PDA

View Full Version : Dead Fisherman washes up on beach

finchaser
11-17-2011, 11:51 AM
Near Shark River Inlet a fisherman wearing waders and korkers on a jetty was washed off sometime last night or early this morning and washed up dead.

As I always say wearing waders on a jetty with or with out korkers is a sure way to die.:kooky:

fishinmission78
11-17-2011, 05:28 PM
Near Shark River Inlet a fisherman wearing waders and korkers on a jetty was washed off sometime last night or early this morning and washed up dead.

As I always say wearing waders on a jetty with or with out korkers is a sure way to die.:kooky:

You can't fix stupid. Condolences to his family.

DarkSkies
11-17-2011, 05:57 PM
This is a tragedy. I feel for his family, especially so close to Thanksgiving. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png

I think we've all make stupid mistakes (I know I have) and we learn from it.
Unfortunately, he won't be able to learn from this one.

I heard his name was Paul, he fished there often and knew quite a few of the regulars there. As far as his experience and skill set for being out there, I have no knowledge of that...but it was raining hard last night, and and jetty fishing, challenging and dangerous if you aren't aware of the things that can go wrong...is not to be taken lightly.....

If anyone out there ever had a guy lecture them for wearing sneakers on a jetty, that was probably me....http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.png

That being said, I try to be careful as well on jetties, but I haven't always used the best judgement. I've been out there at the beginning of noreasters, and when the winds are 20+mph. Every year I fall and bang myself up when out there. The latest fall only involved some scratches and bruises, and a $100 reel repair...:beatin:

Last year, I fell at the end of the day on an LBI jetty, landed on my back, and cracked the back of my head on the rocks. I saw stars on that one...http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon11.png luckily no permanent damage other than being sore for a few days and a slightly sprained hand....

Why am I admitting to all of these stupid things?
Because, like a lot of the motivated (or simply crazy :rolleyes:) fishermen out there, I constantly push myself to find better and bigger fish. And there are some very big fish that pass by the jetties at night...this is a proven fact....

Also, I tend to fish the more isolated and treacherous jetties because I really don't want company. I like and value the solitude, away from other fishermen, and that's one of the ways for me to get completely away from all but the most hard-core guys.

So I say this not to lecture, but with the understanding of what motivates people to go out on certain jetties and look for that trophy fish....

No fish is worth your life....if you are out on a jetty and something happens, what will happen to the family and friends left behind if you come home in a body bag? :learn:

How will your wife, girlfrend, children, relatives and friends deal with your death if you make a mistake, and pay for that mistake with your life?

I have the deepest sympathy for the family of "Uncle Paul" and his friends. For those that know the family, please try your best to offer comfort and support. For those that knew him, please try not to judge him...as he, like us, was just another fisherman who wanted more...and didn't think of the consequences of that....

If anything, please learn from this...as Finchaser mentions, you should never be on a jetty with waders. Even with a wading belt, you're still taking a risk. Fin and a lot of the old-timers may seem stern and argumentative, but that's because they lived through it, time and time again...I've heard more "washed off the jetty" storis than I care to repeat...some end with a renewed committment to safety, and a saved life.....and some end like this did, in death. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png

RIP, Paul, and I pray for your family in this Holiday season of togetherness...

DarkSkies
11-17-2011, 06:08 PM
If anything, please learn from this...as Finchaser mentions, you should never be on a jetty with waders. Even with a wading belt, you're still taking a risk. Fin and a lot of the old-timers may seem stern and argumentative, but that's because they lived through it, time and time again...I've heard more "washed off the jetty" storis than I care to repeat...some end with a renewed committment to safety, and a saved life.....and some end like this did, in death. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png

This is so important that I'm repeating and quoting it....
After my fall last year, and looking at the risk I was taking, I want to let people know that whenever the weather is bad and I'm out on the rocks, I now carry a PFD with me, and I put it on, and wear it. And I don't wear waders on a jetty, even with a wading belt. Instead, I wear rubber pants (HH or Grundens work great), regular pants, or shorts, depending on the season. And Korkers every time.

Also, each time I go out, I think of a pre-determined plan of how I will self-rescue if I accidentally fall in.

I don't want to lose my life, or put someone else at risk who has to save me.
If anyone wants to wear a PFD at night or re-evaluate their safety procedures, don't feel funny about it, just do it.
Don't let anyone else's comments or ridicule stop you from taking pro-active measures to keep yourself safe.
Please remember the highlighted words above, they could save your life....

finchaser
11-17-2011, 06:11 PM
Best thing for safety is to buddy up, we as in my friends and I, have done it for over 40 years.

storminsteve
11-17-2011, 09:10 PM
So sad, RIP.

bababooey
11-17-2011, 09:14 PM
Every year you read about one of the surf or boat guys drowning. Thoughts and prayers for the family.

surfstix1963
11-17-2011, 09:32 PM
I see people all the time I just don't get it waders and jetties are a death wish I don't care how many times you got away with it I really don't want to sound stern but it may save someone else, My T&P do go out to the family it is really sad but it is even sadder that it sounds like he has been fishing long enough to know better I like my solitude also but Fin is correct on the rocks you should have someone with you.No fish is worth your life and if you give mother nature the chance she is going to win think of your family not some stupid fish.

cowherder
11-17-2011, 10:34 PM
I like my solitude also but Fin is correct on the rocks you should have someone with you.No fish is worth your life and if you give mother nature the chance she is going to win think of your family not some stupid fish.

Great advice guys! IU am not as advanced a jetty jockey as some of you so I try to stick to the ones you can walk out on easily. There are only a few like that in our area. Condolences to the family.

Doublerunner
11-18-2011, 06:06 PM
What do you guys think of neoprene waders? I switched to these plus I also wear a knife that does not fold and requires no squeezing to pull out

surfstix1963
11-19-2011, 08:31 AM
I don't think any waders belong on jetties IMO with or W/O a wader belt any wader is able to take on water but the issue I feel is when you hit the water the pressure of the water on the waders and I find that more with neoprene just sucks to your body they are virtually impossible to get off or swim with the other issue is when you fall in the chances of not cracking your head or injuring another body part is pretty slim naturally inlets are like a washing machine with waves and currents which don't help survival rates.I am talking waders not wetsuiting where you can get hurt falling also but you can swim in them if you don't they were designed for that.Regardless its a rough territory to fish rocks and body parts don't mix the rocks will usually win

skinner
11-19-2011, 05:10 PM
RIP, very sad.

jigfreak
11-19-2011, 05:18 PM
What do you guys think of neoprene waders? I switched to these plus I also wear a knife that does not fold and requires no squeezing to pull out

Bad idea doublerunner, I have to agree with fishing mission on this one. I bet if that dead guy could come back to life he would tell you the same thing. Don't do it, wear grundens, or even a wetsuit. Waders on a jetty with or without a belt is a bad recipe unless you are really fit and an olympic athlete. Like it was said, what would your family do without you. Don't do it, man. And t&p to the dead guy's family.

BassBuddah
11-19-2011, 06:15 PM
Have to agree too. There are videos out there with guys jumping into the water with waders with wading belts, and they don't get wet or seem in danger. You have to remember the water is 50 degrees now DR, and therefore I would not risk it. Be safe, and live longer. Thoughts and prayers for Uncle Paul.
Here is a thread on jetty safety in case anyone wants to learn some things
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?3342-jetty-safety-jetty-tips&highlight=jetty+safety

surfstix1963
11-20-2011, 06:40 AM
Not to mention the thousands of yards of broken line thats floating around down there you can get wrapped up in Thats where the knife comes in handy or nowadays a pair of scissors/shears to cut braid if you do make it in the water safe keep your cool and try to get to something that looks relatively safe to at least try to crawl up on protect your head at all costs and if others are around make it known you need help watch the water if the waves are sliding down the rocks try to keep your body sideways for less water resistence rather than face it where the wave has more surface area to take you with it rather than go around you thats saved my butt a couple times on the beach when I couldn't get out of the way of a wave just turn sideways for the life of me IDK why people bend over forwards into a wave.

storminsteve
11-20-2011, 12:41 PM
try to keep your body sideways for less water resistence rather than face it where the wave has more surface area to take you with it rather than go around you thats saved my butt a couple times on the beach when I couldn't get out of the way of a wave just turn sideways for the life of me IDK why people bend over forwards into a wave.

Good point surfstix, I usually turn sideways too. I have taken a few waves that almost knocked me down and the square mass is a lot less if you turn sideways.

seamonkey
11-20-2011, 02:52 PM
Very tragic, tnp to the family.

captnemo
11-20-2011, 06:20 PM
Condolences.

robmedina
07-26-2013, 12:52 PM
what do you guys wear on the jetty's?

surfstix1963
07-26-2013, 02:03 PM
Korkers and rain gear for me

buckethead
07-26-2013, 03:09 PM
^ What surfstix said. Do not wear waders if you think there is a chance you will be washed off. Have seen many videos where the guy claims he can swim with waters on. They were all in calm water. rough surf is different you need to stay on top. Sorry I just don't trust waders.

rockhopper
07-26-2013, 03:45 PM
I agree, Never wear waders on the rocks too much can go wrong.

robmedina
07-26-2013, 04:15 PM
I guess I need to get water proof boots...either that or neaoprene socks to use with my wading shoes.

Many years ago I was wading out in the Delaware river right under the Trenton makes, the world takes bridge. I was fly fishing for stripers and white perch (the stripers were not much bigger than the perch) I was catching one on every cast. As the tide was going out I kept moving towards where the water was still flowing. It is shallow there with some deep holes. I was knocking them dead and then all of a sudden I couldn't get a bite on anything. After trying a few more times I thought to my self- what changed? Then I looked around and noticed the tide had started coming in. I no longer could see the rocks- just the top of the water so I headed back to shore trying to remember my zig zag path- no dice- I ended up going through the deep holes and the water was up to my neck. I took my wallet and keys out (this was before cell phones) and held them and my gear up over my head and hoped for the best.
I was able to walk out but it was scary and I am sure could have gone much worse.
I always try and wear a wading belt whenever I go out, unless I am in the surf- but I should wear one there too. Well as they always say- It is better to be safe than to be sorry.

robmedina
07-27-2013, 08:22 AM
Well since I have a burning desire to not become a statistic I just purchased some neoprene wading socks to go with my wading shoes and rain gear.

Pebbles
07-27-2013, 08:37 AM
Hair raising story. There are too many fisherman out there who take chances. I remember one time this guy kept walking further and further out to some rocks. Everyone was telling him he was crazy. He had his gear held over his head and no regard to life. All he cared about was getting the fish, (and I think showing off).

If you are out there people need to remember that mother nature is in control. We have to take all precautions.