PDA

View Full Version : NJ fishing reports for August 2011...www.Stripersandanglers.com

DarkSkies
07-30-2011, 09:25 PM
NJ fishing reports for August 2011. ..www.StripersandAnglers.com (http://www.stripersandanglers.com/)

NJ fishing reports for August 2011...www.stripersandanglers.com (http://www.stripersandanglers.com/)
Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING! Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED!
Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
Out Front (Ocean) OR -- Out Back (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. If you do this, your post may be edited, or deleted. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time!

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:

If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish here today?

If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.
More discussion on this:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=3763 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3763)

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.Even if you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well.

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free.

Some acronyms -

SH - Sandy Hook
NoMoCo - Northern Monmouth County (below the hook to Shark River Inlet SRI)
SoMoCo - Southern Monmouth County (below SRI to Manasquan Inlet)

OC - Ocean County
IBSP - Island Beach State Park
LBI - Long Beach Island

AC - Atlantic County
AI - Absecon Inlet
CISP - Corson's Inlet State Park
CMC - Cape May County
CMR - Cape May Rips
GEI - Great Egg Inlet
TI - Townsend's Inlet

RB - Raritan Bay
BB - Barnegat Bay
CB - Chesapeake Bay
CBBT - Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel
DB - Delaware Bay

DarkSkies
07-30-2011, 09:27 PM
Clamchucker,
you won the plug in the July random drawing!:clapping: :thumbsup:
PM me your address so I can send it out to ya!

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.

If you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well. Anyone who posts a report can win a plug even if they got skunked! :skunk::D

This month we're giving out plugs from Ace Baits, or something similar.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...splay.php?f=83 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)

Thanks for posting and helping to make this a great site! :clapping:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&thumb=1&d=1238964999 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&d=1238964999)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&thumb=1&d=1238965622 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&d=1238965622)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6339&thumb=1&d=1238965319 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6339&d=1238965319)

finchaser
07-30-2011, 09:45 PM
Fished a fluke and bluefish tournament today trolled 2 bass 12# and 18# 2 we won the bluefish and placed in the fluke. Bass didn't count

surfstix1963
07-31-2011, 04:39 AM
Nice work Fin hows it going? Hope all is well.

finchaser
08-01-2011, 09:16 AM
Feel like a million bucks all green and wrinkled. Doing well how about you.

DarkSkies
08-01-2011, 09:44 AM
I thought that was
Old,
Grouchy,
Wrinkled
Basstard

but Old,
Green,
Wrinkled
Basstard?....

still fits the OGB monogram. You could switch on and off between the 2, and your girlfriend won't even have to go out and change the monogram on your shirts. :ROFLMAO :HappyWave:

chas527
08-01-2011, 01:05 PM
fished the hook this morning .4small fluke 3 sea robbins an 10 small snappers.nice morning no flies.

ledhead36
08-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Feel like a million bucks all green and wrinkled. Doing well how about you.

Ha ha hilarious! I fished nomoco from 4-7:30, few small fluke and birds on gulp.

clamchucker
08-04-2011, 09:47 PM
Thank you very much for the plug you sent me darkskies. It was unnecessary but a nice gesture. I will give it to one of my grandchildren and they hopefully will catch a nice fish on it. Many thanks for all you and your wife do here. Still enjoy the stories and the reports though I have not been fishing much lately.

surferman
08-06-2011, 09:11 AM
I have been catching a lot of fluke off the beaches of LBI lately. 6" chartreuse gulp with smaller gulp as teaser. About a 20/1 keeper ratio, mostly around the high tide. Haven't seen a bass for weeks. We did go sharking last night, threw out some chum on the beach, outgoing tide around the top. Got one brown shark about 50lbs and 4 1/2' long. Quick release back in the water. We cut the hook as the thing was a little grouchy when we brought it in.

storminsteve
08-06-2011, 09:18 AM
Quick release back in the water. We cut the hook as the thing was a little grouchy when we brought it in.

was finchaser or surfstix in LBI last night?:scared: :laugh: :HappyWave:

jigfreak
08-06-2011, 01:43 PM
Somoco at first light, 1 runt bass on a thin teaser. Was throwing a needle and teaser.

Pebbles
08-06-2011, 05:54 PM
I went to NOMOCO to spend some time meditating about what direction I want my life to go in. I thought I would report what I saw. There was one guy with two rods in the water near a jetty. About a 1 mile out there were many birds circling and diving. I saw no bait jumping out of the water. I guess they were just passing by. The guy with the two rods closed up shop and went home.

finchaser
08-09-2011, 05:16 PM
A Little late
Fished in my tuna clubs, fluke tournament

Sunday got beat up in rough sea's we were the only boat out in the morning except for the head boats.water laid down to 3 to 5 feet about 9am we ended up the day with 25 fluke 5 of which were keepers to 3 1/2 pounds

Monday water laid down fished on another friends boat the 3 of us had 60 fluke 11 of which were keepers to 5 1/4 pounds no contenders as 1st to 3 rd place were all over 6#. We lost the tournament winner at boat side while they tried to get it in the net in a rocking boat.

There were no other signs of life didn't mark or see any bait or blues in a 23 mile stretch as far as 5 miles out. Highlight of life was 4 pelicans

Well at least we will eat well tonight.

cowherder
08-09-2011, 08:33 PM
Finchaser were you fishing closer to 5 miles out or closer to the beach? Those fluke are bigger than anything I have gotten from the beach so far, great catch.

jigfreak
08-09-2011, 09:48 PM
Weakies are around, was on my neighbors boat last night in the back of barnegat bay and we got over 10 weakfish with very small rubber. Released all. Nothing big but it was good to see them around.

captnemo
08-10-2011, 08:24 AM
We fished in water up to 65' yesterday before the rain. From the Shrewsbury Rocks south. 18 fluke, 3 keepers to 27". Bucktail and gulp with gulp teaser.

chas527
08-10-2011, 10:28 AM
fished the hook yesterday' 1 small fluke 1 sea robbin.nice morning no flies.

finchaser
08-11-2011, 10:12 PM
Fished where I heard they were getting small bass and fluke on plugs the size of the 15A bomber. I got 1 small bass 25" and a 19" and 21" inch fluke today all on a 5 inch Diawa plug out front from the beeeeeecha. Go figure

Cowherder to answer your question the biggest concentration of fluke from the boat were 1 to 1 1/2 miles off the beach in 50 to 65 feet

c4charlie
08-13-2011, 09:33 PM
Yesterday, took my buddy and my boys out crabbing and snapper fishing. Everyone had fun! First time in the saltwater with the new motor. Kids had a blast jigging for the snappers, they were everywhere. My buddy and I were getting them on the fly which was fun. Nice morning in the river followed by a nice crab lunch!

seamonkey
08-15-2011, 05:51 AM
Wow crabbing seams really good right now c4charie, thanks for the report!
I fished a beach on LBI yesterday before dark, almost lost my rod to a cow nose ray on bunker! It took a half hour to get it in as it laid down in the surf after 2 runs. Man those things are powerful! The rain on and off made it a pita to fish, but by the afternoon it let up a bit.
We got it in, estimated it at about 50lbs, and let it go. I was checking for recipes on the internet because someone said you could eat them. They look nasty and scarey to me, although I was curious. So I posted the recipe under the trash fish thread in the food section. Who will be the first one to try it, not me!
And I also caught 2 spike weakfish by dragging a small ava on the bottom before that with my other pole, both released. Boy are they some beautiful fish.

surfwalker
08-15-2011, 06:37 AM
Sat. am report. Did the walk thing out front. Threw plugs in the dark, nothing. Loaded with small baitfish. Water warm as doo doo, summertime. Switched to fluking on the walk back, plenty of 'em, all shorts. Got attacked by 8 billion lady bugs.

seamonkey, keep catching those cow nose rays down there, that way I won't have to bother with them up here. As far as eating them - I don't eat anything that's uglier than me, no matter how good it might taste.

Happy Trails

seamonkey
08-15-2011, 10:17 AM
surfwalker some guys told me New Jersey is infested with cow nose rays and sharks right now so I guess you will get your turn with them sooner or later. Why can't we catch something that looks good to eat? All the fluke are there but they are too small. I hope we can see some stripers on the beach soon or at least some big bluefish.
You said ladybugs? Maybe they are migrating down the coast, oh well at least that is better than mosquitoes, right? I hear the Monarch butterfliesd may be at the shore soon as part of that too, does anyone know when they might show up?

basshunter
08-15-2011, 11:37 AM
Fishing sucks for me when is this rain going to stop! The water is dirty and brown and the surf was a little nasty last time I was out. That is my report.
bluefish where are you????????:drool:

hookset
08-15-2011, 11:40 AM
^^ The big blues are right outside of reach. Some kayakers I know got them within site of the SR buoy the other day, up to 15lbs. I assume that is what you are talking about as the snappers are all over in the bays and the wash, chopping my tails off on the gulp.

clamchucker
08-15-2011, 11:53 AM
Folks, for some reason big bluefish have not really been present in the surfline this year. There have been heavy reports of them by all my friends who are tuna fishing. They cannot get away from them, being covered up within minutes if the speed is not fast enough. They would gladly have them move to the surf so they can concentrate on the tuna. I believe there is so much bait offshore that the blues have no reason to come in closer. That may change a bit as the small bait migrates out of the bays in october.

storminsteve
08-16-2011, 04:58 PM
Thank you for that reasoning clamchucker, I agree.

Snapper report

Took some of my nephews fishing this morning in the keyport area. Fished around high tide and used snapper poppers and also some small kastmasters. The snappers were aggressive. We took some of the smaller ones in an aerated bucket to moco to fish an inlet on the outgoing. No dice, but we all had a fun time. They are there from keyport to sandy hook in the bays.

captnemo
08-18-2011, 05:45 PM
Fished down the beach from SH today for fluke. We stayed away from the fleet and did well after getting some rain early on. 6 fluke to 6lbs, 50-70' of water, on the lumps. The biggest 2 came from live snappers. Catch them up.

wish4fish
08-18-2011, 05:52 PM
we were getting bait last night before dark. using snapper poppers and kastmasters, got one 26" striper on the km i wud of thought he wud of swallowed it but he was hooked in the lip and face. trew him back and got 5 blues to 6lbs right before high tide, thers a lot of bait in the back dudes

surferman
08-20-2011, 02:00 PM
Fished an atlantic county beach last night before dark, near a jetty. Managed a few small weakfish on fin S, and a few short fluke. There were peanut bunker and spearing all over and jumping out of the water.

captnemo
08-21-2011, 01:39 PM
Down the beach again yesterday, 4 keeper fluke to 5lbs. Used snappers. Also got into some nice jigging on diamond jigs of monster blues to 13lbs about 1 mile off sea bright. That was short-lived, but fun while it lasted.

fishinmission78
08-21-2011, 02:05 PM
Fished ibsp early, got into a few cocktails and one spike weakfish right around sunrise. Action gradually tapered off after that. Metal.

surfwalker
08-22-2011, 06:37 AM
Sat. Morning - Plugged the front in the dark, nothing. At first light - many small baitfish. Fluked on the walk back, many short fluke. an that's that.

clamchucker
08-23-2011, 10:41 AM
I have been taking the grandchildren fishing off the docks behind Seaside. There are a lot of blowfish and kingfish to be caught, and the occasional weakfish. Small pieces of clams do the trick, and they are having the time of their lives. We have not had this many blowfish in years so some people have a take all you can mentality. Please remember that even this resource can be depleted and fish with conservation in mind.

jigfreak
08-23-2011, 09:11 PM
Fished the back right before dark, beginning of outgoing, fished some structure, 2 blues 1 weakie, rubber and 1/2 oz jig.

finchaser
08-27-2011, 06:25 PM
fished a spot this AM that is usually good just before big storms and the bass were there feeding on spike weakfish had 4 to 18 pounds all still swimming.all on plugs(plastic)

porgy75
08-27-2011, 07:53 PM
18pounds? stripers? No one is catching bass that big right now. Awesome! Were they on top or did you have to fish deeper for them?

surfstix1963
08-27-2011, 08:22 PM
the chow down before the storm.

finchaser
08-27-2011, 09:32 PM
18pounds? stripers? No one is catching bass that big right now. Awesome! Were they on top or did you have to fish deeper for them?

On top but only hit swimmers,it was in the back near the mouth of a river

seamonkey
08-30-2011, 07:08 AM
Nice catching finchaser! I fished a CM beach before dark last night. The surf wasnt too bad, a little dirty in close, but surprisingly free of debris. The west winds had plowed the swell down. Was using bloodworms and fishbites, got one kingfish and one sea robin.

wish4fish
08-30-2011, 07:18 AM
hey seamonkey that is kewl the back bays here are still like chocolate milk at least you got fish good deal. and findude grats on those bass and catching sumthin that big.:clapping:

DarkSkies
08-31-2011, 08:26 AM
and findude grats on those bass and catching sumthin that big.:clapping:

Don't let him kid ya, he coats everything with a mixture of bunker oil and other gunk. (Secrit formula) :laugh: :rolleyes:
When I fish with him I'm the one that has to carry the secret vial....why do ya think my waders stink so bad???? :drool:
Of course that's what it is....or is it that he's way ahead of everyone else on the block, in terms of his fishing skill set? http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.png :thumbsup: :fishing:
Ol' Grouchy can catch a fish in a frikkin rain puddle, I tell ya! :kiss: :HappyWave:

Fished the surf last night. Hard to find fish, but eventually did.
5 bass, 1 legal size, released.
All small fish, but fun. :fishing:
Fish feeding in the middle of the water column, not much bait around where I got them.
Top and bottom presentations didn't work for me, only mid-level swimmers.
The swell from the storm was still pretty big, duration from 4-5 secs at first, later around 7 secs. Surf was clean but big.
Lots of white water oxygenation to keep the fish active....Monty's favorite, white water. :wheeeee: :headbang::fishing: :cool:
Got a little wet, glad I had my wet gear on.
Bait was around but very scattered, mostly different sized spearing.

I'll post a pic or 2 in the catch and release thread, when I get a chance.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?5854-Catch-and-release-thread/page16

Monty
08-31-2011, 09:57 AM
[SIZE=1]Lots of white water oxygenation to keep the fish active....Monty's favorite, white water. :wheeeee: :headbang::fishing: :cool:
Got a little wet, glad I had my wet gear on.
Bait was around but very scattered, mostly different sized spearing.

Great, nice report. Hope there's still some white water around Sunday and Monday early AM. I'll finally get back out there at least one of those times (if not both), been Seven Weeks since I have fished. Im a frieken mess.......

finchaser
09-01-2011, 09:53 AM
6 bass this AM 21" to 32" all on plugs with none of DS's imaginary secret elixir and no white water all released alive and well

vpass
09-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Great to see you guys getting into fish. I will be trying this weekend.

chas527
09-01-2011, 12:37 PM
fished the hook this morning. they had most beaches closed.found one open got 2 small fluke and 3 sea robbin.then the tide came in no more beach just water.