PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Camping Trip of the year

c4charlie
08-03-2011, 11:16 AM
A bit of a longer report here if you are interested...

Another camping trip with the boys this past weekend, game mom a rest. It was an interesting trip for sure. We get to the site, setup and there is a ton of already cut wood waiting for us. That was a pleasant surprise. Went fishing for the usual evening bite and had the usual sunfish, rock bass, and occasional smallie. Grilled up some dinner and we got ready for our night fishing trip to get some rainbows. We setup on a good spot and within minutes, we get a nice 18" rainbow that would become a very nice dinner the next day! It was slow and we caught a couple more so we waited until my younger son hooked up and then we called it a night.

Next day, did some fishing, snorkeling, swimming and crayfish hunting. We managed to find a bunch of crayfish that we had planned to feed to the smallmouth during dusk. We were heading back to the campsite from a quick midday fishing trip and all of a sudden motor goes from drive to out of gear and revs up like it was in neutral. Turn it off and then back on but propeller won't spin whether in drive or reverse. Luckily we have a trolling motor but unsure if it will get us back to the boat ramp the next day with a fully loaded boat especially because we used it a lot the previous day and ran an underwater light.

We did use the trolling motor briefly to get out to where the smallies are and began to feed them our crayfish. They loved them! We caught only smallmouth on them and 10-12 fish in a short period of time. They could not resist. The fish weren't that big but put up an incredible fight for the kids. We did get a nicer one to the boat but bolted out of the water and missed the my son's net and escaped. It was probably 2lbs or so. Kids had a blast. My buddy was jigging monster sunfish in the 9-11" range on an ice fishing rod.

So, that night as we were getting ready to sleep, a major storm comes through with absolutely no notice and lighting, thunder and major winds. I had to run like a chicken with my head off to make sure the stuff that should not get wet was sheltered.

The next morning, we decided to pack up early because we did not know what would happen and if we would make the 1-1.5 mile journey back with 4 people and a boat full of camping gear. The motor started out well although we had a 5mph head wind. By midway, I checked the voltage from the fish finder and we were down to 8 volts. 3/4 of the way, I tried to check again and the fish finder would not even go on. On the last leg, the motor was barely moving us a long and luckily the wind was now blocked by the land. We just made it to dock to end a very eventful camping trip.

Not sure what broke on the motor which has given me first pull start performance and not even a hiccup for the past 3-4 years and over 100 trips. I looked it over and the schematics to see if it was something simple. Seems like the gear linkage is all in the shaft and I did not want to take it apart so I dropped it off at the marine place yesterday.

Here are some pics!

c4charlie
08-03-2011, 11:18 AM
A few more...

plugaholic
08-04-2011, 11:02 AM
What a great trip! Looks like you got to see the ballooning festival while you were at it.

DarkSkies
08-04-2011, 11:48 AM
I was gonna call ya about the creme worms I mentioned, Charlie. They are there in the store, and different variations, saw em the other day. I thought I would let ya know. You can go in and make your own choice relative to where you would be using them. A customer of mine who doesn't fish any more because of his health tells me story after story about getting fish on the hottest summer days by digging and using "crawfish", as he calls em. Sounds like you guys discovered that secret as well.

They look like they are the happiest kids in the world when they are on those camping trips with you. Great report, felt like I was there. :thumbsup: :fishing:

cowherder
08-04-2011, 02:17 PM
Fantastic photographs c4! The smiles say it all. Do you bring your grill or do they have them?

storminsteve
08-04-2011, 10:06 PM
You lucked out with the motor, sorry to hear of that. Could have ruined the entire weekend. Your kids look like someone gave them the key to willie wonka's chocolate factory they look so happy. Glad you all had a good time and caught some fish. Good luck with the motor, let us know what the problem was when you find out.

c4charlie
08-10-2011, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the comments guys!

I went to RV again last Thur on the 4th. My son's 5th birthday. He has started a tradition that he goes to Round Valley each birthday and we sing happy birthday to him with some candles and cupcakes as the sun sets. We had a really nice dusk bite for smallmouth. We stayed for the night bite looking for Rainbows. Took a nice 17-18 inch rainbow home after a pretty slow bite (think it was too early yet). To our surprise, we caught a 14-15" perch from almost 50ft below. We had no choice but to take it since the stomach of the fish totally inflated. Both fish tasted excellent the next day!

This was the first day with the new 9.9 motor. It improved the boat immensely as the extra 2HP and being 6 years newer made a world of a difference. My boat never really planed before. The old motor has a broken driveshaft and it is too expensive to repair.

Here are some pics of the new 5year old angler on his special day.

Some info... I am looking around to doing one more camping trip later this month but since we always go to Round Valley, I would like to switch it up. Wondering if you have any recommendations that I could use my 9.9 aluminum boat and be situated on the water in the 1-2 hour drive vicinity. cabin/tent/whatever works for us. Need a change of scenery and all my kids want to do is fish. It would also be nice to catch some new or bigger fish. Send me a pm if you have some recommendations. I got my NY and NJ freshwater license. I don't mind getting a PA license.

Thanks in advance.

I think I am going to RV after work today.

skinner
07-30-2012, 11:54 AM
Great story and pics. Smiles all around. The balloon pic was awesome as well.