PDA

View Full Version : All around pattern

JustEd
08-28-2011, 02:54 PM
So here goes, I tie this in quite a few color combinations. It works well when Sand eels, spearing, or other small slender baits are running. If you tie it "heavy" it adapts to larger baits like Peanuts and mullet as well.
With the hook secured in the vise I wrap clean from the eye to the bend. There is a reason for this as you will see in upcoming photo's.
Here is the tail section tied in. The butt of the Grey bucktail is cut short to end in the area I want to build the head up.

I then wrap the excess hair tight back to where the head build up will begin. After knotting off, I then cover the thread with "Hard as Nails".
A measured piece of Mylar silver tinsle tubing Is tied off and is secured by the Hard as Nails to the built up under wrapped body section.
The white belly section tied in, just slightly shorter than the grey tail section.
Here I tied in a Lime Green mid back, I use many differant colors here. Notice that the head is taking shape.
Continued to another post, only allowing 6 file attachments.

JustEd
08-28-2011, 03:00 PM
Continuing
Here a small clump of Grey is tied in. I always use the same color as the tail on this step Head continues to take shape.
The flie is finished in this case with Black Bucktail. When using differant combinations of colors I always put the darkest on top, lightest/brightest on bottom.
Notice the head shape with its elongated snout. It mimicks several types of baitfish.
I tie this pattern in all white and all black, with combinations of 10 or 12 differant colors.
It catches...............................

Monty
08-28-2011, 03:42 PM
JustEd, great post. I'm going to tie up a few for sure.
Really like that you included a method to your madness.
Thanks!
All Bucktail, no feathers. Not a fan of feathers/hackle for this pattern?

JustEd
08-28-2011, 03:50 PM
Not for this pattern Monty, I do make quite a few others that utilize hackle. I like the way this one tracks in heavy current tied all hair.
A few other color combo's....

JustEd
08-28-2011, 03:54 PM
Better pic.....14124

surfstix1963
08-28-2011, 06:39 PM
Nice work Ed I like the bucktail also slims down nice in the water and holds up well marabou and hackle work well also but the marabou although it has great action doesn't hold up that well.

jigfreak
08-29-2011, 11:33 AM
nice tutorial

surferman
08-29-2011, 12:36 PM
Beautiful work I bet that is good for when all kinds of small bait is around.

stormchaser
08-29-2011, 02:11 PM
A measured piece of Mylar silver tinsle tubing Is tied off and is secured by the Hard as Nails to the built up under wrapped body section.

That should even hold up to a bluefish battering, cool.

JustEd
08-29-2011, 03:06 PM
With a casting egg, or clear casting float, it hammers Albies and Bonita as well.
It does hold up fairly well to toothy fish.
I have been tying this patern for about 40 years. In the beginning on small hook sizes to catch macks. I would run 3 or 4 on dropper loops above a Kastmaster or diamond jig.
It also works well above a Bucktail Jig for Fluke as well.
Above a large jig in deep water I have caught some nice Cod and Haddock when tied with 4/0, and 5/0 hooks.