy pics on fishing burning spots. Out at the lighthouse at montauk at night is one thing, but come on posting pics of 30 lb bass caught at debs, jones, or rm beaches and identifying the exact beach? You might as well hold the rod and reel it in for them too!
this can't be good. Where will it end? I don't think there are any moderators on facebook. I have a few spring bay spots that are small and secluded right next to residential areas. Too many people show up and it's game over.
What do you guys think can be done about it?

DarkSkies
06-10-2011, 06:42 PM
It's been brought to my attention that there are guys out there with some pretty specific facebook pages.

I'm not talking about the people who post their fish pics, videos, and pics of good times.
Nothing wrong with that.
Facebook has become another extension of our lives.

I'm not on it, just don't have the time for what could become another addictive use of my limited time. But I do see the value in it.

And there are many out there who use it for an extension of their business or social network.
I surely see the value in that. :thumbsup:

There's a member here, SharkHart, who has a facebook page, videos, pics, the whole 9 years. I haven't seen it because I'm not registered on Facebook. I've been told it's a great page, informative, and has some awesome video.,

Some other members here have them as well, some friends in other states document all their catches this way. It becomes sort of a fishing log for them. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.png

DarkSkies
06-10-2011, 06:50 PM
I was wondering about the following things, and issues, in no particular order.....

1. Facebook has no one who moderates fishing reports, so you can be as specific as you like. How is it that some guys are so specific that they list exact street addresses, when and where they caught fish? There's something about that level of specificity that just doesn't seem smart to me.

2. Sharing is caring...is it a good idea to share the jetty or beach where you are getting fish daily, with the whole anonymous world of facebook?

3. What happens when your specific reports, start bringing in crowds to places that really can't handle them? Who should bear responsibility for this?

4. What does it say about someone's self-esteem, that they have to put out daily reports showing exactly where they are catching fish? Do you not realize that these "facebook friends" are not your real friends? How many of them can you call at 3am when your Mom or Dad just died, or you need someone to talk to? How many of them will extend their hand of friendship outside the internet, if you are desperately in need of help with something you are working on?

I ask these questions not to start a fight or trouble with people.
As I mentioned, there are many productive and valuable uses of facebook, and it's a good tool for networking for some folks.

What I'm referring to is the small segment of folks who are bolstering their self-esteem by banging their own drum showing strangers exactly where to catch a fish without doing the work.

All opinions welcome, thanks, folks!

finchaser
06-10-2011, 09:06 PM
:don't know why:just more people who need the internet to catch a fish

jigfreak
06-10-2011, 11:03 PM
Different generation Dark. Mommy and Daddy gave them everything, half of them never had to work in the summer for minimum wage, and they all think the world revolves around them. You think face is bad you should check out twitter, 10 word blurbs about things that most of us would be embarassed to talk about. The young kids don't look at it that way. Everything is on the internet for the taking. Give away a fishing spot and Mary the HS cheerleader you had the hots for might come and bump uglies with you for one last time - NOT!

fishinmission78
06-10-2011, 11:33 PM
If thats the only way you can get attention you are a loser that even being on facebook can't help. Some nice chicks on there, though.:pig:

plugcrazy
06-15-2011, 08:03 AM
Ego, baby, ego.:wheeeee:

bababooey
06-16-2011, 03:22 PM
Give away a fishing spot and Mary the HS cheerleader you had the hots for might come and bump uglies with you for one last time - NOT!

You mean Mary the HS cheerleader won't meet me for a quickie if I tell her where the big bass are? All I have for her is big wood, I guess she's not interested. (And the HS cheerleader I had the hots for was named MaryJane, blonde, petite, perfect breastisis, and a petite butt to die for!) When she did her splits at the games, I would capture a mental pic. She became my fantasy material for the night time, ruined a lot of sheets over her.:pig: But I digress, we are talking about popularity here, and the kings and queens of facebook. How can I get to a place in time where I have 10,000 facebook friends? Does anyone on this site have over 1000 fb friends? Come on fess up!:ROFLMAO

storminsteve
06-16-2011, 11:05 PM
Bababooey I would give anything to be a fly on the wall during your high school years. You could make a sit-com out of it from some of the stories I have read here, lol.

dogfish
06-17-2011, 01:08 AM
. (And the HS cheerleader I had the hots for was named MaryJane, blonde, petite, perfect breastisis, and a petite butt to die for!) When she did her splits at the games, I would capture a mental pic. She became my fantasy material for the night time, ruined a lot of sheets over her.:pig:

TMI dude, and your post is useless without pics.:laugh:

dogfish
06-17-2011, 01:11 AM
BB, did she look anything like any of these tasty kakes?:drool:

jigfreak
06-17-2011, 10:05 AM
Would love to taste the frosting on all of them.

stripercrazy
06-17-2011, 01:43 PM
Thread of the week. More cheerleader pics, please.:heart:

DarkSkies
10-27-2011, 02:19 PM
I wanted to let this fade away, but apparently it won't..it's only gonna get worse thanks to these "Facebook Fruit Loops" and their incessant need to feel superior by posting where the fish are....

Here's the latest.... edited so as not to bring even more people up there....

[facebook guys talking freely...
.C**** ********
** report: Got em good. NOBODY on the beach, I had them all to myself. Working today so left around 11:30, stopped in the back, now I know where everyone was.... Report chasers, think ahead of the curve, dont be the top of the bell....

4 hours ago · LikeUnlike · 1 personLoading...

Reply by **** ****** ----
1. **** nice job , i was out front as well , between me and a friend got 7 up to 19#s all on sp minnows

Reply by **** *******----
2.Never made it there had fish at my first stop on the way. Went 3 for 5 on eels up to 30 inches
2 hours ago via mobile · LikeUnlike · 1 personLoading....

I'm posting the (edited) sections here to show that specific facebook reports can have an effect on the fishing and the enjoyment of all who fish in one area, because people tend to concentrate on the red X, as if that's the only place that will hold fish.

Facts:
1. There is now a night bite, finally.

2. The sandeels have moved in, and some of them are huge.

3. Because of this, you will have some decent fishing if you pay attention to bait, size of bait, and the structure. There is a lot of meaning in the sentence I just typed. Anyone who understands it will be able to get some nice fish. Those who don't, will rush to a spot named on the internet anyway, not paying attention to the key factors, and create a cluster eff of crossed lines and bad feelings among those who are there and want to do their best to catch some fish.

Let's face it, folks, we are all starving for fish this fall...despite what anyone says, this fall fishing from Montauk to NJ has been dismal so far. I've gotten fish to 25#, but had to work my a** off for every one. Losing sleep, walking around like a zombie in the daytime, and generally putting home repair tasks off, all for a chance at some bigger bass. And everytime I think I'm dialed into the pattern, it changes...

We accept that, and deal with it, because that's fishin, and the way it's supposed to be...at least it was in the era I grew up in....

The tool who wrote the report above considers us to be "friends". After today I think that will change, he may not like me too much anymore. (Boo hoo, I'l cry myself to sleep at night....:ROFLMAO).

Believe me, I'll have plenty more specific criticisms to say the next time I run into him on the beach....not that it would do much good here....

The guy above who made this report, and went into way more detail than I have edited..is famous for such internet phrases as...

"Spot burning is not an issue"
"Fish move, we can give locations freely because a report is only good the exact moment it is posted, after that the fish will be gone."

(I have news for you, genius, when sandeels are around, fish do NOT move, they set in for the duration...and leading them to a very specific spot that can hold 20-40 anglers comfortably, and gets insane after that number is reached, is not only irresponsible, but short sighted and incredibly stupid....:beatin:)

Furthermore, this "bright guy" has had the audacity to PM some members here when he didn't like their reports in the past, telling them.."a word to the wise"
It's wise not to bring hundreds of people to a spot that they will not be able to fish effectively, if hundreds of them show up.....those words are wise, too...;)

Added news, just came in....
Because of this genius, and others on facebook just like him, guys were streaming into 3 tackle shops in Ocean county preparing for road trips North...

What some of these folks don't realize is that these same fish are in the exact area they live in. The reason some of them are not catching is they are not paying precise enough attention to exact forage, structure, and feeding times....some of them have teen bass right under their noses and don't know...all it takes is opening the eyes and brain a little wider to understand that when sandeels are around, they will be evenly distributed in many areas where the water is clean.....:learn:

Lesson learned here...
If you're serious about your fishing, make sure you always have Plan B, C, and D in effect in case you get someplace that is over-run by crowds...

And be careful how much you brag about the fishing. If not, the next day you may share your space with the guy you told, and 500 of his closest friends and family....http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.png

OK, rant over...:cool:

jigfreak
10-27-2011, 03:37 PM
2. The sandeels have moved in, and some of them are huge.

Word, I snagged some that were 11" last night.

ledhead36
10-28-2011, 07:35 PM
When you post on facebook no one checks the story or edits you unless you are describing how to rob a bank,, and then maybe they would get involved. People should know this and decide how they want to share info based on that. Unfortunately there are people who want to be king of the fishing world there. You will always have that on facebook. All I want out of that site is to check up on some old friends and see what my old girlfriends are up to.:)

finchaser
10-29-2011, 12:40 PM
IMO people who post about what a great fisherman they are on Facebook are bigger losers than people who chase INTERNET fish and reports from the Fisherman magazine that are a week old.

surfstix1963
10-29-2011, 06:29 PM
I always wondered how many people actually realize the reports are a week old and their headed in the wrong direction when the the fish are probably right at their feet.Good one Bob

DarkSkies
03-06-2012, 09:14 AM
Pete, it's getting worse every year.

A newbie was out a few weeks ago, had some hot fishing on a rockpile.
Got some good numbers, was proud of his ability and his catching, so he filmed it...

Nothing wrong with that, right? :thumbsup: :fishing:

But, then, ho posted it on the internet,,,for the world to see...
Nothing wrong with that, either, right?
Absolutely not....

What he foolishly did, was turn the camera around more than once, to show the shoreline and the exact jetty he was fishing...

Question:
What's the big deal about that Dark, no one owns access in NJ, shouldn't we all have the right to fish wherever we want?
My Answer:
When you do something like that, showing the exact location, people may not know the reason you caught 27 fish was due to a special set of circumstances, blitz conditions, or an abnormal concentration of bait..

They see that video, and stream to that specific site...resulting in crowds...litter, guys pizzing on the property of private homeowners, and leaving fish racks in the garbage cans of private homeowners......http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon13.png

Eventually, behavior like this causes us to lose access, and we ALL suffer, for the ego-driven behavior of a selfish few....

DarkSkies
03-06-2012, 09:35 AM
I thougt this could be an appeal to the Go-Pro video camera fishermen out there.

I'm asking ya's, politely, to have a sense of reason when you're filming. :thumbsup:
I specifically don't include the yakkers in this, because I feel their videos are more like boating videos, it's harder IMO to burn spots if you're somewhere on the water that the fish move through...

But on the jetties, inlet pockets, and shorelines, there are places that fish hold for weeks at a time...

For anyone who wants to come back at me with that tired argument -
"Dark, get over yourself, fish move, there is no point complaining about spot burning because we all know that fish move from one spot to the next, and quite often"

My response to the above would be that the person uttering that mantra, doesn't have that much surf experience under their belt, or doesn't fish often enough to know how ludicrous that statement really is....:rolleyes:

Example - Monmouth Beach Rocks, Big Monmouth and Little Monmouth....
Now that they don't exist to be useful for fishing anymore, I can talk about them...these little and big jetties were scenes of some of the hottest fishing in NJ, for weeks at a time, for those of us who followed the patterns and kept quiet about it...

I'm not talking about blitz fishing, which was all a lot of self-proclaimed internet sharpies considered when they saw and learned about the fish that were there...but night after night of solid fishing, when I and guys who paid attention, would have consistent double digit catches, of quality fish, teen fish and bigger, up to 40#, on artificials, for weeks at a time.......

For those who want to think about passing along that tired old argument about fish moving,, I would ask you if you knew about this fishery we had, and is now probably gone until the storms uncover the structure again, years from now...think about the above paragraphs before you pass out the dogma on the internet that "fish move". :learn:

DarkSkies
03-06-2012, 09:47 AM
Appeal to the GoPro surf fishermen....

1. Please be considerate of others who fish there regularly.
2. Realize that if you are filming footage of fantastic action, there are those who will be motivated to visit that place regularly, for eternity, if you post it on the internet.
3. Realize that if we lose access in those areas, you are directly responsible for the role you played, by posting such videos on the internet.
4. Realize that the places we have to fish from the surf, are dwindling every year. For those not aware of how much access we have lost already, I will go into detail about "lost access" when I get back here and get some time to post again.

Look, people...
No one is against you having a good time out there..
Or catching lots of fish...that's one of the reasons why we're all out there :fishing:
Or sharing your stories with your friends, or strangers,

I get that... sharing fishing stories on the internet is part of the surf fishing experience these days, with many sites devoted to it, and Facebook recently coming into the forefront of many who surf fish.....it's inevitable that we want to share our experiences, or even in some cases, brag a little...I understand that whole dynamic..I get it.....

I also want you folks who are new to this game, to understand that we lose access every year because of selfish behavior....and behavior where you are filming specifically where you are...can contribute to that....

I'm trying to lay it out here, and explain it to ya's, as reasonably and diplomatically as possible, I hope those reading this can understand that,...http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.png

DarkSkies
03-06-2012, 10:05 AM
It's all the more important because no one is addressing this particular issue now...
For those who roll their eyes reading this..:rolleyes:.feel free to drink the "Hater-aide", eventually it will taste so bitter that ya might want to stop drinking it....:d

I have friends and people I know who are against this practice of Video spot burning on the internet...many are angry about it, but say "What can you do?"

I'm gonna try to post and some more thoughts in other threads and links to why Surf fishing Access is so important to me and some others....so stay tuned, folks....:HappyWave:

cowherder
03-06-2012, 10:28 AM
I also want you folks who are new to this game, to understand that we lose access every year because of selfish behavior....and behavior where you are filming specifically where you are...can contribute to that....

I'm trying to lay it out here, and explain it to ya's, as reasonably and diplomatically as possible, I hope those reading this can understand that,...http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.png

Thank you dark for speaking out. I have not seen any of the videos you are talking about but I have read your threads on access. I rememer that thread on the long island access there was a lot of controversy and eventally you guys won. Keep up the good work, fighting the good fight.:clapping::clapping:

fishinmission78
03-06-2012, 07:11 PM
That's admirable but don't you think it's like plugging a leak in a dike?
They were all over island beach this fall. Every few days I would see a new guy trying his gopro out. I bet I'm in some of them videos. And what about Tom Lynch, who took the famous photo of all the guys near the pocket. Would you define that as spot burning too?

storminsteve
03-07-2012, 08:19 AM
That's admirable but don't you think it's like plugging a leak in a dike?

I have to agree with fishinmission here dark. The crusade is a good idea if it's winnable.:clapping: With all the guys buying and using go-pros, you speaking out against the ones spot burning would seem to be an impossible task, no? I personally don't' thinkk what tom lynch did was spotburning because there are always a million guys there anyway. He was just documenting the madness.

clamchucker
03-08-2012, 09:08 AM
Dark Skies, we did not have these problems when I first started fishing. We caught fish at some areas and didn't catch in others. This was the prime reason that those of us who were successful kept log books. I have seen you and others here prompting the younger folks to do so. Keeping that log should be an essential tool of any surf man or fellow who fishes from a boat. They are equally important.

I have lived through some life changing advances in technology. I can remember going to the doctor and black and white pictures you would get from the xray machines.The size of the machines also. It was intimidating. Now you can go to the doctor and see brilliant color pictures of any part of your body and it is all computerized. Our society has advanced greatly with this newer technology.

Those cameras are not ones I am familiar with, but I have seen some of the younger folks wearing them.

I think as technology changes, we must adapt. We must also not be afraid to speak out when someone is doing something that is going to hurt others. I remember when we all used to catch weakfish by the garbage can full in the 1970s in Delaware Bay. None of us spoke out against it because we thought these fish were there in such numbers that they could never be depleted.

There was a time when I wanted to speak and warn friends of mine who were being greedy,and wasting a lot of fish.
I regret that when I did have a chance to speak up, I did not. I don't know if my disapproval of what I saw would have changed things but at least I would have felt better reporting to you today that I tried. I did not.

You seem to have the energy and determination I had when I was in my 20's and 30's. Many of us do not have that energy today. At my age you learn to conserve the energy you have and hope to live longer by doing so. We still fish but when you take into account how much of your day is taken away fighting for these causes, I wisely back out of most confrontations and only pick the important ones to support. You seem to me to be possessed of unlimited energy. Harness that energy for the good. Do not let anyone intimidate you if what you feel you are doing is right.

Speaking of shame, I feel that concept is absent from society today. The modern folks will do many things that we would have been ashamed of. They are not. I think the idea that someone is doing something that hurts the rights or enjoyment of others should be the subject of shame. Thank you for doing what you are doing and please continue to speak out for those of us who do not have the energy to do so any more.

hookset
03-04-2013, 01:30 PM
IMO people who post about what a great fisherman they are on Facebook are bigger losers than people who chase INTERNET fish and reports from the Fisherman magazine that are a week old.

:clapping::clapping: Couldn't of said it better myself finchaser. The guys who won spots 1-3 in the Absecon B&T first fish of the year have been fishing illegally all winter. They have been posting about it on facebook, even pics of their winnings. Total a-holes, call themselves the urban anglers. Hope I never run into them out front.

buckethead
03-04-2013, 01:44 PM

I always wondered how many people actually realize the reports are a week old and their headed in the wrong direction when the the fish are probably right at their feet.Good one Bob

X2. No one knows how to keep their mouth shut anymore. So you are catching bass at the outflow. Guys do it every year big deal. At least in the past they kept their mouths shut about it. What bothers me is their parents come on and congratulated them. Guess the parents don't know much about fishing that they have been doing it illegally. What happened to keeping things on the QT?

jigfreak
05-23-2013, 03:15 PM
X2. No one knows how to keep their mouth shut anymore. What happened to keeping things on the QT?

Everyone wants their 15 minutes of fame. Doesnt matter if they ruin it for the rest of us. You should see the level of posts in the last 3 days. If you were blind and crippled you could find those fish based on the reports. Idiots.

storminsteve
04-12-2014, 01:39 PM
We should start posting pics and faces of the burners. Call it the facebook burners! or the facebook turd burglars.

fishinmission78
04-12-2014, 01:56 PM
OK I realize I did post a negative comment before. After last nite I get it now. I'm down with that storminsteve. I'll post up soon. Something should be done to reign in these internet fags. DS if its not ok you can delete.

bababooey
04-12-2014, 03:16 PM
Someone burns a spot and he is a ***? Get real. If you don't own the land that someone is fishing on how can you be upset about spot burning. Spots belong to everyone and should be shared. my .02:HappyWave:

Monty
04-12-2014, 04:18 PM
OK I realize I did post a negative comment before. After last nite I get it now. I'm down with that storminsteve. I'll post up soon. Something should be done to reign in these internet fags. DS if its not ok you can delete.
I agree wit Storminsteve, something needs to be done, people don't realize they are screwing things up for others big time.

Someone burns a spot and he is a ***? Get real. If you don't own the land that someone is fishing on how can you be upset about spot burning. Spots belong to everyone and should be shared. my .02:HappyWave:

I agree with you about 75% of the time on stuff....not this time, :HappyWave:
Telling others where fish are being caught is a no-no, areas can't support the fishing pressure that the new breed of fisherman bring when they hear fish are at an area. First, mugging sucks, second people wreck the places, have no respect for anything. People should keep to them selves and enjoy the fishing.

Blazin420
04-12-2014, 06:35 PM
I agree wit Storminsteve, something needs to be done, people don't realize they are screwing things up for others big time.

I agree with you about 75% of the time on stuff....not this time, :HappyWave:
Telling others where fish are being caught is a no-no, areas can't support the fishing pressure that the new breed of fisherman bring when they hear fish are at an area. First, mugging sucks, second people wreck the places, have no respect for anything. People should keep to them selves and enjoy the fishing.

I agree 1000% Im so sick of it!! My biggest issue is people wreaking the place by making a GD mess PICK UP AFTER YOURSELVES PEOPLE!!!!!!!!! Its not that hard.. Top many places are a mness with crap..It happens every early spring and each we loose a little more access..Damn shame..I picked up a bag full of garbage last night..

finchaser
04-12-2014, 07:42 PM
that's why we keep loosing access homeowners and towns getting back at them

jigfreak
04-12-2014, 10:22 PM
I hate the new breed of fishermen and wish they would shut all fishing down. The dillys would then quit fishing along with the meat men who can't catch big fish unless they are on top of a bunker pod. Thin the herds I hope it all gets shut down so we can start again.
This was posted on the net. I feel for you guys up there but with the N Jetty screwed up and half the jetties gone the bays are going to be much more crowded this year. The rivers as well. And yet only 200 people showed up for the save the jetty rally at asbury park. I totally agree with this guy:

"Just got back from one of my RB spots. I knew it would be bad when I pulled into the lot and found 17 other cars there. This was a isolated spot that only a few knew about or would try. Thanks to the internet and report chasers, the beach was a picket fence of spiked rods and the small jetty was overrun like flies on a turd. I have been fishing here 27 years and there used to be only a hand full of guys that would fish this spot. Thanks to the internet now people travel many miles to fish here and every year the spot gets closed down due to the ignorant masses littering, being loud at 3:00 A.M. and pissing all over the place. If you have a spot that hasn't been burned [DONT BE STUPID] The ocean is a big place and there are a lot of fish, But access to the water[ especially productive spots] is being lost every day due to overcrowding and douch***s.
Jim
By the way, I didn't even bother to fish, I had planned on plugging one or two small areas of this spot, but with each angler having 4 or 5 rods out it wasn't worth trying."

dogfish
04-13-2014, 12:17 PM
You folks are way too lenient. Anyone who burns canal spots on facebook has gotten their tires slashed or buckets of chum spilled on their truck. Posting the pics of the offenders is a lot milder. The most humane way to do it. It's about time for people to take responsibility for their actions.

SharkHart
04-13-2014, 06:44 PM
This is a report but- I am in eight million feuds on Facebook fighting the good fight for guys who think land spots should be posted, nearly all these geniuses say Fish are totally random could be anywhere anytime, which totally makes zero sense why u should post a spot IF that were true, anyway I have a nice flats that has a pinch and a rip and every April full moon it seems to bring hundreds of Bass in with the extra current, last night didn't fail, had an epic type bite on plugs and plastics, mostly small but some were 24 to 29", was concerned about water temps but the fish were very aggressive and striking and fighting hard. Left them biting to see if they were at another spot because I am dumb but curious, have to know sometimes, spot B and C had no fish but they probably should this time of year, so we will shall see about the state of this run.

cowherder
04-14-2014, 09:58 AM
I hate the new breed of fishermen and wish they would shut all fishing down. The dillys would then quit fishing along with the meat men who can't catch big fish unless they are on top of a bunker pod. Thin the herds I hope it all gets shut down so we can start again.

You must have been fishing for a long time. I feel sad reading that but have talked so some of the old guys at sandy hook and other places who said that too. It's like guys only want to go fishing when they hear the bite is on. And when you talk about the meat men guys like johnny bucktails aren't even fishing now. What has fishing become that they'll only go out when someone tells them to?
I spent 7 hours fishing the other night for 2 stripers. The first 2 hours I got nothing and I wanted to catch so I went out and fished again till I got some hits and fish. I will probably try the ocean this week too even though most of the fish are being caught in the back bays. What happened to the spirit of adventure when you go out fishing? Half the fun is finding them.

buckethead
04-14-2014, 11:17 AM
This is a report but- I am in eight million feuds on Facebook fighting the good fight for guys who think land spots should be posted, nearly all these geniuses say Fish are totally random could be anywhere anytime, which totally makes zero sense why u should post a spot IF that were true,

If they only knew how good nj fishing used to be they might shut their mouths. I fished the ocean this morning and it was a shock to see how much structure we have lost. By the end of the summer it will be one flat featureless coastline except for the inlets and a few sand bars and cuts.

bababooey
11-11-2014, 10:17 AM
Good number of boats off Squan now. Anyone got the intel? What's the dilly-o?
Finchaser? Finchaser? Where's that intel chain hookup dark was promoting in your name? Would be nice if there was a phone app for the finchaser hotline.;):HappyWave:

SharkHart
11-11-2014, 12:54 PM
Guys are posting on Betty and nicks its nice bass, boats, they sounded charge for the beach guys but some reported back not in range. some boaters reported lie from Ortley

finchaser
11-11-2014, 05:50 PM
Ditto to both^^^^^^^they were lies fish were in 30'

B&N lied yesterday and today he hasn't weighed a fish in a week. read the head boat reports of how bad fishing is and they have all been between Lavallette and the seaside pier for the past 2 days

hookedonbass
11-18-2014, 12:28 PM
Yesterday I was fishing moco. Found some big blues in the rain. There were some young guns fishing at the beach I was at. One of them caught a striper about 30 inches. He immediately took out his cell phone and started taking pics of the fish and the beach we were at. He was also taking pics of the other surfcasters including me. When I asked me what the hell he was doing, he said:
"Oh dude no worries, these are for my facebook page!"
I said - hey you could have asked, maybe I don't want to be on a facebook page!
He said - no problemo, but if you want you could give me your facebook name and I will friend you.

What the hell is wrong with some of the young kids out there. I am young myself, not yet 30, but would never consider taking pics like that and immediately posting them on facebook. Now I know why when 200 guys show up for a blitz this is likely how it happens. :2flip:They are all cruising facebook every day for reports and run out when they see a pic.

By the way the dude said his name was Matt. I have his facebook ID if anyone wants it. Does anyone know this joker?

ledhead36
11-18-2014, 12:35 PM
Yesterday I was fishing moco. Found some big blues in the rain. There were some young guns fishing at the beach I was at. One of them caught a striper about 30 inches. He immediately took out his cell phone and started taking pics of the fish and the beach we were at. He was also taking pics of the other surfcasters including me. When I asked me what the hell he was doing, he said:
He said - no problemo, but if you want you could give me your facebook name and I will friend you.

What the hell is wrong with some of the young kids out there. I am young myself, not yet 30, but would never consider taking pics like that and immediately posting them on facebook. Now I know why when 200 guys show up for a blitz this is likely how it happens. :2flip:They are all cruising facebook every day for reports and run out when they see a pic.

By the way the dude said his name was Matt. I have his facebook ID if anyone wants it. Does anyone know this joker?

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon13.pngsounds like a real a-hole. I don't know why fellas do that either.

jigfreak
11-18-2014, 12:41 PM
Now I know why when 200 guys show up for a blitz this is likely how it happens. :2flip:They are all cruising facebook every day for reports and run out when they see a pic.

You got it thats exactly how it happens.
Yeah i know that guy.
His name is Matt Doucherbaggins:laugh:

Blazin420
11-18-2014, 12:55 PM
Yup i no of the guy also...He is a piece of work...All about the"look at me im a facebook fishing hero"..Him and his crew...They are all the same that young "my S*** dont stink" "i no everything about everything" attitude!!! Hey i dont consider myself old at 35 and dont wanna sound like a "old"man but these guys are annoying!I dont think even when i was younger did i ever have that attitude..But thats the way most younger dudes are now...really comes down to having no respect for anything..I see it all the time not just in fishing..They have no etiquette at all..Love to muscle there little crew into spots and then go post it all over FB...I personally have grown a deep HATE for FB lol..I havent ever taken it seriously but now i just hate it.. Haha ok rant over for me...Just glad im not the only 1 thinking it

finchaser
11-18-2014, 06:29 PM
Face Book fishing hero's SU_K

Monty
11-18-2014, 10:00 PM
He immediately took out his cell phone and started taking pics of the fish and the beach we were at. He was also taking pics of the other surfcasters including me. When I asked me what the hell he was doing, he said:

That is ridiculous.
The generation who grew up watching those stupid reality shows :don't know why:.

hookset
11-19-2014, 07:37 AM
^^^^^^^^ I guess everyone has to have their 15 minutes of fame.:kooky:
Which in turn ruins it for the rest of us. I like that name Matt dousherbaggins it's catchy.

SharkHart
11-19-2014, 09:06 AM
I know the guy and he isnt a bad guy at all, I had a discussion with him last fall about spot burning and he thought it was all BS he seems to have totally turned around on that
but what he doesnt realize or care is people watch him for activity, last i knew, last season anyway he didn't work, I have come across more then a few non working fisherman over the years who have mystery resources, and it puts you in a whole higher stratesphere for fishing success

VSdreams
11-20-2014, 06:00 AM
I know the guy and he isnt a bad guy at all, I had a discussion with him last fall about spot burning and he thought it was all BS he seems to have totally turned around on that
but what he doesnt realize or care is people watch him for activity, last i knew, last season anyway he didn't work, I have come across more then a few non working fisherman over the years who have mystery resources, and it puts you in a whole higher stratesphere for fishing success

Sharkhart I agree, but if the guy is still mugging people he hasnt learned anything. I think I ran into him and his crew in nomoco in June this year.

Yup i no of the guy also...He is a piece of work...All about the"look at me im a facebook fishing hero"..Him and his crew...They are all the same that young "my S*** dont stink" "i no everything about everything" attitude!!! Hey i dont consider myself old at 35 and dont wanna sound like a "old"man but these guys are annoying!I dont think even when i was younger did i ever have that attitude..But thats the way most younger dudes are now...really comes down to having no respect for anything..I see it all the time not just in fishing..They have no etiquette at all..Love to muscle there little crew into spots and then go post it all over FB...I personally have grown a deep HATE for FB lol..I havent ever taken it seriously but now i just hate it.. Haha ok rant over for me...Just glad im not the only 1 thinking it

^^^^Blazin I agree. When did fishing become so important that dudes will have to ruin it for others just so they get into the action? I don't know if this is the same guy but it sounds like it!

In June there was a week of big fish on the beach in nomoco. I took off work for 2 days and didn't get one fish despite running all over. The thing that was frustrating was these fish would come in for 15 minutes at a time and if you could cast a mile you might have a chance of getting one. On average I would say if 30 guys were fishing there might be one or two stripers caught. One of those days there were a lot of guys crowded on the beach casting. There was not a lot of room. This guy and his two friends came up between me and another guy. There was only about 8 feet between me and the other guy and one of them jumped in the line and started casting. Then when the guy next to me caught a nice 25 pounder and moved back to unhook his fish the other 2 jumped in. They did not even acknowledge him or me they just jumped in, mugged us and started casting. Of course they didn't catch fish the guy next to me caught one of only 4 fish that afternoon.

What gets to me is they had no manners. The guy they mugged got mad and left. I should have said something but didn't. As they were talking to each other (they would not talk to us) one of the guys called the other guy Matt. Don't know if it was the Matt you are all talking about but the way blazin420 described it it might have been? As they left the one named Matt got into a black car. Next time I WILL say something because it was so rude and elitist!

This is part of the problem out there the rudeness. I think if we all start saying something to these muggers it might make a difference.

Blazin420
11-20-2014, 07:43 AM
Yup VS sounds like you were "Doucherbaggined"...haha...Im sure he is an ok guy i have only talked to him maybe once or twice but his actions speak alot louder than his words! And his actions tell me he is a ******...

SharkHart
11-20-2014, 09:12 AM
I was never like this but some young dudes have trouble standing on their own they have to go out in packs of 5 or 6 or wont go on their own.

The problem spot I dont go to much but when I do I go 1.5 earlier when I think the bite will be on the tide turn, the ones you are talking about show up about a min before the key time and getting a spot doesn't even factor into their thinking.

I had taken a step or two back to undue a quick line cross and a guy stepped dead in front of me. Then I had guys grouping up to chit chat with their rods stretched out and if i hadnt seen that It would shattered both our rods, then when I say hey buddy you got to move, it makes me feel like im the bad guy.

hookedonbass
11-21-2014, 08:07 AM
I was never like this but some young dudes have trouble standing on their own they have to go out in packs of 5 or 6 or wont go on their own.

I don't understand that. I ask some of my buddies to fish and they never have time or want to go in the middle of the day. Or they say it's too cold or rainy. The fish don't care they are already wet!

surferman
11-21-2014, 08:17 AM
They only come out spring and fall blitz time. Most stay home when its freezing like it was last nite which is ok with me. And the rudeness and mugging -saw that in the other thread don't get me started. One of these days I'm going to take a dump on some of these muggers heads. That might learn them some manners.

I still catch because I know the cuts and troughs and re-scout after every storm. To catch more than one now you have to be on your game, not just on your cell phone.

Loved this! Truth spoken here.

jigfreak
12-06-2015, 12:48 PM
You guys who are not on facebook are missing out.
Some of the grains of precious facebook wisdom I have been reading recently, regarding fishing in NJ right now

"This is only the beginning! Heard there is a big body of fish coming from Montauk and they are on herring! When they get here it will be even better!"

"Wow this is truly epic! I fished all day, in the morning got into a 30 minute blitz and my friends and I got over 10 stripers apiece! Some of them were up to 27 inches. Awesome day out there get out there now!"
(so most of your fish were caught in a 30 minute window and thats epic to you? ROFL)

"I caught 22 stripers today but they were all shorts. Hope the big ones get here soon!"

"This fishing is lights out. Best fishing I have ever seen! I got 5 stripers and one blue today and left them biting!"

"Fished ortley and it was fantastic! Bent rods up and down the beach! The most awesome bite in my life!"
(Yeah if your life began 3 years ago, it truly would be)

And what is it with the photo opp guys posting instantly in realtime?
I caught 2 short bass in a row last night on 2 casts. The rest of the night I had to cast and cast to get fish, and did miss a few. Unfortunately when I got my biggest fish there were people around and I got mugged. Guy was on his cell phone telling his buddies as he came within range. Are you effing kidding me? Real time fishing reports blabbing to the world exactly when and where you got them with gps coordinates tagged into the photo. Unbelievable.

I told him, dude you have exactly 3 seconds to get the eff out of my face and step off or I'm shoving your cell phone up your A**. He moved away real quick after that. What is this world coming to that we are seeking glory from someone else's fish instead of seeking and hunting for our own? I just don't get it.

baitstealer
12-06-2015, 01:02 PM
I told him, dude you have exactly 3 seconds to get the eff out of my face and step off or I'm shoving your cell phone up your A**. He moved away real quick after that. What is this world coming to that we are seeking glory from someone else's fish instead of seeking and hunting for our own? I just don't get it.

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping: Quote of the week! Awesome report and response man. Fantastic to hear there is someone out there who puts rude intrusive people in their place. Kudos to you and congrats.

jigfreak
12-08-2015, 08:38 AM
Got to keep it real. Thanks.

fishgutz
12-08-2015, 09:16 AM
I don't understand why folks do that either. Like shooting yourself in the foot.

7deadlyplugs
12-08-2015, 09:19 AM
Agreed

SharkHart
12-08-2015, 11:25 AM
My rant of the day--My instict is to help a genuine person seeking help. So on B&n page guy inquires about if fishing in back bay is good now. I have been fishing it going and leaving the beach its dead this year just barren. So i say its dead i been fishing it but someone not fishing may come along and say its loaded...............within mins first someone says 50 lber caught there. Then another guy says its Good in the bay now..i am immediatly skeptical....i press him on it and i phrase it about first hand catces. He comes back vague with fish to teens and 20lbs...i say how many a trip are YOU getting......he says oh. I dont fish out back.......but he will send some poor guy back there for the skunk.

seamonkey
12-08-2015, 05:17 PM
So i say its dead i been fishing it but someone not fishing may come along and say its loaded...............within mins first someone says 50 lber caught there. Then another guy says its Good in the bay now..i am immediatly skeptical....i press him on it and i phrase it about first hand catces. He comes back vague with fish to teens and 20lbs...i say how many a trip are YOU getting......he says oh. I dont fish out back.......but he will send some poor guy back there for the skunk.

Classic definition of the intenet fisherman. Everything is based on what they heard.

stripermania
12-08-2015, 09:52 PM
The thing that seems to be a common thing now is guys sit at home. They wait for the reports to come pouring in then run out in full force. I only believe half of what I read. The new practice is to take reports you "heard" someone was catching and assume that's the rate of activity for everyone. Someone catches a 20 pounder. Everyone else is catching runts. You can better believe the facebook report will focus on the 20lbs when that might just be an anomaly. I would be interested to know how many 50pounders were caught in a spot. My guess would be not many. my .02

surfstix1963
12-09-2015, 06:44 AM
Chasing any fishing reports will never make you a good fishermen time in and that alone is how you become consistent at surfcasting.

cowherder
12-09-2015, 08:32 AM
Yeah and you have to throw some skunks in there too! The latest generation of kids out there is lazy! They want to get a job out of college and be president of the company in 6 months. They only want to work 40 hours a week tho. SMH

dogfish
12-09-2015, 09:33 AM
Chasing any fishing reports will never make you a good fishermen time in and that alone is how you become consistent at surfcasting.
Someone said this about teaching. I'll modify it for facebook times we live in.

Those who can find fish, find them and keep lips sealed.
Those who can't, chase reports on facebook.:viking:

VSdreams
12-10-2015, 08:14 AM
rofl

storminsteve
12-10-2015, 08:29 AM
You can trace part of it to the selfie revolution. Everything is me, me, me. Facebook and social media play into that. The bosses where I work hire a lot of interns for the summer. About one in 15 is actually any good and puts effort into it. They don't realize if they do well on the internship they will probably get offered a job when school is over. Still, they are generally lazy, on their phones texting every chance they get. They have no initiative. The one we usually hire stands above all the rest. So easy to understand and achieve, and yet the majority don't know what it takes to get ahead in this world. The blank generation.

CharlieTuna
12-10-2015, 10:38 AM
someone not fishing may come along and say its loaded...............within mins first someone says 50 lber caught there. Then another guy says its Good in the bay now..i am immediatly skeptical....i press him on it and i phrase it about first hand catces. He comes back vague with fish to teens and 20lbs...i say how many a trip are YOU getting......he says oh. I dont fish out back.......but he will send some poor guy back there for the skunk.

Compare that to the guys fishing montauk. NO information freely given. Secretive. Not sharing. My how things have changed. "They accepted me because they saw I was serious about fishing" That's what I remember when I lived in jersey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MeLQ-fubAA

seamonkey
12-10-2015, 10:57 AM
Charlie in the other thread you posted a doc muller vid. I searched on him and the next one on him talks about working to catch a big striper and how no one wants to do that any more. Check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QUDBObsbnc

nitestrikes
12-10-2015, 12:33 PM
It's old school vs new school.
old school- you knew anything good in life, came at a price. To succeed in life you had to work hard. Same thing for fishing the surf. Learn time, tides, bait, presentation. All that equated to time on the water. Some didn't have that time and thus hired guides like Bill Wetzel. You had to figure it out yourself or get some help by making friends who fished.

new school- comprised of a lot of younger anglers. As was sad they are less likely to work hard. By that I mean sweat and blood. For them everything is the internet. They buy clothes on the internet. Buy electronics. Even books and gadgets for their lives. It's natural for them to look for info about fishing on the internet. I think mistakes have been made when you talk about posting reports in real time. This spurs folks to run out there who may not have been fishing before, as sharkhart said. The element of "hard work" has been eliminated to a large extent.

fishinmission78
12-11-2015, 09:12 AM
within mins first someone says 50 lber caught there. Then another guy says its Good in the bay now..i am immediatly skeptical....i press him on it and i phrase it about first hand catces. He comes back vague with fish to teens and 20lbs...i say how many a trip are YOU getting......he says oh. I dont fish out back.......but he will send some poor guy back there for the skunk.

:clapping:You are on the money about this. People are so messed up in their statements. That 50lber was caught on a kayak by a guy in the middle of the night fishing eels. How many other 50lbers were caught. I agree with you. People who don't even live down here are suddenly experts on Barney bay and fishing in general. You want to know how you learn how the fishing is? You fish it! You don't get your info from the internet hearsay and post it as factual fishing reports. Leading people to fish even when they are not there. Idiots.

jigfreak
12-30-2015, 09:22 AM
i say how many a trip are YOU getting......he says oh. I dont fish out back.......but he will send some poor guy back there for the skunk.

I agree. This was posted online.
"If you have Facebook you'll know exactly where the fish are."
To me sounds exactly like a guy who can't find fish on his own and has to rely on social media to chase reports. I bet he doesn't even have a log.

jigfreak
03-01-2016, 11:36 PM
The reports are in on Facebook... already bass being caught... get out there cause facebook says so.. Let's go!
Just HAD to c&p. Found on another site today. I might have said it tongue in cheek but this dude was serious. What a turd burglar. SMH

ledhead36
03-02-2016, 07:42 AM
FB is so lame. Some people are on there 24 hours a day posting selfies. Who cares what you ate for breakfast or what diner you're hanging out at with your friends. In the old days there werent even fishing reports on the internet. We had to go out and make our own reports. Now people don't even want to do that anymore. Facebook is the voice of the lazy and entitled generation. So gay.

stripermania
03-04-2016, 01:05 PM
We had to go out and make our own reports. Now people don't even want to do that anymore. Facebook is the voice of the lazy and entitled generation. So gay.

I definitely agree about making your own reports. When I am putting in the time to scout an area I don't want to let all the free-riders and leeches glom off of my hard work. There are a few good fishermen on fb. They are the ones who used to post on the internet sites and got a lot of flak from people. So they stopped and started their own pages. There is a little of the look at me factor in there too I'll give you that.

dogfish
06-10-2016, 02:05 PM
Cell phones are just as bad. Not my words. However I am seeing this more and more lately and rarely fish the Canal because of it.
"I was out 3 weeks ago and into fish. Guy nearby- didn't know I was there because I snuck in under the blackness- after every fish texted or called his friends. After. Every. Fish.30 minutes later 5 guys showed...loud and also on cells."

finchaser
06-10-2016, 07:21 PM
facebook suc_s

buckethead
06-10-2016, 07:35 PM
A whole generation of fishermen is growing up not knowing what it's like to work hard to find fish. not learning the Jubilation of keeping a log and seeing that your predictions are right for the night or day you were out there. not learning how to analyze bait and bite patterns, and capitalizing on them when the fishing is good. just going on to Facebook and chasing reports. I am so glad I am an old fart and not part of that generation.

Monty
06-10-2016, 07:40 PM
A whole generation of fishermen is growing up not knowing what it's like to work hard to find fish. not learning the Jubilation of keeping a log and seeing that your predictions are right for the night or day you were out there. not learning how to analyze bait and bite patterns, and capitalizing on them when the fishing is good. just going on to Facebook and chasing reports. I am so glad I am an old fart and not part of that generation.

Me too.
Figuring it out on my own is the satisfaction, the rush.
Maybe they consider finding it on Facebook "the work"?

plugcrazy
06-12-2016, 08:53 AM
You guys are spot-on with your comments, I agree. seems the mindset of the fisherman has changed out there.
Why should I spend all night fishing for an elusive fish which I may or may not catch? I can just wake up at 9 a.m., plug in to Facebook, and find out where the hottest bite is for the day. I don't even have to get out or learn to read beach structure. I can just get in my SUV, drive down there, and be into fish. The amount of self-proclaimed experts on Facebook is staggering. someone has a good night or morning and catches 5 stripers. Someone else immediately chimes in and says "see! the stripers are in great shape!"

I'm not saying I'm the most intelligent guy out there either, but come on man learn something about the fish that you are trying to catch! In today's times, they really don't have to. All they have to do is follow facebook reports and become experts. My .02

VSdreams
06-23-2016, 11:04 AM
90% of Facebook fishermen -20329

surferman
06-23-2016, 12:30 PM
Haha love it so true!:thumbsup:

cowherder
10-19-2016, 09:03 AM
What I don't understand is the bad manners and attacking other people. I have seen a lot of people get slammed because they didn't ask a question the right way, or even if you catch a blue fish a lot of people on FB will say that's gross! What gives them the right to judge and speak so harshly to others. Keyboard Heroes for sure!

storminsteve
10-20-2016, 02:59 PM
Lots of that going on on FB. Bad manners galore. guys attacking and insulting each other. I remember one report where they harassed this poor little kid one time because he caught some bluegills in a local lake and brought them home to eat. there is no moderation, so it's like anything goes and people say whatever they want. SMH

basshunter
10-20-2016, 03:02 PM
My parents always told me if you have nothing nice to say about someone, then just keep your mouth shut and don't say it.

VSdreams
10-20-2016, 03:45 PM
Same guys that were bullies in high school are the same ones doing it on Facebook.

jigfreak
10-26-2016, 08:26 AM
Amen, and some of them have no life. They claim to be sharpies and cool kids, but they are constantly asking others for advice. Yeah you're a sharpie, right.:boring:

storminsteve
10-26-2016, 10:00 AM
^^^^x2, where is the like button for this post!

cowherder
01-18-2017, 02:42 PM
This pic says it all.

seamonkey
01-18-2017, 03:00 PM
Truth

stormchaser
01-19-2017, 11:47 AM
Excellent photo. It says a lot.

buckethead
02-06-2017, 09:36 AM
Things have changed so much since I fished as a young kid.

fishgutz
04-12-2017, 01:55 PM
Most of the facebook reports I have seen are guys who are just starting out. Why would you be so desperate that you would tell everybody else where you are catching, if you are good at it?

finchaser
04-12-2017, 07:36 PM
:beatin:Egotistical JO chest pounders most likely members of the cell phone mafia

storminsteve
04-16-2017, 11:35 AM
Agree with most of them its "look at me look at me I got a baby striper and now the world knows I can catch a fish! I am special" Some of the way these guys post I don't think Mommy breast fed them enough.

storminsteve
04-16-2017, 11:37 AM
Cell phone mafia very catchy someone should come up with a meme for that.

DarkSkies
05-26-2017, 08:28 PM
I have purposely avoided commenting in this thread because I have some very strong opinions, that might not be popular. I have seen our fishing access slowly shrinking......not just from towns enacting parking ordinances, but by fishermen thinking they have the right to brag in real time about fishing, even when adjacent to private property.

I have been asked to put a reminder out there.....that when you post on Facebook and other social media....you are not as anonymous as you think.......NJ's and other state DFG, DEC, DFW, etc, are now monitoring social media......in some cases developing intel as to who are the worst offenders RE: fishing and wildlife violations.....and making cases based on folks' boisterous bragging and pic posting on social media.......

.Think what you want....but just as things are moving to social media....with seeming lack of enforcement.....and some of the terrible behavior that goes on........the enforcement agencies are stepping up their game as well.

Look for more enforcement and cases to be made in the future. Be advised accordingly. :learn:

rockhopper
06-01-2017, 10:52 AM
^^^^^ Def agree I see so many pics of overlimits posted on fb nowadays. Hope they all get fines.

hookset
09-14-2017, 11:02 AM
The stupidity has reached new levels. This was posted today on a local FB page.
" Fxxx the hater out there. When I have time to hit the beach I will contribute and do more spot burn."

basshunter
09-14-2017, 02:21 PM
Posted about spot burning - very sensible comment:

The issue is it is a very small spot and access can be taken away very easily. Every year more people show up, which is fine, except a lot of them are not respectful. They are loud all night long, leave garbage, cut bait and fish all over the place...