PDA

View Full Version : fishing for threshers?

porgy75
07-18-2011, 03:08 PM
I have read some of the reports out there, and in awe of the capts doing this.
How big can these creatures get?
What do you generally use for bait, bunker?
What if they whip you with their tail?
Some guys were talking about targeting them by kayak, how dangerous is that?:scared:

storminsteve
07-18-2011, 11:43 PM
My uncle was out of fire island inlet, got one last week about 290 lbs. He showed me some pics. They got it by snagging and dropping bunker. I would definitely like to get in on some action with one, but never on a kayak. Those tails can whip you into the water if you're not careful.

surfstix1963
07-19-2011, 07:56 AM
They usually feed on schooling fish and squid they use their tail to beat the water to get the school to form a tighter ball and then use it to stun the school and feed on the wounded fish(thus their nickname whiptail) their tail is generally 1/2 of the body length of the shark they usually grow up 18 ft. which would be approx. a 9 ft. tail and if they whack you with it theres a good chance you will be seriously injured or killed they are feeding on bunker schools one was just caught off of Rockaway Beach in 40 ft. of water the shark weighed in at 530lbs.

finchaser
07-19-2011, 09:07 AM
They show in shore when the bunker schools arrive they are gone now,the way they slap there tails a large one could take out a kayak. But then again most kayakers haven't a clue, they think they are in large boats. Google deaths in a kayak, plus rumor has it big brother is thinking of making there use illegal in the ocean.