PDA

View Full Version : set up for tuna

buckethead
07-25-2011, 08:32 PM
I have been seriously thinking about buying a set up for tuna fishing. Can anyone give me some ideas as to what to get?

finchaser
07-25-2011, 08:49 PM
for head ,or private boat
for jigging or chunking
for trolling
for braid or mono

buckethead
08-04-2011, 03:47 PM
finchaser thanks for your question. I know they rent them on the boats, was thinking about taking one of the party boats in Sept out of Cape May. I feel the boat rod may not be the greatest for the chunk bite. I wanted to have my own rod and reel just in case I get there and don't like theirs. Might like to jig with it too, and going after the 50lb yft and bfts that are around.

Looking to spend around $450 for both. Do you think it's do-able at that price range? thank you

buckethead
08-04-2011, 08:08 PM
These are some of the ones I was looking at today finchaser. Any opinions on what you would buy if you had these choices? thank you

BRAND NEW!! Gold Avet LX 6.0 w/ 80lb Diawa colored braid on Star Stellar Lite Jigging rod 5'9" XX Heavy NEVER SEEN WATER~~~$450

BRAND NEW!! Gold Avet MX w/ 55lb Diawa colored braid on Star Stellar Lite Jigging rod 5'9" X Heavy NEVER SEEN WATER~~~$400

Penn GLD30 w/ Momoi 40lb on Diawa Sealine 5'6" Stand up. Used for tuna and sharking, great condtion~~~$225

Shimano TLD25 (Tiburon T handle) w/ 65lb Power Pro on Diawa Sealine 5'6" Stand up. Also used for tuna and sharking~~~$225.

Both Stand Up combos have been very well taken care of and the Jigging combos have never seen water.

finchaser
08-04-2011, 09:06 PM
I'm not an Avet fan plus allot of the old styles that had binding issues are being discounted all over the place. Where are you located my friend has a surf shop with a large consignment section he has lots of TLD 30 two speeds with rods in the $200 range. Jigging out fits you have to be careful many head boats don't allow braid so you have to jig larger reels with mono . The 30 2 speed does it all and the low speed is great for big fish that hit down deep some times as much as 200 to 300 feet down. the TLD 25 doesn't have enough drag for the canyon.

DarkSkies
08-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Buckethead, Fin was referring to Joe Melillo of Castaways B&T.

if you get a chance you should stop in Castaways B&T in Point Pleasant before you make any decisions. :thumbsup: Joe Melillo has a booming consignment business and gets new rods and reels in every week. all at reasonable prices.. In many cases cheaper than you will find them on e-bay. And at least at Joe's shop, you can handle the reel and check things out for any possible flaws.

Great prices, great deals...Castaways...just over the Canal bridge
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?5299-NJ-small-business-spotlight-November-2009-Castaways-Bait-amp-Tackle-Point-Pleasant&highlight=castaways

finchaser
08-06-2011, 11:39 PM
I have a brand new in the box Penn international 16VSX I'll let you have it for $350 they retail fror $499

Eltimate all around tuna reel,28# drag great for braid up 80 pound. I have 400 yards of 80# braid and a top shot of 100 of 60# mono on mine. Great head or private boat reel for chunking or jigging just pick up a 30 to 80 standup rod 6' long and your ready to catch anything in the canyon. Ill even throw in a few $15 to $18 butter fly jigs to get you started let me know ASAP

buckethead
08-11-2011, 05:51 PM
dark and finchaser, I plan on going in Sept. Have been busy so I missed this thread, but thanks for all the advice.