PDA

View Full Version : How do you approach fishing when the wind direction is constantly changing?

porgy75
09-06-2011, 05:42 PM
Yesterday for a good part it was from the east, then it changed to the south, and then the north. What is the best way to fish a situation like that, I felt so frustrated.:huh:

ledhead36
09-06-2011, 07:28 PM
The direction and strength of the wind can be challenging. To become more experienced take some time learning how to fish each direction and the different wind speeds. Then you will be more prepared to change styles with the wind.

finchaser
09-06-2011, 08:14 PM
Plugs and metal, bait doesn't always cut it then again I never use it and have been know to catch a fish or 2. Don't give up practice makes perfect there is allot more to catching fish then cell phones and INTERNET reports. Many reports and post are written by people who are clueless one in particular is a so called guide. You'll do just fine keep your chin up.

DarkSkies
09-07-2011, 08:49 AM
Listen to Fin, Porgy, he's been at it a long time and pays attention to the little nuances and shifts in weather patterns that put the fish on the feed.

I would also add that as you get more experience you get to know where you should be, or where it's fishable, for each wind pattern. Then you choose your location based on past experience. That will help you to use your time more efficiently out there.

You should have a place where you can go to when the wind is hard from the S, hard from the W, hard from the N/NW, and hard from the N. You should have these places as your primary destination whenever you have that wind.

For a strong E wind, in NJ, there is not much to do but find a sheltered place in the back where fish are hunkered down until that storm pattern passes.

A key to success when the weather is less than optimal is also the amount of bait, and water clarity. Strength of one of these factors can triumph over the other, but in my experience when both of those factors are poor, the fishing will also be poor. The best fishing for a fall pattern is when the bait is consistently pushed out of the inlets and down the beaches. For our NJ area, this happens most consistently when you have a series of N/NW winds for a few days and nights in a row.