PDA

View Full Version : S&A Education Series: False Albacore migration, East Coast

DarkSkies
09-29-2011, 10:06 PM
There has been so much mis-information out there about False Albacore lately, I felt compelled to rebut some of that. I'll try to lay out how it happens, for some of the folks just learning about them.

Copyright Stripers and Anglers, www.stripersandanglers.com (http://www.stripersandanglers.com/) 2011
The internet chatter is inane, from ill-conceived comments like "last year I had them every day, 2 weeks in a row, they will be here any day now" :kooky: to "what we need is a noreaster to push some clear water in and start up the bite".

I'm not really looking to hang anyone out to dry, but when folks put this info out as fact, it sometimes allows folks to keep passing along this mis-information. I feel that does a disservice to people who really want to learn some true facts.

So in hopes of helping to educate and help folks understand this beautiful pelagic fish, I put together this thread as part of a continuing series.

Many thanks to Finchaser, Surfwalker, Vpass and a few anonymous others, who were kind enough to pass along their thoughts for this thread. :clapping: :thumbsup: I would like to thank the people out there who I have these obsessive conversations with ... for without them these threads would be a lot less interesting. I may sometimes forget to name you all, but as opportunity presents itself, I'll try.

DarkSkies
09-29-2011, 10:10 PM
We have a thread here, which I'll cross reference, and also insert this thread in that one...
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?3663-All-about-False-Albacore-(Albies)-and-Bonito&highlight=false+albacore

DarkSkies
09-30-2011, 12:01 AM
I've thought about some of the key factors, and will briefly touch on them here. There are just my experiences and observations.
It depends on what your experience is, and where/how you fish for them....
so feel free to add or help in this thread by weighing in with your opinion.

For some of the ones listed below, they're geared mostly to the appearance of albies in the surf.
Others can be applied universally.
I think it's safe to say that of the first 3, you can have one without the other.
However, if any 2 conditions are less than optimal, you can probably say the Fall Season will have a poor showing of them for most surf and inshore locations.

Here they are in order of importance:

1. High concentrations of bait - Primary areas -It can probably be said that the most albacore will probably be found where the bait concentrations are highest. These places are usually points, the front if inlets, rip areas where bait is pushed out from a river or inlet. Secondary areas are back bay areas that offer access to abundant food (small forage fish) and safety of deeper water for their retreat. Thus, you will have them in some "back bay" areas in NJ that have easy access to the ocean, but as a rule they will only go so far in the "back" in search of food. The LI Sound is a special case as it has high concentrations of food, plenty of deep water, and gradual access to the ocean.

2. Optimal Water Temps - 60 to 80 is said to be the temp range they feed in. They can tolerate colder water, but in the fall, for the East Coast, as the temp drops to 60, they generally move on to warmer water.

3. Water Clarity - It's been said that albacore will not tolerate sandy or dirty water. Often when you have storms you will see them right outside the dirty water line where it's clear. This is not absolute as some members here have caught them in dirtier water. However, it's a good rule of thumb to remember that they prefer cleaner water.

4. Salinity - This should be looked at in addition to clarity. Storm runoff of fresh water can definitely affect their presence.

5. Weather and Storms - Again, severe storms have a tendency to dislocate the bait from the usual pattern and muddy up the water, and will affect whether you see them or not.

6. Tide Stage - They like moving water. Often you will do better catching them on a stronger running tide, or at the faster stages of the tide.

7. Access to deep water - as mentioned, you can sometimes find them in harbors or bays if the bait and water clarity is to their liking, but as a rule they do not venture into too many places without nearby access to deep water.

Because of the above factors, it is safe to assume that when they show up in a location and stay for a while, it is usually because the bait concentrations are the highest in that area.

Additionally, their presence, if sustained, can indicate a possible robust surf run for that location, as by their presence they are indicating high amounts of small forage.

This in turn, is good for all the predators that we look for in the Fall surf runs. :learn:

clamchucker
10-01-2011, 02:11 PM
Nicely done, dark skies. I don't know if we will see them this year. They usually make an appearance at IBSP by this time. A friend caught one in Sept, but I have not seen them since. They are a magnificent fish to target. Let's be careful if we do catch them as they cannot survive if kept out of the water for more than a few seconds. Good luck and good posts.

DarkSkies
09-27-2013, 01:36 PM
Because of the above factors, it is safe to assume that when they show up in a location and stay for a while, it is usually because the bait concentrations are the highest in that area.

Additionally, their presence, if sustained, can indicate a possible robust surf run for that location, as by their presence they are indicating high amounts of small forage.

This in turn, is good for all the predators that we look for in the Fall surf runs. :learn:

I wrote this back in 2011. The opposite of this can also have meaning:
1. If there is a lack of small bait as compared to previous years, it could be a poor showing, if they do show up at all.

2. If the concentrations of small bait are more dense offshore, there is less likelihood that they will come in to the surf zone.

3. One of the early indicators of quantity and saturation (Albacore/square mile of water) is if the party boats start reporting them.

So far, in 2013, many of you have reported here,. that there is a higher concentration of small bait offshore.
The party boats are not really reporting any numbers when they are near shore (IE Mudhole) jigging bluefish.

I keep getting albacore reports texted to me every day, where "friends of friends" caught one....yet there are no pics accompanying that report.
Sorry to be so negative, but I am trying to be realistic and logical. I am highly skeptical of the reports I have been getting, and consider most of them not to be valid.

As Finchaser and some others here have pointed out so clearly, there is not much reason for them to be in our surf zone right now. Additionally, the seasonal ocean temperature is a few degrees colder than it usually is this time of year....

I can't predict the future...I'm sure some will be caught.
I can hypothesize, that based on the conditions we now have, which are non-conducive for them to be in the surf, that if they do show up, it will be a very short window to catch them....and this "run" that everyone is praying for this year...will be over in the blink of any eye.....

**Again, this is just my opionion, and based on current conditions in NJ....referring to the likelihood of albacore being prevalent in our surf, for the 2013 season.
Anyone who would like to add to this, feel free....:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
09-15-2014, 08:22 AM
Albacore 2014 -

There were few signs of them around Labor Day, when they traditionally show up in NJ/ LI....moving forward, they appeared like gangbusters the last few days......hitting some well-known areas, open beaches, and even in some inlets as well....

Thought some might like to add some thoughts here....about migration and their appearance this year relative to the other years....
Thanks......:HappyWave:

BassBuddah
09-15-2014, 09:03 AM
They sometimes show up at Montauk before labor day. Another good place they have been known to congregate when they come in from offshore is the north fork around orient point and the rhode island side of the sound. It all depends on what the whitebait status is like that year. I think this will be a good year for them on LI. There are some positive reports here so far.

DarkSkies
09-22-2015, 07:24 AM
Seems like the RI to MA area is the place to be this Fall for the best shots at action.

a. They have also been showing up in or near some NJ and LI inlets.
b. Every year is different.

Something I posted yesterday:

A friend of mine made 2 trips to the RI area last week. One morning I talked to him, and he was depressed. Then by the end of the day he had landed 5 and dropped a few others. Takes a lot of dedication and perseverance to do that. It's been similar in the MA canal area as well. One day a friend who lives there calls to tell you about the great bite. You make the 5 hour drive and find out that the weather changed and they're off the previous feeding pattern. It's a lot of driving and guessing to chase fish. It's always easier if you're a local.

What do you do if there are not many fish in your area at that moment? Lots of people, to be successful, are turning to nomad fishing.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ng-to-the-Fish (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?9254-Nomad-Fishing-Travelling-to-the-Fish)
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...-Nomad-fishing (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?7866-LI-Sound-Nomad-fishing)
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...he-road-fishin (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?3857-The-life-of-a-nomad-tips-for-on-the-road-fishin)

Once there is a bit of a pattern it becomes a little easier.

I salute anyone who can drive to a place 3 states away, twice in one week. The albie action up there is a lot better than here at this moment. Still sporadic, though, no guarantees. The thrill of catching one or a few...can be very addictive.....I completely understand that compulsion....:drool: :HappyWave:

If anyone has anything else to add, feel free.

jigfreak
09-23-2015, 09:29 PM
I had a few shots at them before this crappy wind. Didn't report because I didn't catch just watched them break water too far out of casting range. My theory is they like cleaner water. Maybe thats why they key in to that rhody and massachusetts water I heard the water is crystal clear up there.
I say when this water cleans up a bit they wlll be back with a vengeance. Tons of bait around and water still in their temperature range.