PDA

View Full Version : RFA not happy with government and lets it be known

finchaser
09-06-2011, 11:10 AM
Recreational Fishing Alliance Contact: Jim Hutchinson, Jr. / 888-564-6732
For Immediate Release September 6, 2011

RFA SAYS "ENVIRONMENTAL ZEALOTS RULE DC"

Donofrio Gives Candid Interview To Soundings Trade Only

Don't miss an explosive interview (http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=hclmspcab&et=1107431063519&s=10015&e=001wg4cS4fFs52YzITu0Btc5TT8VZ0dXd5z27iwoxNZZwknj V5RkDRMuVKSlF7c-_1TQPx3kL_-p_xuUS0iynTSNfw33eocQ2pQkit5_OY-4ER2e9mAuPG169nqncIIIolEkpjjEZ5hL03Q9T4lFyfLW4F2C_ N71yROdAqIUpUz09YJBtKnlsbVZzOvscWEBMQO2kBvqj5KugSZ rXIlBvWXO878gjWsXYO2RTSjKExHM6-wDszW-v7SECo2H3M77iiC) with Recreational Fishing Alliance (RFA) executive director Jim Donofrio in the September, 2011 issue of Soundings Trade Only magazine.

[/URL]The business-to-business publication for marine industry professionals nationwide, Soundings Trade Only monthly magazine breaks news and explores it in depth, through features and columns which help boating professionals understand the news and events that are shaping the industry.

In an exclusive one-on-one interview with Soundings Trade Only's Beth Rosenberg, Donofrio shoots from the hip and let's it be known that he and the RFA are not happy about the current state of the political environment in Washington DC, the federal bureaucracy at NOAA, or even our own fishing and boating industry.

On President Obama:
"The Obama administration is the worst ever. There's never been anyone worse than Obama's administration because he's hired all the leadership from Environmental Defense (EDF) to work in NOAA."

On President Bush
"He started this problem with the environmental people. George Bush threw us to the wolves because he wanted to back off on the Clean Water Act, on the Clean Air Act, and he also wanted to back off on some of the drilling issues that were controversial, and because of that he gave EDF and Pew Environment Group the fisheries."

On the fishing and boating industry:
"The recreational fishing industry lacks real leadership. We have people that are more concerned with power, personal power, personal gain for their organizations rather than getting the job done and getting together in a unified voice and fixing the problem and getting us fishing again and getting the industry going again."

On NOAA Fisheries and NMFS:
"The National Marine Fisheries Service has actually done a horrible job of managing our fisheries. Their data is incomplete, it's inaccurate and it's being criticized by many members of Congress right now."

On political correctness:
"We don't have any principled leadership anymore. We feel we're the only group that does. And we're not politically correct. And if you have principles you're not going to be politically correct, and that's the problem."

Never one to shy away from a debate, RFA's Jim Donofrio speaks candidly, one-on-one with Soundings Trade Only on the state of the fishing and boating industry and what needs to be done to get Americans back on the water fishing and boating again. Industry professionals should be on the lookout for their copy of the September 2011 issue of Soundings Trade Only, arriving in mailboxes this week. To find out where to get your copy, call 800-444-7686.

You can also see the complete interview with Donofrio online at [URL="http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=hclmspcab&et=1107431063519&s=10015&e=001wg4cS4fFs53Da0YaP2q6eIcUEAVQ6B7YUB0ZVvIWau-WCxJ5q4zyI3N52ZorovriLhe8gCvYr-_nek662xJJNXTcAywTyYN1UdtHVA9sjIXO7fgWUgD0ig=="]www.tradeonlytoday.com (http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=hclmspcab&et=1107431063519&s=10015&e=001wg4cS4fFs52YzITu0Btc5TT8VZ0dXd5z27iwoxNZZwknj V5RkDRMuVKSlF7c-_1TQPx3kL_-p_xuUS0iynTSNfw33eocQ2pQkit5_OY-4ER2e9mAuPG169nqncIIIolEkpjjEZ5hL03Q9T4lFyfLW4F2C_ N71yROdAqIUpUz09YJBtKnlsbVZzOvscWEBMQO2kBvqj5KugSZ rXIlBvWXO878gjWsXYO2RTSjKExHM6-wDszW-v7SECo2H3M77iiC) or by clicking here (http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=hclmspcab&et=1107431063519&s=10015&e=001wg4cS4fFs52YzITu0Btc5TT8VZ0dXd5z27iwoxNZZwknj V5RkDRMuVKSlF7c-_1TQPx3kL_-p_xuUS0iynTSNfw33eocQ2pQkit5_OY-4ER2e9mAuPG169nqncIIIolEkpjjEZ5hL03Q9T4lFyfLW4F2C_ N71yROdAqIUpUz09YJBtKnlsbVZzOvscWEBMQO2kBvqj5KugSZ rXIlBvWXO878gjWsXYO2RTSjKExHM6-wDszW-v7SECo2H3M77iiC).

(See article at www.tradeonlytoday.com/component/content/article/15-general/515840-qaa-with-james-donofrio-rfa-executive-director (http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=hclmspcab&et=1107431063519&s=10015&e=001wg4cS4fFs52YzITu0Btc5TT8VZ0dXd5z27iwoxNZZwknj V5RkDRMuVKSlF7c-_1TQPx3kL_-p_xuUS0iynTSNfw33eocQ2pQkit5_OY-4ER2e9mAuPG169nqncIIIolEkpjjEZ5hL03Q9T4lFyfLW4F2C_ N71yROdAqIUpUz09YJBtKnlsbVZzOvscWEBMQO2kBvqj5KugSZ rXIlBvWXO878gjWsXYO2RTSjKExHM6-wDszW-v7SECo2H3M77iiC))

surfstix1963
09-06-2011, 01:33 PM
Great interview Bob good read and he is correct 4 more years with Obama and his administaration and we and alot of other businsses will be done for.Just what we don't need more unemployment,more empty buildings not paying taxes restrictions on fishing go way beyond just restrictions tackle & boat manufactures gone tackle shops & boat sales gone anything closely realated to the water will be gone and all will add to this country falling deeper in the crapper and we will pay more and more for all of that.This guy is like Hitler only he targets everyone if this continues our kids will see the biggest depression & highest unemployment this country has ever seen we cannot keep borrowing and raising the debt ceiling you don't take a loan to pay a loan common sense your getting deeper and deeper in debt.

finchaser
09-06-2011, 08:25 PM
it's ashame very few people read these ,see if i put up a post a guaranteed way to catch a bass

storminsteve
09-06-2011, 08:31 PM
On President Obama:
"The Obama administration is the worst ever. There's never been anyone worse than Obama's administration because he's hired all the leadership from Environmental Defense (EDF) to work in NOAA."

On the fishing and boating industry:
"The recreational fishing industry lacks real leadership. We have people that are more concerned with power, personal power, personal gain for their organizations rather than getting the job done and getting together in a unified voice and fixing the problem and getting us fishing again and getting the industry going again."

On NOAA Fisheries and NMFS:
"The National Marine Fisheries Service has actually done a horrible job of managing our fisheries. Their data is incomplete, it's inaccurate and it's being criticized by many members of Congress right now."

On political correctness:
"We don't have any principled leadership anymore. We feel we're the only group that does. And we're not politically correct. And if you have principles you're not going to be politically correct, and that's the problem."

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping: Donofrio tells it like it is, no ********! Great thread finchaser.

williehookem
09-06-2011, 08:50 PM
Truth

surfstix1963
09-07-2011, 08:09 AM
I hear what your saying Bob
it's ashame very few people read these ,see if i put up a post a guaranteed way to catch a bass

DarkSkies
09-07-2011, 09:12 AM
"Everyone" is interested in the how or where of catching a 50, but so few are interested in hearing how to keep the number and strength of that trophy class going for the future.

That's the reality we face, here and in almost every fishing situation. Historically, 10% of the fishermen do 90% of the work to protect and preserve the species. As Donofrio said, there are too many side agendas out there, and fishermen have historically been reluctant to support many fishing organizations en masse. It's the same guys who get involved all the time, has been that way since they marshalled forces to get the bunker boats pushed back a bit from where they were.

Then, there are those who pick apart the agendas of groups of the RFA and won't support them because they feel they don't represent all of their interests. :huh:

I suggest to those people, suppose we eliminate groups like the RFA and other fishermen advocacy groups tomorrow.......

Where would be be then? :don't know why:

Monty
09-07-2011, 10:03 AM
Well we are all allowed our own opinions.
Here's mine.
I agree with what Donofrio says, big time. really truthful in this interview. From slamming Obama to slamming Bush, they both deserve it.
From what I have read, I believe that the RFA is not committed enough in preserving fishing stocks. I do not have time to read everything, but thats my current view form what I have read. I do not support the RFA any more. Dark this is in direct opposition to your view, but thats the way it is.
I am so sick of compromising, lobbyists, all the political crap, self serving clowns (nothing against good clowns), its screwing this country up big time.

finchaser
09-07-2011, 03:43 PM
Monty
Sorry you feel that way but the RFA is the best we have . JCAA is totally useless and has strayed away from the original setup it was designed for, when we started it back in the 80's. On many issues they are clueless and go with the flow and then change there mind at last second. JCAA then try and take the credit for something after it passes( example free registry). They promote no conservation of any kind. The JCAA without consulting any clubs for a vote took it upon themselves to say there are more bass than ever going against everyone and are responsible for stopping new regulations for Striped bass.. His statement will allow the needless slaughter of big breeders ,also the trophy tag will stay in effect.The new legislation if passed would have allowed the killing of one large fish per person not 3. If you want to stop supporting something make it JCAA

Monty
09-08-2011, 07:19 AM
If you want to stop supporting something make it JCAA
I don't support the JCAA. We discussed this (RFA) a few years ago and I did support the RFA for a year or two after listening (reading your views), I appreciate you sharing your views/opinions.
While reading about commercials illegally taking bass makes me angry, also seeing pictures of charter boats with four guys with three 20# + bass each makes me just as angry. So yes, I agree with you and Dark that I am being short sighted, I in no way want to be on the same side as those charter boats (and for that matter some surf fishing guys who kill way more bass than they should). I understand the position that there are no better alternatives, like I mentioned I have had it up the wazzo with compromising, sick of it, there is a right way and wrong way, to me in the middle is wrong to many times.

DarkSkies
09-08-2011, 12:43 PM
Well we are all allowed our own opinions.
I do not support the RFA any more. Dark this is in direct opposition to your view, but thats the way it is.
I am so sick of compromising, lobbyists, all the political crap, self serving clowns (nothing against good clowns), its screwing this country up big time.

Monty. I'm glad there are people here who don't agree with me. :HappyWave:

I try to stay informed more than the average fisherman. Some of this stuff has a compelling interest to me.

I can't always be aware of everything, and at times my position might not be the best or the most rational. That's why I'm glad you and others here voice a contrary opinion whenever you feel the need to. :thumbsup:

Becoming involved in fisheries mangagment as a fisherman and end-user taught me that the political arena is filled with compromises.
Some examples:

!. In the striped bass gamefish hearings I attended in MA, I saw up-close how people have different agendas, and at times will not represent their constituents unless they're afraid they will lose an election because of it. These politicians pretend to have an interest because that's what we want to hear, and they know if the numbers are big enough they need the support.
In the end there is compromise on all sides. Fishermen never get all the things they are asking for, and have to be content with what is worked out at the bargaining table.
That's the reality of the political process. It is what it is.

2. Compromise makes the world go around.
I know you remember my behavior from 5 or 6 years ago. I wouldn't compromise on anything, and found that when trying to explain the ideals I had to people, I wasn't getting across to them. I had to learn that because you feel an idea is right, others may not feel the same way unless you are able to inform them of the facts. Although you have correctly stated that this sucks, it is the ability to compromise that helps some of us get things done.
I still agree with you., but at the end of the day I would rather have made some progesss through compromise, than made no progress because my ideals were too rigid.

3. Politics makes strange alliances-
I went with G to the March on Washington. I did this to show support for all fishermen, even though I mostly fish the surf and really had no vested interest in the agenda that was pushed down there.

Lo and behold, the Comm fishermen there outnumbered the Rec guys. I know people still call that march a success, but I was there to see the true numbers. Without the Comm guys that march would have been a joke in Washington, a "blip"on the radar screen of the events of that day.
The bottom line is...so few fishermen are williing to support causes that we need to accept help from just about any group that offers as long as it is not connected with PETA or PEW.

This sucks, and is extremely distasteful to me. It's no secret the battles I have had with Comm fishermen on internet discussion boards. It sickens me the violations some of them get away with on a regular basis. I do everything I can to raise awareness of those violations. Yet, in Washington, without their support, that march would have been a dismal failure. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png

4 The RFA has been frequently criticized as being more in the corner of charters, etc, and less concerned with conservation.
I'll go along with that, Monty.
The thing is, large numbers are needed to get things done. and most guys who fish casually are not willing to get involved. It's the guys who have a vested interest (ie. they will lose their jobs or business) who are most likely to get involved.
So, yes. these groups may be more represented...
But whose fault is that....that of the RFA or of the lack of participation by various other fishermen groups? :don't know why:

, also seeing pictures of charter boats with four guys with three 20# + bass each makes me just as angry. So yes, I agree with you and Dark that I am being short sighted, I in no way want to be on the same side as those charter boats (and for that matter some surf fishing guys who kill way more bass than they should). I understand the position that there are no better alternatives, like I mentioned I have had it up the wazzo with compromising, sick of it, there is a right way and wrong way, to me in the middle is wrong to many times.

I have my own personal views about that too, Monty. You and I have had several conversations about that privately. Those here who know me know my views and where I feel we should be headed.

However, I want to point out to you and the folks who may read this that the law is the law. If someone keeps their limit of striped bass, even if they go out several times a week, they are not breaking any laws.

I prefer to address that issue by lobbying for a slot limit, or reduced catch limits for striped bass. I feel that's the best way to go about things.

I also try to raise awareness in people about the Coast-wide decline in the striped bass biomass, in direct contrast to the mis-guided statements by the JCAA and others who simply refuse to see what most of us are seeing in front of us...

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?7784-StripersandAnglers-yearly-coastwide-fish-stock-assessment-state-of-the-fishery.

DarkSkies
09-08-2011, 12:44 PM
Monty
Sorry you feel that way but the RFA is the best we have . JCAA is totally useless and has strayed away from the original setup it was designed for, when we started it back in the 80's. On many issues they are clueless and go with the flow and then change there mind at last second. JCAA then try and take the credit for something after it passes( example free registry). They promote no conservation of any kind. The JCAA without consulting any clubs for a vote took it upon themselves to say there are more bass than ever going against everyone and are responsible for stopping new regulations for Striped bass.. His statement will allow the needless slaughter of big breeders ,also the trophy tag will stay in effect.The new legislation if passed would have allowed the killing of one large fish per person not 3. If you want to stop supporting something make it JCAA

Monty, and others, don't just take my word for it, educate yourselves.
Although I joke about Fin being an old grouchy basstard, he has lived through the moratorium, and fished before and after.

He and Joe Mellillo were some of the original founding members of the JCAA, back when not many got involved.

As such, some might question his agenda. Could there be some sort of jealousy?

I assure you and others, there is no agenda here on Fin's part except for a fierce love of striped bass because of the enjoyment he gets from catching them. He and some of the other old-timers here have lived through times when even in the height of the season there were few bass to be caught.

They don't feel it is fair to be put through that again. As many of them are older, they see the fishing declining. They feel they may not live long enough to see the bass on the rise again with the great numbers we had coming out of the 80's.

So, the agenda, if there is any, is that they are fiercely trying to protect the resource which they feel was hard enough to nurture back to health, and is now showing signs of decline.

Some of them feel, why should we have to go through this again? :don't know why: http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon8.png
And some of them, are angry that many of us don't seem to care.

Hope that explains it a little better.

Monty, I hope you and others who read this will consider changing your opinion.
I can't make ya's do that.
The bottom line is that whatever your opinion is, I will defend your right to say it, and try to see your side of things, as I usually do.

I can only ask you to re-examine the hard facts we are faced with here,. and the fact that we do need a group to represent us,. whether we feel it fits our needs perfectly, or not. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.png

Thanks for reading, people....

finchaser
09-08-2011, 09:14 PM
:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

captnemo
09-09-2011, 11:46 AM
So, yes. these groups may be more represented...
But whose fault is that....that of the RFA or of the lack of participation by various other fishermen groups? :don't know why:

Well-said. Just like the 10% of fishermen catch 90% of the fish, it also holds that 10% (or less) of fishermen actually get involved in standing up. I support the RFA because I am busy and don't have a lot of time to go to rallys and such. I do want someone to do that on my behalf, though, and as finchaser and dark pointed out, if not them, who? And the Jcaa, as far as I have seen lately, is an ineffective political pac who's in bed with too many adversaries. I don't know who's side they represent any more, they have flip-flopped on so many issues.

dogfish
09-09-2011, 11:52 AM
Don't believe anything connected with PEW. The conflict of interest in some of those appointments stinks.

surferman
09-09-2011, 12:06 PM
He sounds like a very outspoken guy.