PDA

View Full Version : S&A Education Series: Bigger Bluefish and Importance to the Inshore Striped Bass Fis

DarkSkies
09-30-2011, 10:31 AM
S&A Education Series, Bigger Bluefish and Iimportance to the Inshore Striped Bass Fishery

Some folks could care less about bluefish. Their prime focus is striped bass, and they have no interest in hearing about, catching, or fighting big bluefish, preferring to think of them as a nuisance fish. :mad:

Then, when the bassing is slow, you hear the very same folks begging for some bluefish action....

I started this thread as part of our continuing education series at www.stripersandanglers.com (http://www.stripersandanglers.com) to help educate those out there who aren't aware of the role these bluefish play in the migration and success of our inshore fishery.
Copyright Stripers and Anglers, www.stripersandanglers.com (http://www.stripersandanglers.com/) 2011

Many thanks to Finchaser, the Old Farts Fishing Club, Surfwalker, Surfstix , and a few anonymous others, who were kind enough to pass along their thoughts for this thread. :clapping: :thumbsup: I would like to thank the people out there who I have these obsessive conversations with ... for without them these threads would be a lot less interesting. I may sometimes forget to name you all, but as opportunity presents itself, I'll try.

DarkSkies
09-30-2011, 10:40 AM
A few thing to consider here...

1. Striped bass, as they get bigger, become inherently lazy. They won't chase after a forage fish for too long unless it's frenzied blitz fishing where the bait is balled up (like bunker, herring, or mullet) and the dynamics change.

Otherwise, the bigger a bass gets, the more it learns to conserve energy. We frequently hear of all the bunker schools with "nothing underneath them". :huh: That may appear to be true in many cases. However, I can assure you folks that even when it appears bunker and large forage fish aren't being harassed, there are always a few extremely large and lazy bass leisurely following the schools. They pick off a fish or 2 every day, and then sink to the bottom to conserve energy. We know this because the bunker netters almost always manage tp pick up a few bass in the nets.

2. Bluefish, especially the larger ones 10lbs and bigger, are some of the most savage killing machines, other than sharks, on the East Coast. They are not as dumb and lazy as some have characterized them. They are impulsive and full of frenetic energy except when the water is cold. this energy propels them to eat more, even when they are full. They wantonly slice through bait schools as they bite chunks out of their quarry.

3. When there are bluefish, there are other predators following in their wake. From Striped bass, weakfish, dogfish, bluefin tuna, and countless varieties of forage fish, there are many species that benefit from the bluefish rampages across the waters, sometimes defined as blitzes.

4. The bluefish spur other species into action, and are at times connected with the general health and growth of other populations. This is where fisheries management sometimes doesn't measure up, as in the past it has failed to take these inter-relationships into account when looking at biomass growth or decline.

clamchucker
09-30-2011, 06:57 PM
4. The bluefish spur other species into action, and are at times connected with the general health and growth of other populations. This is where fisheries management sometimes doesn't measure up, as in the past it has failed to take these inter-relationships into account when looking at biomass growth or decline...

I could not agree with you more dark skies. As to the fisheries management aspect, they have had their head in their butts for years. They take credit for the striped bass comeback, yet they knew the bass were declining for at least 5 years in the late 70's before they imposed the moratorium. In my opinion part of the problem is they do not have enoough feedback from folks who fish, and at times they have replaced the civilian fishermen on their boards with scientists. If they would listen to actual fishermen instead of trying to rule from their ivory towers, we might get somewhere.

DarkSkies
04-20-2012, 08:28 AM
Further thoughts.....

5. Without big bluefish present in the inshore fishery, the chances of a good spring or fall run relative to that coastal area decline accordingly. For example, in NJ for 2009 and 2010 we have had a decline in areas where striped bass are available to the inshore and surf angler. Some of that is due to shifting bass migration patterns, or changing bait migration. I also believe some of that can be attributed to shifting bluefish migration. The NJ bluefish that traditionally blanketed our coast are now most abundant 10-80 miles offshore.

Someone mentioned to me the other day that they thought the bluefish numbers were down, because they weren't seeing the big ones in the surf, only small snappers and tailor blues. What they may not have realized is that in offshore tuna fishing trips, Captains cannot get away from the big bluefish, there are so many. They are instantly covered up by big blues the minute they lay out their trolling spread.

6. If you want to make the case that bluefish migration has shifted offshore, why is that not consistent for all the coastal states? For example, off the coast of LI and the deeper channels of the NY Bight, there have been bigger bluefish all summer.
Something has happened that's causing them to avoid the coast and surf of NJ in the numbers that used to be here. I can't scientifically explain that other than to offer the possibility that there is more food offshore. This may have lured them out, and be the reason they aren't coming back in.

7. To add to this confusion, a lot of NJ inshore and beach structure has recently changed for the worse. This could realistically have affected their migrational movements.

In summary, we NEED these bigger bluefish to complement a healthy Spring or Fall run. Things are not as robust without them.

I know I didn't cover all the factors in these paragraphs, so please feel free to weigh in with your opinions here. Thanks....

VSdreams
04-14-2013, 07:27 PM
Searching through the older threads. Fantastic read dude thank you.

7deadlyplugs
04-14-2013, 07:34 PM
A few thing to consider here...

1. Striped bass, as they get bigger, become inherently lazy. They won't chase after a forage fish for too long unless it's frenzied blitz fishing where the bait is balled up (like bunker, herring, or mullet) and the dynamics change.

Otherwise, the bigger a bass gets, the more it learns to conserve energy. We frequently hear of all the bunker schools with "nothing underneath them". :huh: That may appear to be true in many cases. However, I can assure you folks that even when it appears bunker and large forage fish aren't being harassed, there are always a few extremely large and lazy bass leisurely following the schools. They pick off a fish or 2 every day, and then sink to the bottom to conserve energy. We know this because the bunker netters almost always manage tp pick up a few bass in the nets.

2. Bluefish, especially the larger ones 10lbs and bigger, are some of the most savage killing machines, other than sharks, on the East Coast. They are not as dumb and lazy as some have characterized them. They are impulsive and full of frenetic energy except when the water is cold. this energy propels them to eat more, even when they are full. They wantonly slice through bait schools as they bite chunks out of their quarry.

3. When there are bluefish, there are other predators following in their wake. From Striped bass, weakfish, dogfish, bluefin tuna, and countless varieties of forage fish, there are many species that benefit from the bluefish rampages across the waters, sometimes defined as blitzes.

4. The bluefish spur other species into action, and are at times connected with the general health and growth of other populations. This is where fisheries management sometimes doesn't measure up, as in the past it has failed to take these inter-relationships into account when looking at biomass growth or decline.

A wealth of info here ds thank you for posting!

storminsteve
04-14-2013, 08:16 PM
No matter how you slice it I like catching them. Dark I know I bust you about your page long posts. Not this one, it was good.

DarkSkies
05-19-2014, 11:02 AM
Sorry didn't see this till now, Steve. Thanks for the kind words. If anyone has anything else to add to this thread, feel free. :HappyWave:

nitestrikes
05-19-2014, 11:30 AM
Further thoughts.....

5. Without big bluefish present in the inshore fishery, the chances of a good spring or fall run relative to that coastal area decline accordingly. For example, in NJ for 2009 and 2010 we have had a decline in areas where striped bass are available to the inshore and surf angler. Some of that is due to shifting bass migration patterns, or changing bait migration. I also believe some of that can be attributed to shifting bluefish migration. The NJ bluefish that traditionally blanketed our coast are now most abundant 10-80 miles offshore.

Someone mentioned to me the other day that they thought the bluefish numbers were down, because they weren't seeing the big ones in the surf, only small snappers and tailor blues. What they may not have realized is that in offshore tuna fishing trips, Captains cannot get away from the big bluefish, there are so many. They are instantly covered up by big blues the minute they lay out their trolling spread.

6. If you want to make the case that bluefish migration has shifted offshore, why is that not consistent for all the coastal states? For example, off the coast of LI and the deeper channels of the NY Bight, there have been bigger bluefish all summer.
Something has happened that's causing them to avoid the coast and surf of NJ in the numbers that used to be here. I can't scientifically explain that other than to offer the possibility that there is more food offshore. This may have lured them out, and be the reason they aren't coming back in.

I know I didn't cover all the factors in these paragraphs, so please feel free to weigh in with your opinions here. Thanks....

2 very good points. I think you covered it thoroughly. The only thing I would add is the bluefish hit all the states shores around the same time. I remember years ago when they where thick at all the FI and JB beaches. This year it's been more inlets and back bays. I would have to say they are following the bunker. Its a good thing to have all these bluefish as bass are basically lazy and will follow behind schools of marauding bluefish.

buckethead
03-27-2017, 07:26 AM
4. The bluefish spur other species into action, and are at times connected with the general health and growth of other populations. This is where fisheries management sometimes doesn't measure up, as in the past it has failed to take these inter-relationships into account when looking at biomass growth or decline.I was going through the old threads, and found of this one. Thanks for making the points Dark. I hope folks out there are considerate when the big blues come in this year. Some of the slaughters I have seen in past years are bound to affect these great fighting fish. I hope people take only what they need, as I have seen people walk off with garbage bags filled with fish.