PDA

View Full Version : The Great Debate

stripermania
10-27-2011, 08:05 PM
This is one debate that will continue for a long time, or at least until the bass are gone and the believers of less bass being around win.

As we have all been debating lately is there really less bass around? Going by the last two weeks a friend of mine would say no. He has been out almost every night and I would say every other night or close to every night he has caught keepers in Jersey.

So the debate continues..... Is this the sign that there are plenty of bass around or is he just having some incredible luck?

surfstix1963
10-28-2011, 03:10 AM
I won't debate anyone just give my opinion yes there are less large breeders every year evidence, some eastern states commercial fishing videos dead fish equal less breeding therefore less reproduction keepers sure there are keepers some people find them some don't but how many 30-50 lb. fish is he catching everynight? the commercial fishery has been putting more pressure on all the fish not just the bass some fish grow slower than others bass are one of them blackfish also every breeder that is dead is not laying millions of eggs and therefore not producing a YOY stock and recreational pressure sure there are alot more fisherman but more of them are learning C&R this is pretty much what happened in the 80's can we bring them back at this stage yes but it will take a few years and probably a shutdown again.IMO

finchaser
10-28-2011, 09:50 AM
Keepers are BS it's shorts that keeps the stocks healthy and they are almost non existent. A few will always find a pocket of fish. Think of the 100's of thousands that go score less every night compared to the few who score. Not referring to your friend but many are egotistical INTERNET liars trying to look like a some body. I personally average over 300 bass a year for the past 10 years and fish 5 to 6 days a week. This year 42 keepers out of 65 fish 10 of which are over 25# all released so you tell me, should I be concerned dam right I should.

Think of it as living in a society where there ane fewer and fewer kids every year until you hardly see any.

jigfreak
10-29-2011, 04:41 PM
No one catches fish every time. If he's doing well, God Bless. Most of the guys I know are having a bad year from shore.

fishinmission78
10-29-2011, 06:28 PM
Less bass, this is the worst year I have had in 6 years.

jigfreak
11-01-2011, 11:19 AM
^^ It must be, yesterday a guy weighed in a 7 1/2 lb bass at BnNs. The thing was so small you needed a magnifying glass to see it.

jigfreak
11-01-2011, 11:21 AM
^^It must be, yesterday a guy weighed in a 7 1/2 lb bass at BnNs. The thing was so small you needed a magnifying glass to see it.

finchaser
11-01-2011, 02:09 PM
Yeah but he's he's an Internet hero now. At 7 1/2 pounds he must have squeezed the tail as hard as he could or weighed a short something is not right since a 7 to 8 pound fish is usually about 25 to 26 inches.