PDA

View Full Version : Bluefish tackle

xtreme_visions
06-11-2011, 03:49 PM
Looking to go out on monday for some blues and could really use some advice on the must have's for fishing them as i am new to all this. Would really like to try a few things other then live bait.

nitestrikes
06-11-2011, 05:13 PM
Will you be on a boat? If so beef up on diamond jigs. 2-6 oz. Drop them down, jig a bit, and if the fish are there you will know it. The bluefish are either chasing big bunker or small bait right now, so if you are fishing deep water jigs are the way to go. A lot of guys use the big 4-6 oz krokodile or gator spoons too, and some prefer gold over chrome. I like to keep it simple, the diamond jigs are good producers and relatively cheap. Good luck, let us know how you do.

xtreme_visions
06-11-2011, 05:21 PM
We might go on a party boat if we can find 1 going out for blues and not fluke..otherwise we will hit a few spots from the surf

jigfreak
06-11-2011, 05:39 PM
What nitestrikes said. Diamond jigs are good because of the single hook. When you are in a bluefish massacre in the mud hole or the farms, you dont want to waste time with trebles. That's why single hooks rule. But you will need big jigs because of the currrent and the need to get down deep. From the surf they are feeding on rainfish and spearing. Only use the smallest jigs, either 1 oz or less if you can get away with it because that is the exact bait profile. If the surf is rough, like with the E/NE we had to day you will have to ramp up the weight or it will get washed out of the strike zone too quick. With rough surf I throw A-17 to A-47 depending on the swell and how fast the sweep is.

Monty
06-11-2011, 09:10 PM
If you end up on a beach I like throwing poppers.
A Superstrike popper in green is my favorite, 2 3/8 oz.
Like jigfreak said, small bait is along a lot of the jersey shore, I still like throwing that popper (it will also pick up a bass or two if you are in the right spot).
I fish teasers a lot, this past week the popper got a few blues and the teaser also (in front of the popper).
Popper gets the attention, blue sees the teaser and game on:wheeeee:........or teaser lost:huh:.
Also make sure you have a good pair of pliers for removing hooks (very important).
As mentioned single hook on the rear.
Here is a pic of a polaris style popper (similar to the Superstrike that are lexan I believe (not wood like this puppy).
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?7748-Don-t-let-Speedy-see-this.....

gjb1969
06-12-2011, 01:30 AM
the golden eagle is going out for blues

xtreme_visions
06-12-2011, 08:01 AM
Thanks g! I checked there site out..looks like we might be jumping on board mon morning if the weather is nice.