PDA

View Full Version : 5 years in the making

JustEd
08-01-2011, 10:08 PM
and 3 re-builds later, I got it right.
Couldn't wait till I had pictures, just needed to post a teaser.
I call it the cannon.
Loving the new Fuji KWAG's
400+ feet with a 4 ounce bucktail, with little effort.
The thread work kicks a$$ toooooooo.

Simp
08-01-2011, 11:43 PM
Nice!

DarkSkies
08-02-2011, 09:27 AM
400+ feet with a 4 ounce bucktail, with little effort.
The thread work kicks a$$ toooooooo.

400' ?
I'm already impressed without the pics.
Look forward to seeing them.

plugcrazy
08-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Yeah, please post some pictures!

JustEd
08-02-2011, 11:48 AM
Pics tonight guy's.
While I was test casting it, I started at the lowest rating of 2 ounces, and it barely loaded up. I clipped the 4 ounce and it got sweet.
I threw a couple of lobs and got some good distance. I loaded up the next cast, and my 1st Gen Zee, freshly spooled with 300 yards +/- of 65 lb power pro braid, ended up with less than half the spool. I was casting into a pond near the house that is 250 yards across. I was more than 2/3's across the pond where the jig landed. I will be going to a football field near the house within the next 2 or 3 days to get a better measurement.

JustEd
08-02-2011, 07:37 PM
I could not duplicate the efforts from the pond distance wise, or I overestimated (most likely). From one goal post at the football field I was able, However to put a cast directly through the other Goal post. Best cast, 340 feet. Still good distance, but not what I had thought and claimed earlier.
Here's the pics of the wraps;

The Butt wrap, overall 14 inches multi step with a plus 1 interval.

Butt wrap up close.

The Flaming Skull was done by John, AKA, DoubleRunner. This is placed in the middle of the split grips at the butt. It was his first attempt with his Renzetti wonder weaver. Needless to say he is a quick study and picks up every lesson immediately. I have taught many to build rods, John has surpassed any of my former students in spades.

The Guide wraps. Fuji "K" frames. I will never build another surf rod with any other type of guide ever again.

Monty
08-02-2011, 10:24 PM
Sick wrap job. :thumbsup:
Whats the blank?

JustEd
08-02-2011, 10:55 PM
Lami, BSB Fiberglass. 3M action, rated 2 to 6. Started out at 13', cut the butt 12" and the tip 6. Moved the sweet spot down to right where the first guide is wrapped. The rating has changed to a 3 minimum, havent loaded it past 5 yet, but I would bet it handles 7. Sweet spot is right at 4.
Those "K" frames love braid, and the placement with the Zee is straight on, the line goes through slicker than snot...........

surfstix1963
08-03-2011, 07:43 PM
Really nice Ed enjoy

plugaholic
08-04-2011, 10:47 AM
Totally awesome work.

DarkSkies
08-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Best cast, 340 feet. Still good distance, but not what I had thought and claimed earlier...

The Flaming Skull was done by John, AKA, DoubleRunner. This is placed in the middle of the split grips at the butt. It was his first attempt with his Renzetti wonder weaver. Needless to say he is a quick study and picks up every lesson immediately. I have taught many to build rods, John has surpassed any of my former students in spades.

340 feet is still twice as far as many guys are usually casting, plenty of distance. :thumbsup:
And that flaming skull is quickly becoming Doublerunner/John's signature trademark. :clapping: High quality work, thanks for sharing.

hookset
08-04-2011, 02:05 PM
Primo work justEd, when are you going to fish it?

JustEd
08-04-2011, 08:27 PM
Tomorrow night, its going swimming..................

Simp
08-05-2011, 12:52 PM
Hopefully a giant cow puts it to the test!

Doublerunner
09-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Saw him fish it last night. We hiked to the canyons. 1st cast he nails a keeper. I know it's all because that flaming skull gave that rod some mojo. It's like it calls to the stripers. Here I am, look into my eyes, you are getting sleepy, sleepy, sleeepppyyy. And then BAM you are hooked up.

LOL. You know I am just kidding. My ego ain't that big. LOL

Putting a cow to the test? I have a STRONG feeling that is coming this fall. Stay tuned

JustEd
09-04-2011, 03:30 PM
Fresh rod with Flaming Skull weave done by John = Mojo
My Fathers old fishing knife from days going back more than 40 years on my belt = Mojo
(Found it buried away in the old basement while doing a remodel a few days ago)
North Bar Green Mack = Mojo
Fishing one of my all time favorite locations with 2 of my best friends = Mojo X 50

storminsteve
07-19-2012, 09:16 AM
Saw him fish it last night. We hiked to the canyons. 1st cast he nails a keeper. I know it's all because that flaming skull gave that rod some mojo. It's like it calls to the stripers. Here I am, look into my eyes, you are getting sleepy, sleepy, sleeepppyyy. And then BAM you are hooked up.

LOL. You know I am just kidding. My ego ain't that big. LOL

Putting a cow to the test? I have a STRONG feeling that is coming this fall. Stay tuned

Hey I would believe that flaming skull would call the fish. It just has to. Too sick looking not to. Awesome work.