PDA

View Full Version : VanStaal

stripermania
08-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Are the Van Staals really worth their money? There are so many brands out there that perform and hold up just as well. What is your opinion?

surfstix1963
08-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Not out of my pocket if I were going to spend that money it wouldn't be on the VS if your skishing or just plain abuse your equiptment I guess spend the money other than being waterproof I don't see the attraction I used my buddies didn't impress me just my opinion though.

finchaser
08-03-2011, 08:35 PM
Only if you swim with it,I have a VSB150 and a VM150 both Van Staal's ,a Sustain and a Saltiga. I prefer the Saltiga ZA 4500. The new VM 150 is $400 and dunk able you can't swim with it. They all have there place.

Monty
08-03-2011, 09:53 PM
The last 3 years I have used nothing but a Van Staal. Not one problem and I abuse it. Dunk it, drop it in sand, the wash...almost each outing. No premature bail closings. Its reliable. I fish mostly 1x per week and am a mile from my jeep almost all the time and don't want a reel failure (my fishing outings are extremely important to me) . Its not anywhere near as smooth as some other reels. But I am extremely satisfied with its performance and reliability.

Pebbles
08-04-2011, 08:00 PM
I always heard they are the best. I have to say I am extremely happy with the set up I got from Finchaser. As far as I am concerned, nothing beats it!!!!

rockhopper
08-04-2011, 08:30 PM
The new VM 150 is $400 and dunk able you can't swim with it. They all have there place.

Thanks for that info finchaser but if I was shopping for a VS I would rather buy a used one. I just saw a used 150 (being sold by original owner with papers) for $450. This is just my opinion, but I would rather have one that is dunkable, otherwise why get a VS?

finchaser
08-04-2011, 11:17 PM
your welcome just remember to get a serial # and call VS to make sure it's not stolen and hopefully you are comfortable fishing bail less good luck

Monty
08-06-2011, 01:49 PM
Thanks for that info finchaser but if I was shopping for a VS I would rather buy a used one. I just saw a used 150 (being sold by original owner with papers) for $450. This is just my opinion, but I would rather have one that is dunkable, otherwise why get a VS?

My first VS was a 150, bought it used and was very happy with it. But I have since changed my style of fishing, that the rods I use are bigger (went from 9' to 10'+), so I sold the 150 and bought a 200. Buying used is a bit of a gamble, but I do it a lot and have saved lots that way.

Jackbass
08-10-2011, 05:10 PM
They are worth it If you like a reel that will more than likely last as long as you are fishing. They don't only hold up well to being dunked, but how often have you dropped a reel in the sand and been able to dunk it in saltwater to release the sand and continue on with your fishing. They are 100% serviceable now etc. etc. If you can fins one used go for it. if there is an issue with it sevice it and more than likely it will be as good as new. Aside from a bent shaft etc.