PDA

View Full Version : Where to gaff when fishing off of a jetty ?

madcaster
09-16-2011, 07:54 PM
Example: You’re bringing in in a short and there no way of reaching the leader or the fish. Where is the best place to gaff it so it will survive the hook?

buckethead
09-17-2011, 08:22 PM
If you are into catch and release than using a gaff is not an option, especially on a short.

fishinmission78
09-18-2011, 09:05 AM
Yeah madcaster, if you are bringing in a short fish you really shouldn't be using a gaff on them. No offfense, I'm just agreeing with what buckethead said. I have seen guys do that, but that's because they usually don't know what they are doing, If you are gaffing a big keeper and want to release it, I have seen some gaff it through the lips, that is kind of acceptable.
But with a short fish you should be able to control it.
You said you had no way of reaching the leader, or the fish?
I fish the jetty at IBSP a lot, an the rocks are jagged and slippery. First of all i would recommend Korkers so you can move around on all of them. Then, when you get your fish, look at the wave action, and let the waves take him to you. Then, look for a flat rock that is at the lowest point to the water without getting washed off. Get to that rock and you will have no problem landing your fish. Hope this helps, good luck.

surfstix1963
09-18-2011, 10:08 AM
What they said the first thing you should look for is a safe landing spot when you start fishing that you can safely get the fish and yourself to and wear korkers w/o waders, although I am not an advocate of gaffing any fish an alternative is a lip gripper when you get the fish to the safe landing spot if you still cannot reach.