PDA

View Full Version : Do you think before you buy?

stripermania
07-29-2011, 10:25 PM
How many of you give some thought or carefully look at the packaging before you buy your fishing tackle? Do you make sure it is made in the USA? We were talking today about cars. One of the guys told us how he wanted to purchase an american made car. He ended up with a Dodge. After the purchase he found out that the parts were made in canada and put together in Mexico.

There is a lot of tackle out their guys buy AMERICAN MADE. :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
07-30-2011, 02:57 PM
Stripermania, I don't mean to criticize or put a hole in your premise, but the sad fact today is that much of our gear is made overseas.

VS and Zeebass, some of the last vestiges of quality "American made" fishing gear, are now made in China, and have been for some time.

There are many more like this.

Fortunately, there are still a few examples of gear and tackle that are made in the US.

Sekora lures, started by Capt John Sekora, now run by his family, USA made products.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?5551-LI-plug-and-tackle-manufacturers-back-in-time....
(Surfstix still has one of the original bumper stickers, what a piece of fishing history that is. :cool:)

I'm sure there are a few others, but as I said, it is less common with each passing year.
If you guys can find some pics or links of American-made tackle and gear, feel free to post up, thanks.

And Stripermania made a good point here. With many of the tackle shops now operating almost exclusively on the internet, why not take and opportunity to stop in your local tackle shop the next time you're out on a trip? Buy some stuff from them, even if only a few items. In return you'll be patronizing an American business and helping local people who may be having trouble paying their bills. :thumbsup:

Monty
07-31-2011, 09:07 PM
Buying American is not high on my list of qualifications of a purchase.
Sometimes comes into play, but not often.
That said.... I like St Croix rods, think they are US made.
But, there is not a US reel made that compares to the Van Staal which I use.
Looking at my fishing stuff, most is American made. But most has been bought on what I perceived as quality, usefulness, reliability and value. If it says American made, I may give it a second look vs something not American made.
I do spend a lot at local tackle shops :kooky:

finchaser
08-01-2011, 09:08 AM
Buying American is a joke most of the time take reels, as long as 51% of the parts are from the US they can say Made in the USA
Keven Bogan advertises his rods as made in the USA they are built here from all cheap Chinese materials and you get a free American flag decal on the rod

Any American made rod that utilizing Fuji Guides and Reel seat(from Japan) are assembled here from all quality products.

The only major american made rod blanks to the best of my knowledge are Calstar and Seeker. Lami and St Croix just the high end.

When I want a quality reel I look for made in Japan examples the older Saltiga's,Stella,Talica's and Torsa. Saltiga spinning now Malaysia ,Sustain now Malaysia

Take the US Reel company they have never made a US product the US means they are here in the US.

IMO when it comes to tackle there are many issues when US is mentioned it's getting down to sold in the US everything else is done with smoke and mirrors to deceive. Buyer beware

Masardinas
08-22-2011, 12:00 PM
I Buy American when I can :)

-Sardinas

Masardinas
08-22-2011, 12:06 PM

And Stripermania made a good point here. With many of the tackle shops now operating almost exclusively on the internet, why not take and opportunity to stop in your local tackle shop the next time you're out on a trip? Buy some stuff from them, even if only a few items. In return you'll be patronizing an American business and helping local people who may be having trouble paying their bills. :thumbsup:

This is something Ive done now for the past few years - makes me happy ( new stuff ) and keep local busniess happy as well :)

surfstix1963
08-22-2011, 01:23 PM
I think seeker rods are still made in USA.