PDA

View Full Version : NJ Fishing Reports for November 2011 www.StripersandAnglers.com

DarkSkies
11-01-2011, 10:40 AM
NJ fishing reports for November 2011. ..www.StripersandAnglers.com (http://www.stripersandanglers.com/)

NJ fishing reports for November 2011...www.stripersandanglers.com (http://www.stripersandanglers.com/)
Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING! Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED!
Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
Out Front (Ocean) OR -- Out Back (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. If you do this, your post may be edited, or deleted. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time!

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:

If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish here today?

If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.
More discussion on this:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=3763 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3763)

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.Even if you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well.

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free.

Some acronyms -

SH - Sandy Hook
NoMoCo - Northern Monmouth County (below the hook to Shark River Inlet SRI)
SoMoCo - Southern Monmouth County (below SRI to Manasquan Inlet)

OC - Ocean County
IBSP - Island Beach State Park
LBI - Long Beach Island

AC - Atlantic County
AI - Absecon Inlet
CISP - Corson's Inlet State Park
CMC - Cape May County
CMR - Cape May Rips
GEI - Great Egg Inlet
TI - Townsend's Inlet

RB - Raritan Bay
BB - Barnegat Bay
CB - Chesapeake Bay
CBBT - Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel
DB - Delaware Bay

DarkSkies
11-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Mike O,
you won the plug in the October random drawing!:clapping: :thumbsup:
PM me your address so I can send it out to ya!

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.

If you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well. Anyone who posts a report can win a plug even if they got skunked! :skunk::D

This month we're giving out plugs from Ace Baits, or something similar.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...splay.php?f=83 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)

Thanks for posting and helping to make this a great site! :clapping:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&thumb=1&d=1238964999 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&d=1238964999)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&thumb=1&d=1238965622 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&d=1238965622)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6339&thumb=1&d=1238965319 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6339&d=1238965319)

DarkSkies
11-01-2011, 10:44 AM
Fished 1 1/2 hrs last night before dawn, shortest trip in a long time.
Water temps in the back dropped like a rock, I knew that but with the N NE winds that built up I had to give it a shot. I knew within 5 minutes it wouldn't be productive, gave it hell anyway. Bottle plug in the rough water and rubber on the bottom. :skunk:

wish4fish
11-01-2011, 04:56 PM
hey dark dont feel bad we got skunked last nite and we were using clams! fish always bite when you throw em the snot. not last nite

DarkSkies
11-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Fished OC with the OGB last night.
It was tough to find a places where the surf was fishable, big swells everywhere. If not for the tide being as high as it was we would have had no water.

Despite the handicaps, we managed a very slow pick of fish, 2 bass, 1 about 10. The other about 13#. All on plugs, as the water was rough. A few other hits and misses.

I kind of ruined the flow for Fin when I put a hook in and out of my palm. :bucktooth: The fish lay on the beach and I didn't leader it as usual but grabbed it closer to the hook. Thank God Fin had dykes with him.. :thumbsup:The hook went clean through and we were able to crush the barb, cut it, and back it out.

More than embarassing because it's the first time I ever put a hook in my flesh, clean through. :beatin:

I know better...and that's the most embarassing part of all...http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon11.png
I know he won't let me live the stupidity down, so I might as well come clean and fess up....;)

From now on I'll be crushing all my barbs, and will strongly be preaching that to you folks out there......

We missed out on valuable fishin time by dealing with that hook in palm. I know he would have had some bigger fish, but the opportunity had passed.......

Much gratitude to the Old Grouchy Basstard for being there....
I might have been in a little trouble without his quick thinking.....:clapping::clapping:

SharkHart
11-02-2011, 04:18 PM
Theres a bad mudline out front. Surf was pounding all night, got a few river fish last night, fish are around could be good if ever get off this NE and get clean water. seems like the seaside shops declared charge because a few fish were caught, many guys out not much catching

storminsteve
11-02-2011, 06:53 PM
Tseems like the seaside shops declared charge because a few fish were caught, many guys out not much catching

That's what I saw last night in somoco, a whole lot of nothing! All the hype, a few tiny fish. Nothing for me not a tap. Threw the bag, the surf was evil.:scared:

jigfreak
11-02-2011, 07:14 PM
Fished oc this afternoon, end of the outgoing, one bass 29" on metal.

LennyD
11-02-2011, 09:55 PM
Fished moco this evening, big waves crushing the surf. I could only fish from a jetty
Tried a lot of lures, the old and simple worked, bucktail
Got one keeper looking bass, unfortunately stuck between two rocks, snapped the line
First thing I saw when I walked onto the beach is a decent bass swam thru the big wave, it was awesome site.

porgy75
11-03-2011, 02:47 PM
Fished somoco this morning from 5 to 8am. I think it was the last of the outgoing. Clams on one rod, ava jig on the other, and nothing. The waves were pretty big and there was a lot of white foamy water.

DarkSkies
11-03-2011, 02:57 PM
Congrats to those getting out there and giving it a shot.
Conditions are tough...
the fish are few and far between (despite what the tackle shops tell ya)
and there are a lot of small fish in the mix, when there is any type of mix....

I was talking to someone this morning, we compared NJ surf fishin in the fall 2011 to being in the beginning of a very dark tunnel.....you think you see light at the end, but are not sure, and wonder if that light you think you see isn't someone playing a cruel joke on you.....

Fished the surf with the OGB last night in OC. Another S&A sitemember wandered by :HappyWave: and we all gave it hell for 2 1/2 hrs.

Despite our best efforts, not even a tap. :skunk:
The water temps have dropped significantly in the past 2 weeks.

With the limited numbers of bass now available to surf anglers, a better strategy might be to fish dawn (1 1/2 hour bite usually around this time) and late afternoons when the water has heated up a degree or 2....

skinner
11-03-2011, 03:26 PM
I was talking to someone this morning, we compared NJ surf fishin in the fall 2011 to being in the beginning of a very dark tunnel.....you think you see light at the end, but are not sure, and wonder if that light you think you see isn't someone playing a cruel joke on you.........

Wow, that was pretty profound dark. I have felt that way for the last 2 months, worst fall ever for me.
Fished in ocean county this morning, smelled the foul smell of the skunk, using metal.

Monty
11-03-2011, 03:30 PM
Fished this morning out front from 4:15 to 9:30.
Big time skunkaroo. First time in a long time where I did not even get a hit.
Great weather, nice sunrise and a white water extravaganza.

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2011_11_3_SR.jpg
http://rocksimpson.com/images/2011_11_3_SR1.jpg
http://rocksimpson.com/images/2011_11_3_WW.jpg

gjb1969
11-03-2011, 04:17 PM
great pics of the water and sunrise now we just need some fish i got one buddy just called me and he is done till spring he told me is not worth his time to spend money and get no bass i dont blame him at all the little small bass are all over up in the rivers and he just is so done with them for all the people who say nothings wrong with the bass they are nuts from what i see in the last three years the size has gone down and i am not the only one who see this so come on guys lets stop bsing we have to be carefull there are bass around just not the size we want and not in the numbers that should be there

cowherder
11-03-2011, 05:32 PM
for all the people who say nothings wrong with the bass they are nuts from what i see in the last three years the size has gone down and i am not the only one who see this so come on guys lets stop bsing we have to be carefull there are bass around just not the size we want and not in the numbers that should be there

I agree gjb, I have not been fishing as long as some of you here but this year it's like where are the fish? They are always at the hook because of those rips they have and this year they are not even there!
Monty great pics and report, that sunrise and white water looks super awesome!

storminsteve
11-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Great shots Monty. Catching a fish is always a bonus. Theres a lot to be said for being out there at sunrise though, when the colors first start to change, the awesome power of nature, Now if Nature would only send a few stripers down the pike for us surf guys, that would be all the better.:drool:

finchaser
11-03-2011, 07:37 PM
What he^^^said

Monty
11-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Fished this morning from 4:15 to 11:00 bay side.
Was ridiculously close to the skunk.
Was throwing a Superstrike green popper (like the one I hooked my pinky with) in shallow, turbulent water.
Was time for final cast, so said that to myself 10 or 11 times, then the water explodes and a strong ~30 inch bass was on.
Released it, made a few more casts and called it a day.
Another nice sunrise and then was happy to have some clouds for awhile. But except for the one Bass I didn't even have a hit, but that one bass felt great after the two previous skunkings.

gjb1969
11-04-2011, 02:37 PM
good to see u got a bass u keep the ones like me hopeful i will get a bass on my line:fishing:

SharkHart
11-04-2011, 02:45 PM
One fish in the last 2 nights, my vacation fishing week bombed with epic proportion. A week of Pounding brown water and counting, I should have walleye fishing all week!

hookset
11-04-2011, 04:59 PM
Same for me sharkhart. I fished SH today from 2-4:30 near the top of the incoming. Clams were all over the beach, birds were 500 feet from the surf. The winds were bad and I had to use an ava 47 to get even a little distance out there. with all those clams out there fish should have been all over that snot buffet. Not one touch on the ava (with a green tail, btw, just like betty and nicks was touting):kooky:

jigfreak
11-04-2011, 05:07 PM
Fished somoco this am with 75 of my closest friends. You would have sworn there was a gold bullion bar for the first bass caught there were so many guys out. Heavy needles and metal, no action what so ever. None of the other guys on the beach hooked up either.

gjb1969
11-05-2011, 01:41 AM
now thats why i could care less what some of the shops say its the same ol bs each fall the fish are biteing so u go and guess what sucker no fish so i say just go fish!!! and dont wait for them to say the fish are there we all have a mind use it!!!!

DarkSkies
11-05-2011, 08:45 AM
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! If you have ever thought about what it would be like if someone thought you died, put you in a refrigerated box in the morgue, and you suddenly woke up screaming, only it wasn't a nightmare, it was really you in that box...well that kinda describes the fishin last night.....

Winds NE steady at 25mph, gusts to 40, extremely difficult to cast and get it where I wanted, only happy with 1 out of every 5 casts. I stuck it out for a long time because I did find fish. However, it was an extrreeeeemely slow pick.

3 bass to 29", one on a bottle plug, 2 on rubber....
Fished 1 1/2 tides to get those fish.

Did I mention how frikkin cold it was out there?
Air temps when I finished up were 37 degrees. Take 10 degrees away from that with the wind chill, do the math. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Areas I fished were like a ghost town, all the space ya wanted...:kooky:

albanyguy1
11-05-2011, 03:33 PM
late report...

fished OC thursday - the early am tide thru dusk (w/a few breaks in between). Ocean was a bit angry when I first got there, calmed down a little at dawn, then the winds came blasting out of the south and the waves looked like hawaii 5-0. Skunkaroo. But there was some great moments:
1. the sunrise and the great weather.
2. the guy who found my plug bag that i left in the parking lot at 4:30am (couldn't thank him enough).
3. filling up my gas tank for 25 cents less a gallon than at home
4. the fine Onyx maduro cigar that i smoked Thurs afternoon.
5. Alot of friendly conversation w/ guys on the beach that I ran into (I think I could of made some good friends if I was able to stay a little longer). Lot of guys expressed frustration at the quality of the fishery over the last couple of years. I was just happy to be at the shore, though.

All in all a great day away from work. Want to get down again at least one more time...probably around thanksgiving..

clamchucker
11-05-2011, 04:26 PM
Fished the park this afternoon. The surf is still large. Managed 4 short bass on a diamond jig.

bababooey
11-05-2011, 04:36 PM
3 bass to 29", one on a bottle plug, 2 on rubber....
Fished 1 1/2 tides to get those fish.

Did I mention how frikkin cold it was out there?

Dark, 9 hours for 3 fish?:kooky:
There is a spot on my boat if you ever want to go out, just let me know. Of course, you would need to wash up with some good soap first!:laugh:

voyager35
11-05-2011, 04:46 PM
We worked the sandy hook channel with eels on the outgoing this morning, 3 stripers to 19lbs.

storminsteve
11-05-2011, 04:52 PM
Fished somoco 7-10am, nothing but brown water. Disgusting.

surfwalker
11-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Out front. Bucktails/metal. 5am-10am. Nothing doing, just a walk.

fishinmission78
11-05-2011, 05:28 PM
Fished oc from 2-5 just got done, snot was the ticket, needed 6oz, could barely hold, the snot rolling around was probably a good idea although not what I intended. 2 bass 29" and 32". Guys next to me plugging got nothing.

surferman
11-05-2011, 05:51 PM
Nice catch fishingmission! I fished a Cape May beach all afternoon with clams and only got one nasty skate. Please send some of those stripers down here!

wish4fish
11-05-2011, 06:21 PM
we need them up here first surfdude lol we fished rb last nite and got 10 stripes they were real small and they were hitting clams and worms. we need some bigger ones its like the big ones r here one night and the next nite they took off

wish4fish
11-05-2011, 06:23 PM
late report...

fished OC thursday - the early am tide thru dusk (w/a few breaks in between). Ocean was a bit angry when I first got there, calmed down a little at dawn, then the winds came blasting out of the south and the waves looked like hawaii 5-0. Skunkaroo. But there was some great moments:
1. the sunrise and the great weather.
2. the guy who found my plug bag that i left in the parking lot at 4:30am (couldn't thank him enough).
3. filling up my gas tank for 25 cents less a gallon than at home
4. the fine Onyx maduro cigar that i smoked Thurs afternoon.
5. Alot of friendly conversation w/ guys on the beach that I ran into (I think I could of made some good friends if I was able to stay a little longer). Lot of guys expressed frustration at the quality of the fishery over the last couple of years. I was just happy to be at the shore, though.

All in all a great day away from work. Want to get down again at least one more time...probably around thanksgiving..

hey dude at least u got out there we have bin fishin the bay cuz the ocean is like the perfect storm but any day on the water is a good one, tite lines dude!

vpass
11-05-2011, 09:52 PM
Got out today for the begining of the outgoing this afternoon. Seen alot of bait, and shad working them, it looked like rainfish. I did get a Hickory, and a huge skate. The skate was hooked in the mouth, I was using a 6 inch sluggo, and a teaser. Will be out in the morning. Lots of boats working in close.

hookset
11-06-2011, 05:59 AM
Fished oc last night, big surf, used needlefish, got one stargazer.

seamonkey
11-06-2011, 07:19 AM
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! If you have ever thought about what it would be like if someone thought you died, put you in a refrigerated box in the morgue, and you suddenly woke up screaming, only it wasn't a nightmare, it was really you in that box...well that kinda describes the fishin last night.....

Good imagination, no thanks dark!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdWXwpc67rk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0umyDKiAz6I&feature=related

Fished So occo this morning, one short bass on an ava with green tube.

Mike O
11-06-2011, 11:00 AM
Went to fish @ SH Sat. morning. The wind was so stiff it nearly ripped out my mustache! Went back later for dusk. I saw a lot of people fishing and the weather was real nice, but not a fish on the beach. Maybe that new plug will be my ticket to success. I think I'm gonna try real hard to stop farting in my waders. You think that might be the problem?

Mike O

williehookem
11-06-2011, 11:57 AM
I think I'm gonna try real hard to stop farting in my waders. You think that might be the problem?

Mike O

I think you should try to stop that, you might confuse darkskies as he stalks around in the night looking to find fish by smelling their farts. And jmo, farting in your waders when alone is not good. Far better to have your wife with you in the car when your doing it, otherwise all that good gas goes to waste.:)

bababooey
11-06-2011, 12:24 PM
willie, X2! And it's probably true, if a guy sleeps in a car all weekend and has waders that stand up on their own you know he probably seeks out fish farts because they make him feel at home.:laugh: As for farting in the car with the wife, yep I am guilty of that, but she can always open the window, try the dutch over where you do it under the covers. I bring home the bacon so she has to put up with it, aah the sweet smell of success.:pig:

storminsteve
11-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Fished moco this morning, one short bass on an ava. The surf is calming down a tad, it's definitely fishable.

fishinmission78
11-06-2011, 02:04 PM
OC, waded out low tide, 8 runts on t hex and teaser. 6 on the teaser.

plugaholic
11-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Congrats guys, I fished the north end of brigantine today, metal, skunko.

clamchucker
11-06-2011, 05:51 PM
Fished the park today, 4 bass to 15lbs, kept the largest. All bass were on clams. As storming steve said, the surf is cleaning up nicely.

porgy75
11-06-2011, 05:56 PM
Wow good job guys I fished nomoco today using metal and teasers. Could not even get a bump from one fish. Looks like ocean county is the place to be right now.

gjb1969
11-06-2011, 06:31 PM
i just got a call not to long ago the bass are here but its a boat thing the bass were not close to the beach but i was told it was good fishing pool fish was 28 lbs

bababooey
11-06-2011, 06:57 PM
gjb thanks for letting the surf rats here know that they should get their a*ses out on a boat asap. The bass were out in full numbers today and we crushed them. 22 bass to 19lbs, almost all of them being 28" and above. North of BI. I was a little worried as there weren't many smaller fish. All on the jigbite, a47 with green tails. 2 of us kept one fish each. It was a great day, and home in time for football.:drool:
Dark, you only have to say the word, I usually have an extra spot, and you are more than welcome to come out. A lot better than 9 hours for 3 fish, as long as you are willing to help clean the boat when we're done. And I will tell anyone aboard about your stinking waders. If you can roll with that, you're in, welcome aboard. Let me know. I don't know how long this bite will last.:HappyWave:

jigfreak
11-06-2011, 07:08 PM
Boat fish don't count.

bababooey
11-06-2011, 07:10 PM
Dude, are you for real? Of course they count. And they count as every last morsel of the fish we took home goes in my fat belly. Yumm yumm eat em up! Mmmmmmm.

gjb1969
11-06-2011, 07:16 PM
at this point who cares boat or beach most guys are not getting many keeped bass so u do what u have to !!! and the thing is i was invited to go but i could not get there oh well next time

cowherder
11-06-2011, 07:17 PM
Wow bababooey you slayed them awesome! A boat trip may be in my near future. At the very least I may move my surf fishing from moco to the Island Beach area. Thanks!

skinner
11-06-2011, 08:47 PM
i just got a call not to long ago the bass are here but its a boat thing the bass were not close to the beach but i was told it was good fishing pool fish was 28 lbs

gjb was that boat the golden eagle? Here is a report the guy just posted on the internet.

Jason and I hopped aboard the Golden Eagle for a day of jigging. Broke Shark River Inlet and made the steam south until we were well inside Island Beach State Park and joined the fleet that were working scattered patches of bird I started with a plain A47 and Jason with a green tailed A47. Nothing on the first drop and a short wiggle and Jason was soon putting a fat 33" bass on the deck. I soon followed with a big bluefish. We then both hooked up again at the sametime with bluefish. My next fish was a 35" bass. Jason's next fish gave him a limit of bass with a 31" that he released. I caught one more bluefish and lost another before the bite turned off as we came upon slack tide. Once the tide started moving again the bite came back strong. Well strong for most but me as it seemed they didn't want my plain jig. Those with red or green tails were into fish. I eventually changed to a red A47 and promptly missed 3 fish. I then put on a green and was able to catch 3 more big bluefish. Jason on the other hand was doing a number on bass catching another 5 up to #23 which he kept (others being released). There was some controversy over the pool. Jason's fish had a fatter belly and was slightly longer but on the balance scale it appeared that the other fish just narrowly beat him out (Note, I didn't witness the pool weight as I was getting the car but trust Jason's word). Jason asked to have the fish placed on the scale again but to put each fish on the opposite side of the scale that they were initially weighed on. The other person & his family started making noise about it wouldn't make a difference & refused. Jason however still walked off the boat a bigger man and with a healthy dose of good karma by his act of unselfishness and his passion to pass on the sport-Towards the end of the day there was a 8 year old would had not caught a fish, Jason hooked up and without and prompting from a soul he yelled for the young man to come over and Jason passed off his rod to this young boy and helped/coached him as he fought and eventually landed a nice 32" bass. This young man's face lit up brighter than the sun the whole time.
End of the day I totals; Jason had 8 fish (7 bass & 1 blue) while I had 7 fish (2 bass & 5 blues). Everyone went home with at least 1 bass (90% of the people limited) and well over 100 bluefish were caught.

hookset
11-06-2011, 08:51 PM
gjb was that boat the golden eagle? Here is a report the guy just posted on the internet.

Jason Jason asked to have the fish placed on the scale again but to put each fish on the opposite side of the scale that they were initially weighed on. The other person & his family started making noise about it wouldn't make a difference & refused. Jason however still walked off the boat a bigger man and with a healthy dose of good karma by his act of unselfishness and his passion to pass on the sport-Towards the end of the day there was a 8 year old would had not caught a fish, Jason hooked up and without and prompting from a soul he yelled for the young man to come over and Jason passed off his rod to this young boy and helped/coached him as he fought and eventually landed a nice 32" bass. This young man's face lit up brighter than the sun the whole time.
End of the day I totals; Jason had 8 fish (7 bass & 1 blue) while I had 7 fish (2 bass & 5 blues). Everyone went home with at least 1 bass (90% of the people limited) and well over 100 bluefish were caught.

Sounds like someone had an extra sinker in a fish and didn't want to be found out. Just sayin.
Congrats to that guy Jason for helping that 8 year old a fish. Hope that comes back to him a hundred fold.

gjb1969
11-06-2011, 10:09 PM
yup

Monty
11-07-2011, 12:35 PM
Fished Sunday morning, Bay side from 1:00 to 9:00.
Another skunk, fished most of the time with a friend who also ended up with the skunk.
Did not see any bait. Did see an enormous amount of boats headed out.

DarkSkies
11-07-2011, 09:30 PM
Did see an enormous amount of boats headed out.

Me too, Monty. With the hype over the inshore bass boat bite lately, the amount of boats in the daily armada going out there is probably equal to the numbers you see at the NY Boat show in the winter in NYC...:viking:

I started seeing them today, a steady stream. Boat fuel prices must really be dropping.....;)
Hey at least you got out, congrats to all the guys who are putting in effort now...:thumbsup:

Bababooey, thanks for your offer, I can go on a boat anytime, I'll keep it in mind....the thing about surfcasting...we have to suffer for our fish, it's written in the Official King Neptune Surfcasting Manual.....

"Ye must suffer for every fish that thou catches from the surf" :kooky: :laugh:

It's more fun that way, really it is...just ask Monty...:rolleyes:

Fished last night, place where some bigger fish have been caught, all dead water for 4 hours. Gave it up, slept a bit....back this afternoon to try to get in on the PM bite....the best way to do that would have been to get out on the bar....but the tide was coming in quick....I tried anyway, got a little wet.....fished with a S&A site member who had got some good numbers this morning....but we got blanked this afternoon. Metal has been the ticket for these surf bass.

Birds were on bait and fish anywhere from 250-500' out for several hours. The chief complaint of a lot of guys was that the fish were just out of reach.... and they were, except for the guys on the bar or those who could cast 250' each time....Even so, be aware that most of these fish are tiny schoolies....22" being the norm...with a few larger ones thrown in here and there...

Hey, that's fishin....:fishing:

SharkHart
11-07-2011, 10:16 PM
Finally got into some decent action sat and sunday night. Got about a dozen fish and lost half as many all sizes 22-33". Zooms on incomming was best. I found some fish in SNJ sat night popping nearly dead against the sods in 2 feet of water, where we usually wade in, i alerted my friends who were working the spot the following night, my friend only got one fish there but it was a massive 29lbs back bay fish, was just hanging out in the shallows. Monday I had a pick of Bass boat fishing, but a heavy concentration of bait and fish Ortley to LBI, cmon NW wind brong those Sand Eels in

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll194/SharkHart/DSC00596.jpghttp://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll194/SharkHart/DSC00592.jpg
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll194/SharkHart/DSC00585.jpg
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll194/SharkHart/DSC00591.jpg

no this is Not a vision
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll194/SharkHart/DSC00620.jpg

jigfreak
11-08-2011, 08:50 AM
my friend only got one fish there but it was a massive 29lbs back bay fish, was just hanging out in the shallows.

Nice!
Fished oc after work yesterday, 5 shorties on ava 27 before dark, you had to get past the bar.

finchaser
11-08-2011, 08:54 AM
Got 4 this am (6 to 7:30) 26 to 32 inches all on metal at the end of a long cast unfortunately it's time for more shi_ winds many pray for:kooky: no more west north west till Friday. People who left teasers on caught nothing as they couldn't reach the fish.

ledhead36
11-08-2011, 09:13 AM
. People who left teasers on caught nothing as they couldn't reach the fish.

Right on.There was a discussion on another site about people who don't use teasers, not catching as many fish. But if you can't reach the fish to catch them, a teaser don't do you much good, does it?
We fished the back last night with clams and worms. Still some fish around, but the fishing is hit and miss. 3 bass, only one was 28". 3 hours into the incoming tide.

chas527
11-08-2011, 12:50 PM
fished the hook this morning. nothing on clams.2shorts on metal.

clamchucker
11-08-2011, 01:17 PM
3 stripers to 26" this morning, diamond jigs, above the park.

SharkHart
11-08-2011, 01:21 PM
That is a great point about the teasers and casting. People how know idea how much they flutter and resist.

Other thoughts might be to bring the 10 foot rod

With the lack of surf blues tying a jig direct to braid will get you some additonal distance too

xtreme_visions
11-08-2011, 08:16 PM
Been awhile but im back to fishing :) fished a inlet monday and caught my 1st sun dial on clams. Gave the blackfish a try with the green grabs but no luck. Also caught my 1st ray & shark about 2 weeks ago. Going out again this week...cant wait!

DarkSkies
11-09-2011, 08:28 AM
. People who left teasers on caught nothing as they couldn't reach the fish.

Same thing this morning, Fin. Got a few calls saying folks saw fish feeding, but on the end of the furthest casts....coupled with the big swell coming from that offshore storm, it made it almost impossible to consistently get in the strike zone.

Yet some continue to stay married to teasers, no matter what. :huh:
As Shark mentioned, sometimes you need that extra distance, it's critical to whether you get to where the fish are. Miss it and you get no action at all......

So learn from these valuable tips here, people...:learn:
Teasers are great for when the fish are in tight, but they can ba a handicap when you need maximum distance on your cast....

Monty
11-09-2011, 09:55 AM
So learn from these valuable tips here, people...:learn:
Teasers are great for when the fish are in tight, but they can ba a handicap when you need maximum distance on your cast....
Last three outings I fished without a teaser almost 90% of the time.
The one bass I did get there is no way I would have reached it with a teaser.
The other bass I caught (earlier in the week was on the teaser).
I'm thinking I can get 20 extra yards easy without a teaser at times. makes a difference.
Gotta think out there.......though most of the time it does not help me.:kooky:

DarkSkies
11-10-2011, 06:35 AM
Gotta think out there.......though most of the time it does not help me.:kooky:

Don't sell yourself short, Monty. You're one of the most analytical, and compulsive ;) fishermen I know.... :thumbsup:

Fished with a few S&A site members last night., we hit it hard at some of the most promising night spots in that area, back bays.....

The pea-soup fog and high temps (20 degrees higher than they had been in the last week) made for a golden :drool: opportunity. There were some folks sneaking in to places they would normally not have access to....hooded shadows in the night.....it was like a Steven King movie.....:cool: Alas, someone forgot to tell the fish we were looking for them, oops....only creature we could find was the :skunk:.

We did have some good times and some good stories in the dense fog, despite the lack of fish. :HappyWave:

I wasn't willing to accept that, made one more stop on the way home, for some further humiliation...http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon11.png not a tap...I'm praying the NW winds forecast will kick things up a bit and line the fish up so they come closer to the coast in a hopefully smaller surf....

vpass
11-10-2011, 10:06 AM
Fished this morning from 6 to 9:00am and got 1 short on a hopkin. Waves were building as the morning progressed. I hate fishing metals.

finchaser
11-10-2011, 10:43 AM
I hate big waves and northeasters except for the start of a NE blow

captnemo
11-10-2011, 06:34 PM
We had a good morning jigging bass. 17 bass to 23lbs, kept 2. South of BI. All on ava jigs with green tails, A27-47

seamonkey
11-10-2011, 07:14 PM
Got 2 bass to 35" last night into this morning, bunker chunks. LBI

vpass
11-10-2011, 07:47 PM
^^ Nice going guys.

I fished again this afternoon from 3:30pm to 6:00pm. I got another short on the same hopkin. There is a strong south to north sweep, and the waves were 5 to 6.5 feet. The winds started blowing from the west around 4:30Pm. I did notice a few extra yards on my cast.

cowherder
11-10-2011, 08:06 PM
Wow good job guys!
I went to ocean county after work. Vpass you are absolutely correct the waves are big and crashing on the beach. I tried anyway with a heavy ava jig, but no hits for me.

jigfreak
11-10-2011, 11:50 PM
4 bass to 19lbs tonight. I love how the 19 inchers turn into 19 pounders in the dark. Let the googs play with the smaller fish. It was tough to get out there, but they were at the end of the cast on the outgoing tide. Needles and pt jude tins.

GeoffT
11-11-2011, 09:54 AM
Last night, ten bass on a white SS darter. No teaser. ;)

First six were slot-sized the last four were keepers between 12-16 lbs. They fought much bigger than they were.

The bite became more active when the full moon snuck behind the clouds and rain came down.

Surf was huge with beautiful white water. Outgoing, wind out of the NW but wasn't honking.

finchaser
11-11-2011, 02:56 PM
This am from 6 to 8 had 5 bass to 13# dropped 2 others and missed 4 all on metal all released .:clapping:

I was mugged by a googan extraordinarie who kept taking pictures of me and the fish:HappyWave:

gjb1969
11-11-2011, 03:17 PM
did u throw him in the water:ROFLMAO

DarkSkies
11-11-2011, 11:50 PM
I was mugged by a googan extraordinarie who kept taking pictures of me and the fish:HappyWave:

did u throw him in the water:ROFLMAO

I fished last night, was off my plugging game after I got mugged by a clam fisherman at 3am....despite having miles of good water to the N or S of us, he decided the only water that held fish was 20' to the left of me....:kooky: there must be something about me that draws lunatics within casting distance ....:bucktooth:

Couldn't buy a fish in the dark, my congrats to those who hooked up in that big surf under the full moon..:clapping: :thumbsup:
I even threw this monster needle fish specially made for me by Surfstix. :HappyWave: That thing weighs over 4 oz and cast a mile in the big surf. :drool:

Jumped back and forth like a jumping bean to a few areas. At sunrise I wandered aimlessly like a starving man in the Sahara desert...wondering if I might sign up somewhere for dillydock school...:rolleyes:

Eventually I came upon an awesome sight....a bunch of old basstards schooling all the younger guys in the ways of the surf....:scared:. One of them was mean and grouchy...he was into a few fish. Knowing that I can't catch a fish on my own, ;) I mugged the old grouchy basstard and his esteemed friends, some of NJ's greatest surf fishing legends.

The fish where we were, weren't there in the numbers some others saw this morning. We still had a slow pick of migrating fish to 33". I took some pics of the old geezers as they were into fish, all C&R. :thumbsup:

All at the furthest end of the casts.... no one fishing on the beach we were at was using a teaser.

I nailed one and dropped another, before the bite died around 7am. There were a few beaches where the bite continued, sorry to see I missed out. The grouchy company more than made up for it, as the ball busting these grouches do is second to none....had a great time as usual, :HappyWave:hopefully back at it tomorrow...:fishing:

fishinmission78
11-12-2011, 01:05 AM
All at the furthest end of the casts.... no one fishing on the beach we were at was using a teaser.

Tonight they were a little closer if you got out and waded. Got 6 to 31" on needlefish, metal, and bottle plugs. You had to move a bit to pick them off.

vpass
11-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Late report for yesterday 11/11/11. I got on the beach late due to traffic. I did witness many rod bent and fish being landed. As soon as I casted the bite stopped. I got on the beach at 6:45am.:embarassed:

Today I was the 4th guy in the area I was fishing. It was a steady pick for others around me. By 6:00 to 6:30am it was arm to arm as far as you could see on either side of me. I had 2 fish on for a moment and dropped them both. did have some bumps early, and thought it was going to be a great day for me, I shouldn't have thought that.:rolleyes: Tomorrow is another day.:drool:

finchaser
11-12-2011, 01:48 PM
fished out front again this morning 6 to 7:30 AM. Caught 6 bass, 4 were shorts to 26 inches 1 around 12 pounds and 1 around 16 pounds all on metal. Released 5 and gave one to a really nice guy who is learning to eat fish. Amazingly didn't get mugged again by an S&A Googan who thinks he is a descendant of Walt Disney.

DarkSkies
11-12-2011, 10:43 PM
Amazingly didn't get mugged again by an S&A Googan who thinks he is a descendant of Walt Disney.

That's cuz my lazy azz slept in this morning....I woke up at 6am and missed the window.....http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png

Alas, there was no Darkskies tour director to direct the S&A sitemembers to the grouchy old basstards crew....:laugh: heard Surfwalker and Vpass rolled on by and they couldn't recognize ya....I should have told them to look for the old geezer on the beach who was high hook...;)

And I didn't get to see Killie hookin a seagull on his 2nd cast. Being the bird man that I am, if I was there I woulda had to take 30 pics for posterity....:ROFLMAO

Glad ya's all got fish, sorry I missed it.......

After class today, took Pebbles to moco late this afternoon to try our luck at some beaches. The bait had been building all day but was too far off to do surf guys any good. We gave it our best shot anyway. Made 3 stops, surf was calming down, still some mid-period swells, but definitely fishable. Not a tap at any place we stopped. :skunk:Back at it in the AM.

fishinmission78
11-12-2011, 11:08 PM
Got 3 to 31" this morning on t-hex 2 oz. Fished tonight on the outgoing, zero.

finchaser
11-13-2011, 05:24 AM
That's cuz my lazy azz slept in this morning....I woke up at 6am and missed the window.....http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png

Alas, there was no Darkskies tour director to direct the S&A sitemembers to the grouchy old basstards crew....:laugh: heard Surfwalker and Vpass rolled on by and they couldn't recognize ya....I should have told them to look for the old geezer on the beach who was high hook...;)

And I didn't get to see Killie hookin a seagull on his 2nd cast. Being the bird man that I am, if I was there I woulda had to take 30 pics for posterity....:ROFLMAO

Glad ya's all got fish, sorry I missed it.......

After class today, took Pebbles to moco late this afternoon to try our luck at some beaches. The bait had been building all day but was too far off to do surf guys any good. We gave it our best shot anyway. Made 3 stops, surf was calming down, still some mid-period swells, but definitely fishable. Not a tap at any place we stopped. :skunk:Back at it in the AM.

Yeah heard the precious bunker were up there and took most fish with it off the beaches. those things are a pain in the a_s for surf guy's IMO

Well it's 5:15 got to go and try to catch some fish don't want to miss the the as you say window got to meet up with mottly crew in 15 miniutes later

surfwalker
11-13-2011, 08:13 AM
Sat Morning- Out front- first stop- 5:30am-8am- some short Bass on Ava's. Dark, did see someone tangle with a gull to my south there. 9:30am-12:30, moved to my regular area-dead. Did see many bunker dimpling the water, no preditors seen.

DarkSkies
11-13-2011, 10:51 AM
Yeah heard the precious bunker were up there and took most fish with it off the beaches. those things are a pain in the a_s for surf guy's IMO

Bunker suck all the fish from an area like a vacuum. I took Pebbles to Moco last night, fish were caught in the day, slow pick. Then bunker came along, and as they slid off the beach at night took all predators with them. Even the birds that usually sit at one lighted area, were completely gone....

Dark, did see someone tangle with a gull to my south there. .

That would have been the infamous Killie, heard that gull gave him a run for his $$. Dude, bring a towel next time....:laugh: :HappyWave:

Fished the ocean 6-7:30AM.
A friend from the NS of LI came down to see how we do it in NJ.
Adam's a Crazy Skisher who fishes the NS, some sick stories. :scared: Enjoyed them all, hope ya got some more fish after we left...:HappyWave:

Adam got one bass, dropped 1.
Same for me, slow pick all around where we were. Some guys got no fish at all.
All fish at the furthest end of the cast...heavy metal worked for us.

Ran into another site member, some more stories.
Had to cut out early.
Heard I missed out on a surf seminar....I'm sure my life will now be more empty and bleak having missed it.

As I was leaving, I was in contact with another Site member.
As Googan of the Fall and Whitewater Nutcase, he's a little out there....:kooky:

I don't want to jinx him, as he's still out there, hitting it hard, and catching periodically...but he may win a prize for high hook from the surf today...only one guy got more fish so far, and that was with a 11 1/2' rod....

So I'm hoping he bests those numbers, if not, he's #2 so far....:clapping: :thumbsup:
Catch em up you whitewater freak! :headbang:

finchaser
11-13-2011, 11:27 AM
Way to go Monty:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

I had 2 fish to 27" this am on metal at end of cast.

Wish the big blues would come in and chop the sh_t out of these bunker. For the life of me I can't believe people say there's a shortage. On a famous snag and drop jetty in Monmouth county elbow to elbow they stood with pencil poppers and snag rigs waiting for the bunker to show again today where 1 fish was caught yesterday. To the south you couldn't get another car in the lot as they snagged and dropped for hours all they did was kill what they want to save, while people in area's where there were no bunker caught fish.:huh:

Monty
11-13-2011, 11:30 AM
Fished this morning normal ocean side area from 1:00 to 3:00, 1 short bass on a SS needle (surfstix gave me a few pointers, hadn't caught a fish on a needle in years), moved to another ocean side area fished 4:00 to 10:00 and picked up 8 more bass, 25 inch to 32 inch. One on a bottle darter, the others on Ava 27 and 37 with red tail (no teaser). All put back, was fighting what was the largest one around 8:00 and during the fight decided I would keep it. I promptly lost it in the wash (knuckle head). Lost another 4 or 5 fish (one on a popper). Was lots of fun, shoulder shot, needed looooong casts. Surf was calming down, not that much white water (LOL).
Fishing 1x a week and reading everyone's reports, and helpful hints/info really helps, thanks guys.

vpass
11-13-2011, 12:08 PM
Good going Monty, Glad you got into them good. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I got 1 on a hopkin about 27 inches this morning. I'm going to head out in about hour from now and hope to add to my total catch for the day. I do want to bring one home for dinner.

clamchucker
11-13-2011, 09:12 PM
3 bass to 30" this morning on a 3 oz diamond jig. I went back this afternoon but it was too windy. A little above the park.

jigfreak
11-13-2011, 09:30 PM
Yeah clamchucker I went back too and it was too sporty. S winds suck. Managed 2 at first light on a 2 oz t hex. Like you guys said furthest end of the cast. Some nice numbers there, Monty, most fish I heard of for today.

cowherder
11-13-2011, 10:16 PM
Wow monty great catching! And congrats on releasing the keepers too, seems like you had a banner day!
I fished OC this morning and got one bass 26" on an ava27 with green teaser.

hookset
11-13-2011, 10:31 PM
Fished nomoco for the morning shift. 2 bass to 27"on bucktail and 8" white grub. The surf was a bit dirty. they are dredging in the area and I wondered if that had anything to do with it. The bait guys hooked up with nothing but skates. Outstanding catch Monty!

baitstealer
11-13-2011, 10:41 PM
I fished Island Beach this afternoon. It was very windy with the tide coming in there was a lot of flat spots. I got one skate using clams, and just before we were going to leave got one 21" striped bass, released quickly. That was it.

DarkSkies
11-13-2011, 11:14 PM
Wish the big blues would come in and chop the sh_t out of these bunker. For the life of me I can't believe people say there's a shortage. To the south you couldn't get another car in the lot as they snagged and dropped for hours all they did was kill what they want to save, while people in area's where there were no bunker caught fish.:huh:

Bunker suck all the fish from an area like a vacuum. ...bunker came along, and as they slid off the beach at night took all predators with them. Even the birds that usually sit at one lighted area, were completely gone....

Gotta say I agree with the OGB on this one. Last night they drained all the fish out of that nomoco area, and today the bunker just got in the way of a good sandeel bite.

As I was leaving, I was in contact with another Site member.
As Googan of the Fall and Whitewater Nutcase, he's a little out there....:kooky:

I don't want to jinx him, as he's still out there, hitting it hard, and catching periodically...but he may win a prize for high hook from the surf today...only one guy got more fish so far, and that was with a 11 1/2' rod....

So I'm hoping he bests those numbers, if not, he's #2 so far....:clapping: :thumbsup:
Catch em up you whitewater freak! :headbang:

[
Fished this morning normal ocean side area from 1:00 to 3:00, 1 short bass on a SS needle (surfstix gave me a few pointers, hadn't caught a fish on a needle in years), moved to another ocean side area fished 4:00 to 10:00 and picked up 8 more bass, 25 inch to 32 inch. One on a bottle darter, the others on Ava 27 and 37 with red tail (no teaser). All put back, was fighting what was the largest one around 8:00 and during the fight decided I would keep it. I promptly lost it in the wash (knuckle head). Lost another 4 or 5 fish (one on a popper). Was lots of fun, shoulder shot, needed looooong casts. Surf was calming down, not that much white water (LOL).
Fishing 1x a week and reading everyone's reports, and helpful hints/info really helps, thanks guys.

Monty, the numbers aren't all officially in...but I think ya came in #2 for where you fished, and 10 miles N and S of you today....:clapping::clapping: :thumbsup:
9 bass total, C&R a few keepers,,,,outstanding effort!

A few others got some impressive numbers, while most guys got 1 or 2, or none....
14 was the highest I heard of by one single angler...
Also, Mikey Bonz and his friend, representing Staten Island, got 15 at IBSP, but that was between the 2 of them...and the guy who got 14 was using an 11 1/2' rod...why he might as well have been using a rocket launcher....should be disqualified....;) :)

So, as of 11:11pm, I think it's safe to award ya the Stripers and Anglers Sunday Googan High Hook award,.....for 2nd highest hook. today...:laugh:

Congrats and WTG on your persistence, bro, really proud of ya! :clapping: :thumbsup:
You are a true surf madman...but yer still a googan who has an unnatural fixation on punishment and white water.....:ROFLMAO

Monty
11-13-2011, 11:38 PM
...but yer still a googan who has an unnatural fixation on punishment and white water.....:ROFLMAO[/COLOR]
LOL, with 5 cats.
Its uncommon for me to catch more than 1 bass in an outing this year. In my log most outings have 1 bass caught, stingy bass year.

c4charlie
11-14-2011, 10:27 AM
Got out Friday night out front and caught 5 stripers to 29" (teaser,magdarter and bomber) NOMOCO.

Been out 3 times the past week fishing the rivers in the NW portion of the state for trout. Been catching some browns, rainbows and brookies. Practicing my skillz for my upcoming steelhead trip this weekend. I have been taking my little guys and they are having a blast fishing, playing riverside and landing the fish. Unfortunately, they have not been lucky to catch one yet. Action has been slow and they are still young and tire from continuous casting. Plus they are always finding other fun things to do along the river.

I may go back to the saltwater tonight.

GeoffT
11-14-2011, 03:18 PM
Great reports finchaser, Monty and Charlie and everyone else!

After last Thursday's great night bite, I went back to the same areas Saturday night (no, not even anywhere close to the OC ava/teaser fishing areas - no need and nobody else there too ;) ). Unfortunately, the big swells and huge surf that made for the great fishing Thursday night were both absent this time. Plus, the bright full moon and S (I was hoping for more SW) wind made for a lethal combination. I managed only one short on a white chicken scratch mag bomber. Had another small fish hooked but dropped it on a chartruese darter. Otherwise, a big fat nothing.

But...."I'll be back!" :headbang:

vpass
11-14-2011, 09:15 PM
Fished from 4pm to 7:00 pm. Found bass feeding on rainfish.( swirls, and splashing) I used a 3/4 oz jig head with 4inch sluggo, and caught 5 bass from 20 to 25 inches. had many hits. seen peanuts, and shads lots of bait fish around. There was also no wind during the time the bass were active. Wished i took my flyrod instead.

Pebbles
11-14-2011, 10:05 PM
I am so glad to see that everyone is catching. For some reason I am missing out on all that action. I went out with Dark, saturday night and got nothing. I think the bass are to tricky for me to catch. I can feel the hit but never seem to be able to hook them. Any suggestions?
I want to have some fun too!!!

finchaser
11-15-2011, 10:22 AM
I am so glad to see that everyone is catching. For some reason I am missing out on all that action. I went out with Dark, saturday night and got nothing. I think the bass are to tricky for me to catch. I can feel the hit but never seem to be able to hook them. Any suggestions?

He won't listen that it's a first light day bite, tell him to take you then.

finchaser
11-15-2011, 10:25 AM
This AM from 6 to 7:30 had 6 bass 24 to 27" and 3 bass 31 to 34 inches all on metal all still swimming.

DarkSkies
11-15-2011, 12:04 PM
I am so glad to see that everyone is catching. For some reason I am missing out on all that action. I went out with Dark, saturday night and got nothing. !

That's because I took her to some "easy pickins" areas, but the day's bunker had sucked every single fish out of that area by night. That didn't stop the report chasers and snag and drop crew, who were on the famous jetty at first light, waiting for the bunker to show up....that never did...:rolleyes:

Fished Mon morning, visited many areas in a 6 mile stretch, walking out on the bar at 3 am and stubbornly refusing to believe there was no nite bite.....

For the dawn bite, I was on one of the only beaches where fish weren't hammered. :beatin:

A friend and I got stopped by the CO's when coming out, and they checked our vehicles in the street. Good for them, very glad to see those guys around....:clapping::clapping: :thumbsup: In conversation with them I learned that fish were hit on all the beaches I visited in the dark, 3 hours before the actual bite started....what a frikking goofball I am...:bucktooth:

I'm harder on myself than most people, and was extremely disappointed in my performance that morning...spent the rest of the day with a few good friends, a handful of bass were caught. Not a single one by me, I need a longer rod. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png

Part 2, slept in the car, boy did it smell when I got back in there after stopping at a public bathroom....:upck:

Missed the main part of the bite today as I got to the beach and single handedly shut it down....:laugh:......the sweep was killer as the tide came in..if you waded out too far it would cut your off at the knees...did run into some of the S&A site members, always a pleasure to see ya's.

Then, undaunted, left for another beach where I pulled one short bass out of a big hole..metal.....

At times, I think a trained monkey with an 11' rod could do better than me with this metal bite....time to look at a longer rod...or jump into Monty's house in the middle of the night and steal his Googan Certificate off the wall...:laugh:

jigfreak
11-15-2011, 12:32 PM
Dark, it's all about the cast, all fish I got today were within 3 cranks of the reel. Don't be so hard on yourself, you were doing ok a few weeks ago. Keep at it, the fish are there. Got 8 to 33" this morning, t-hex 3 oz, fish were at the end of the longest casts.

vpass
11-15-2011, 12:36 PM
I fished this am from 5:30 to 7:30. Got 2 bass 1 at 27 inches that had a american littorial society Tag ( the tag number is: 762330 just in case any of you tag fish. I'm sending the tag back to ALS can't wait to get the reply back from where it was taged.):) and 1 that was 26 inches. I miss many fish also. I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong. Maybe that's normal when fishing with metal. It was nice meeting some of the S&A members.:HappyWave:

jigfreak
11-15-2011, 12:40 PM
vpass with the big sweep it's easy for them to get unhooked. I never give them an inch of slack. And always fish with braid as it's less elastic and restults in more fish landed. I assume you are fishing with braid, no? Also with the cloudy water this week I think it's hard for them to see it all the time. I think they go for it, miss, and then the opportunity is gone. I dropped 3 fish today myself.

vpass
11-15-2011, 01:02 PM
vpass with the big sweep it's easy for them to get unhooked. I never give them an inch of slack. And always fish with braid as it's less elastic and restults in more fish landed. I assume you are fishing with braid, no? Also with the cloudy water this week I think it's hard for them to see it all the time. I think they go for it, miss, and then the opportunity is gone. I dropped 3 fish today myself.

I'm using fireline, I'm thinking with the sweep there is a delay and slack in the line. Sweep was so bad the I was afaid of hooking the guy on my left a few times. i was using Ava 27. I did use Ava47 but was not getting any hits, it could be by chance( fish not in front of me).

finchaser
11-15-2011, 03:32 PM
I fished this am from 5:30 to 7:30. Got 2 bass 1 at 27 inches that had a american littorial society Tag ( the tag number is: 762330 just in case any of you tag fish. I'm sending the tag back to ALS can't wait to get the reply back from where it was taged.):) and 1 that was 26 inches. I miss many fish also. I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong. Maybe that's normal when fishing with metal. It was nice meeting some of the S&A members.:HappyWave:

V it was nice meeting you today it's always nice to put a face to a screen name.

storminsteve
11-15-2011, 07:06 PM
finchaser and jigfreak nice catches! I fished occo this morning and it was way crowded. Like you guys said the sweep was almost directly sideways and a lot of guys got tangled up with that. I got 2 fish, way at the and of my casts, using a T-HEX 3 ounces.

fishinmission78
11-15-2011, 07:23 PM
Managed 4 shorts and 1 keeper in the am, 6:30ish, in OC on metal.

finchaser
11-16-2011, 01:41 PM
This AM 11 bass total 5 were keeper size to 34" all on metal all still swimming.

vpass
11-16-2011, 03:18 PM
This morning from 6am to 7:30am 3 Bass 1 30 inches which I kept for dinner, and 2 at 27 inches. Then I went fly fishing in the second location from 9:30am to 11:30am, I caught 24 or more shad. These were the biggest shad I ever seen. and were jumping when hooked like little tarpon, but I got bored after the First Doz. I did see little bass taken, but I don't think the shad would not give you a chance for bass in that location.

vpass
11-16-2011, 03:23 PM
This AM 11 bass total 5 were keeper size to 34" all on metal all still swimming.

Nice going Fin. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

mick2360
11-16-2011, 03:58 PM

Pebbles, Frank Gaignault in Stripersurf had an interesting theory; he felt that these bumps were actually stripers using their fins to stun bait. I have heard others suggest that stripers will use their tails to strike bait before coming around to engulf it. The theory is that if you don't react to these false strikes and let the lure 'drift' momentarily (like say, a ten count) you may hook up to this kind of fish.

Not sure about this but after a couple of false strikes, I'd be willing to give this tactic a try. Any thoughts out there?

DarkSkies
11-16-2011, 07:44 PM
The theory is that if you don't react to these false strikes and let the lure 'drift' momentarily (like say, a ten count) you may hook up to this kind of fish.

Not sure about this but after a couple of false strikes, I'd be willing to give this tactic a try. Any thoughts out there?

I think we all have different ways of looking at things, Mick.:HappyWave:

When a bass hits my presentation, there's no hesitation (unless I'm half asleep, which is usually the case lately....cause I don't know any better than to fish all night....:rolleyes:)
As soon as I feel it, I'm setting the hook to cross his/her eyes.... :headbang:
That's probably because of where I'm fishin lately the water is a little dirty. I know that if you miss the first strike, you usually miss that fish....there ain't no second chances....unless you're fishing with Finchaser and you accidentally hook into one of the few fish he drops.....:laugh: ;)

Rainfish in the house....
Fished last night, it was tough.

Where I was, bass were periodically popping on rainfish....,managed 2 bass to 30" on rubber, both released. It was a slow pick as I really couldnt dial into the right presentation for that area....http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png

As the tide turned, went to another area, where I was greeted with bass feverishly feeding on rainfish....there were hundreds of them within a 1/4 square mile area....very exciting to see and be around, they were so close that some bass splashed water in my face, the nerve of those striped pajama basstids! :beatin:

I hadn't seen this level of night-time feeding activity in over 3 years. I watched, fascinated, as they rolled and crashed rainfish which were schooled by the thousands....at one point I was wishing I could have shot a video to show you folks, but the location wasn't conducive to that.

I racked my brains trying to entice those fish....
every small plug I had...
every piece of rubber, and color....
Finally, in desperation, I made a long walk back to my car, feverishly tearing up my gear and tackle in the back, looking for a casting egg that Speedy made for me, in hopes of bringing that back, with a teaser, and rolling it out there, and fishing it like a fly.....

Alas, couldn't find it, as I cleaned out my car weeks ago to cut down on all the extra "What if" crap I've been carrying.....:o

So I made the long walk back, and gave it every effort I had for 2 1/2 hours. Not a tap from those fish, although I could feel them as my plug, jig, or teaser brushed against them. I thought to myself, there are so many bass that if I had a snag hook, I could snag one,.,,,,,but there was no was they would touch anything I had......

Still, it was a great experience just to be out there and watch them feed like that. :drool:
Most bass were in the 20-26" range....every few minutes a bass in the mid teens would roll or crash the bait, some even within 20' of me....it was a humbling experience for sure....

A fly guy would have crushed em, landing a minimum of 50 bass, the action was that frantic....but nothing for me (and another guy who was there and couldn't get a touch either) except a ringside seat to one of nature's great battles between predator and prey...kinda made me glad to be at the top of the food chain....:cool:

mick2360
11-16-2011, 08:45 PM
I believe Daignault was suggesting this technique for those times when you've been repeatedly 'bumped', set the hook and whiffed. Sounds good but the reflex to set the hook is strong.

fishjay
11-17-2011, 10:56 AM
OFFC;

after some prodding by dark, two of us tried late yesterday afternoon into the nite. caught 4 stripers to 28" on various plugs. fish hit at low tide and left after the tide started to come in. Makes no sense but that's fishing.
Thanks Dark for the prodding.

vpass
11-17-2011, 11:18 AM
This morning from 5:30am to 9:00am. 4 Bass to 26 inches. got 2 on needlefish and 2 on metal. A seal popped up in front of me off to my right and I believe shut down the bite when it should of peaked. It was nice to see some of the guys into fish this morning.

finchaser
11-17-2011, 11:46 AM
This AM 6 to 8 had 4 bass to 32 inches 1 on SS needle fish and 3 on metal all released then the seal came and it ended. good seeing you again V

fishinmission78
11-17-2011, 05:18 PM
Fished oc before work today, 3 to 31", metal. Bunker were far out, I wish they would all go to virginia already.

finchaser
11-17-2011, 06:14 PM
Fished oc before work today, 3 to 31", metal. Bunker were far out, I wish they would all go to virginia already.

Yeah the bunker:2flip: are a pain in the as_ this is 3 times in as many weeks they have ruined the fall run on the beach, where are the big blues when you need them

DarkSkies
11-17-2011, 07:12 PM
^^ Big blues one inlet down, got some calls they crushed the blues in the surf today...

Fished last night for an hour, flood tide, lots of small bait (this time winter spearing, early arrival) but no predators on them.
Slept in the car, hit it for the AM bite, had some googan issues and couldn't catch a fish. :bucktooth: Dropped 2 over a 2 hour period, that was the best I could do... :beatin:

Meanwhile, the day clearly belonged to the Old Grouchy Basstards (are ya up to 50 C&R for this week yet?) and the Old Farts on the beach...
the young turks on the beach we were at were again crushed by OGB and some other old Geezers...one of them, "Uncle Al", is 68 and got into 7 nice fish, wading up to his neck to get out on the bar to get them... WTG, Al!

Then met up with a S&A site member who is on vacation this week. We did some scouting. I couldn't find any swans, and wouldn't have been able to take pics of them anyway...
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?8117-No-more-Swans-and-Fish-rejoice

so we decided to concentrate on fishing. Found a limited ocean bite around the tide change. We each managed 2 short bass on metal in the rain.

Later we met up with some of the Old Farts Fishing Club (OFFC) as we had to leave, hope they got some. What fascinates me is that the OFFC has been able to get fish at the end of the day by plugging...I would rather plug than jig as to me it's more exciting and challenging,. requires true finesse to stick those bass...but they're getting it done, a few bass at a time, way to go, guys!

DarkSkies
11-17-2011, 07:34 PM
OFFC;

after some prodding by dark, two of us tried late yesterday afternoon into the nite. caught 4 stripers to 28" on various plugs. fish hit at low tide and left after the tide started to come in. Makes no sense but that's fishing.
Thanks Dark for the prodding.

You guys are an inspiration to all. :thumbsup: You stay on the beach long after everyone else has gone, just for a chance at a fish or 2. You have more stamina than guys half your age....:kicknuts:and you have imparted valuable conservation principles to me and anyone else who will listen...very happy to help ya's. :HappyWave:

Glad ya didn't mind my pushiness..some people do....:laugh: :kooky: :fishing:

storminsteve
11-17-2011, 09:00 PM
Meanwhile, the day clearly belonged to the Old Grouchy Basstards (are ya up to 50 C&R for this week yet?) and the Old Farts on the beach...
the young turks on the beach we were at were again crushed by OGB and some other old Geezers...one of them, "Uncle Al", is 68 and got into 7 nice fish, wading up to his neck to get out on the bar to get them... WTG, Al!

You guys are an inspiration to all. :thumbsup: You stay on the beach long after everyone else has gone, just for a chance at a fish or 2. You have more stamina than guys half your age....:kicknuts:and you have imparted valuable conservation principles to me and anyone else who will listen...very happy to help ya's. :HappyWave:

Glad ya didn't mind my pushiness..some people do....:laugh: :kooky: :fishing:

:clapping:Kudos to the old guys/geezers/farts/and bastards. looks like we could learn a lot from them.

cowherder
11-17-2011, 10:39 PM
Way to get at them guys, hopefully I have something to report this weekend. Moco has been dead lately.

finchaser
11-18-2011, 09:18 AM
Fished this AM 6 to 7:30 got 2 bass to 26" on SS needle fish. Very little signs of life. Looks like the fish schooled up on Wednesday and moved out and south. Not looking good as Monmouth county is dead and IMo will probably stay that way. On the bright side the cold kept the cell phone crew at home.

vpass
11-18-2011, 11:41 AM
Fished this morning from 5am to 7:30am. on my 3rd cast using a needlefish I got a bass about 20inches. then it was dead. all the birds were on the beach. the ocean looked like a lake. It is almost over for the bigger bass.

I thinking of catching shad on the 4wt flyrod. gone bring it along with my 7wt, and 10wt, looking for a windless day for the 4wt with a 4 pound tippet and a barbless fly.

LennyD
11-18-2011, 12:16 PM
Fished oc area last nite from 7-10 incoming.
Water was still little too low.
No bites

SharkHart
11-18-2011, 05:01 PM
Ibsp was hot this am, we had about 70 between 5 of us, no bar- no fish. No long cast - no fish. Found a half dozen to 34" night before

DarkSkies
11-18-2011, 09:06 PM
Fished with some of the old salts this am, and ran into a few S&A sitemembers as well....:HappyWave:
The fish didn't get the memo that we were on the hunt, and Fin was high hook at the beach we waded at....nothing but small fish where we were...http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png

Highlights of the Sunrise (non)bite....

* The guy to our left who was high hook for the whole beach, hooking 3 skates within a 10 minute period...

* Meeting one of the members of the Oceans 11 Crew, more on the Ocean 11 in the C&R thread....
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?5854-Catch-and-release-thread

* Running into S&A member, (and internet troublemaker) :laugh: :thumbsup: :HappyWave: Simp and his crew...a hardcore bunch of surfcasters that despite the lack of bait and fish at our location, still managed to hook a few in the cold morning temps of 35 degrees.... Sonny moved to Texas, but is back for a bit with his son...I wish at least his son gets some fish during their trip...nice running into ya's! :HappyWave:

The bite in our area died around 7, and we left soon after. I stayed out and met up with another site member on vacation this week, he had gotten 10 bass to 30"...when I got there the bite died, or maybe it was my waders....:eek:

After a refreshing dump and coffee refill at WaWa, I lucked into news about some feeding fish...:HappyWave: the bite was dead by the time I got there, but that's fishin...and I used that opportunity to plan a trip back to that beach another time. There was a lot of bait (sand eels)in that area, more so than other areas, so I could see why things were so hot...:fishing:

Undaunted, I made a 30 mile trip S to another inlet area...right away found a new shore blackfish spot as I was making the rounds like a politician....:rolleyes:

Then scouted half of the beaches there, only to learn that they have the same bite as us, usually 5:30-7:30 before it shuts off....http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png

Afternoon...
My friend got into some monster blues, some of the first I have heard of this year in the Ocean County surf...I have been waiting all year for a crack at these gorillas, and have emphatically stated I would rather chase big blues all season than settle for a few small 24" bass( some occasionally bigger) in the Spring or Fall.

So I raced back to fish for those gator bluefish...
The thing is....
they were picky...:huh: :don't know why:

Everytime I read someone post how easy it is to catch bluefish...I want to invite them to see how difficult it is for us to catch them at night,...or along on a trip like today, when you had one bluefish for every 150 casts....:embarassed:

It was definitely a challenge....they were on small bait, and only visible sporadically for a second when they pushed it to the surface....

There was a line of birds that kept working about 500' offshore, our only indication that the blues were still there....

Members of the OFFC came out today and scouted the waters as well, ending up fishing S of us.....

My friend managed 2 more blues, I managed 1, in the next 2 hours, on small swimmers. Blues were 9-14#. I have to say they put up a great fight, and are worthy adversaries...I was happy, for a few minutes...:viking:

I think the OFFC managed a few as well...

I also managed 2 tiny bass on plugs before dark...almost not worth the effort in the dropping temps and cold water and wind....
As I was walking back to my car, fingers frozen, I was analyzing how hard it is to put a catch together this season....and the lengths of the obsession some of us will go to, just to get a fish, or 2....:kooky:

The good thing I got out of this is that I can confirm that big bluefish are definitely in the Ocean County surf, but they are very challenging to catch....a line of surfcasters 10 strong about 1/4 mile to our N managed nothing for the end of day bite....I say this not to brag, but to let people know out there that the bite is so specific this fall that if you are just one beach down from one where they are catching, you could end up catching nothing but a cold.....:)

finchaser
11-18-2011, 09:32 PM
Sounds like you and your camera-less stinky waders shut down the bite everywhere you went on your 14 hour endurance run. Everyone complains about the shi_y fall, surprise things are returning to how they use to be better get use to it.

DarkSkies
11-18-2011, 09:58 PM
^^ Said the one black cloud to another....:laugh:
I have become the voice of gloom and doom, part II...:ROFLMAO :HappyWave:

Tell me ol grouchy, what do I have to do to learn to get excited about small bass..:ddo we need to have a moratorium like in 1982 where you guys went 3 weeks at a time without any bass at all, to learn to appreciate how awesome it is to have these fish around? :learn:

Nice efforts, guys....

Lenny, next time try the morning bite, when it's on it's much better.....
SharkHart it appears you and the guys ya fished with had the hot hand and highest numbers this AM....the highest number I heard of, by a single surfcaster, outside of the park, was 14....nice to see ya's get some good numbers....:thumbsup:

GeoffT
11-19-2011, 09:27 AM
Fished this AM 6 to 7:30 got 2 bass to 26" on SS needle fish. Very little signs of life. Looks like the fish schooled up on Wednesday and moved out and south. Not looking good as Monmouth county is dead and IMo will probably stay that way. On the bright side the cold kept the cell phone crew at home.

Not quite true. ;) Still plenty of fish of there. My buddies had a great night last night. Going there tonight.

SharkHart
11-19-2011, 12:17 PM
Slower today in the park, at least for the surf guys, I had 3 fish to 32" on Red Gill teasers quick then they pulled off these guys 1/2 mile to my left may have done better, everyone gathered there. Lots of birds and pops 2 casts out up and down, saw a nice sustained semi-blitz out there for a good 10 mins we could only watch.
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll194/SharkHart/DSC00650.jpg

plugaholic
11-19-2011, 05:01 PM
I fished SIC today from 2-5p, got one bass 27", one dog, and one skate, all on bunker. Awesome pic sharkhart!

skinner
11-19-2011, 05:07 PM
Fished occo in the morning, got the:skunk:
Looked like a lot of guys out there did the same as I did, where are all the fish?

jigfreak
11-19-2011, 05:12 PM
Got some bass on the bar around sunrise. Like SH said, out far, ava with green tail, long cast, 4 to 30". Bite was over by 7.

cowherder
11-19-2011, 05:30 PM
Glad to hear you guys got fish today. I did not, along with the 300 other guys up and down the beach. Largest crowd on a Saturday that I can remember. I was there at first light and didn't even get a tap. What a fall so far.

Monty
11-19-2011, 06:31 PM
Nice pic SharkHart. Good to see guys on the site getting out there, seems its tougher to find solitude than fish (and finding fish is not easy).

fishinmission78
11-19-2011, 06:57 PM
seems its tougher to find solitude than fish (and finding fish is not easy).
If you fish island beach, get used to it. Today was like opening day of trout season. 6 bass to 34", most were smaller. Kept the 2 biggest, T-hex did the work.

storminsteve
11-19-2011, 07:51 PM
Fished moco in the afternoon. A friend and I had 3 bass to 34" and 10 blues to 35", some of these blues were pigs! All on ava with green tail. I tried throwing poppers but they wouldn't touch them. Lots o fun and fishing. The numbers weren't a lot and as you said we had to work for them but it was way cool.

ledhead36
11-19-2011, 08:30 PM
Great action Steve! I will try to get there tomorrow afternoon. Have been hitting bass to 18lbs in the bay on clams, but that bite stopped stone cold when the water temps dropped like a rock. Now all that is left before the weekend was 20 inch rats.

fishinmission78
11-20-2011, 08:15 AM
Fished IBSP this morning. Sunday all the dillys were out, even WORSE than opening day of trout season. If you hooked up you instantly had 2 guys on each side of you. I am glad there is no big sweep or I would have gotten into fistfights with some of these losers. Managed 3 bass to 16# all on metal.

storminsteve
11-20-2011, 12:38 PM
Moco from 5-9am, good activity in the dark, and also once the sun came up. No bluefish this time. Plugs and avas and t-hex, 7 bass, biggest 32".

vpass
11-20-2011, 12:56 PM
Fished from 5 am to 8:30am good activity also. landed 5 bass 1 at about 26 inches the rest keeper size the largest around 33 to 34 inches. lost as many if not more then landed. most on the hopkins, 2 on the teaser.

Monty
11-20-2011, 02:32 PM
Fished this morning from 1:00 to 10:30. Got lucky and found some bass in real close in the trough. Hit almost every cast from 3:30 to 5:00. I again displayed my incredible skill in missing hits and loosing fish most of this outing. Ended up with 11 bass, 3 between 28 and 32 inches. All released. 1 on 10" Hogy, 1 on teaser in front of SS popper(around 9:00 am), the others on a stubby needle. They creamed that needle. Vpass I got you beat, I missed or lost more than 2x What I landed. Had a great time out there, chasing bass in low tide conditions was a ball. Lost bass that I had hooked on a 3.5 oz pencil and a Deadly-D*** (to many to count lost on that needle). The bass were on small bait after sun-up, Ava 17 in green worked (I only had Ava27 Red). Was my "most fun" fishing trip of the year. Oh, in keeping with my googan ways, while wrestling on the beach with a bass trying to get a hook out its fin was "flexed", punctured a wader leg. So I carried a gallon of water around with me from 4:30.

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2011_11_20_SB1.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2011_11_20_SR2.jpg

7deadlyplugs
11-20-2011, 02:38 PM
Awesome pics Monty!

seamonkey
11-20-2011, 02:54 PM
Fished lbi today with bunker and diamond jigs. One 38" bass on the bunker (kept), and a lot of fish to 31" in the morning on the diamond jigs. Bass were going crazy on the sandeels around 6am.

wish4fish
11-20-2011, 04:47 PM
got 1 keeper bass at the hook, clams, monty the pics are kewl

captnemo
11-20-2011, 06:21 PM
Took a ride S today, got a limit of bass to 13# in 40 feet. Umbrella rigs. Some monster bluefish as well. There were too many boats, so instead of picking at fish among the fleet we decided to bag it and were back in the barn by 10am.

storminsteve
11-20-2011, 06:34 PM
Oh, in keeping with my googan ways, while wrestling on the beach with a bass trying to get a hook out its fin was "flexed", punctured a wader leg. So I carried a gallon of water around with me from 4:30.

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2011_11_20_SB1.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2011_11_20_SR.jpg

Did you have a lifetime guarantee on the waders Monty? Your leg must have been ice cold with that water sloshing around. As for the googan ways, I think you and DS are neck and neck, someone should make up a plaque for the end of the year, a googan awards banquet or something.:laugh:

finchaser
11-20-2011, 08:04 PM
Monty your a spot burner I recognize those rocks

DarkSkies
11-20-2011, 08:57 PM
Yeah Monty the shading on those rocks is a dead give away. That moss only grows on rocks in one specific town. Yer gonna have to walk the plank, :beatin:

with OGB at the helm....of the SS Gloom and Doom....:laugh: ;)

(Actually, we were on the phone, and without knowing where you were, he did recognize the street those rocks are on.)...it's amazing what those old geezers remember, and they did all their scouting without the internet,,,,,,:scared: :cool: :fishing:

BTW, nice numbers ya got today. Even though you lost a few, a lot of guys got nothing this AM, and they were trying their best. so you're definitely ahead of the pack today...other than the guys in their trucks who were able to chase after every pod of fish...

Steve, I believe Monty and I will be in an eternal race for that goog award, and if he does get it permanantly, I have no problem breaking into his house at night to steal it back.....

gjb1969
11-20-2011, 11:25 PM
nice bass must have felt good to get him:clapping:

Monty
11-20-2011, 11:45 PM
Monty your a spot burner I recognize those rocks

What rocks?

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2011_11_20_SR2.jpg

finchaser
11-21-2011, 09:25 AM
1 fish this AM caught on a needle fish in the dark a nice clean looking 14# fish.
I kept my first bass in 3 years to bring to a restaurant tonight that cooks your catch,it's my turn to bring the fish.

Monty only joking about the spot burn, love the swan tube is that for Darks birthday next week

Monty
11-21-2011, 09:48 AM
Monty only joking about the spot burn, love the swan tube is that for Darks birthday next week

I knew that, but with Dark camera-less I am trying to post as many pics as possible.
Had to jump at the opportunity to include a pic of Dark's favorite pool toy.......

Nice fish, enjoy.

DarkSkies
11-21-2011, 10:10 AM
^^Wow, with you mooks I can't keep any secrets around here....:moon: :laugh:
You guys are harsh....:clapping:

I'll be back in the pic-taking olympics soon...I ordered a replacement camera online, should be here before the fat lady sings, and it was a lot cheaper than the newer ones, waterproof and (almost http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon11.png ) shock-proof.

I missed the feeding window this morning, though I scouted a lot of beaches on the way down, all dead water....N of where Fin was...it seems Fin caught one of the only fish caught this AM :clapping:, and the only fish over 28", in a 14 mile area... it takes a lot more talent to catch ONE when they ain't bailing them....:thumbsup: :fishing:

I'm out of the fishing game for a while too. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.pngThen he saved my azz with a jump when I couldn't start the car, Super OGB. :cool:
Didn't get to fish at all....
Thanks for the jump, ya grouch! :HappyWave:

finchaser
11-21-2011, 11:35 AM
Thanks,for the kind words on the fish.

I had to come to your rescue as your mobile home was down:scared:plus I already lost one old friend today.

storminsteve
11-21-2011, 11:52 AM
mobile home was down:scared:.

That sounds like dark, I'll bet he could live in a van down by the river.:laugh:
I fished moco this morning, same area, in fact I walked a bit because I could find no signs of life at all. No fish for me and no signs at all of birds.

SharkHart
11-21-2011, 02:36 PM
Since Betty and Nick$ does this all the time i can to, Go to Park boys, this time its legit. fish 10-15 is common right now not sure how long they will stick with this weather.

vpass
11-21-2011, 02:48 PM
I got into them good this morning. Fished from 5 to 10:00am got 10 bass from 14.5 pounds on the Boga to 26inches, only 1 was a keeper. got 2 double headers. most fish were caught on the teaser. I did get 2 on Needles, and 2 on Cripple herring. I would have caught more if I started off with the teaser. I did drop a few fish also. The guys that walked out on the bars were also hooking up. The guys on the beach not so much. Lot less crowed then yesterday. I could feel that the days are numbered with this school of fish. It's almost over. I did keep the keeper for Holiday dinner.

dogfish
11-21-2011, 04:48 PM
That sounds like dark, I'll bet he could live in a van down by the river.:laugh:

Anyone know if dark looks like this?:rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nhgfjrKi0o

fishinmission78
11-21-2011, 04:52 PM
Fished the park from 4:30-7am, some decent bass as mentioned. 5 to 32", one for dinner tonight, needles and metal.

finchaser
11-21-2011, 04:54 PM
V very nice way to go

lostatsea
11-21-2011, 04:58 PM
Outstanding work, vpass.

finchaser
11-21-2011, 05:04 PM
Anyone know if dark looks like this?:rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nhgfjrKi0o

Yep could be Dark:ROFLMAO

cowherder
11-21-2011, 05:33 PM
Wow you guys are really doing well, congratulations!
Have to get out there, does anyone know if there is a night bite or is it centered around sunrise? Thanks!

jigfreak
11-21-2011, 06:07 PM
Nice reports fellas. Vpass nice numbers.

clamchucker
11-21-2011, 06:12 PM
Yes vpass good going. I fished the park. Managed 7 bass to 33" on t-hex. The amount of bait is incredible. It's a wonder they hit the jig, but they are bulking up for the migration. All bass were fat.

vpass
11-21-2011, 06:36 PM
Wow you guys are really doing well, congratulations!
Have to get out there, does anyone know if there is a night bite or is it centered around sunrise? Thanks!

Your best bet is to be on the sand before 6am. It's usually over by 7:30. Today there was a pick after it usually dies, probably due to cloud cover.

vpass
11-21-2011, 06:38 PM
Thanks guys. I been having a great time on my vacation. It's going to suck when it's over.

voyager35
11-21-2011, 07:15 PM
Fished off of BI today, total 17 bass to 23lbs and a lot of angry bluefish, umbrella rigs and jigs. Kept 2 at 32".

cowherder
11-22-2011, 10:08 AM
Wow vpass you are on fire lately! Looks like you had a great vacation. I fished near the park this morning, and got nothing. It was real tough with the wind. Hope the fish are still there when it dies down.
And thank you for the advice about being out there early.

fishinmission78
11-22-2011, 10:58 AM
Fished near the park, 4 bass to 19lbs, ava37 with green tail.

albanyguy1
11-22-2011, 12:24 PM
Did the commando trip yesterday to the Park. 2 at bass about 27 inches. Two HUGE blues. 3 fish on Deadly Di**s; 1 on teaser. Long trip but really fun. Probably won't make it down again this year. Good luck to all..

vpass
11-22-2011, 01:10 PM
Fished from 6am to 11:00am, no luck today. the east winds kept me from reaching. There were birds working the area about 500 feet out from a 1/4 mile north of my location to as far as you could see south. some on the outer bar. It was about 8:30am when i was able to walk out on the bar, still was not able to connect. Heard of a short caught south of me. no other caught at my location.

bababooey
11-22-2011, 01:14 PM
Steve, I believe Monty and I will be in an eternal race for that goog award, and if he does get it permanantly, I have no problem breaking into his house at night to steal it back.....

Ummm, are you sure you will be able to bypass the dudes security system? He does have 5 or 6 ferocious attack cats.:eek:

vpass
11-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Fished near the park, 4 bass to 19lbs, ava37 with green tail.

Nice going.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Monty
11-22-2011, 02:35 PM
Did the commando trip yesterday to the Park. 2 at bass about 27 inches. Two HUGE blues. 3 fish on Deadly Di**s; 1 on teaser. Long trip but really fun. Probably won't make it down again this year. Good luck to all..
Great to see you connected with some fish, I haven't seen a blue fish in months (they must have been fun).

Ummm, are you sure you will be able to bypass the dudes security system? He does have 5 or 6 ferocious attack cats.:eek:

There is no chance he gets past the cats. Nothing gets past them........
http://www.rocksimpson.com/images/k4.jpg

gjb1969
11-22-2011, 03:24 PM
attack cats u guys are crazy:kooky:

vpass
11-22-2011, 03:43 PM
Here kitty kitty kitty.....

GeoffT
11-22-2011, 04:01 PM
Stiff E wind made for slower action this morning but still got three keepers to 20 lbs. Ava 27 with a red tail, no teaser. Saw a few real big blues caught.

It was hard to get out on the bars because the wind pushed so much water onto them but if you stuck to your guns, you would catch fish at the very end of your cast.

DarkSkies
11-22-2011, 09:47 PM
Bababooey, yeah, I forgot all about his attack cats, trained by the King of Siam :laugh: to rip any intruders to shreds....:rolleyes: :HappyWave:

Guess I'll have to win the title away from him fair and square...
the season's not over yet...still time to put another hook in my hand :bucktooth: or some other goog move...:)

Some big fish caught today....
31#, 34#, 22#....I believe some of those were released,,,in any event they weren't weighed at the famous video store..:rolleyes:

Also a 20# bluefish....20 frikkin pounds!!!!! :bigeyes: :viking:
That's the ultimate demon from hell.... :clapping:

Honestly, I'm more impressed with the 20# bluefish than the big bass.
Do any of you folks realize how infrequently someone catches a 20lb bluefish from the surf? About as frequently as someone catches a 50lb bass from the surf....

WTG on the bluefish, all the bass, the releases, the good times, and above all the guys who were willing to get wet today......anyone at all out fishin hard today deserved credit whether they caught or not...hardcore. :headbang:

storminsteve
11-22-2011, 10:28 PM
Monty's attack cats, trained ninja assassins! ha ha
Great reports, jealous I have to work and can't get out there.

vpass
11-25-2011, 11:32 AM
Fished from 5:30am to 9:30am. I got 5 bass from 26 to 34 inches. 4 of them were keepers, all swimming. I also caught a double header. My 3rd for the year. The bass were caught on Ava 27 with green tail, and Yellow over white teaser. Seen a whale this morning couldn't get my camera out fast enough. Seen alot of Big bass being kept, The biggest about 38 inches 20 to 22 pounds.

finchaser
11-25-2011, 12:15 PM
Fished this AM from 5:30 to 8:30 had 4 bass 1 was a short the other 3 were keepers. The biggest was 17 1/2 pounds on the boga grip all on metal all released.

DarkSkies
11-25-2011, 05:14 PM
Late report, fished in the bad weather Wed am, hit a place where the fish usually turn on night time in that type of pattern, not a fish to be found anywhere at night...and at first light hit a pocket in the surf for a few minutes, nothing either, had to get out of there and get to work on time....congrats to all those who are hitting it hard and getting into fish, I understand the circus gets more entertaining every day.....:) :kooky: :fishing:

clamchucker
11-25-2011, 09:19 PM
I fished the park from 5-9 a. I had 4 bass to 35", metal and t-hex, released. The crowding was unlike anything I have ever seen there. Nice double header vpass.

storminsteve
11-25-2011, 09:57 PM
The crowding was unlike anything I have ever seen there.

Right on clamchucker. It was insane!
I was fishing early this morning, before sunrise. Got 3 in the first hour on needlefish and teaser. Then I got 2 more, but it was slow. When I got the 2nd fish it was pretty dead. Left to eat and chill, and then came back at dark, fished till 9:30 with needlefish. Got 3 more to 34".

SharkHart
11-25-2011, 10:00 PM
Finally nailed quanty and quality :). But it took me about 8 hours of fishing
, 19 bass to around 20lbs , I did something stupid and broke the line landing the biggie :(. Wanted to take a few pics, oh well, everyone in the Park seem to be walking off with nice fish was surreal scene

SharkHart
11-25-2011, 10:06 PM
I got a mulligan after dark and landed one nearly 17 lbs, i got too touch this one! Im not a failure afterall :). 3 other fish @ happy hour, time to get the full 4 hours rest and join maybe the biggest beach crowd ever in history.... Try not to get too frustrated out there everyone is catching fish and enjoying this great sport lets all enjoy the ride

BassBuddah
11-25-2011, 11:08 PM
Nice fish Sharkhart. I came to NJ from LI today. My nephew and I got 14 fish to 16lbs. Mostly on tins, and some on teasers. He ended up with more than I did, but he is a lot younger and full of energy. Me, I need some time to recharge when you get knocked around on the bars, although it's nowhere as near as bad as Montauk.

We both want to put a special thank out there to Darkskies. Knowing we had never fished the area before, he was like a general, giving us directions and suggestions on the phone, barking instructions. You would not have known he was many states away, with the quality of help he provided, and the suggestions to keep us on the fish. A sincere thanks for all you do here, and for helping some LI surf rats who have had a terrible season stay out of the embarassment by picking at a few nice fish.:clapping::clapping:
You are always welcome out east, dark, if you need a place to sleep, or I or any of my friends can put you into fish, we will. The NJ crowds were terrible, but we have seen that at Demo and Montauk, so we were used to it. Despite that we had a great day and I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to help us.

skinner
11-25-2011, 11:28 PM
Outstanding catches guys. I must have been one of the very few fishermen who decided to fish to the north, skunkola.

surfwalker
11-26-2011, 08:39 AM
skinner, you were not alone in the north, I also went fishless there. Friday-5am-10am. Few bumps in the dark. First light- picked up a one eyed sand eel, and two plastic bags, lost one plug and did a lot of talking to myself. The few clam guys there appeared to be picking up 12" ling. Keep the masses down south, send some Bass back north.

vpass
11-26-2011, 12:30 PM
Fished 6am to 8am. Caught 2 bass 1 about 26, and the other 15 pounds on the boga. The short was on the Teaser, and The Keeper was on the Ava27 green tail. only saw 2 other fish caught at my location.

It was a Z00, :beatin:can wait to Monday I got 1 more week of vacation.

I was talking to a guy that said that they B&N weight 80 Bass yesterday. biggest in the 30's. Thats 80 dead bass. When I was releasing my bass everyone was asking why. I told them that the bass were in trouble again and I gave them the lecture. They where looking at me like I was :kooky:

vpass
11-26-2011, 12:35 PM
skinner, you were not alone in the north, I also went fishless there. Friday-5am-10am. Few bumps in the dark. First light- picked up a one eyed sand eel, and two plastic bags, lost one plug and did a lot of talking to myself. The few clam guys there appeared to be picking up 12" ling. Keep the masses down south, send some Bass back north.

There should be the little bass around. Around this time every year I do well in NoMoCo with little bass 15 to 24 inches. If there not there that there's a problem. Did you see any Herring?

jigfreak
11-26-2011, 02:03 PM
We both want to put a special thank out there to Darkskies. Knowing we had never fished the area before, he was like a general, giving us directions and suggestions on the phone, barking instructions. You would not have known he was many states away, with the quality of help he provided, and the suggestions to keep us on the fish. A sincere thanks for all you do here, and for helping some LI surf rats who have had a terrible season stay out of the embarassment by picking at a few nice fish.:clapping::clapping:

Wonder if DJ could guide like that, from a few states away and put people on fish?:laugh:
Good deal ds, and if you are out of state get back here soon as the window is closing. I fished today and got zilch, may have to move S for the next trip.

SharkHart
11-26-2011, 05:29 PM
I made a tactical error and went north of yesterdays positon but still in the park where i seen some better class of fish taken friday, skunk! bite was on teh south end way too many guys to move around literally no spots left after 545am, I was tired and called it an early day before i knew there was a bite south. They appear to have slid south overnight

Friday i also got the "if you dont want those fish we 'll take em"

surferman
11-26-2011, 07:34 PM
Friday i also got the "if you dont want those fish we 'll take em"

You're lucky they didn't swim in the water to get them after you released them, lol.
I fished lbi this morning, it was a good bite for about an hour and 15 minutes. Got 5 bass to 33 inches on avas with green tail

finchaser
11-26-2011, 07:53 PM
Did the boat thing had 16 bass to 21# all released was off IBSP seems the big body of fish has moved out as it took 7 hours for 2 of us to put that catch together same boat had over 70 yesterday all were also released.. The park in the afternoon today looked like a ghost town, plus the fish finder marked very few fish. The 23 mile ride back was like the dead sea no life what so ever.

Now a 5 day SSE blow will really destroy things with cold dirty water.

Monty
11-27-2011, 02:39 PM
Fished two locations this morning. First one from 1:00 TO 3:00, 1 Short Bass on a Mag Darter. Other spot from 4:00 to 9:00, Back to first spot from 9:45-11:00. Nothing after the first Bass, saw no bait or any bird action. Was like a lake. Was fun out there, to nice out.
http://rocksimpson.com/images/2011_11_27_SR.jpg

finchaser
11-27-2011, 03:18 PM
Did the boat thing again we had 30 fish to 16 pounds 10 keeper size all released. Very few fish or signs of life from Manasquan Inlet to mid IBSP. First signs of good life was middle of IBSP to the end of it, fish are scattered main body of fish and heavy concentration of sand eels seems to be gone. We had to troll all except 6 fish we jigged at first light. All fish were in 25' to 28' of water which is 1/2 mile off beach. Most of the fish were 22 t0 26 inches which usually happens as run ends. There were 10 head boats there most struck out and went into the deep to pursue bluefish as the bite of last week ended Friday afternoon.

ledhead36
11-28-2011, 03:41 AM
Fantastic catches finchaser. We had some bigger bass since Thanksgiving in the bay to 40". Clams worked, bunker did not. We even got some big blues to eat the clams, they had nothing in there bellies. Tonight was lame, only got 2 big blues, thats all she wrote.

finchaser
11-28-2011, 01:17 PM
Thanks LD

Fished this am 6-7:30 had 5 keepers and lost 2 others all on metal. One of the ones lost was a 25 to 30# fish got to see it as my 50# leader snapped, the only reason I mention this is it was my fault been fishing that leader for over a week in some pounding surf must have had a nick in it.

SharkHart
11-28-2011, 02:30 PM
That stinks you lost the biggie and it sounds a lot like how i lost mine the other day, old war torn line i hadn't been inspecting, when you get em in that close its almost like close enough but would at least like to get a hand on the fish.

Seems to be some validity to another body of fish in Monmoth county, boat bite I think but maybe we wont have dead water afterall, temps look good for a while, although i want a nice chilly day to separate the men from the boys.

seamonkey
11-28-2011, 03:32 PM
Hey guys they are reporting this on facebook, anyone know if it's true? If so awesome catch!:clapping::clapping:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?4854-tuna-from-the-surf&p=55021#post55021

seamonkey
11-28-2011, 03:32 PM
Wow finchaser sounds like you lost a real nice fish, thats too bad. I lost a big bluefish over the weekend, my line was chafing on the sand a lot and it gave way. Now I don't know how big that blue was but I have caught one 16lbs and this one was bigger, I saw it in the wash and it was like a bulldog!
A 30lb striper is a lot nicer though, I would gladly trade you my lost bluefish for the chance to have that striper on for a little while. Better luck next time.
I fished LBI this morning, got one small bass in the dark on a needle fish, and another on a ava with tail, a 27. The bite was over so fast if you blinked you missed it. I hate that.

DarkSkies
11-28-2011, 06:34 PM
Fin and his crew had the hot hand once again....:clapping::clapping:
I mention this because contrary to what some tackle shops are saying, the fish that were here on Fri and Sat are not here in those numbers at this moment for the surf guys....this then becomes an exercise where 5% of the anglers are now getting 95% of the fish in the surf...it really tends to draw the line in the sand to see who will stick it out to the end...surf-wise.....

I fished with another site-member this AM. We had this idea that we would circumvent the crowds and do an end-run on the fish. We were not successful, although the area had some life in the nights and days prior...

maybe I brought that "DarkSkies black cloud" :devil: with me this morning, maybe not....http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon11.png..... but where we were, there were only a few guys who hooked up consistently, and not knowing that structure well, I'm thinking they were pitching to the holes or the edges of the holes, as the flood tide came in.

High hook, for 1/2 mile N and S of us, was 11 fish, with 3 of those being skates, the rest short fish. There were a few other guys who managed more than one fish, but most caught none at all....and the fish we saw pulled in were mostly small.

There was very spotty, limited activity, and you really had to entice the fish to hit by switching up your metal jigging pattern...at least the guys who got multiple fish did...:thumbsup:

There were higher numbers by 1 or 2 that knew that section of beach well and fish it every day,.....but that was the exception, not the norm.

90% of the guys where we were did not hook up at all...

We managed a few swings and misses. The best I could do was 1 dropped fish :bucktooth:.
My friend wisely left. My ego got to me, and I stayed another 1 1/2 hours working hard to prove I could get one fish as the sun came out....I failed, that's fishin. :don't know why: :fishing:

I heard the bite turned back on later in the afternoon...which is great if you have all day to hang at the beach....:cool: :) :fishing:

vpass
11-28-2011, 11:18 PM
I fished this Morning from 4am to 9am in a new area, south of my normal range. I was excited about a night bite that didn't happen on my trip.:skunk::beatin: I guess the south winds did us in this morning or the migrations have passed us by. :huh:I really miss that night bite, and catching fish amongst friends and or in seclusion. I really hate fishing metals, it ok for a while but it does get old.:kooky: I love and miss fishing wood/Plugs. I’m sadden the season is almost over, and looking forward to fishing next season. I made a few friends and feel closer with friends that I have been fishing with for some time.:HappyWave: I will keep on trying for the remainder of the year, but know it almost over. It’s been a great vacation so far, just need a few fish on the fly rod.

vpass
11-28-2011, 11:25 PM
Thanks LD

Fished this am 6-7:30 had 5 keepers and lost 2 others all on metal. One of the ones lost was a 25 to 30# fish got to see it as my 50# leader snapped, the only reason I mention this is it was my fault been fishing that leader for over a week in some pounding surf must have had a nick in it.

Nice going Fin on the Catch.:thumbsup: I also didn't change my leader in over a week, maybe 2 weeks. I will change it now.

hookset
11-29-2011, 06:30 AM
Great catches finchaser, it seems you are on fire lately. I fished OC after work yesterday, away fromn the crowds, casting practice only. I got the skunk.

vpass
11-30-2011, 09:13 PM
I fished this afternoon in NoMoCo. Found little bass. I caught 2 on teaser. Actually I snagged a sandeel and Hooked it through the chin and casted it out. Reeled the line tight and got hit and hooked the little bass. The bass were around 18 inches. Lots of bait in the water. Seen the birds dive and every time come up with sandeels. Seen bird working off shore. I think its going to be a good Dec.

SharkHart
11-30-2011, 10:12 PM
Tomorrow -- Thursday is my 10 star lock for the park, Ill be shocked if it doesn't go off big time. I have to work cant make it :( but i took off Friday :) Im hearing of an afternoon bite too, previously unheard of this season

c4charlie
12-01-2011, 05:50 AM
I fished last night for a few hours and did not get a touch on the usual needles, minnows, soft plastics. Had to get up early so only fished 9-12.