PDA

View Full Version : Really Bad fishing news - algae bloom and dead fish

finchaser
08-19-2011, 04:31 PM
A satellite has identified a monster algae bloom off the New Jersey coast that could soon affect fishing and beachgoers.

Images from the NOAA satellite show a swirling blueish green blob stretching from Brooklyn past Sandy Hook all the way down to Cape May -- a distance of more than 100 miles.

An arm of the bloom extends east from Long Beach Island for dozens of miles, then curls north and northeast across the middle of the New York Bight, also for a distance of about 100 miles.

When the algae dies in the next week or so, it could cause a huge dead zone just off shore.

"If there's no way for oxygen to be replenished, yes it could have an impact on fish," said Josh Kohut, an assistant professor at Rutgers' Marine and Coastal Sciences school.Kohut explained that, as algae dies and sinks to the ocean floor, it is eaten by bacteria.

That process consumes oxygen in the water, which either suffocates fish that can't get away in time or drives them to more oxygen-rich waters.

Kohut said the bloom was caused by an unfortunate combination of southwesterly winds that allowed the upwelling of cold, nutrient-rich waters to come to the surface.

That upwelling gave the algae so much food they could quickly multiply. Kohut compared it to a sort of Miracle Gro in the ocean.

Some of the nutrients appear to have come from New York Harbor following heavy rains over last weekend and the overflow of sewage and storm drain systems.

"The secondary process with extensive rainstorms over the weekend seemed to fuel the secondary growth to the north," said Heather Saffert, a staff scientist with Clean Ocean Action, based on Sandy Hook.

Normally, Kohut said Nor'easters and hurricanes will churn up the waters enough to prevent a dead zone from Cape May to New York Harbor.

Without that, he warned fishing could be slim and beachgoers may notice a brown foam covering their bodies as they get out of the surf.

porgy75
08-19-2011, 05:36 PM
Wow, will this never end?

storminsteve
08-19-2011, 07:05 PM
Yes, it will never end, time for y'all to take up golf. I will be helpful and offer you 5c on the dollar for any premium fishing gear you would like to get rid of - email me first at storminsteve at armageddon is near dot com:rolleyes:

bababooey
08-20-2011, 02:33 PM
Yes, it will never end, time for y'all to take up golf.

:rolleyes: Ho, ho, ho this I have to see. Finchaser playing golf. So what time is tee off, finchaser?:laugh: ;)

bababooey
08-20-2011, 10:02 PM
Ristori report -There was bad news today from the Capt. Dave out of Atlantic Highlands, as they saw dead adult bunkers floating all the way from Sandy Hook Bay to between the channels.
Die-offs of bunkers aren't unusual in oxygen-depleted waters during the summer, and this may have nothing to do with the algae bloom occuring along the coast at this time. Indeed, there have been bunker seiners working in the same areas, and this could also be the result of a spill. I'll have more information about this as it becomes available.

DarkSkies
08-21-2011, 11:30 AM
Finchaser playing golf. So what time is tee off, finchaser?:laugh: ;)

That has about as much a chance of happening as him taking an anger management class. :ROFLMAO :kooky: :HappyWave:

captnemo
08-21-2011, 01:46 PM
Baababooey, I don't know what caused it but we saw those dead bunker yesterday on the way out. Hundreds of them,. looked like they had been dead for awhile.

finchaser
08-21-2011, 07:45 PM
That has about as much a chance of happening as him taking an anger management class. :ROFLMAO :kooky: :HappyWave:

Hey I like miniature golf. I'll give you anger management:2flip: calm as can be

DarkSkies
08-22-2011, 10:29 PM
^^

Calm as can be????? :ROFLMAO

OK, here's the following scenario....
We're casting a movie, the Life and times of Finchaser! :cool:

Will the leading actor (playing you) be more like Sean Penn in Fast times at Ridgemont High.......

or more like Deniro in Goodfellas......? :argue:

finchaser
08-22-2011, 11:26 PM
Deniro

On a serious note hopefully Irene will stir things up and get rid of all this sh_t water. Fished Thursday and Saturday from boat and most places you could only see down less than a foot.

clamchucker
08-23-2011, 10:43 AM
Images from the NOAA satellite show a swirling blueish green blob stretching from Brooklyn past Sandy Hook all the way down to Cape May -- a distance of more than 100 miles.

I have friends fishing out of Ocean City NJ who are reporting this also, thanks for posting the article finchaser.

surfstix1963
08-23-2011, 02:44 PM
Maybe the upcoming storm-possible hurricane will disperse the mess.

Monty
08-24-2011, 07:17 AM

If this doesn't nothing will.:bigeyes:

vpass
08-24-2011, 04:06 PM
This will be a bad A$$ storm that going to hit us this weekend. Plus we are going to get hit with a front from the west around the same time that's going to stall. They said it will be the the worst storm in a life time. Quoted from the Weather Channel.

finchaser
08-24-2011, 11:52 PM
Depends whose life time I doubt it will beat the the Halloween storm that the movie perfect storm came from. We fished that morning just before it hit. I have tons of pictures from that one. Also have pictures of a storm forget the year that uncovered model T fords that were buried on the beach years ago to hold the sand in place in Mantaloking,NJ

baitstealer
08-27-2011, 08:14 PM

finchaser and surfstix. do you think this storm will take care of that algae?

ledhead36
08-23-2016, 06:16 PM
more dead bunker, all the freebies you guys want. Come and pick them up and freeze them you can get them by the bucket. clothes pins optional.
http://www.app.com/story/news/local/land-environment/enviroguy/2016/08/23/fish-kill-peanut-bunker-waackcaack-creek-keansburg/89194916/

surferman
08-24-2016, 08:35 AM
wow

fishinmission78
08-24-2016, 09:13 AM
Need a nor'easter to stir things up back there.

clamchucker
08-24-2016, 09:17 AM
It's a perfect combination of hot summer weather and no storm activity I agree. The water in many shallow areas is stagnant and has lower oxygen content because of the stable weather. there is oxygen towards the bottom so it doesn't affect the crabs. In the top of the water column is where the bunker usually congregate and that's one of the reasons they end up dying.

captnemo
08-25-2016, 02:56 PM
I stopped at a marina over there to see a friend at his slip. It still looks pretty bad.