PDA

View Full Version : Pork Help

Monty
09-19-2011, 06:15 PM
When adding pork to a bucktail what are the guidelines for the length?
Like how far past the hair does/should the pork go? Any guidelines.

dogfish
09-20-2011, 02:17 AM
I don't know about others, but my guidelines are whatever I happen to have handy at the moment. I have always used uncle josh, most of the stores carry it in 4" and 5". This is America, choose whatever ya want. Make sure you buy the split tail ones, it gives better flutter action. Good luck

surfstix1963
09-20-2011, 06:02 PM
Yeah I don't get too crazy with guidelines I wouldn't go past the 5" if anything I like the bucktail hair shorter so the rind gets more action.

jigfreak
09-22-2011, 12:35 AM
If you fish structure, bridges, etc you want them as long as possible for the flutter. 6" is good, you can get them even longer on the internet.

The thing you want to do with bucktails is keep them moving and impart your own action. The weight is very important. If you fish areas with current you should change up with the tide and toss them out so you can work them with the current flow. You want to be bouncing on the bottom but not digging in to it. The action you give to them can be consistent rod raises, or variable, but remember it is you that is giving it the action, and you will land more fish.

storminsteve
05-04-2012, 03:00 PM
You want to be bouncing on the bottom but not digging in to it. The action you give to them can be consistent rod raises, or variable, but remember it is you that is giving it the action, and you will land more fish.

Very good advice jigfreak. I have been using bucktails a lot more this year and they have gotten some nice fish. Without a rind or grub they are useless. Although I remember dark told me one night they wanted just the bucktail and not anythign else so you really have to experiment.

finchaser
05-05-2012, 09:23 AM
I like 2 to 3 inches as much as 5 if your replicating large sand eels

finchaser
05-05-2012, 09:25 AM
Very good advice jigfreak. I have been using bucktails a lot more this year and they have gotten some nice fish. Without a rind or grub they are useless. Although I remember dark told me one night they wanted just the bucktail and not anythign else so you really have to experiment.

He probably ate the pork rind when he ran out of pork roll on one of his 72 hour I caught a fish marathons

rip316
05-05-2012, 11:49 AM
He probably ate the pork rind when he ran out of pork roll on one of his 72 hour I caught a fish marathons

He buys them from the Iraqi's at the Wilson Ave. Deli. Put the pork roll on the hooks kinda like the clambrela rig. same theory. lmao.

DarkSkies
05-05-2012, 12:58 PM

He buys them from the Iraqi's at the Wilson Ave. Deli. Put the pork roll on the hooks kinda like the clambrela rig. same theory. lmao.

Now I gotta get my balls busted in stereo? :laugh:
You two should pair up and put on a comedy road show....a regular Abbott and Costello team,,,,:moon:

I have to admit that was funny, though...thanks for the laughs.....
:HappyWave:And BTW, pork rind can be a valuable food source if you ever get lost in the wilds out there somewhere.....:ROFLMAO

storminsteve
05-06-2012, 09:15 PM
^ Pork rind for food, are you sure you aren't part Spanish, dark?