View Full Version : Shark Fishing in NJ

bababooey
07-25-2008, 07:58 PM
A few kids caught and released this great white at the Sea Girt reef earlier in the week, what an amazing catch! :thumbsup:

Full story in the Coast Star. What a toothy critter! :scared:

plugginpete
07-26-2008, 11:24 AM
Incredible!

LennyD
07-26-2008, 12:22 PM
that's a deadly catch!:2flip:

bababooey
07-26-2008, 12:40 PM
Details - the shark was between 5-6' long, estimated at around 150lbs, kids were in a 23' Mako. Released at boatside. I read the story in the paper, but the online news site won't let you read the internet version unless you are a member. What's up with that? :huh:

captnemo
07-26-2008, 01:17 PM
6' long, that shark's still a baby.:laugh: still enough to take a chunk or 2 out of a swimmer's leg. Many people may not know the RB and surrounding area is considered a birthing ground for great whites.

clamchucker
08-15-2008, 09:06 AM
Sea Girt spots white shark

by Al Ristori/For The Star-Ledger Wednesday August 13, 2008, 9:25 PM

Rob Depietri of Mahwah was chumming at Sea Girt Reef on Saturday from his Sharkey's Machine out of Brick for the brown sharks that have been so abundant inshore this summer, when Lance Super of Vernon hooked into something that didn't look like a brown at all.

Depietri thought they had a mako that wasn't fighting much until they put a tail rope on it. The 6 1/2-foot shark, a female estimated at 200 pounds, then got mad, and they were about to gaff it when Depietri noticed the lack of blue coloration and asked Rich Rube of Lake Hopatcong to check out the teeth -- which were triangular rather than curved as in the mako.

White sharks are a protected species and must be released. Though rarely hooked by shark anglers, they're probably more abundant in area waters than we suspect. When the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service had a sportfish lab at Sandy Hook decades ago, Jack Casey started establishing his reputation as a shark scientist by setting out a longline off Sandy Hook and catching numerous white shark pups. He told me about this in confidence as they felt if that information about our area being a possible breeding ground for whites got out to the public there would be a panic.

stormchaser
08-15-2008, 04:19 PM
I would love to catch a great white by accident one day. Not to bring it in, but just to bring close to the boat, so I could see those jaws of death.:scared:

stripercrazy
08-17-2008, 12:40 AM
I would love to catch a great white by accident one day. Not to bring it in, but just to bring close to the boat, so I could see those jaws of death.:scared:

Yeah ok, I'm with ya, as long as you're the one leadering it in.:D

captnemo
08-22-2008, 04:54 PM
Fox news picked up the story and interviewed these guys. Sharkey's Machine. Lance Stupor & Bob Dipietri.:clapping:

http://www.foxnews.com/video2/video08.html?maven_referralObject=3042608&maven_referralPlaylistId=&sRevUrl=http://www.foxnews.com/

hookset
08-13-2009, 02:21 PM
A lot of guys seem to be talking about catching sharks at night this summer. What kinds of sharks are you guys getting, and what is the best bait, times, and tide? Thanks.

lostatsea
08-13-2009, 02:40 PM
I heard brown and bull sharks were on the menu. A few friends have been fluke fishing within 1/2mile of shore and came back with only the fluke head on the line. A shark that can eat a fluke whole has to be pretty decent size, over 6'.:scared:

fishinmission78
08-13-2009, 06:33 PM
I have been getting mostly brown sharks, and some smooth dogfish. There are some regulations for brown sharks, make sure you guys follow them. It's not that big a deal at night, but you really aren't supposed to be "targeting" them as they are protected. Any smart enforcement officer knows that you can't dictate what hits your line, so I think they would be lenient as long as you put it back quickly.It wouldn't be a great idea to take a video of the brown shark while all the family members are holding it and passing it around, though. Plus it could be a tad dangerous, lol. Watch those teeth!:scared:

NOAA:
http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/sfa/hms/brochures/2008/Shark%20Recreational%20Brochure%20June%202008.pdf

RELEASE INFORMATION
If you catch a prohibited species or an undersized
shark, you must release that fish to the sea immediately
with a minimum of injury and without removing the fish
from the water. If you are not sure of the species and
whether you may keep it, release it. Recreational
fishermen can no longer retain sandbar or “brown”
sharks or silky sharks.

bababooey
08-14-2009, 12:30 AM
NOAA:
http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/sfa/hms/brochures/2008/Shark%20Recreational%20Brochure%20June%202008.pdf

RELEASE INFORMATION
sharks or silky sharks.

I'm not sure if that is correct FnM. This came from another site, apparently in that release they are talking about recreational fishermen fishing from boats. I think the surf regs are a little different, but I'm not sure, as I fish from my boat more than the surf. As far as I know I have to follow the regs, but you guys don't. Anyone who has different info please post it.

"Browns cannot be kept in Federal waters, but can be kept in state waters (within 3 miles). Also, technically anyone with a Pelagic permit is not allowed to keep a Brown in any waters, technically."

storminsteve
08-18-2009, 03:02 PM
I think the surf regs are a little different, but I'm not sure, as I fish from my boat more than the surf. As far as I know I have to follow the regs, but you guys don't. Anyone who has different info please post it.

I found the same thing, and it looks like you are not allowed to keep them. Is there a suggestion someone has for further searching?

RELEASE INFORMATION
sharks or silky sharks.

dogfish
08-18-2009, 05:19 PM
"I'll tell ya about the sharks....
Sometimes that shark he looks right into ya. Right into your eyes. And, you know, the thing about a shark... he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be living... until he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then... ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin'. The ocean turns red, and despite all the poundin' and the hollerin', they all come in and they... rip you to pieces."

Throw out a bunch of bloody meat, bunker, guts, heads, what have you, and the sharks will come. They cruise the currents at night looking for food. Go get em lads.:D

basshunter
03-20-2010, 10:02 AM
Shark fishing, who targets the big browns and sandbars from shore?

DarkSkies
08-01-2011, 09:34 AM
Anyone up for some midnight sharkin? :cool:
Sent in by Finchaser, thanks.

Sharks Being Caught off Island Beach State Park

Sharks, rays being caught in Seaside and Island Beach

By J. R. Warnet (http://brick.patch.com/users/j-r-warnet)

Local anglers are adding a few warm water fish to their list this week, including four-foot sharks off of the southern stretches of the barrier island.
Sharks and stingrays have been caught by fishermen this week using atlantic menhaden, or bunker, for bait. Anglers are also catching fluke, bluefish and the occasional striped bass.

With increased numbers of sharks and rays in the water beachfronts have been put on high alert. A man was stung this week in Island Beach State Park by a stingray, officials reported.

Sandbar sharks, or Carcharhinus plumbeus, or in town and being caught mainly on night on bunker. These sharks are similar in size to young bull sharks with a snub nose and elongated dorsal fin.

Since both the sandbar shark and the bull shark are related genentically it is possible for one to be misidentified for another.

Warmer water from the south has been a driving force behind a large number of sightings.Fish follow the Gulf Stream up from the south and tend to come close inshore when the water gets very warm. New Jersey is home to many sharks and rays during the summer months including cownose rays and southern stingrays.

Both rays and sharks are biting at night on bunker using a shark rig or a float-rig with a steel leader. Sandbars, or "brown sharks" are averaging 4-feet which is about the size of the one this author caught on Wedensday night.

http://brick.patch.com/articles/sharks-being-caught-off-island-beach-state-park?ncid=M255

DarkSkies
08-01-2011, 09:41 AM
Time for a plug for the Brick Patch....

Fin's sending me these articles all the time. Funny thing is...I find all of them interesting and informative.

At a time when most newspapers are shrinking or dying,, I feel the Brick Patch is a standout in it's field.
And that's what today's newspapers have to do to survive, become standouts, bring people the news that they are interested in, and cultivate an online following and presence.

This is not a paid announcement as they are not a sponsor here.
However, for anyone who lives in Ocean County, or just wants to keep a handle on what's happening down there, I encourage you to give the Brick Patch a look.

You don't even have to deal with delivery...they will send it to you online....:clapping: :cool:

Get patched in...
Get Patched In

Brick news, events, and deals, delivered straight to you.
http://brick.patch.com

Tell your neighbors...

storminsteve
08-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Shark fn soup anyone?

basshunter
08-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Just be careful guys, in DE they can't even bring them up on the sand anymore. 2 local kids got fined $269 in court after catching a 9 foot sandbar shark.
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20110727/NEWS08/107270350/New-shark-rules-take-big-bite-out-anglers-wallets?odyssey=obinsite

porgy75
06-10-2013, 05:33 PM
Wondering when a good time will be to start sharking from the beach in ocean county. Is there enough bait there at night to draw them in? How about the water temps do they have to be a certain minimum?

robmedina
06-10-2013, 10:22 PM
Wondering when a good time will be to start sharking from the beach in ocean county. Is there enough bait there at night to draw them in? How about the water temps do they have to be a certain minimum?
Let me know when you plan on going, I will join you.

surferman
06-11-2013, 12:21 PM
I don't know about island beach but they did get some brown sharks in the delaware bay yesterday or sunday. A lot!!

robmedina
06-11-2013, 12:52 PM
I don't know about island beach but they did get some brown sharks in the delaware bay yesterday or sunday. A lot!!
by boat or surf?

surferman
06-11-2013, 01:12 PM
rob I read it was from a boat but that gets me thinking they are soon to make an appearance in the surf. I am psyched!

robmedina
06-11-2013, 05:41 PM
rob I read it was from a boat but that gets me thinking they are soon to make an appearance in the surf. I am psyched! me too! I mean I haven't caught any before but I am looking forward to it this year!

great_white_hunter
06-21-2013, 06:41 PM
I've heard of Brown Sharks being caught off Sandy Hook as well. Not saying they are catching now, but I have heard of it in the past. It does sound like fun. Anybody hear any new on Mako Mania, I believe it started today.

jigfreak
06-21-2013, 07:00 PM
^^^^GWH Might be possible depends on the water temps. I have gotten browns in point pleasant before. I only tried for brown sharks once in sandy hook it was july and got covered up by dogfish so I gave up. Def possible tho

J Barbosa
06-21-2013, 11:08 PM
I've caught brown sharks off Sandy Hook but nothing big.

I have a sick collection of crimps, wire and crimpers (not the cheap $30 kind) if anyone wants to do some sharking in July/August.

robmedina
06-22-2013, 08:36 AM
I've caught brown sharks off Sandy Hook but nothing big.

I have a sick collection of crimps, wire and crimpers (not the cheap $30 kind) if anyone wants to do some sharking in July/August. one word....YES!

robmedina
06-22-2013, 08:40 AM
I did manage a good sized stingray last night. What a blast, she ran at least 40-50 yards out of line on the first run. Took me forever to get her in as I was by myself. When she was on the beach I wave would come in and she would jump on it and try and go for more runs. Eventually a fellow fisherman came onto the beach and gave me a hand. Funny thing is now more people would come up and stand (barefoot) right next to her tail. I kept telling them to watch out. All the macho guys replied " I am good Bro, aint nuffin gonna happen" Okie Dokie, you have been warned!:don't know why:17213

Fishman
06-22-2013, 04:56 PM
ALERT - ALERT WHITE WATER ALERT ALERT WHITE WATER!!!
Oh maybe not Rob is out there.:ROFLMAO

robmedina
06-22-2013, 05:12 PM
alert - alert white water alert alert white water!!!
Oh maybe not rob is out there.:roflmao
lmao!!!

captnemo
07-18-2013, 08:17 PM
Wanted to let you folks know that you don't have to travel down south to get them. We fished the shrewsbury rocks today. In the course of fluking with gulp and peruvian spearing we managed 3 brown sharks. Only got one to the surface it was around 40lbs. The others bit through the line but we knew they were sharks. If you are fishing for sharks at night off monmouth beach or sea bright you should be able to catch some. They are around.

robmedina
07-19-2013, 07:18 AM
Wanted to let you folks know that you don't have to travel down south to get them. We fished the shrewsbury rocks today. In the course of fluking with gulp and peruvian spearing we managed 3 brown sharks. Only got one to the surface it was around 40lbs. The others bit through the line but we knew they were sharks. If you are fishing for sharks at night off monmouth beach or sea bright you should be able to catch some. They are around. good to know. I am heading to LBI tomorrow night to my honey hole. I am taking my cousin so I am hoping we hook into a good fight.

clamchucker
07-19-2013, 08:03 PM
Rob I have friends who have been out to the Barnegat Ridge and caught brown sharks in the last week. If that is the case they certainly should be avaiable at night from LBI.

robmedina
07-20-2013, 08:29 AM
Rob I have friends who have been out to the Barnegat Ridge and caught brown sharks in the last week. If that is the case they certainly should be avaiable at night from LBI.
Awesome, thanks!

robmedina
08-09-2013, 01:08 PM
Hey guys- I reached out to a guy from another forum about making me some shark rigs. Well they came today and I am very happy with not only the rigs but the guy who sold them to me. He followed up with me to make sure I got them and gave me some great tips on getting sharks. He has a passion for sharking and it shows.
Here is a pic of the one he made me (on the left) compared to the store bought one on the right.17373 Cadillac vs a pinto if you ask me. I got 4 rigs for $20.00 plus $1.50 shipping.
Now I don't know Jude but wanted to share his information in case any one else is looking for affordable rigs.
DSi f I am over stepping my boundaries please delete the thread.
Jude's email is jude.becker@aol.com contact him with what you need.

captnemo
08-09-2013, 03:25 PM
.17373 Cadillac vs a pinto if you ask me.

Agreed, the rig on the right looks like it would handle dogfish and bluefish but not much else. Thin wire and a small hook and swivel. The one on the left looks much sturdier. What size hooks?

J Barbosa
08-09-2013, 03:39 PM
Rob,

Is the rig on the left made out of single strand or braided wire?

It looks like single strand to me but its hard to tell from the picture.

robmedina
08-09-2013, 05:09 PM
I think it is a 9/0 circle hook. YEs John the one on the left is braided wire- extremely flexible. The guy I bought them from says he catches 250# sharks with this same rig.

robmedina
08-09-2013, 05:15 PM
the rig on the right is single strand- I did land a 3-4' brownie with it last Friday night- it does look like a blue fish rig though. Well it will now be my back up incase I loose the other 4, lol! I emailed the guy who made the new rigs and asked for specifics. as soon as he emails me back I will post.

robmedina
08-09-2013, 05:56 PM
This is what Jude said " I use AFW 49 strand shark wire 275lb test, bill fisher475lb swivels, and size 10 eagle claw lazer sharp circle hooks." and "I also sell the same rig with size 12 mustadcircles and i charge 8 for them. Or 3 for 20. I use the best material. "

J Barbosa
08-10-2013, 07:48 AM
Rob,

When I started chunking for sharks I couldn't find any rigs that I liked. They would all use crimps to attach the hook, kinked to easily, had limited hook choices, or were too long for my taste (reduced casting distance).

There are some better surf rigs available now that sharking has exploded in popularity but one thing you will still have a hard time getting is a snelled hook using wire. If your using a circle hook with a loose (swiveling connection) it gives the hook an escape route. Sharks mouths are very tough.

I eventually broke down and made the investment in quality crimpers and different sizes/types of wire and sleeves (it cost me about $120 total). After many crappy rigs and headaches I am finally happy with my rig design and materials. It's ironic as I have little interest in shark fishing now...

This is a close up of my wire snell. I didn't have any shark worthy circle hooks in the house so I tied this sample rig on a 10/0 Gami Octopus. If I was to go shark fishing I would have a big circle hook on there.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7393/9476874540_8c1528741a_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/94721242@N02/9476874540/)

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2814/9476874454_5f566872e7_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/94721242@N02/9476874454/)

I also ran out of the bigger 230lb Spro swivels so I used the 130lb size which are still extremely strong.

Note the short 8-10" leaders on a fish finder rig to maximize casting distance with bigger baits. I suggest using six feet of 80lb mono as a rub leader.

You can tie the very same rig yourself with a little practice. A 30ft spool of AFW 100lb 1x7 wire costs around $6. No need for fancy crimps or crimpers as you can get by using the figure 8 knot (check YouTube).

robmedina
08-10-2013, 03:08 PM
Thanks John. I was thinking about getting crimpers and wire but had no idea where to start. Maybe I can pick your brain when I am in a position to start doing it. Currently I use 100# mono for a shock leader- about 6 feet. I don't really have a problem casting- I just lay the whole rig and leader on the beach behind me and do a modified pendulum cast. The only time it becomes somewhat of an issue is when I wade out to get a little further- because I don't want to get soaked when I cast- even then I still don't have much of a problem.

J Barbosa
08-11-2013, 01:24 PM
Anytime Rob,

Crimping wire is easy and it's hard to screw it up once you know the basics.

Snelling wire isn't as easy to do without​ kinking the wire.

cowherder
06-17-2014, 12:30 PM
Very informative thread good read. Is any one thinking of trying for sharks now or is it best to wait till July?

robmedina
06-17-2014, 03:38 PM
I just saw on another forum a guy caught 4 sharks. I would stay to the south, the water is warmer.

cowherder
06-17-2014, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the heads up rob! lbi south or further?

robmedina
06-18-2014, 06:15 AM
Thanks for the heads up rob! lbi south or further? The water is warmer down south- think Cape May- but I saw a report on another forum that guys were catching around LBI. Thresher sharks seem to be more prevalent but they might be a little ways off the beach.

seamonkey
06-18-2014, 10:02 PM
Robs right they are catching them from cape may to brigantine right now. Browns at night to 6'

surferman
06-19-2014, 10:57 AM
rob and seamonkey good intel. A bud got 2 last nite in ocean city. Using bunker head. Biggest one was about 5' he said they were a blast to catch. he is having better luck on the incoming. hope that helps.

jigfreak
06-19-2014, 11:52 AM
They may be closer than brigantine. Saw this on the internet. This guy got a small one yesterday daytime in long branch. Think he was using bunker as well. 18555

bababooey
06-22-2014, 10:20 PM
This great white came and ate their chum bag.
http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Great-White-Shark-Sighting-Near-Cape-May-264163151.html

robmedina
06-26-2014, 05:29 AM
Juvenile Great Whit caught within swimming distance to the beach at LBI http://www.app.com/ Looks like the shark fishing is at it's prime!

buckethead
06-26-2014, 08:38 AM
Nice info on the sharks gents.

ledhead36
06-29-2014, 07:15 AM
Well we started sharking as the bass and blue action has been pretty quiet.
Got a few doggies in moco last nite. still trying for a brown.

seamonkey
07-29-2014, 09:03 AM
Pretty cool article about shark Tony Cutugno.

Jersey Shore legend 'Shark Tony' catches hundreds of sharks, conquers ocean from his kayak
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2014/07/shark_tony.html

robmedina
07-29-2014, 02:53 PM
^^^^^cool video. Tony shows how you can be a minimalist and still catch.

porgy75
07-29-2014, 05:37 PM
That was awesome thanks for sharing. In 2012 he caught a 7foot dusky off ocean city.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPHZ-Ab0Wdw

hookedonbass
08-24-2014, 01:45 PM
There are some big browns in cape may too. Check out this one they caught in Wildwood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzooMLG6bAc

fishinmission78
06-22-2015, 12:59 PM
brown sharks are starting to show up in case anyone is interested. A bud was fishing the ocean city area over the weekend and got a few to 70 pounds on bunker heads.

porgy75
07-12-2015, 10:17 PM
Awesome thanks.

baitstealer
07-12-2015, 10:19 PM
They got a small great white shark off of sandy hook today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXYmTW2Fy0g

captnemo
07-13-2015, 11:04 AM
We caught one that size off the candlesticks about 3 years ago. Sandy Hook is a known area where great whites come to have pups. Be careful when you catch them technically they are not supposed to be brought into the boat. A quick cut to the line as close as you can get it, and release.

surferman
07-20-2015, 04:30 PM
You all have to check out this video. Non stop brown shark action. I have been fishing at the end of day with clams and bunker in CM and it's nothing like the numbers they got here. Looks like I should have set up further north. Follow the bunker schools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8R8O7Mr7BE

porgy75
07-20-2015, 04:57 PM
Man those are some big sharks! They are lucky none of them bit them in the toes. Great vid thanks for sharing it.

surferman
06-23-2016, 12:33 PM
Monsters are starting to show up in the surf. Cape May and Atlantic counties Cut bait and fish heads are best. My buddies got a few to 7' this week. lots of little weak fish as well.

seamonkey
07-28-2016, 07:53 AM
13 year old boy catches 200 pound shark in Long Beach Island. awesome catch and video, congrats!
http://nj1015.com/watch-13-year-old-boy-catches-200-pound-shark-at-lbi/

surferman
07-31-2016, 09:34 AM
Awesome catch, kudos to the young man.:clapping:

clamchucker
08-01-2016, 03:26 PM
Nice going Gianni and good for you for fishing since you were 6 years old. He sounds like a nice young man. Love to see stories like this.

jigfreak
08-04-2016, 05:07 PM
6 foot shark just landed the other day in Ventnor.
http://www.nj.com/atlantic/index.ssf/2016/08/teens_reel_in_shark_on_south_jersey_beach.html