View Full Version : Mavericks

madcaster
08-05-2011, 01:04 AM
This is one of my favorite lures … I love the ways it swims. I don’t ever throw it any more I don’t want to lose it until I can make my own and have it swim like the original.
The one with the pink hooks is the original and the others are my version. They don't swim exactly like the original, but I haven’t given up yet.
I tried to making one without the lip and the other ended up to small. They all have their own style of “movement” in the water.
They will make great blue fish plugs at least.

surfstix1963
08-05-2011, 05:06 AM
Did you try making a lexan lip for them yourself you would have to notch it in and epoxy over it.

surfstix1963
08-05-2011, 05:35 AM
I believe the Gary2 sidekick was designed after the maverick you probably can't find either though unless you have deep pockets or a friend with an x-ray machine so you can see the internals of the maverick w/o destroying it.Was the maverick a foam core plug I can't remember.

DarkSkies
08-05-2011, 11:46 AM
They do have some great action, madcaster. A few of them are still around. I've seen Fin pull one out and throw it when the bite is slow. :drool: A good angler has to be ready to change things up. That's one of the things about using mavericks, they find fish when they are scattered. Good choice. :thumbsup:

Some other good presentations that do that when the fish are scattered are the Rapala x-rap and other smaller swimmers with rattles in them.

surfstix1963
08-05-2011, 12:03 PM
Sometimes the good old chrome/blue back rattle trap gets them going I used them for weakies when the snappers are around early a.m. or at night the fluke love them too if you can get it to hug just above the bottom.

plugaholic
08-25-2011, 12:18 PM
Dude, Mavericks? Havent seen them in a long time, awesome!

hookset
08-25-2011, 01:40 PM
I guess it's not just big wood that catches then. Good stuff.