PDA

View Full Version : SH,MB,LB to be covered in sand

finchaser
07-07-2011, 09:22 AM
The US Corp of Engineers(morons) and local officials have announced that 7.5 million dollars has been awarded to New Jersey for beach replenishment along northern Monmouth County beaches. Dan Radel of the Asbury Park Press reported that those funds in addition to an already 2.5 million in Federal Funds and 5 million from New Jersey will go towards the project. The target areas are from Sandy Hook to north Long Branch. For those that remember, West End and Pier Village were "replenished" a few years ago. Work will begin this September and start along Monmouth Beach, just in time for the fall run. Sand will be pumped from offshore and spread along the work area beaches.

DarkSkies
07-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Thanks Fin.

I sometimes call Finchaser the Old Grouchy Basstard, or OGB. :mad:
I also call him "Doom and Gloom". :laugh: Can't take credit for the phrase, it was coined by Killie. :ROFLMAO

These phrases were invented because he's often bringing us bad news....why is he doing that?...because he remembers the fishing the way it used to be, and how good it was. He sees the deterioration, or potential deterioration, and can't help but do the projections in his head. The potential, though it may not be clear to others, is crystal-clear to him. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.png And that's what gets him riled up. These things all have the potential to ruin our fishing.

Add these to the list of areas that will be declining in the Coastwide Stock Assessment I am doing.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?7784-StripersandAnglers-yearly-coastwide-fish-stock-assessment-state-of-the-fishery.

It's a no-brainer that after they do this the fishing in those areas will decline substantially. Changes in beach structure can kill productive water. That's already happened to some extent at Sandy Hook, and those who fish it regularly can attest to that.

It will affect the fishing in Monmouth Beach and Long Branch. Straightening out a curved shoreline has contributed to poor fishing in the past.

Anyone who is old enough to remember, think of Sea Bright before they filled in the beaches there. Some of the best fishing in NJ was off the old wall. If you aren't old enough to remember it, I'll clue ya in a bit...ask any old timer about the herring runs and fishing herring off the Sea Bright wall, and you will hear stories of big Spring bass that will pop your eyes out! :bigeyes:

Fall fishing there was golden as well, regardless of bait, because it was structure. Now, any good fishing in that area is solely dependent on sand eels and small forage. Absent that, Sea Bright has a mere spectre of the fish it once held.

The same will happen in the towns above mentioned by Fin. Thanks for the "Gloom and Doom" report, Fin! :kooky: http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png :HappyWave:

ledhead36
07-07-2011, 05:03 PM
He sees the deterioration, or potential deterioration, and can't help but do the projections in his head. The potential, though it may not be clear to others, is crystal-clear to him. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.png And that's what gets him riled up. These things all have the potential to ruin our fishing.

I wouldn't call that gloom and doom, Dark, more like the voice of experience from a wise old salt. I was a kid when they used to get fish from the sea bright wall. I didn't fish there too much but remember the stories when I used to go into the old Giglios in SB with my Dad. Now all of that is gone, and we are losing good beaches, one by one.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon13.pngThat's gonna suck, say bye bye to the spring blitzes and fall sandeel fishing. Too bad there is no way to stop this.

jigfreak
07-07-2011, 05:07 PM
Army Corps of Engineers, what else can they ef up? I'm so angry I'm seeing red. Might as well shut the whole NJ coast down to fishing and put condos on all the sand the way this is going.:2flip:

finchaser
07-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Army Corps of Engineers, what else can they ef up? I'm so angry I'm seeing red. Might as well shut the whole NJ coast down to fishing and put condos on all the sand the way this is going.:2flip:

they're trying to

storminsteve
07-08-2011, 11:33 AM
Time to move to Montauk?:)

porgy75
07-08-2011, 12:06 PM
There goes the neighborhood!

DarkSkies
10-12-2011, 08:37 AM
The latest update, sent in by Fin, thanks.

http://www.app.com/article/20110930/NJNEWS/309300068/Army-Corps-awards-16-7M-contract-Long-Beach-Twp-beach-replenishment

LONG BEACH TOWNSHIP — The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has awarded a contract to an Illinois-based dredging company for the next phase of the Long Beach Island beach replenishment project.
The contract, which is for a 26-block stretch of beach in the Brant Beach section, was awarded to the Great Lakes Dredge and Dock Company of Oak Brook, Ill., late Thursday, Army Corps officials said.
The base contract calls for the placement of 1.2 million cubic yards of sand, along with the construction of dune cross-overs, sand fencing and dune grass plantings, from 31st Street south to 57th Street at a cost of $16.7 million, said Stephen Rochette, a spokesman for the Army Corps.
If additional contract options are awarded, the total contract could be $17.9 million and include another 175,000 cubic yards of sand.
Mayor Joseph Mancini said the sand is a long time coming for the township’s battered beaches.
“I’m ecstatic,” Mancini said. “One of the reasons I ran for office was to see this project through. I could not be happier.”
Great Lakes Dredge and Dock Company did a 4.8-mile beach replenishment in Monmouth County approximately 15 years ago. The company has also done work on projects in Florida, Maryland, New York and Ghana.
In March, the Army Corps allocated $7.6 million to help cover the cost of the project.
The aim of the beach replenishment project is to increase the size of the beach and dunes in each of the towns on the barrier island, except Barnegat Light, which chose not to take part because officials felt their beaches did not need work. Harvey Cedars and Surf City are the only two municipalities to have the work completed.
No firm start date has been set for the Long Beach Township work, Rochette said.
“At this time the Corps does not have a firm construction starting date, but will be working with the company to develop the schedule in the coming weeks,” Rochette said. “However, the contract currently has a required completion date of no later than June 15. Once started, it is estimated that work could take approximately 90 days.”

DarkSkies
10-12-2011, 08:42 AM
Jenks beach might have to build up dunes, sent in by Fin, thanks.

http://brick.patch.com/articles/point-beach-jenks-might-have-to-build-up-dunes

DarkSkies
01-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Sent in by Fin, thanks!
(Remember the Indian crying in the commercial? Well, MB is slowly getting snuffed out from the surfcasters dream location list)

cowherder
01-13-2012, 09:58 AM
Pretty soon the beach will extend out to the Shrewsbury Rocks!

vpass
01-13-2012, 01:04 PM
Mother nature won't stand for this. She will correct it sooner or later!!! Maybe she remove those house that the Man are trying to protect.

surferman
01-13-2012, 06:52 PM
You guys have no idea how bad it will be for the fishing. It ruined miles and miles of South Jersey.http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon8.png

skinner
06-30-2012, 10:42 AM
the fish that used to come off that beach at night. Even if you didn't feel like strappiing on korkers, you could still pick up 5 or 10 in a quick trio. such a shame.

DarkSkies
10-28-2012, 10:39 AM
The US Corp of Engineers(morons) and local officials have announced that 7.5 million dollars has been awarded to New Jersey for beach replenishment along northern Monmouth County beaches. Dan Radel of the Asbury Park Press reported that those funds in addition to an already 2.5 million in Federal Funds and 5 million from New Jersey will go towards the project. The target areas are from Sandy Hook to north Long Branch. For those that remember, West End and Pier Village were "replenished" a few years ago. Work will begin this September and start along Monmouth Beach, just in time for the fall run. Sand will be pumped from offshore and spread along the work area beaches.

Mother nature won't stand for this. She will correct it sooner or later!!!

:thumbsup: You two really nailed it on the futility of this one...the rocks are coming back.

baitstealer
11-22-2012, 05:05 PM
Not for long, check this out -

Dune size determined extent of storm damage on NJ beaches

By MaryAnn Spoto/The Star-Ledger

MONMOUTH BEACH — Just three weeks after Hurricane Sandy ripped apart the Jersey Shore, a beach replenishment project is getting under way in Monmouth Beach.

The beach project had been planned before the storm hit, but state and local officials say the hurricane proved in a very urgent way the need for these efforts to continue.

The Army Corps of Engineers has spent the weeks after Hurricane Sandy examining dunes up and down the Shore to see what they can learn from their engineering projects.

One thing everyone agrees on: Where the dunes were high and wide, there was little if any damage to the homes and businesses behind them. The most destruction, they said, came to the towns with low, narrow dunes.

"If you look at the towns that have had engineered beaches, up and down the state, those are the towns whose damage was minimal," Gov. Chris Christie said during a visit to Monmouth County last week. "Other towns that didn’t, the damage was much greater. I think that’s a lesson for us as we move forward."

Stewart Farrell, director of the Coastal Research Center at the Richard Stockton College of New Jersey, has studied the state’s dunes for more than two decades. After Sandy, he dispatched three teams from the center to inspect dunes at all of its 105 study sites.

Although state Department of Environmental Protection Commissioner Bob Martin said Army Corps-built beaches held up the best against Sandy’s storm surge, Farrell said those aren’t the only beaches that fared well. In Barnegat Light, for example, where the dunes have grown by accretion, there are no signs of a hurricane. Farrell said that’s because with the design of the walls of the Barnegat Inlet, sand becomes trapped on those beaches and had naturally built dunes some 2,400 feet wide. For comparison, the Army Corps builds dunes 150 feet wide.

By contrast, the Ortley Beach section of Toms River had the lowest and thinnest dunes — 10 to 12 feet high and less than 50 feet wide — and it sustained the most damage on the coast, Farrell said.

In Mantoloking, where three inlets were cut and many of the 147 oceanfront homes have been destroyed or seriously damaged, town officials had let the dunes grow naturally, with the largest at 22 to 23 feet high and 100 feet wide, Farrell said. The homes that were decimated were behind dunes at least half that size, Farrell said. The houses behind the highest dunes had little or no damage.

"Where the skimpiest dunes were, that’s where the inlet formed," he said.

New Jersey has 127 miles of beaches, and the highest percentage of rebuilt coastline in the nation. More than half of the 97 miles of developed coastline has been rebuilt either by the state or the federal government.

And a large portion of the work has been done in Monmouth County, which is home to the the world’s largest beach replenishment project — a $250 million effort that has pumped 20 million cubic yards of sand onto the beaches. All Monmouth County beaches except Allenhurst, Loch Arbour, Deal and the Elberon section of Long Branch have been replenished, Farrell said.

Sand dunes didn’t provide the only protection from the storm. Buildings behind sea walls did very well, depending on how well the walls were constructed. Farrell said the best sea walls use only boulders, which deflect wave action. For aesthetic reasons, some towns pour concrete over the boulders, rendering the walls much less effective against waves, he said.

But sea walls aren’t practical financially. Beach replenishment costs about $10 million per mile of oceanfront, whereas sea walls would cost many more times that, Farrell said.

Army Corps project manager Dan Falt said the Monmouth Beach project, which had been awarded at the end of September, is still on schedule, most likely to begin tomorrow . Because the southern portion of the borough’s beaches had been replenished last year, the $9 million project will cover the northern beaches and possibly extend into Sea Bright, he said.

It’s up to the state and the federal government now to decide what beaches are next — and how the work will be funded.

"I can only imagine we will have more projects coming up," Falt said. "Our work’s cut out for us."

"The tension’s building," he said. "Some people are about to snap."

hookset
11-22-2012, 05:12 PM
That is so stupid it's called job security. The beaches look the best they have ever looked. Instead of filling in the beaches they should make high sea walls like they have all along monmouth beach. I believe they are the highest in monmouth county. That could work.

Monty
11-22-2012, 06:03 PM
That is so stupid it's called job security. The beaches look the best they have ever looked. Instead of filling in the beaches they should make high sea walls like they have all along monmouth beach. I believe they are the highest in monmouth county. That could work.

I think the walls are a good idea.

surferman
11-24-2012, 06:05 AM
At leasst they are proactive in monmouth beach and know that sea walls are needed. In LBI the residents don't want to agree to sign easements to put the dunes back. This despite the fact that the bottom half of the island got destroyed. And that is where the dunes were smaller.
http://barnegat-manahawkin.patch.com/articles/cleanup-efforts-on-island-houses-present-challenges

DarkSkies
12-01-2012, 07:22 PM
One of our members was kind enough to send me a pic of what the old Monmouth Wall looked like, in the 1980's....thanks....:HappyWave:
Notice how the sea came right up to the edge of the wall....lots of good fishing back then.....

jigfreak
12-02-2012, 11:39 AM
Those were the days ds. Fish in the high 20's, a dozen a night, eels, plugs, etc, it was a lot easier then. They really effed it up with the beach replenishment. Good times, good memories. Thanks for the picture.

storminsteve
12-03-2012, 07:25 PM
You should see the beach replenishment they are doing now. At night, it looks like they are setting up a show for the war of the worlds. There is a crane platform that is about 3 stories high, pretty cool.

buckethead
09-07-2013, 03:22 PM

Thanks Fin.

I sometimes call Finchaser the Old Grouchy Basstard, or OGB. :mad:
I also call him "Doom and Gloom". :laugh: Can't take credit for the phrase, it was coined by Killie. :ROFLMAO

These phrases were invented because he's often bringing us bad news....why is he doing that?...because he remembers the fishing the way it used to be, and how good it was. He sees the deterioration, or potential deterioration, and can't help but do the projections in his head. The potential, though it may not be clear to others, is crystal-clear to him. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.png And that's what gets him riled up. These things all have the potential to ruin our fishing.

Fall fishing there was golden as well, regardless of bait, because it was structure. Now, any good fishing in that area is solely dependent on sand eels and small forage. Absent that, Sea Bright has a mere spectre of the fish it once held.

The same will happen in the towns above mentioned by Fin. Thanks for the "Gloom and Doom" report, Fin! :kooky: http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png :HappyWave:

Exactly, this is the worst thing that could happen to surf fishing in Monmouth County. It appears that the finchaser predictions are coming true. The latest pic of the Monmouth county beaches a la NJ Surfer.
Look how wide the beach has gotten. By the end of the fall all of the great cuts and jetties will be gone.

finchaser
09-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Ocean county next, going all the way to Manasquan inlet. Deal will not be covered because they do not want to grant public access. Rumor has it all streets will become no parking to stop the snag and drop guy's who show no respect for any one or any thing

hookset
09-21-2013, 01:08 PM
Photo of the dredger