PDA

View Full Version : How good are the Amish fishermen?

DarkSkies
08-15-2011, 03:17 PM
Think you're a hotshot fresh water guy?
Won a few tournaments in your day?
Think you're at the top of the heap, "almost" as good as Mike Iaconelli? ;)

I can guarantee ya's there are some folks out there who will give you a run for your money...And they ain't using $30k bassboats with 300hp either....:viking:

What would ya's say.....

if I told ya's, that some of the best fishermen out there, are the Amish farmers who live around lake areas, and fish without any motors or electronics, to trump most of the competition every time they're out there? :kicknuts:

DarkSkies
08-15-2011, 03:36 PM
Pebbles and I recently took a low budget 2-day trip to the Lake Chataqua area.
We didn't do any fishing, but ran into some Amish farmers who were kicking Azz by fishing from a canoe they paddled!

They fished all day and had 2 coolers full of fish (only retaining their limits)
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/31421.html

DarkSkies
08-15-2011, 03:44 PM
Their horse and buggy.

DarkSkies
08-15-2011, 03:44 PM
This is their gear laid out all ready to go back home. They had a 12' canoe with paddle, which they told me they strapped on to the top of the buggy for the 10 mile ride back to their farm.

DarkSkies
08-18-2011, 08:06 PM

Holy crap look at all these fish!
Most of these would not be taken by some anglers, as they might be considered trash fish, the sunnies, smallest perch, etc, but these Amish farmers eat everything, nothing goes to waste.

DarkSkies
08-18-2011, 08:09 PM
Close ups of the fish. A lot of the bigger fish might look like bass, but a closer inspection reveals them to be some type of white perch, with a few largemouth bass in the mix. . The one guy Joe said they were the biggest perch they had ever gotten there. :drool:

DarkSkies
08-18-2011, 08:14 PM
Joe was fishing with his 2 brothers. I didn't take pics because it's their custom not to have pics taken of them, and I wanted to respect that. :thumbsup:

He said the bulk of the smaller fish were caught on garden worms they dug, about 6 dozen of them were used.

They were fishing weed beds and drop offs, bulkheads, etc, all without the benefit of fishfinder or any other electronics.

One modern "trick" they are allowed to use...yum worms, he recommended them highly for the bass there. :fishing:

jonthepain
08-18-2011, 10:09 PM
old school

like the old guy (my neighbor on LBI) who taught me how to surf fish. no gizmos, just lots of hours on the beach with a fiberglass rod, an early penn spin (both of which his wife gave me after he passed, and that i still have,) and a redfin.

old bill could really catch 'em.