PDA

View Full Version : Hows everyone doing so far?

surfstix1963
08-27-2011, 08:16 AM
Just checking in stay safe all hope you are prepared we are still waiting for an evacuation notice

DarkSkies
08-27-2011, 08:26 AM
Yeah, Surf, they're shutting parts of LI down.
Guess I won't be fishin up there today, missed my window...http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png..:kooky: :laugh:
Stay safe, this will be over before ya know it.....:HappyWave:

As a side question to this thread, has anyone been in their local Wal-Mart, Target, or home improvement store? They look like we had a nuclear disaster. :lynchmob:

surfstix1963
08-27-2011, 09:01 AM
I think we should be alright unless a tree goes down on the house & our camper is as stable as it can be @ 12,000 lbs. it may help it a bit, generator is ready to go gas cans are filled going to try and fill my other 40 lb. propane tank for the camper if my BIL gets his butt out of bed to lift it for me.Hang Tight All

jonthepain
08-27-2011, 01:31 PM
Irene pooped out at the last minute here in NC...talked to Mom last night, they didn't even evacuate the home, and they are right on the coast just N of Wilmington.

Max sustained winds around 80 mph and the only damage one pier and the end 30' of another.

Been watching the surf cams, and there are guys out there surfing it! cowabunga dude.

Been trying to call mom today, but power is out down there so no dice.

Here outside of Raleigh, some rain and wind is all. Maybe 30 mph. No worries.

I've been through several hurricanes, here and in NJ (disobeyed the evacuation of LBI and got to watch the eye go right over surf city back when I was 19!) but none were like the tornado that just missed me by a half a block last spring!

Well ok that one on LBI was close.

Here's a shot of Irene storm clouds approaching from our backyard last night...

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e248/jonthepain/Irenesunset800x.gif

good luck to all y'all up North. hope it doesn't pick back up.

jc

surfstix1963
08-27-2011, 01:38 PM
Good to hear Jon that there was'nt so much damage & I hope you get in touch with mom soon nice pic again BTW.

finchaser
08-27-2011, 06:19 PM
Spent the day after my fishing trip this AM (see reports) securing and pulling boats and tying things down.Everyone here who stayed is hankered down wind and heavy heavy rain and thunderstorms are here. Brick looks like a ghost town. Well everyone have no idea how long we will have power. JCPL(our power company) assured us there is a 99.99% chance we will not lose power.
My generator is readt got 35 gallons of gas and hoping for the best.
So to all my friends out there stay safe

GOB

Monty
08-27-2011, 07:02 PM
Hope everyone stays safe.
Surfstix when I see the predicted path you look in it?
Would be great if this puppy would just take a big right out to sea.

My neighbors yard may turn into a launching pad if we get real high winds:
http://rocksimpson.com/images/2011_8_27_N2.jpg

porgy75
08-27-2011, 07:50 PM
Holy cannoli he sure has a lot of stuff back there! If I had all that my wife would make me sell it in a garage sale. Stay safe everyone.

surfstix1963
08-27-2011, 08:11 PM
Hope he has insurance to pay for the damage all that stuff is going to fly into.yeah kind of hoping it veers east but not likely its such a wide storm as long as it keeps weakening I think it will be ok. Talked to Speedy before he just came off the roof :kooky::d I think he casted a plug up there to test swim it:laugh::laugh: Dark was trying to launch his kayak to go fishing:kooky: but said he missed his window??:laugh:Well stay safe all.

Monty
08-27-2011, 09:04 PM
Talked to Speedy before he just came off the roof :kooky::d I think he casted a plug up there to test swim it:laugh::laugh: Dark was trying to launch his kayak to go fishing:kooky: but said he missed his window??:laugh:
Well, this should not be surprising.........:kooky::kooky::kooky::kooky: :HappyWave:

finchaser
08-27-2011, 09:28 PM
Hope he has insurance to pay for the damage all that stuff is going to fly into.yeah kind of hoping it veers east but not likely its such a wide storm as long as it keeps weakening I think it will be ok. Talked to Speedy before he just came off the roof :kooky::d I think he casted a plug up there to test swim it:laugh::laugh: Dark was trying to launch his kayak to go fishing:kooky: but said he missed his window??:laugh:Well stay safe all.

Some times I think he fell out a window and hit his head.Winds are starting to blow now my wind meter at 49mph and that's spinning in torrential rain. just another day in paradise at the beach

surfstix1963
08-27-2011, 09:41 PM
The life of the beach and living on an island you never know what your going to get, started raining pretty heavy here now off and on no wind to speak of yet my dogs are starting to act weird though.

williehookem
08-27-2011, 10:08 PM
Hey lets be careful out there don't want anyone to get blown away.
I'm all safe and secure, and made sure the frosty beverages are easy to get to.

Monty
08-28-2011, 01:36 AM
Not a disaster but roof is leaking in a bunch of spots (already, what a time for leaks:kicknuts:). Bunch of Rubbermaid containers put in place in Attic to stop/delay the flood.
Leak in ceiling in one spot near a shower :banghead2:(drilled hole in ceiling and Rubbermaid container:idea:).
If anyone knows a roofer in the Fairfield NJ area please PM me (I be thinking they will be in high demand).
Would be a good time for a little drought after this storm.
:blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye:

surfstix1963
08-28-2011, 04:59 AM
That sux Monty we had ours done a couple of years ago my friend that just passed on in the accident did it I'm hoping he is looking over his work he was a commercial roofer by trade.

DarkSkies
08-28-2011, 08:15 AM
Monty, sorry to hear that. Wish I knew a roofer in your area.

If there's a break in the rain for a bit give me a call. I'll come up there with a tarp and we can at least minimize the leakage. We'll put it over and weigh it down so it doesn't blow off. I had to do that Fri for a roof, and so far nothing is leaking under the tarp.

surfstix1963
08-28-2011, 08:51 AM
I guess its pretty good there now with the wind if your going up on roofs sounds like a Speedy act.Still pretty windy here losing power off and on should be just about out of it in a couple hours Take care.

Monty
08-28-2011, 09:38 AM
Monty, sorry to hear that. Wish I knew a roofer in your area.

If there's a break in the rain for a bit give me a call. I'll come up there with a tarp and we can at least minimize the leakage. We'll put it over and weigh it down so it doesn't blow off. I had to do that Fri for a roof, and so far nothing is leaking under the tarp.

I guess its pretty good there now with the wind if your going up on roofs sounds like a Speedy act.Still pretty windy here losing power off and on should be just about out of it in a couple hours Take care.

Have a small steady leak from the ceiling (can actually direct the leak to the shower), attic leak is in different places but small (tarp and containers, under control). Dark had said may be because of the north eastern wind swept rain. Not big deal, messy and have to get fixed. We should be through this soon Surfstix, best of luck to you out there.
Thanks Dark!
Never lost power, but its been fluctuating since midnight.
Hope everyone got through it unscathed,

jigfreak
08-28-2011, 09:56 AM
Be careful fellas, maybe you want to wait awhile before climbing out on slippery roofs.
We didn't have much damage here in ocean, though some beach entrances are messed up. The sun is coming out, farewell to Irene.

bababooey
08-28-2011, 10:06 AM
Glad everyone is ok, we are too. monty don't listen to dark, he's a raving lunatic!

surfstix1963
08-28-2011, 12:02 PM
All good lost cable still have power no water in the basement windy thats about it.Got through this one but its only the beginning of hurricane season hopefully as the water cools it will send them offshore and the fish inshore.

jonthepain
08-28-2011, 04:31 PM
glad you all weathered the storm ok!

wtg.

surfstix1963
08-28-2011, 07:04 PM
good to hear everyone got through it in the future if you use oxygen or have a medical condition that requires breathing apparatus or any kind of life support etc. you can call your power co. and get on a list that requires them to repair your power as quickly as possible at least in NY check it out we called got a fax number from the power co. and were told to get a doctors note the dr.'s office faxed it in we ad our power back on in 5hrs. and thats damn quick in NY especially in this kind of situation just wanted to pass it on for future use.After it was turned on they called to make sure it was on.Naturally we did this when we first heard of the hurricane getting through to them would be quite hard during this so give a call and get on the list for the future.

jonthepain
08-28-2011, 09:09 PM
great advice stix!

surfstix1963
08-29-2011, 08:03 AM
Thanks Jon we just found out watching the news and my FIL is on oxygen and a nebulizer we have a genny but you never know when a mechanical failure may pop up.A land line although old fashion doesn't rely on electric is another handy item to have saves the cell phone for a little longer & my wife froze bottles of water so if the electric did go out she uses them to keep the refrigerator cooler for a little longer a packed refrig doesn't let cool air circulate and hurts more than it helps try and leave space between the items.If you have kids icing down a cooler with their drinks in it reduces them from opening the refrigerator door looking for what they want letting all the cold air out we all know how kids are I did it you did it and every kid will probably do it.Afterwards we are fortunate to have the camper so if need be we still could cook(we have 2-40 lb. propane bottles) and use the genny for power which also charges the batteries should we have to run off of them, basically a second home if something fell on the house and some extras the king size bed lol is nice along with the 2 recliners and couch which turns into a bed also.We hold 60 gallons of fresh water also which runs off the water pump.so we try and keep that away from all things that may render it useless.Just a few tips that may help out

bababooey
08-29-2011, 10:15 AM
All good advice surfstix, you can't be too careful when something like this happens. Glad everyone made out ok.

strikezone31
08-29-2011, 10:47 AM
We lost power for an hour, neighbors 1 mile away lost it for a day. It's like a lottery with the LIPA around here. Happy that most of us were fortunate.

surfstix1963
08-29-2011, 12:47 PM
yes it really tuned down alot the more it came on land.

cowherder
08-29-2011, 12:51 PM
Thank God.

speedy
08-29-2011, 02:00 PM
yes i am still here had no power from 6pm on sat till 12.30 on monday

TO ALL.... just happy every one is ok ........... speedy.....

stormchaser
08-29-2011, 02:07 PM
Glad to hear your power is back on, its scarey if your refrigerator is filled. What did you do with the food?

speedy
08-29-2011, 03:29 PM
Glad to hear your power is back on, its scarey if your refrigerator is filled. What did you do with the food?

the frig was full i taped in to the back up gen. i had a small light ,fan and my frig taped in...did what i had to do for my family

we have 220 units here they were told to get out but about 58 people do not go the first aid said you all are on your own
i bet i can right a book on how dum people are when it comes to safey with a storm . did what i could and what i see fit to do !!!!!!!!!!!

its over ....and done with.......

albiealert
08-29-2011, 03:31 PM
Glad you all made it through!

speedy
08-29-2011, 04:25 PM
Glad you all made it through!

me 2 bro it was hell but did it........

VSdreams
08-29-2011, 05:07 PM
. did what i could and what i see fit to do !!!!!!!!!!!

its over ....and done with.......

Did you have to kill anyone or b**** slap them?

finchaser
08-29-2011, 06:41 PM
Everything cleaned up back to normal so I guess it's just another day in paradise

Seems they dragged 2 dead mexicans out of Manasquan inlet today

surfstix1963
08-29-2011, 06:48 PM
2 less votes I'll leave my comment at that.

Monty
08-29-2011, 06:51 PM
Normal trip home from work 12-15 minutes. Took an hour and 45 minutes. Worst trip home in 14 years at this job. Even left early. Took 12 minutes to get to work in the morning. They had a check point that delayed traffic big time. Only allowing people who lived in Fairfield to enter the town. If not a resident they put all vehicles back on route 80. Looks like record flooding here. Lucky I am out of the flooding area.

When I got through the checkpoint took this pic:
http://rocksimpson.com/images/2011_8_29_Flood.jpg

When got home took this one (not flood related):
http://rocksimpson.com/images/2011_8_29_Kittens.jpg

rockhopper
08-30-2011, 06:29 AM
Wow, even living close to a flood area must be nerve-wracking sometimes. Glad all are safe. What is up with all those cats. Monty it looks like they are all trained like a circus act or something. What are they waiting for the afternoon feeding?

hookset
08-30-2011, 06:59 AM
Ha, you could rent your cats out for a meow mix commercial. I think we dodged a bullet on this hurricane. It could have been a lot worse.

speedy
08-30-2011, 07:12 AM
. What is up with all those cats. Monty it looks like they are all trained like a circus act or something. What are they waiting for the afternoon feeding?[/QUOTE]

they are going to higher ground lmao

jonthepain
08-30-2011, 06:58 PM
they are going to higher ground lmao

rofl you beat me to it that's exactly what i was thinking

speedy
08-31-2011, 08:35 AM
rofl you beat me to it that's exactly what i was thinking

lmao

DarkSkies
08-31-2011, 08:41 AM
What I wanna know is.....what happens if Monty or his wife forget to feed those cats, and they lose power?
Will they turn feral and pick your eyeballs out for breakfast? Will they pick your bones clean like piranhas? :scared: Or....will they just be nice kitties and lick your hands until ya feed them? :laugh: :HappyWave:

speedy
08-31-2011, 10:34 AM
put it to ya this way bro if some one is dead and has cats they will eat you lol