PDA

View Full Version : how do your fish your metals?

plugaholic
11-19-2011, 04:33 PM
fast, slow, using big or small metals. This is for the fall sandeel bite I'm referring to. Thanks guys

jigfreak
11-19-2011, 05:20 PM
You want to figure out where in the water column the sandeels are. Fish at that level. And I also fish at different speeds and weights depending on how bit the swell and waves are.

surfstix1963
11-20-2011, 07:34 AM
I agree with jigfreak I like to fish them as slow and either bounce them off the bottom occasionally but if their are schools of sand eels I will fish them a little higher in the water column and I find a chartreuse tail hook helps alot I don't like to fish them much more than 2 ft. off the bottom unless there are no takers than try a lttle higher or slighty faster.

fishinmission78
11-20-2011, 08:08 AM
I find a chartreuse tail hook helps alot I don't like to fish them much more than 2 ft. off the bottom unless there are no takers than try a lttle higher or slighty faster.

Good advice "if it aint chartreuse it's no use". Also white produces well for me too.

surfstix1963
11-20-2011, 12:18 PM
that chartreuse is a smoking color in the fall all year but more so when the sandeels are around.

jonthepain
11-20-2011, 07:54 PM
sometimes i put an epoxy or plastic sandeel teaser in front of my metal. especially in a honkin wind.

mick2360
11-20-2011, 08:02 PM
sometimes i put an epoxy or plastic sandeel teaser in front of my metal. especially in a honkin wind.

I almost always use a teaser in front of metal.

As far as retrieve, I have found snapping the wrist and allowing a brief flutter to work well.

CharlieTuna
11-20-2011, 10:43 PM
As far as retrieve, I have found snapping the wrist and allowing a brief flutter to work well.

That is a trick of the old timers Mick. When I lived in NJ, there was an old salt named Joe who would outcatch the others on the beach by a slight flick of his wrist. You wouldn't notice it unless you were watching him closely. It was his signature move, and it was deadly.

mick2360
11-24-2011, 09:09 PM
That is a trick of the old timers Mick. When I lived in NJ, there was an old salt named Joe who would outcatch the others on the beach by a slight flick of his wrist. You wouldn't notice it unless you were watching him closely. It was his signature move, and it was deadly.

I'm going to have to give it a try in some waters that may actually hold a fish, Charlie! Sounds like Joe may have been mimicking the tendency for wounded bait to try and swim before fluttering to the bottom....that's my theory anyway!