PDA

View Full Version : I win the googan of the year award

Monty
10-30-2011, 02:47 PM
Well I have a week vacation, last day of work was friday. Could not fish this am because power problems and can't leave wife at home alone with 5 cats and a bird and a new hip and new knee (that's what she told me so I did not fish). So picked up a bunch of branches outside this morning, found big branch broken in tree 15 feet high, stuck there. Thought better get it down, could fall on a kid. Threw brick at it, no good. Great idea, SS popper, 2 3/8 oz, big hooks, tied it to 50 lb PP, threw it at the branch. Never left my hand. Embedded hook (and barb) into pinky. Went to wife's sons house with bolt cutters, he cut the hook so SS plug was not dangling. Went IMC , xrays, said go to hospital. At hospital as I write this, needed something to do while waiting. Yup googen of the year, should have thrown that plug with my lami. Rough start to my vacation, a frieking snow storm and googen judgment LOL, is that the correct spelling for googen?

DarkSkies
10-30-2011, 03:18 PM
Nothing wrong with what ya did, bro, I might have done the same (but I might have rummaged around for a ladder and chain saw first....:p)

Next time, get a pool cue for a rod so ya have less backlash...I might recommend a Harnell, or ya can ask Finchaser for advice... :learn:

Hope ya feel better....on Monday I'm going to the trophy shop to see if I can get one printed up in your name...how do ya spell your last name again?...:laugh: :HappyWave:

jigfreak
10-30-2011, 03:34 PM
I believe the spelling is "GOOGAN". Yes you are one. I'll throw in a few dollars towards the trophy if you need the dough, dark. It could happen to anyone, don't sweat it. Get well, there are fish to catch.

Monty
10-30-2011, 03:50 PM
Just call me Monty Googan (thanks for the spelling Jigreak). From now on whenever I am in a situation when I need to throw a plug and am confused I'll call Finchaser (a lesson learned). Hopefully get this puppy out of my pinky in the next hour or two, was/still planning on hitting the beach aroud 1:00 am. They are running on generator at this hospital (Morristown). Things moving a bit slow, but they are very nice here.

jonthepain
10-30-2011, 04:03 PM
I have found that to hit a tree I have to cast at the water...

Good luck with your hand.

You definitely qualify for the googan club - more because you can't spell it than because you caught your hand :d

cowherder
10-30-2011, 04:58 PM
Hey Monty like they said it could have happened to anybody. Get well soon!

mick2360
10-30-2011, 06:28 PM
Got back from my 'big weekend' at Montauk to find tree's and branches down all over the yard. Do you have a number for Googan tree service? Sounds like my kind of company. :HappyWave:

Feel better!

Monty
10-30-2011, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the well wishes.
As to it could have happened to anyone...
Who is 30 miles from the beach, takes a plug in his hand, ties line too it, and throws (tries to throw it with his hand) it at a tree.....
The Googan of the year does it.
Well all better. Thanks again....
Here is an xray of it.
http://rocksimpson.com/images/2011_10_30hook.jpg

finchaser
10-30-2011, 07:34 PM
Still not in Darks league but closonig in quick

Hope your ok and heal fast

vpass
10-30-2011, 08:56 PM
Ouch, after looking at the X-ray. Hope it all good. that stuff happens when you least expect it.

jonthepain
10-30-2011, 09:33 PM
o m g

storminsteve
10-30-2011, 10:05 PM
:ROFLMAOHa ha you are such a dork-googan. 30 miles from the beach and you snag your hand. Guess you have a really good hookset! pun intended. Feel better dude.

bababooey
10-30-2011, 10:30 PM
Monty, if the shoe fits, make sure you don't use a plug with trebles to snag it!
Some perspectives on googanism-

skinner
10-30-2011, 10:34 PM
Googan definition:
Googan A fishing (not sexual) term for lowlife, shore(bank) fishermen who baitfish typically without a license, regard to regulations, and etiquette towards other people, especially other fishermen following the rules.
Damn, I couldn't find a spot at the river yesterday. It was totally full of googans hogging up the place, dropping f-bombs, and snagging fish.

I don't think you are a googan monty. Maybe a little deranged, but not a googan. Hope things get better.

dogfish
10-30-2011, 10:35 PM
Cool x-ray, bud. Got any pics of the bloody finger with the hook in it?:cool:

Monty
10-30-2011, 11:11 PM
Still not in Darks league but closonig in quick

Cool x-ray, bud. Got any pics of the bloody finger with the hook in it?:cool:

:ROFLMAO:ROFLMAO:ROFLMAO:ROFLMAO
Thanks for the well wishes and laughs.
Really not a big deal, needed to pass some time in hospital.
Should be fishing by 4:30 AM this morning.
Been fishing long time and never buried a barb in myself or anyone else.
Here's a link to the hook in the finger.
http://rocksimpson.com/images/2011_10_30_hook3.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2011_10_30_hook2.jpg

surfwalker
10-30-2011, 11:18 PM
Monty, do me a favor. Before you leave to go fishing in the morning, please remove all hooks from your plugs.

finchaser
10-30-2011, 11:22 PM
What he said ^^^ bring a brick seems your pretty safe with them

surfwalker
10-30-2011, 11:22 PM
On second thought, maybe you should let some one else remove those hooks for you. Feel better.

surfstix1963
10-31-2011, 07:43 AM
Monty, do me a favor. Before you leave to go fishing in the morning, please remove all hooks from your plugs.
or crush he barbs they come out easier

What he said ^^^ bring a brick seems your pretty safe with themBob I have to say no matter how down in the dumps I am you always make me laugh that was a great one Sorry Monty.

Now we went through this the other day A storm is no way to start your vacation another tip don't do any yard work on vacation if you do decide to use a plug to get a branch out of a tree don't use mine the hooks are sharp I guess you know that now at least it wasn't the 5 oz. pencil I did that qualifies for a plug and brick at the same time:scared: that could have really sucked.One ? was it easier to cut the hook with a split ring on it or not for future discussion:d.All Googaning aside glad to hear your ok and fishing again take care Ray.Have a safe vacation:HappyWave:

mick2360
10-31-2011, 09:35 AM
Facilitate catch and release: crush your barbs!

speedy
10-31-2011, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the well wishes.
As to it could have happened to anyone...
Who is 30 miles from the beach, takes a plug in his hand, ties line too it, and throws (tries to throw it with his hand) it at a tree.....
The Googan of the year does it.
Well all better. Thanks again....
Here is an xray of it.
http://rocksimpson.com/images/2011_10_30hook.jpg....nice job there bro have to give ya a name now (the pinky hooker) lol get well soon bro

Monty
10-31-2011, 02:12 PM
at least it wasn't the 5 oz. pencil I did that qualifies for a plug and brick at the same time:scared: that could have really sucked.
:HappyWave:

That plug would have taken my finger with it, would of had a broken branch, your Bubba Pencil and my pinky stuck in the tree. :laugh:

surfstix1963
10-31-2011, 03:35 PM
How ya doing I hope your catching fish after all of this and luckily it wasn't your index finger on your casting hand not that that would stop ya your a fishing machine.I'm sure we all have our stories

DarkSkies
10-31-2011, 03:51 PM
.I'm sure we all have our stories

It's so bad at Monty's house that even his cats have their stories,,,,,the last I heard they were on strike.
See what happens when ya get them hooked on albies? The first chance they get, they post signs online against their owner....

Monty
10-31-2011, 03:52 PM
How ya doing I hope your catching fish after all of this and luckily it wasn't your index finger on your casting hand not that that would stop ya your a fishing machine.I'm sure we all have our stories
Finger seems fine, have to keep it dry some how.....fished for 5 hours this morning, one short bass on a Hogy.
Was great just being out there.
If anyone sees a guy fishing with a pig pinky (finger) sticking straight out.......say hello to me.

Monty
10-31-2011, 04:06 PM
it's so bad at monty's house that even his cats have their stories,,,,,the last i heard they were on strike.
See what happens when ya get them hooked on albies? The first chance they get, they post signs online against their owner....
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
The branch is still hanging in that tree.......its like a magnet

mick2360
10-31-2011, 05:36 PM
Kind of thought, "what the heck was he thinking?". Then today I looked up into my maple and saw a huge limb hanging about 30 feet up. I may have a go at it with my conventional heaver this weekend. :ROFLMAO

7deadlyplugs
10-31-2011, 06:05 PM
Dude, that is so funny even your cat knows you screwed up! Ha ha but at least you are ok now, and know better for next time.

clamchucker
10-31-2011, 06:29 PM
I am glad to see things turned out well for you Monty.

Monty
10-31-2011, 07:15 PM
Kind of thought, "what the heck was he thinking?". Then today I looked up into my maple and saw a huge limb hanging about 30 feet up. I may have a go at it with my conventional heaver this weekend. :ROFLMAO
:ROFLMAO
Being a Maple and at that distance I would go with that 5 oz pencil Surfstix made me (I'll have someone crush the barbs), I'm kinda an expert at this now (more experience than anyone out there (I would recommend the heaver too...instead of throwing it)

Dude, that is so funny even your cat knows you screwed up! Ha ha but at least you are ok now, and know better for next time.
Yup, wife can't stop laughing, the cats posting on the internet, hell of a support group I got here. Finger feels good, thanks, but I'll keep doing stupid stuff (hopefully with crushed barbs).

I am glad to see things turned out well for you Monty.
Thanks, was weird, Doctor said it would be numb for 6-8 hours, 14 hours later when I started fishing it was still numb, sometime while fishing the numbness went away.

surfstix1963
11-01-2011, 06:00 AM
"Finger seems fine, have to keep it dry some how"

Throw a waterproof bandage and a rubber on it and tape it up Don't go to Walgreens LOL

DarkSkies
11-01-2011, 09:41 AM
Googan of the Fall 2011---

This is a very prestigious award and is taking some time to create...:ROFLMAO

I'm preparing an official certificate for Mr Monty Saxitilis, the S&A official googan of the fall.2011 Season..

Just started it, hope to have it done soon.

If anyone has any words of wisdom to add to the proclamation...feel free :HappyWave:

jigfreak
11-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Yeah, when aiming at a tree branch, make sure the bail is open.:laugh:
Get well soon.

wish4fish
11-01-2011, 04:59 PM
ha ha monty you are the googan of the century lol. do u have pics of the blood lets see em! and u are smart to get rite back to fishing, that way it wont hurt so much

jonthepain
11-01-2011, 05:05 PM
don't drink any tea with that hand! the cats will snap a picture and post it.

glad you're back out there. go get 'em!

finchaser
11-02-2011, 09:48 AM
After last night Dark stands alone and he didn't even have a brick

DarkSkies
11-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Fished OC with the OGB last night.
It was tough to find a places where the surf was fishable, big swells everywhere. If not for the tide being as high as it was we would have had no water.

Despite the handicaps, we managed a very slow pick of fish, 2 bass, 1 about 10. The other about 13#. All on plugs, as the water was rough. A few other hits and misses.

I kind of ruined the flow for Fin when I put a hook in and out of my palm. :bucktooth: The fish lay on the beach and I didn't leader it as usual but grabbed it closer to the hook. Thank God Fin had dykes with him.. :thumbsup:The hook went clean through and we were able to crush the barb, cut it, and back it out.

More than embarassing because it's the first time I ever put a hook in my flesh, clean through. :beatin:

I know better...and that's the most embarassing part of all...http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon11.png
I know he won't let me live the stupidity down, so I might as well come clean and fess up....;)

From now on I'll be crushing all my barbs, and will strongly be preaching that to you folks out there......

We missed out on valuable fishin time by dealing with that hook in palm. I know he would have had some bigger fish, but the opportunity had passed.......

Much gratitude to the Old Grouchy Basstard for being there....
I might have been in a little trouble without his quick thinking.....:clapping::clapping:

Monty
11-02-2011, 02:27 PM
I put a hook in and out of my palm. :bucktooth: The fish lay on the beach and I didn't leader it as usual but grabbed it closer to the hook. Thank God Fin had dykes with him.. :thumbsup:The hook went clean through and we were able to crush the barb, cut it, and back it out.
More than embarassing because it's the first time I ever put a hook in my flesh, clean through. :beatin:

Hope your not in any pain, ....Just can't let me have a few moments in the spot light.

So if I have this straight, you didn't throw a brick into the water first?

And it was a Super Strike plug again.
Can't make this stuff up.

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2011_10_30_BLP.jpg

surfstix1963
11-02-2011, 03:40 PM
*** its pretty bad when you guys try to outshine each other by putting hooks in your hands :huh: you guys have some kind of weird fetish we probably don't want to know about:beatin::HappyWave:

storminsteve
11-02-2011, 07:02 PM
Yeah what's up with that dark? Monty gets a hook in finger. 2 days later you get one in your finger. Man-crush?:ROFLMAO

wish4fish
11-02-2011, 07:03 PM
ha ha ds is a copycat,lol!

vpass
11-02-2011, 07:08 PM
I'm not going to say anything. I'm afraid it may be me next.:scared:

jigfreak
11-02-2011, 07:13 PM
Looks like you learned your lesson, dude. Crush them barbs or be sorry.

plugcrazy
11-02-2011, 07:55 PM
*** its pretty bad when you guys try to outshine each other by putting hooks in your hands :huh: you guys have some kind of weird fetish we probably don't want to know about:beatin::HappyWave:

Take your pick, hook fetish-

"Jesus wept":cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGardHozEwA

finchaser
11-02-2011, 08:31 PM
Yeah what's up with that dark? Monty gets a hook in finger. 2 days later you get one in your finger. Man-crush?:ROFLMAO

Tonight i heard Dark is bringing a cinder block:kooky:wonder what that's about

DarkSkies
11-03-2011, 01:49 PM
With the way fishing was last night....
I think even if we had a brick of dynamite, that wouldn't have helped.....:rolleyes:

porgy75
11-03-2011, 02:51 PM
You guys are crazy!

bababooey
11-05-2011, 04:45 PM
Nice job Monty, do you plan on hooking your thumb next time? Why not try to grab the branch with an extendable fish net? Feel better.

DarkSkies
05-03-2012, 12:07 PM
, ....Just can't let me have a few moments in the spot light.

Can't make this stuff up.

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2011_10_30_BLP.jpg

I was looking back on this thread and realized I almost did steal your Googan spotlight from you, Monty.
And ya know, I really do feel bad about things like that....;)

So I wanted ya to know you will always be the top Googan on this site :thumbsup: unless Rip, Speedy, or Surfstix (coming out of fishing retirement) goes out there and out-Googans you....

Congrats, you are the King!.....:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
05-03-2012, 12:10 PM
To add to that, I finally got around to crafting an Award for ya.....sorry it doesn't have fancy filigree and gold writing, it was the best I could do with my limited internet skills....Hope ya's like it......:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
05-03-2012, 12:14 PM
Recommended Sign for When Monty is fishing Nearby....
thought this additional sign might be helpful, bro. You could carry it with you, and post in the sand or mud, wherever you may roam.....:laugh: :HappyWave:

jigfreak
05-04-2012, 03:21 PM
The highest honors.:kooky:
Good stuff.

DarkSkies
09-09-2012, 08:14 PM
Just a little bump to the top in honor of Monty's birthday on Aug 27. We missed it., hope it was happy.... :HappyWave:

surfstix1963
09-12-2012, 08:17 AM
Thats a good one rich Sorry I missed your B-Day Monty hope it was great

Monty
09-12-2012, 09:51 AM
Thats a good one rich Sorry I missed your B-Day Monty hope it was great

Thanks Surfstix, yes that was funny (Thanks Dark!!!! :ROFLMAO) Another year older....beats the alternative, more aches and pains.
Getting wiser (not throwing plugs with hooks into trees anymore by hand (like a baseball) :thumbsup:)

This won't happen again (little reminder of how hooks can be inserted into fingers)....

http://www.rocksimpson.com/images/2011_10_30hook.jpg

basshunter
09-15-2012, 04:51 PM
Love that pic of hook in finger. You could have 2 names either white water monty or hookinfinger monty.:laugh:
DID you frame that? I would've.

storminsteve
11-26-2012, 03:27 PM
Thanks Surfstix, yes that was funny (Thanks Dark!!!! :ROFLMAO) Another year older....beats the alternative, more aches and pains.
Getting wiser (not throwing plugs with hooks into trees anymore by hand (like a baseball) :thumbsup:)

This won't happen again (little reminder of how hooks can be inserted into fingers)....

http://www.rocksimpson.com/images/2011_10_30hook.jpg

Hey monty a special video just for you!:HappyWave:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06T9c5YMLzA

Monty
11-26-2012, 03:34 PM
I'm good...

speedy
11-26-2012, 07:49 PM
Still not in Darks league ......U HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD BRO .....:ROFLMAO:ROFLMAO :ROFLMAO.....LMAO... STEVE NICE ONE GREAT PAIN MED MAKERS MART ...LOL

finchaser
11-26-2012, 08:09 PM
Still not in Darks league ......U HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD BRO .....:ROFLMAO:ROFLMAO :ROFLMAO.....LMAO... STEVE NICE ONE GREAT PAIN MED MARKERS MART ...LOL

Still not in DARKS LEAGUE as he is KING of the GOOGANS

jonthepain
11-26-2012, 09:02 PM
Recommended Sign for When Monty is fishing Nearby....
thought this additional sign might be helpful, bro. You could carry it with you, and post in the sand or mud, wherever you may roam.....:laugh: :HappyWave:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e248/jonthepain/montyshirt.jpg

jonthepain
11-26-2012, 09:08 PM
front:
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e248/jonthepain/monty3.jpg

back:
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e248/jonthepain/monty2.jpg

cheers! rofl
jon

Monty
11-26-2012, 10:12 PM
front:

back:

cheers! rofl
jon

LOL, :ROFLMAO :clapping:
:thumbsup:
Hilarious !!
I fish nights a lot...maybe get the lettering to glow :HappyWave:

jonthepain
11-27-2012, 06:55 PM
...maybe get the lettering to glow

lol that would be great

not available thru vista print, however. (which is where i designed the shirts.) maybe someplace else?

Pebbles
11-27-2012, 07:35 PM
:ROFLMAOYou could start a business and have each shirt personalized. You would make a killing. LOL

vpass
11-27-2012, 08:21 PM
That's great!!! :ROFLMAO

jonthepain
11-28-2012, 07:43 PM
:ROFLMAOYou could start a business and have each shirt personalized. You would make a killing. LOL

rofl unfortunately they cost $25 apiece through vistaprint. Too rich for my budget, so I figure it's too high for most other people, too.

but if you are still interested, just go to vistaprint and design your own! if i can do it, anybody can.

DarkSkies
11-29-2012, 12:53 PM
Fantastic level of creativity, and thinking, Jon.....
Some folks think of things, you bring it to the next level......:thumbsup:

Thanks for all the laughs, if enough interest ever develops for a Googan shirt, I'll put ya in charge of the project.....:clapping: :HappyWave:
Hope all is well down there......

jonthepain
11-29-2012, 06:16 PM
thanks, we're fine, hope you are

DarkSkies
03-05-2013, 08:31 AM
front:

back:

cheers! rofl
jon

See, he even has his own shirt....all personalized.....:laugh::thumbsup:
Great job Jon. :HappyWave:

hookset
03-22-2013, 10:06 PM
Great shirt googan of the year. dark you should give them away as yearly prizes.
Monty found this for you the next time you get hooked up. It is pretty gruesome he hooks himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgfpsupmu98

Monty
03-22-2013, 11:30 PM
Great shirt googan of the year. dark you should give them away as yearly prizes.
Monty found this for you the next time you get hooked up. It is pretty gruesome he hooks himself.

Very educational video, thank you for posting.

finchaser
03-23-2013, 03:40 PM
Life time Googan award still goes to Dark

Great video Hook

DarkSkies
03-23-2013, 04:08 PM
^ :2flip: :moon:
Fin's been drinking again......:plastered:
All the work I do for conservation, access, fishermens' rights, and striped bass,,,,and this is the best I get? :whoo: ya grouchy basstid? Can't you let Monty share in any of the limelight here?

finchaser
03-23-2013, 06:43 PM
He's googan of the year and your apprentice

Monty
03-23-2013, 07:21 PM
^ :2flip: :moon:
Fin's been drinking again......:plastered:
All the work I do for conservation, access, fishermens' rights, and striped bass,,,,and this is the best I get? :whoo: ya grouchy basstid? Can't you let Monty share in any of the limelight here?

Relax, a new season is almost upon us.
I will be roaming the surf either with a plug stuck on my back (that I can't reach), catching 30 pound rays on teasers or fish that belong in the aquarium (and loosing a ridicules amount of bass with googan mistakes (gotta stop leaving those rubber hook covers on the trebles)). I'll also more than likely be falling in holes, getting knocked on my *ss in the wash and finding new googan things to do for 2013. All to try to unseat you from your King Googan seat.

So you going to stop by soon? We can see who can throw a plug higher into a tree.

He's googan of the year and your apprentice

DarkSkies
06-05-2013, 07:26 PM
Are all you readers saying you're willing to let Monty win this award by default for 2013?
Is there no one with a pathetic and embarassing enough story to challenge Monty? :bucktooth:

Come on, I know someone out there will speak up.....
let's hear your Googan story and why you qualify for this award...before the end of the year....Time is running out...step up and let's hear it...
(or you can just let Monty win....:ROFLMAO :HappyWave:)

Monty
06-05-2013, 09:06 PM
A few weeks ago a guy came up to me and asked me to unhook the plug from his back....that's like an anti Googan act by me....should account for something since I did remove it without any additional damage.

jonthepain
06-06-2013, 06:46 PM
let's hear why you qualify for this award...

i registered on this site

jonthepain
06-06-2013, 06:49 PM
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e248/jonthepain/monty2.jpg (http://s40.photobucket.com/user/jonthepain/media/monty2.jpg.html)
back

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e248/jonthepain/monty3.jpg (http://s40.photobucket.com/user/jonthepain/media/monty3.jpg.html)
front

jonthepain
06-06-2013, 06:56 PM
let's hear why you qualify for this award...

i paid up front for a cabin on the beach for 6 people and the ferry ride over to deserted Portsmouth Island and back for...

this weekend.

helloooooooooooooo Andrea

(lots of fish bite the day after a hurricane blows through, right?)

cowherder
06-06-2013, 07:05 PM
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e248/jonthepain/monty2.jpg (http://s40.photobucket.com/user/jonthepain/media/monty2.jpg.html)
back

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e248/jonthepain/monty3.jpg (http://s40.photobucket.com/user/jonthepain/media/monty3.jpg.html)
front

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping: ROFLMAO!!!!
Very creative!

cowherder
06-06-2013, 07:06 PM
i paid up front for a cabin on the beach for 6 people and the ferry ride over to deserted Portsmouth Island and back for...

this weekend.

helloooooooooooooo Andrea

(lots of fish bite the day after a hurricane blows through, right?)

OOPS!!:don't know why:
Sorry to hear that, maybe you can bring some books to read or some board games like monopoly.

dogfish
06-06-2013, 07:29 PM
Very creative!

:laugh:It's settled then, shirts have been made.
I think we all have a little googan in us. It's what gives us character. If you don't have to struggle with stupid mistakes life would be too easy.

bababooey
06-06-2013, 09:23 PM
Very creative!

X2. Awesome design

Monty
06-06-2013, 10:46 PM
back

front

On the serious side, best of luck with the weather and cabin this weekend.

albiealert
06-06-2013, 10:55 PM
This is priceless!
jonthepain good luck with cabin as well. Quality time with family is good as long as you are together,

surfstix1963
06-07-2013, 08:09 AM
Damn I wish I could fish so I can join the contest I've been out of the game long enough to screw up again.

DarkSkies
01-31-2014, 09:40 AM
Thought some of ya's might like to read Monty's story again.....the entertainment value is priceless....:laugh: :thumbsup:

Monty
01-31-2014, 09:51 AM
Thought some of ya's might like to read Monty's story again.....the entertainment value is priceless....:laugh: :thumbsup:

How about sharing a picture of your bucket?

DarkSkies
01-31-2014, 04:34 PM
^ I'm a little embarassed....with all the end of year and home maintenance projects I finally threw myself into, some things have gotten moved around and I seem to have temporarily misplaced that bucket. Went to look for it today and paste the stickers you sent me on it, but no dice....
So I'll have to just post a pic of the sticker for now, hope to locate the bucket soon.....

BTW...thanks so much to Monty for sending me such a thoughtful gift....:2flip: :moon: :laugh: :clapping: :HappyWave:

hookedonbass
03-07-2014, 08:47 AM
Love this thread keep the pics coming. That shirt is awesome.

DarkSkies
03-11-2014, 08:36 AM
In the "what's your fishing name" thread I may have seemed a little harsh on Monty. I want folks to see there was a reason for it, by looking at this thread. :cool:
Monty has few equals, when it comes to Googan antics.....:HappyWave:

dogfish
03-14-2014, 09:57 AM
Being labeled as a googan or the go to bird guy. Which is worse - hmmmmm? Both goofy titles if ya ask me.:)

Monty
03-15-2014, 12:05 AM
Being labeled as a googan or the go to bird guy. Which is worse - hmmmmm?

Googan covers a wider array of activities.
The GTBG is obsessed with birds. Its like a person with ADD, you could be talking with him about anything and if he sees a swan or any bird he is gone. Like the kid with the shiny penny.

DarkSkies
03-15-2014, 09:14 AM
^ Tough crowd here....:laugh:....When I write the book about birds and how they lead us to fish.....I'll let you write the intro.....with those kind words....:2flip: :moon: :plastered: :kiss: :clapping: :thumbsup: :HappyWave:

storminsteve
03-15-2014, 10:36 AM
No worries dark Ill settle this for you once and for all.
YOU are the official GTBG.
MONTY is the official S&A all time GOOGAN
I - will be the official S&A TOP DEAD THINGS FINDER. :dribble::HappyWave:

Monty
03-15-2014, 10:41 AM
No worries dark Ill settle this for you once and for all.
YOU are the official GTBG.
MONTY is the official S&A all time GOOGAN
I - will be the official S&A TOP DEAD THINGS FINDER. :dribble::HappyWave:

You are without doubt the most delusional S and A member, LMAO.
I am taking off for china trip in few minutes, plane is packed, if plane goes missing at least you gave me a good last laugh.:HappyWave:

surferman
03-15-2014, 10:46 AM
roflmao you guys have way too much time on your hands. When are the trophies given out?

Monty
03-15-2014, 10:51 AM
roflmao you guys have way too much time on your hands. When are the trophies given out?
I am thinking storminsteve had a "Worlds Greatest Dead Thing Finder" trophy made for himself and already bas it on his mantle. DELUSIONAL! !!! Probably a bronzed squirrel he ran over in the driveway.

storminsteve
03-15-2014, 10:52 AM
No trophies needed surferman. Monty has a lock on the googan gig. I'm simply the best at finding dead things. I have been scouting the back bays and will honor my word to monty not to take dead thing pics until he starts fishing again. When is that date again so I can put it on my calendar?
Have a safe trip to China monty. When you return I hope you bring your A game with you fishing because you are going to need it.
Can you smuggle some authentic Chinese food back with you?:HappyWave:

storminsteve
03-15-2014, 10:56 AM
I am thinking storminsteve had a "Worlds Greatest Dead Thing Finder" trophy made for himself and already bas it on his mantle. DELUSIONAL! !!! Probably a bronzed squirrel he ran over in the driveway.

:moon:Hey if I run over something on the WAY to fishing, that is something that is found while fishing. The drive down is part of the trip. The stop to get coffee at quik chek or wawa. the stop to gas up, food runs, and any tackle shop stops. They are all part of my fishing trips and I have my eyes open every second of the way for dead thing clues. Bring your A game with you this time, I'm getting bored competing with amateurs. Have a safe trip!:HappyWave:

Monty
03-15-2014, 10:58 AM
No trophies needed surferman. Monty has a lock on the googan gig. I'm simply the best at finding dead things. I have been scouting the back bays and will honor my word to monty not to take dead thing pics until he starts fishing again. When is that date again so I can put it on my calendar?
Have a safe trip to China monty. When you return I hope you bring your A game with you fishing because you are going to need it.
Can you smuggle some authentic Chinese food back with you?:HappyWave:
Thanks, will try to get an authentic Chinese cookie to bring back.:HappyWave:

Monty
03-15-2014, 11:00 AM
:moon:Hey if I run over something on the WAY to fishing, that is something that is found while fishing. The drive down is part of the trip. The stop to get coffee at quik chek or wawa. the stop to gas up, food runs, and any tackle shop stops. They are all part of my fishing trips and I have my eyes open every second of the way for dead thing clues. Bring your A game with you this time, I'm getting bored competing with amateurs. Have a safe trip!:HappyWave:

Thanks

DarkSkies
07-07-2014, 11:01 AM
Just for Rob Medina.....
This is what the Goog of the year award looks like, and some of the requirements.....
Brush up on some of the short stories here...
Based on what happened to you thus far this year.....major accidents, lightning storms, struck by lightning...house electrical service falling down.......in no time you'll be in contention for this prestigious prize....:) :HappyWave:

I will warn ya....Monty is a tough competitor, and will fight to the end to retain his Goog crown.....:viking:

Monty
07-07-2014, 12:21 PM
Just for Rob Medina.....
This is what the Goog of the year award looks like, and some of the requirements.....
Brush up on some of the short stories here...
Based on what happened to you thus far this year.....major accidents, lightning storms, struck by lightning...house electrical service falling down.......in no time you'll be in contention for this prestigious prize....:) :HappyWave:

I will warn ya....Monty is a tough competitor, and will fight to the end to retain his Goog crown.....:viking:

But it took him half a year to put that list together....Rookie.

finchaser
07-07-2014, 06:26 PM
After Darks Kayak story no one will ever de-throne him as King of the googans

cowherder
07-07-2014, 06:32 PM
Kayak story? Details please?
I am casting my vote for monty. I remember him hooking himsellf a lot of times and also those xrays were pretty cool.
rob I would love to see some pics of the fried truck computer it could influence the voting.

robmedina
07-07-2014, 07:59 PM
rob I would love to see some pics of the fried truck computer it could influence the voting.

LOL, well my legs are covered in bug bites- does that account for anything? My computer in my truck got fried as did the steering something or another thing. $2600 total, not including the rental.

I go on a guided fishing trip tomorrow- hopefully my luck will change and I can get into some big red fish!

williehookem
07-07-2014, 08:28 PM
What are you fishing for just reds, or snook too. Post some pics if you get one.

Monty
07-07-2014, 08:30 PM
LOL, well my legs are covered in bug bites- does that account for anything? My computer in my truck got fried as did the steering something or another thing. $2600 total, not including the rental.

I go on a guided fishing trip tomorrow- hopefully my luck will change and I can get into some big red fish!

Top this one tomorrow and then you can start getting some consideration. You really need to do this 40 miles from the ocean but with this vacation your having you would be there. Thinking of vacations, I did this on day one of a vacation, so when I did get out there the next 4 days it had to be covered pretty good, a bit of an inconvenience.

http://rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/2011_10_30hook.jpg

finchaser
07-07-2014, 08:39 PM
Kayak story? Details please?
I am casting my vote for monty. I remember him hooking himsellf a lot of times and also those xrays were pretty cool.

"That story gave me chills, Willie.

Enough time has gone by, that I can share my Stepping Stone story......was too embarassed to talk about it for awhile.....:o

When I first started fishing the Sound at night, I was too proud to ask anyone for advice. I just went over there and figured I would find the fish. I took my yak out and was trolling, didn't really know the area. No fish at all for me.

I knew they were catching fish at the Stepping Stone lighthouse at night. The channels were pretty deep there. As mentioned the big ships pass by there coming up and down the East River and various places in the Bronx.

It was late at night and I knew about the traffic, figured a late night trip peddling over there would not be that risky.
Once I got there, I anchored my yak on some rocks and walked around a bit.
Saw there are lots of crabs on those rocks and that's one of the things that probably draws the bass and fish there.

That was a few years ago. At that time I didn't pay as much attention to extended wind forecasts like I do now. I won't go out on the yak now at night if the winds are forecast to be over 10mph.

The wind started kicking up from the N. In the space of a few minutes it went to about 20mph, putting whitecaps on the water there.
I knew I had to get the hell out of there and back to the launch.

I got in the water and a bit of panic crept over me. I was scared, really scared. At that time I was not carrying a VHF, which in retrospect was pretty stupid. :beatin:

As I pushed away from those rocks, survival mode crept over. I told myself:
"Rich you are an idiot! You should have known better than to come all the way out here by yourself at night and not really know the deal.
You will survive, you will learn from this, and never make this particular mistake again!"

I got in that yak and pedalled and paddled like Satan himself was after me. (and he probably was) :scared:
I finally made it to a part of the land, near City island, where the land provided a lee from the relentless wind.
I made my way around the S part of the Island to keep that lee to my benefit until I got back to the launch.

In all honesty, once I got within 100 yards of City Island I was ok. It's amazing how once you find a lee from the wind in the yak, your level of anxiety can drop.

Still, looking back at that experience, I'm probably lucky I made it out of there. I was coming back, in the middle of the night, crossing over deep water channels with swells 2' and better.

I have really come to love fishing the Sound at night because you can often find protected areas for different types of wind. I have spent many a night out there, fishing calm, quiet water, with little boat traffic except for the commercial ships. The rocky coves are paradise for a yak fisherman, and hardly anyone up there fishes at night. You can have the whole place to yourself all night without ever running into a soul. It's so free of night traffic I often think of it as my own private fishing reserve.

It's still a big body of water, and can get ugly with certain wind patterns.
You have to be self-reliant and have contingency plans. If anything happens to you at night, you are all alone, on your own, and have to figure a way out of it by yourself. I learned my lesson that night, and have made adjustments in my yak fish planning to be more careful at night because of it. :learn: "

robmedina
07-08-2014, 04:29 AM
@ Monty- No thanks Brother, you can have the award LOL! I took my fly rod out into the surf on Sunday. There is a ton of bait in the water here. I could see that something was chasing the bait in the troughs so I got my fly rod out and was working those areas. The wind picked up a tad bit from the south and since I am right handed- one cast my fly smacked me in the shoulder. Luckily I have steel like muscle and skin so it just bounced right off (:kooky:- I know) but that was close.

I don't want any hooks embedded in me! note to self- crimp down them barbs!

DarkSkies
07-08-2014, 07:51 AM
The wind picked up a tad bit from the south and since I am right handed- one cast my fly smacked me in the shoulder. Luckily I have steel like muscle and skin so it just bounced right off (:kooky:- I know) but that was close.

We have some interesting dynamics here....
1. Monty seems to be tenaciously defending his claim as Googan of the year..:viking:....you can see by the words and phrases he uses it's real important to him, to be the premier Goog out there......
2. Rob, on the other hand, who says he doesn't want to be a contender, just keeps coming up with example after example, of why he should be included.....;)

Fin, this is why I can't be in these things....these 2 mooks are far more deserving of that award than I ever could be....:laugh:

May the best man win.....:) :HappyWave:

seamonkey
07-08-2014, 03:08 PM
Heres a suggesstion why don't you have different awards meaning you have achieved different levels? like googan in training, master googan,world champion googan, and universal champ googan. kind of like they have in karate. That way you open it up to more people. my .02

robmedina
07-08-2014, 03:56 PM
Monty and I cant help that we are naturals!

storminsteve
07-12-2014, 10:32 PM
^^^^^^ Yes and I would agree we should let you two duke it out for the googan awards. I like sea monkey's suggestion. Just let me have the dead thing title and all will be good, No worries haha!:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
11-15-2014, 11:22 PM
Just a head's up ..
Although some of us have made spectacular goog and dilly moves this year, Monty feels he should still be the front runner.....:rolleyes:...if anyone has any goog stories to top his....feel free to share....or forever hold your peace...:)

Monty
11-16-2014, 01:58 PM
Just a head's up ..
Although some of us have made spectacular goog and dilly moves this year, Monty feels he should still be the front runner.....:rolleyes:...if anyone has any goog stories to top his....feel free to share....or forever hold your peace...:)

Hold on there King Goog.
I may have had a couple Goog events this year, but you really ran away with it this year.
The JB incident on the Parkway, the Horseshoe crab paddles, on and on.
Rumors of report chasing and even waiting......rumors.
2015 is yours in a runaway. My 2015 goog highlights pale by comparison :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
05-17-2015, 12:57 PM
The JB incident on the Parkway, :HappyWave:

If it wasn't enough to prevent JB from driving on the parkway ever again....maybe it wasn't that traumatic for him....and shouldn't be included.....
True Googan mistakes can be life changing...don't you think? :learn:

(Like making the mistake of fishing in LI...when NJ is experiencing the best bluefish bite in years......):moon: :HappyWave:

basshunter
05-17-2015, 02:51 PM
Hey we are all googans at some thing we do!

DarkSkies
11-11-2015, 09:53 AM

Thought it was time to bring back a few laughs and memories here. I think the black t-shirt jonthepain designed for Monty is priceless in itself. There's also the JB incident on the Parkway.
Rob's truck getting hit by lightning is another strange but true story.

Anyone else have any screw-up stories to bring them into the range of contenders for the yearly award? :HappyWave:

J Barbosa
11-12-2015, 03:59 PM
Thought it was time to bring back a few laughs and memories here. I think the black t-shirt jonthepain designed for Monty is priceless in itself. There's also the JB incident on the Parkway.
Rob's truck getting hit by lightning is another strange but true story.

Anyone else have any screw-up stories to bring them into the range of contenders for the yearly award? :HappyWave:

NO, that is the DARK SKIES incident on the parkway that JB happened to witness.

cowherder
11-12-2015, 04:13 PM
LOL sounds like a mythbuster incident. Details?
My biggest googan offense this year was leaving my plug bag at home one time. 80 miles away and I wasn't going back. So I had some bucktails and worked them. Caught a few small stripes. Maybe we do have too many plugs to confuse us after all.

DarkSkies
05-25-2016, 11:21 PM
Thought I would bring this thread back up to the top. I have done some pretty goog things myself this year. We are all human and make mistakes.....especially when tired from lack of sleep.

feel free to share yours.

dogfish
05-25-2016, 11:50 PM
If I had a dollar for every googan thing I did or googan mistake I made I would be able to run against Donald Trump.