PDA

View Full Version : Winter Fishing Thread.....

Pages : [1] 2 3

xtreme_visions
12-14-2011, 10:39 PM
:HappyWave: fished rocks last weekend for the 1st time and had a blast! :headbang:caught alot of blackfish! :viking: lost 10 rigs/fished with crabs. alot of keepers but everything went back. plan to go again this weekend. :devil: :fishing: could use a little help identifying the types caught. a few had a tiger like pattern while others solid black with a few white spots on each side. :confused:

BassBuddah
12-15-2011, 10:33 AM
This is a late report, sorry for the tardiness. I drove from LI last Sat to Island Beach State Park with my nephew. It was the 2nd time we have been there. We both want to thank Dark for his guidance and feedback. It really helped us to dial in with the fish. He called several times to check up on us and gave us some different suggestions.
During the Thanksgiving week we went there, we both did well. This saturday, it was not that great. There was a line of guys where we were, about 300, and only maybe a dozen fish were caught. My nephew managed one fish out of those dozen, and nothing for me.
Based on Dark's advice, we did drive around, but did not stay for the afternoon, which I understand was a little better. We wanted to get back home and avoid the traffic. I want to thank you for your hospitality and involvement Dark, nice bunch of folks we met out there, and even some fellows from the area we fish. It was a pleasure to see my nephew get some fish, and we thank you for your part in that. We may be back again next year. Hope to see you all out there then.

finchaser
12-16-2011, 06:10 AM
Dark, my last outing was only 3 hours long, 2:00 -5:00 AM, low tide, full moon (below 30 degrees), awesome structure with nice wave action. Only got that short bass, but as you said, "the solitude and awesomeness of those rocks", substitute the beach for me, I was awed by how perfect the night was. Its fishing, not catching, its the experience. Don't need to catch to enjoy the experience.

Thats because you are sane and use judgment (3 hours), while the head googan marathon man(DS) pursues rumors with kayak in tow. He as the Master Googan chases rumors ,spends way to much time matching profiles as he pursues a night bite that rarely if ever exists this time of year.

surfwalker
12-17-2011, 01:13 PM
Sat. 12/17 - 6:30am-9:30am. 3 tiny shorts on leadhead/rubber. Quite a few light/lethargic taps. Saw no activity anywhere. Water a little off color. Beautiful morning for mid Dec.

SharkHart
12-17-2011, 01:58 PM
Coming in now On the boat, the rumors of thick bass in monmoth county are indeed true drift was a bit fast but lots of bass and blues and birds all day bite unlike that ibsp early bite last month. Not dinks either

DarkSkies
12-18-2011, 11:13 AM
Thats because you are sane and use judgment (3 hours), while the head googan marathon man(DS) pursues rumors with kayak in tow. He as the Master Googan chases rumors ,spends way to much time matching profiles as he pursues a night bite that rarely if ever exists this time of year.
Aren't you the one that says even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then? :laugh:
Master Googan, I thought there was some kind of 3 year apprentice program to get to that level....thanks. :rolleyes: :kiss:

Sat. 12/17 - 6:30am-9:30am. 3 tiny shorts on leadhead/rubber. Quite a few light/lethargic taps. Saw no activity anywhere. Water a little off color. Beautiful morning for mid Dec.
Finally some activity, I know ya worked for each of those fish, congrats! :clapping: :fishing:

Coming in now On the boat, the rumors of thick bass in monmoth county are indeed true drift was a bit fast but lots of bass and blues and birds all day bite unlike that ibsp early bite last month. Not dinks either

G and Shark, saw that activity this morning, most of it was near the 3 mile line...the OFFC was watching it yesterday, same deal...if ya can cast at least 2 miles from the surf you got yerself some epic fishing! :ROFLMAO
Congrats to the guys getting them from the boats. IMO we'll close out the season with most of the numbers of bigger fish coming from boats from now on....as of now it doesn't look like that body is moving any closer to the surf line....
Glad ya's got in on it....:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
12-18-2011, 11:19 AM
Fished last night till the top of the flood, 2 hours and I couldn't take the cold any more....31 deg when I started, 28 when I stopped. The temp would have been bearable if not for the steady W/NW wind....

The bait I was looking for was not there. 2 other fools out there. We compared notes, they had been out since 8pm and had no luck...gave it a shot with swimmers, bucktails and rubber. :skunk:

Slept in the car, took a walk along some ocean beaches around 7am but no fish or signs of life....

The fish I did find were all in one area, boats clustered up...
As mentioned, I was watching those fish this morning through binocs...pretty far out today, 95% of the boats aligned at 2 miles and better out there.... even the yakkers thought better of it and did not launch....

The OFFC was out yesterday afternoon, had very limited activity on plugs. had some on, dropped one decent fish, nothing landed, very sparse action....way to make the effort, guys!

storminsteve
12-20-2011, 03:10 PM
Late report, fished nomoco twice on the weekend and got one micro bass on a rubber teaser. The fat lady she be rolling down the street!http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png See my letter to Santa to learn more.:d
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?5481-Dear-Santa-please-help

xtreme_visions
12-20-2011, 10:44 PM
thay are all black fish

ARE THERE DIFFERENT TYPES OF BLACKFISH THOUGH? HERE IS A PIC OF THE 1ST 1 I CAUGHT.

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=14514

gjb1969
12-21-2011, 12:18 AM
not in nj just the patterns and the colors of the fish can be differant

xtreme_visions
12-21-2011, 01:10 PM
Thanks! I had a blast! Me and my uncle got alot of action that day. Wanted to give 1 a try but was not sure what the procedure was after catching them before taking them home. Just keep them on ice until home or would i need to do anything on the spot?

vpass
12-21-2011, 01:38 PM
Fish from 7 am to 10 am. I caught 2 short bass 1 on teaser and the other on a SP minnow. Seen birds working just out of casting range. Off shore the gannets were dive bombing on the herring.

gjb1969
12-21-2011, 10:21 PM
nice fish dude fat clean and healthy:fishing:

jigfreak
12-21-2011, 11:10 PM
Fat slobs, these little footballs are. Fished moco around the top of the incoming tonight. 2 short bass on swimmer, 2 on the teaser. Nice fish vpass and xtreme visions.

plugcrazy
12-22-2011, 08:41 AM
way to go guys! I fished lbi this morning and caught a skunk.:skunk: There were birds working but they were too far out to reach. Oh well it was a beautiful sunrise and you cant beat fishing in December in 55 degree weather.

hookset
12-22-2011, 10:53 AM
Fished somoco from first light to 7:30, one fat short bass on a black bomber. Plugcrazy I agree the sunrise was fantastic. There are some things about fishing that are as good as the catching. This morning was one of them. I don't remember the last time I was able to fish a beach comfortably on Dec 22.

captnemo
12-22-2011, 12:38 PM
Good bite at the Shrews Rocks the last 2 weeks folks. We limited out in the last 2 trips keeping fish around 29" and releasing bigger ones. There are a lot of smaller fish and the action is great. A37 and 47 with green tails get it done.Get out there before it's over.

vpass
12-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Went out again this morning in the same area as yesterday. around 7:30 to 9:00am Wished I got out earlier. Got 1 short on a Sp minnow on the 3rd cast and again I thought it will be a great day. Fish were raising to the top all over the surf line, and then it stopped as soon the sun broke over the horizon. Birds were working the whole streached from a 1/8 to 1/4 mile out. The Gannets were working from 1/4 mile to a mile out The birds stopped working as soon as the Sun broke the Horizon.

What a beatiful day can you believe it the first day of winter :wow: Nice going Guys Enjoy it while it lasts.

clamchucker
12-23-2011, 10:15 AM
Fished the area in and around the park yesterday and this morning. Yesterday managed 1 bass to 25" on yellow teaser. Today managed 4 bass to 26", teaser and swimmer. There is a slow pick around sunrise. Today the cloud cover helped it to last a bit longer.

storminsteve
12-23-2011, 01:20 PM
Great effort fellas! Going to try to get out there this weekend. It's too beautiful not to.:fishing:

jigfreak
12-23-2011, 02:17 PM
MOCO in the morning, water looked perfect, sky was black, should have been exploding with fish. 2 hours, nada.

vpass
12-23-2011, 06:25 PM
Fished from 1:30pm to 5:00pm. Had birds in front of me for a 15 to 20 min. I threw the bag covering all water colume had only 1 bump. plugged the beach for 1/2 mile befor calling it quits. further out was a boat and seen him land a few nice size bass.

There were these black/dark brown diving birds crashing the water in front of me they dive just like gannets. Does anyone know what kind of bird they are? I did not see them come up with anything. I'm thinking they were feeding on sandeels and not herring.

SharkHart
12-24-2011, 12:56 PM
there is still a good amount of small bass in the back bays of SNJ fished the last 2 hours of outgoing after some late shopping. Good amount of bass popping on the surface a lot were picky though, landed 7 to 25" lost 4 or 5 couldnt get any water for incomming and they laid down. Never felt below 40 and a 5 mph wind nice late season night

DarkSkies
12-24-2011, 08:17 PM
Amen, Shark...got into feeding bass last night as well. Took a while to find them, getting discouraged, but it was a fantastic night once the tide changed and the wind dropped out...I can't remember fishing in December and being so comforbable, in quite a few years....managed 8 bass to 28", dropped an additional one at my feet about 11# and 31". It was a plug bite.. something I'm addicted to....due to the abundant herring, ....full report in the Winter Fishing Thread....

Way to stick it out to the end....catch em up! :thumbsup: :fishing:

DarkSkies
12-24-2011, 08:43 PM
Looks like the bass may be around for another few days, (or minutes, according to OGB....:laugh: :kiss: :HappyWave:

I thought for those of us who are truly addicted, :kooky: I would post up a thread dedicated to winter fishing....

whether ya fish for......

bass till there are ice on the guides, your fingers in stages of hypothermia....(happened to me last night, toes got wet, painful hypothermia for sure.....)

tog on the wrecks....or inlets...

herring in the harbors and inlets...

Cod out of Block Is or Montauk...

sunnies in the local pond (before it freexes)

pike, pickerel, bass, perch, and crappie through the ice...

or sailfish, roosters, amberjack and tarpon in the tropics

even if you fish your local river for carp! (great sport in Jan and Feb, we used to do it every year....)

(Or, in the case of Vpass... :HappyWave:the occasional alligator to alleviate the boredom of catching those small 15lb largemouths in Fla....:laugh:

Or Monty, who fishes for a new path in his backyard when the HD rental truck gets stuck....:eek: :HappyWave:)

We wanna hear it!
Post the story, weave the web...help the guys and gals here stay sane with a taste of something related to fishing......thanks folks!! :thumbsup:

xtreme_visions
12-26-2011, 06:51 AM
:skunk: fished rocks xmas morning with a buddy and came up empty handed. we did not get out there until the tide was going out. stayed for awhile and not a single bite! talked to a few guys who spent the entire morning there and nothing for them either on the incoming/outgoing tide. hope to get out next sat again. :cool:

looking to go for some blackfish on a boat in a week or 2 if anybody knows a good 1 to go on pm me.

DarkSkies
12-26-2011, 01:13 PM
12-24 8 Bass to 28", night bite.... plugs.
12-25 10 Bass to 12#, night bite...plugs...Biggest fish came on Surfstix's Danny :HappyWave:
12-26 7 Bass to 15#, night bite...plugs....

It's safe to say I'm pretty happy with the fishing this last week of December...:drool:

12-24 (night of 12-23)
Fished some rocks. Some may think these are magic rocks, but they aren't. The fish are around because of the higher than normal water temps and the herring, squid, bunker, in the area, and the crabs that are dying before they go into winter hibernation.
Food is abundant in a 15 mile stretch of shoreline, generally areas marked by rocks, inlet fronts, or access to the fish that are holding offshore and feeding on the sandeels. This is where my thinking process began...

Some of us live for the plug bite. Eff the metal bite! :2flip: After awhile it gets boring to me....:boring: But the plug bite gives me WOOD!
It could end any night...as OGB says....but maybe not.....I'll be playing this hand till it ends, or my fingers freeze off, whichever comes first....:cool:

12-24
I generally don't take pics of smaller fish, as I don't like to stress fish out before I release them....Since the water temps are under 50 deg, I feel it's OK to take and post them. It's cold outside and 95% of NJ has stopped fishing...so enjoy, people!! :drool: :HappyWave:

12-24 was a cold night,
Conditions:
Temps 42 when I started, 31 when I finished. Water 48. The blessing was light winds which made it very bearable. Hearing of a fish here and there at night, I set out to explore and find out for myself.

Report:
8 bass to 28"
The bite was real. The fish were very sluggish and it took a while to dial in to what they wanted, very slow presentation.

What made it fantastic for me was the level of activity. Had about 3 solid hours of feeding activity. The fish would bump the plug, not an aggressive bite. They seemed to be feeding on the crabs that are dying as the water temps drop. Remember this for next year, folks....

Even the bigger fish hit like shad or herring, light bumps. To get fish in these conditions you have to stick them hard.

Fish were very tight to the rocks. As a result I rubbed the braid on the rocks several times in the presentations, and ended up losing a nice keeper.

What worked for me that night:
Daiwa SP minnow (outproduced other plugs 5:1)
Black bomber
SS bottle plug (dropped a fish about 14# right at my feet as the line broke before the leader from the abrasion.) Fish swam away with the SS. Didn't count it in the #s because
to count a fish I have to have the leader in my hands...so close...googan move....

What didn't work, and thoughts for the new guys out there:
Bucktail (though it SHOULD have worked with the crabs around.)
Rubber....rubber is one of my go-to presentations, I fish it a lot...still did not work for me. I usually carry at least 5 rubber profiles with me
Mag Darter, loaded redfins, loaded bombers,

Note: the water was rough, off-color and Monty's favorite condition, WHITE WATER, was in FULL EFFECT!!!
That's prob why the SS and the Daiwa worked so well. Fish were able to find them quickly. Fished 3 hours, fish bit on ebb, and flood. At one particular point on the incoming, the fish were hitting the SP every 3-5 casts. They were in a hole I'm familiar with, and were stacked up there. It was relatively easy pitching to these fish.

I got wet, and came back to the car, too worn out from the cold (partial hypothermia in my feet) to make it back for sunrise.

A sitemember passed by and beeped the horn at me. After we compared notes, I gave them the Daiwa I used (note how beat up and nasty it is in the pics, and the hooks that are starting to rust as I only change hooks once a season...usually)

Yet that frikking "piece of crap plug" still hammered the fish!
I say this to let people know that it ain't the gloss of the plug, paint job, scale pattern, :ROFLMAO, 2-tone color, holographic prisms or shiny nature, as my Daiwa was dull as hell and had no paint left on it from all the 20-25 lb bass it caught....)...

Nope it ain't any of those things, it's the guy that is fishin em....;)
That being said, if Finchaser was out there with me, I'm sure that grouchy basstard's numbers would have been at least double mine.....

Daiwa SP minnow...the best plug out there right now for when the fish AREN'T feeding on big bunker...everyone should have 2 in their bag...
I did a tutorial on how to upgrade the hooks, and beef up the split rings...here
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?8172-StripersAndAnglers-Education-Series-How-to-beef-up-the-Diawa-SP-Minnow

Some pics, note how crappy and dull the Daiwa looks, yet it still bailed the fish. Enjoy, folks! :HappyWave:
(The right pic shows a tagged fish. Now, I regret that I didn't clean off the tag a bit, or cut the tag out and send it back. I felt that if I had tagged it, I would want it to grow as big as possible before the tag was returned, so that's what I did)

DarkSkies
12-26-2011, 03:17 PM
12-25 was a colder night,
Conditions:
Temps 32 when I started, 26 when I finished. Water 48. The blessing was light winds which made it very bearable. Almost no wind at all!

Report:
10 bass to 12#
The bite was different. The fish were scattered and not close to the rocks, Many of them came at the furthest end of my cast...

Figuring out this different pattern took a while. Fished 5 hours total.. Bite completely shut off as soon as there was a hint of light in the sky.

Daiwa SP minnow (outproduced other plugs 5:1)
In this case I was using a new one, the beefed up one in the following video..
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?8172-StripersAndAnglers-Education-Series-How-to-beef-up-the-Diawa-SP-Minnow

Surfstix's Purple Danny with purple Siwash bucktail got the biggest fish of the night. :clapping::HappyWave:
(Got 3 close to keeper or bigger on that, the biggest being a mid-teens fish that I raised and failed to set the hook on, another googan move. Saw the splash of the tail as she went back under......

What didn't work, and thoughts for the new guys out there:
As mentioned, the bite was different. The water was calmer, the fish were scattered all over, nothing I did the night before felt the same....I started out with the SP, quickly got 2 embarassingly small bass....
I figured that was a good a time as any to work Surfstix's plug, as there were herring around....and I patiently casted it for 2 1/2 hours before the first strike. After losing that, I got 2 more in the next half hour, 1 keeper, 1 close. The activity on that stopped completely so I went back to the SP minnow.

That finally produced some fat nicer fish, but no keeper size.

I can truthfully say that even though I got 10, I had to work hard for every one,. and there were very few "missed hits" like the night before. The level of activity was just off, and I attributed some of that to the lack of white water...

Some pics....

(please excuse the condition of Surfstix's plug - the environments I fish in at times beat the heck out of everything I own, including my body...:laugh: but this condition, and the rusty hooks that I didn't yet replace, should show you folks that it's not the shinyness, or the colors, scale pattern, prismatic effect,,,,,it's the PROFILE, and BAIT AVAILABLE....and the fisherman fishing the plug...one guy fishing a presentation the RIGHT way, can outfish a guy next to him every time.... :learn:

DarkSkies
12-26-2011, 03:28 PM
Pics:

cowherder
12-26-2011, 04:03 PM
:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping: Wow awsome reports dark! You described your thought process step by step, even the embarassments. I give you a lot of credit for that. I might like to try jetty fishing next year, or possibly this year. I might send you a pm.
You are crushing them 3 nights in a row. Good luck I hope you keep up the winning streak!

DarkSkies
12-26-2011, 04:41 PM
12-26 was a milder night,
Conditions:
Temps 42 when I started, 40 when I finished. :clapping: Water 48. Winds were relatively strong but bearable.....

Report:
7 bass to 15#

Only fished 3 hours, late start.
I might be turning a few site members onto this bite, so I needed to scout and fish some areas ahead of time.

First stop, nothing.

2nd stop, inlet where herring have been, Saved myself some time by chatting with an old timer, just leaving. He said it was dead that night, but they had been getting bass regularly. I reciprocated with what was working for me, nice to meet ya, B! :HappyWave:

3rd Stop - one short fish on the Daiwa.

4th Stop - one short fish on the Daiwa

5th Stop - paydirt! :drool:
The bite was hot.
As mentioned the first 3 casts, I had 3 keepers, (truth time, one was slightly shy, about 1/4", measured against my rod mark.)

The fish at this area were in tight.
1st cast, fish, 27 3/4"
2nd cast 15#,
3rd cast, about 9#
Deciding to keep the 2nd fish lost me some time as I had to find a place to put it....http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png
And, I realized, I lost time on the pic taking as well. :moon: But what the hell, already had a 15 under my belt....

Finally resolved to get back to fishing, few minutes later, and the action seemed to die,,,,but I did get another short bass on the 20th cast,,,,and then another one 15 minutes later...:cool:

Decided to leave those rocks before first light as there was another set I wanted to be on, and the incoming tide got me soaked from head to toe....http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon11.png
On the way there, met Chris from MA, down for a Holiday visit,,,gave him some intel and told him to move his AZZ QUICK as we were losing the darkness.... Chris, sorry if it seems I was yelling at ya, I get that way sometimes when the bite is good....Nice meeting ya! :HappyWave:

Went to another rockpile, the light was starting to brighten the sky.....
Bite completely shut off as soon as there was a hint of light in the sky.

Took some pics, called it a morning....went home to clean the fish...
(Chris texted me later and said he picked up one bass on a BM Danny before sunrise, yup he was happy....:))

I exclusively used the OLD Daiwa SP. I had met the sitemember before and told them I wanted them to have the shiny new one, and TOOK BACK my old crappy one....:laugh:
I knew it wouldn't make a difference, but felt that their level of confidence using it would make a difference.....so, hence the switch...:thumbsup:

I ended up getting it stuck in the rocks...donated to King Neptune...

Daiwa SP minnow...here's a beefed up one in the following video..
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...iawa-SP-Minnow (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?8172-StripersAndAnglers-Education-Series-How-to-beef-up-the-Diawa-SP-Minnow)

Thoughts for the new guys out there:
As mentioned, the bite was different, again. Fish hit very aggressively, the first 3 fish that hit (stop #5) all pulled drag.....:drool:
This was because there were herring through the area, while other nights that wasn't the case.

I did lose some time prospecting other areas, but that taught me that these fish have been along a 15 mile stretch of beach, feeding for a final move either to the Hudson River and NY Bight, or geting ready to take the offshore route to VA....

If you know your rockpiles, there is no one jetty that will produce better,,,,,the fish are feeding , but it's time, bait, and tide dependent when they'll feed...this time of year the flood tide is probably better, but I've gotten fish on both sides of the tide....:learn:

A few underlying constants
1. It's a plug bite.
2. Exists only in the dark or twilight at the end of the day.
3. Teasers, are not absolutely necessary, and those who want bigger fish would be wise to avoid them.
4. As proved the last 3 nights, you don't need the fanciest plugs to catch em. :)

Special thanks to Surfstix for all the plugs and teasers he has sent me over the years, slightly embarassed to only now report that they work, but thanks from the bottom of my heart...

Some pics....

DarkSkies
12-26-2011, 04:59 PM
More pics
(Special thanks to Surfstix for all the plugs and teasers he has sent me over the years, slightly embarassed to only now report that they work, but thanks from the bottom of my heart...) :clapping::clapping: :thumbsup: :HappyWave:

jimmy z
12-26-2011, 05:32 PM
That's the way to do it my good friend!:HappyWave:

Monty
12-26-2011, 06:21 PM
Dark, awesome reports, congrats on the great fishing.
It sure is fun to beat up on Surfstix plugs (my most productive outing this year featured a Surfstix plug mauling).
LOL on that Home Depot remark, I do need to get some dirt to fill the holes and troughs.....

mick2360
12-26-2011, 06:46 PM
Dark, Nice report! Who'da thunk that Santa would bring the bite with him? Great that this is happening for you!

Happy NY, pal!

Mick

vpass
12-26-2011, 08:09 PM
Awsome report Dark.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Dark Turned me on to the SP Minnow and he gave me his new never used SP Minnow and keep his old beatup one. That shows what kind of guy he is. It's a awsome plug. I'm basing my first plug build around it. It amazing that we are still getting into some quality bass. Good Going dark. I'm hoping to get into this action before it's over. Thanks Dark for the Plug. :HappyWave:

jonthepain
12-26-2011, 08:35 PM
I bet I could identify Rich by his thumb...

(or black socks and white sneakers)

never seen his face

bababooey
12-26-2011, 09:09 PM
Yup, this is the final proof. You are officially nutzo:kooky: (remember the SOL guy by that name? I think you were twins separated at birth. :laugh:) I'm done for the year, my next striper trip will be in May. Be careful out there and be safe.

mick2360
12-27-2011, 09:15 AM

never seen his face

The bucket, Jon. Don't forget the bucket.

jigfreak
12-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Dark the window was close to slack low. Got em decent last night, 7 to 18bs on the daiwa minnow and mag darter. You were right about the crabs. The one I kept was filled with em. Good to catch some fat fish for a change. Thanks for the heads up, you da man.

clamchucker
12-27-2011, 01:03 PM
Fished northern ocean county this morning. The bass were chasing herriing, I managed 6 on large bombers and small poppers. The surf was building from the south but it was fishable. The largest was 19pounds. All released.

finchaser
12-27-2011, 01:35 PM
Very nice way to go^^^^^

finchaser
12-27-2011, 06:41 PM

Dark Turned me on to the SP Minnow and he gave me his new never used SP Minnow and keep his old beatup one. That shows what kind of guy he is. It's a awsome plug. I'm basing my first plug build around it. It amazing that we are still getting into some quality bass. Good Going dark. I'm hoping to get into this action before it's over. Thanks Dark for the Plug. :HappyWave:

Not to bust balls but I gave Dark his first Diawa minnow and they are DS minnows there is no such thing as a SP minnow didn't want people to be misled (dam Googans)

DarkSkies
12-28-2011, 12:05 AM
Nice efforts guys!
Jigfreak, glad ya were paying attention to my reports. :thumbsup: Very unusual bite this time of year....

More food....

DarkSkies
12-28-2011, 10:26 AM
Found a window....:kooky: :laugh:

Fished this morning last 2 hours of the ebb plus the slack...ended up quitting before 5am as the tide came in and it became unfishable where I was.

It was fishable for that brief window, and the water wasn't that dirty. The wind had died down to about 5-7mph W. Still got the :skunk:

The OGB told me not to bother, "you'll never catch a fish in this slop, don't waste your time" :argue:

Of course I didn't listen. The action has been so good I didn't want to miss it. The crab molt could still have one night of life to it, and that last night was probably last night...Where I was, there could have been that lucky 20#....:cool: ;)

Full report in the Winter fishing thread...

Oh, and before he comes on here yelling....:HappyWave:, I wore a PFD, and have been wearing one whenever I fish the flood tide now at night....:kiss:

finchaser
12-28-2011, 12:24 PM
Found a window....:kooky: :laugh:

Fished this morning last 2 hours of the ebb plus the slack...ended up quitting before 5am as the tide came in and it became unfishable where I was.

It was fishable for that brief window, and the water wasn't that dirty. The wind had died down to about 5-7mph W. Still got the :skunk:

The OGB told me not to bother, "you'll never catch a fish in this slop, don't waste your time" :argue:

Of course I didn't listen. The action has been so good I didn't want to miss it. The crab molt could still have one night of life to it, and that last night was probably last night...Where I was, there could have been that lucky 20#....:cool: ;)

Full report in the Winter fishing thread...

Oh, and before he comes on here yelling....:HappyWave:, I wore a PFD, and have been wearing one whenever I fish the flood tide now at night....:kiss:

Googan windows are the calm period between fronts usually before a storm, which boaters take advantage of to run offshore. You are fishing a pattern when fish show or feed on a stage of tide and feed approximately an hour later everyday until something like a storm,water temperature or wind direction changes the feeding pattern. (dam Googans):HappyWave:

rockhopper
12-29-2011, 10:13 AM
I use the Daiwa minnow, it is a great plug!

DarkSkies
12-29-2011, 12:16 PM

never seen his face

Just for you, Jon....a belated Christmas gift....:HappyWave:
Feel free to use the pic below to identify my facial features....

I have decided to release to the general public, a first-time internet pic of "DarkSkies the infamous Googan!"
This pic could be very famous in a few years...feel free, you and anyone else who gets to look at it, to copy and past onto your hard drive.....:2flip:

This is a pic I just took this morning with me and a mid-teen fish I got last night...one of the ones all year that I finally kept instead of C&R....
All who have an interest, take note of my facial features, and please, by all means, come up to me and start meaningless conversation when ya's see me out there at night.....

I'm a friendly guy and like nothing better to engage in conversation for hours at a time, when the bite is hot......:kooky: :rolleyes:

We all know how I put everything else first before fishing, :soapbox:and catching nice fish has no real meaning to me, especially with the limited opporunities we've had this year in NJ....so come on up and say "HI! Are you Darkskies from the Internet?" :bigeyes: :ROFLMAO :moon:

DarkSkies
12-29-2011, 12:38 PM
Yup, this is the final proof. You are officially nutzo:kooky: (remember the SOL guy by that name? I think you were twins separated at birth. :laugh:)
I remember nutzo well. We had a lot of back channel chats. Some guys didn't understand him or were critical that his posts were so inflammatory. What some may have not known is that he was the guy who, when slain Military soldiers came back into the US for burial, he prepared them so they would look good for when the relatives came to pick them up...tough job, it would really get to some of us, so making fun of people and crazy posts was a coping mechanism for Nutzo... gradually he disappeared and we lost touch...hope to run into him again some day, thanks for your service Nutzo. :thumbsup:

You're welcome, I know it's gonna bring you some large....:drool: :HappyWave:

That's the way to do it my good friend!:HappyWave:
Thanks Jimmy, always good to hear from ya! :HappyWave:

Dark, awesome reports, congrats on the great fishing.
It sure is fun to beat up on Surfstix plugs (my most productive outing this year featured a Surfstix plug mauling).
LOL on that Home Depot remark, I do need to get some dirt to fill the holes and troughs.....
Hey Monty, ya know we're just bustin ya cause we love ya! :scared: :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
12-29-2011, 01:49 PM
The bucket, Jon. Don't forget the bucket.
Mick, I searched for a pic of that bucket. the "darkskies googan bucket".. with "effumall club" written on it.,, no luck so far...http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png....I'll try to post it here when I get a chance...thanks for the laughs! :HappyWave:

Not to bust balls but I gave Dark his first Diawa minnow and they are DS minnows there is no such thing as a SP minnow didn't want people to be misled (dam Googans)

Yup, you did, Fin...:thumbsup: :HappyWave:
And to take it just a bit further,,,,when I first met ya, I was a Certified Googan! :bucktooth:
Now I'm only a half-azz Googan,,,,:wheeeee: I think that's some tremendous progress, no? :laugh:

As for your comments about the Daiwa, you did give me the Daiwa SM, Ill be forever grateful for that.....:cool: :clapping:
I think the confusion with the names is some guys are talking about the 6" model, the SP15, while the 5 1/4" model is known as the SM13 .
More on that in this thread...
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?8172-StripersAndAnglers-Education-Series-How-to-beef-up-the-Daiwa-Minnow-and-SP

finchaser
12-29-2011, 02:59 PM
the 6" casts and swims like s_it

fishinmission78
12-30-2011, 11:16 AM
Fished OC, 6-8am, incoming, 3 bass on ava dragged slowly, biggest 30".

vpass
12-30-2011, 11:45 AM
Fished OC, 6-8am, incoming, 3 bass on ava dragged slowly, biggest 30".

Nice going Fishinmission.

I'm stuck home till sunday morning. That might be my last outing.

lostatsea
12-30-2011, 02:56 PM
Way to go fishing mission. You are hardcore for still sticking it out!

toadfish
12-30-2011, 05:54 PM
NoMoCo 10-2 silence of the clams

gjb1969
12-30-2011, 06:56 PM
have u guys heard a nice bluefin got pulled in today on the mbp while bass fishing the tuna hit a krock spoon the weight was between 175 180 lbs and 61 inches long i got the call before the pic so i was saying bs till i saw the pic its up on the net now so if u still say bs look for your self and the bass are still here to pic of a 42 lb bass

storminsteve
12-30-2011, 10:43 PM
Wow gjb that is a nice bass! How far off the beach were they when they caught that?
Got some bass tonight, after dark they started hitting. Metal lipped swimmers and bombers did it for me. 7 basss to 31", released, nomoco. I can't believe how nice out it was. This weather and bait around is mind boggling. I wonder how long it can last?

storminsteve
12-30-2011, 10:47 PM
NoMoCo 10-2 silence of the clams

Ha toadfish that was great!:clapping::clapping: Do you have any video skills? Sounds like a great topic for a movie. I fished nomocoo too, the clam guys didn't seem to get anything, I don't know why. But next time bring some bombers and metal lip swimmers with you. I heard the bass were on herring though I didn't see any, Good luck and Happy New Year!

DarkSkies
12-31-2011, 05:28 PM
Yeah Toadfish funny stuff, thanks for the report. :thumbsup: :HappyWave:
PM me when you're heading out next time, it's still worth the trip.... :fishing:
Way to get out there and catch em up, guys! I wonder if we know how lucky we actually are to have these quality bass in the last week of December.

With one skunk in the last week, the good fishing continues...:drool:
Worked a 10 mile area of beach last night till 9am today.
8 stops in all, where I picked up fish at some of them.. and others were dead.

Managed 14 bass to 15#. Worked hard for these fish, as the conditions changed with the tide and the light levels.
Nonetheless it was a blast!
That brings the total for the last 7 nights to 40, not bad for the last week of December.
When else have we had conditions of 50 degrees, feeding fish, and limited night wind on Dec 30? Not in about 5 years or so....:wheeeee:

2 biggest fish of the night came on Surfstix's Danny Swimmer, thanks Surfstix!
Full report in the Winter fishing thread. :fishing:

gjb1969
12-31-2011, 06:38 PM
well i did the boat thing and it was a bust four bass came over the rails and one blue and that was it i am done till spring

cowherder
12-31-2011, 07:15 PM
at least you tried gjb, and as they say here you can't catch them sitting at home in your easy chair!

I fished nomoco last night and got 2 bass, one on a black bomber and one on a black teaser. They were both short but fat! Biggest one was 25". It was beautiful out.
Dark you are really on fire this week, way to go!

storminsteve
12-31-2011, 08:52 PM
Yeah ds kudos on the great catch reports this week. Thanks for the heads up via PM, it helped. I tell you one thing, you really pay attention to the bait or forage as you call it, and it paid off for you. :HappyWave:

xtreme_visions
01-01-2012, 08:26 AM
:skunk: fished rocks again sat with a buddy for some blackfish and once again no luck! :banghead2:

vpass
01-01-2012, 11:36 AM
NIce going guys. It worth taking advantage of the nice weather considering it was the last week of Dec. Dark you kicked @$$. You caught more fish in the last week of Dec. then the peak of the Fall Run. Nice going.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

toadfish
01-01-2012, 03:58 PM
Thanks,storminsteve. I wasn't using clams,just like the way it sounds.
Dark, I'm the guy that gave you the homemade slug go's a couple of seasons ago at the hook. Missing that long walk on account of the dredging...it's the only exercise I get.

xtreme_visions
01-02-2012, 10:54 AM
Fished sunday and caught the big :skunk:again. used green crabs and clams, fished rocks and surf.

cowherder
01-02-2012, 12:29 PM
Fished nomoco yesterday around high tide. Fished both sides of some jetties. Got 2 bass, biggest was 23", on a chicken scratch bomber. Beautiful conditions for January! Woo hoo!

storminsteve
01-02-2012, 12:50 PM
Managed 5 to 25" Sun afternoon, from the middle of the outgoing tide to 2 hours after dark, Daiwa salt minnow and Mag Darter. The fish were close to the structure. No bird activity at all where I fished. And I agree with Cowherder. I was a little hung over from the night before but once I got out there it was a great tonic for the festivities the night before. Invigorating, and fish the first day of January! What more could you want?- other than a menage-a troix with 2 Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders.:pig:

jigfreak
01-02-2012, 01:02 PM
Got 7 to 11# last night, last of the out, big dannys and bombers, black, and black.

fishinmission78
01-02-2012, 01:38 PM
Nice going Fishinmission.

I'm stuck home till sunday morning. That might be my last outing.

Thanks vpass there are still some fish around you just have to work for them. Good luck

fishinmission78
01-02-2012, 01:38 PM
Got 7 to 11# last night, last of the out, big dannys and bombers, black, and black.

Nice!!

DarkSkies
01-02-2012, 04:22 PM
Pics and report from 12-31-11

Way to get out there and catch em up, guys! I wonder if we know how lucky we actually are to have these quality bass in the last week of December.
With one skunk in the last week, the good fishing continues...:drool:
Worked a 10 mile area of beach last night till 9am today.
8 stops in all, where I picked up fish at some of them.. and others were dead.

Managed 14 bass to 15#. Worked hard for these fish, as the conditions changed with the tide and the light levels.
Nonetheless it was a blast!
That brings the total for the last 7 nights to 40, not bad for the last week of December.
When else have we had conditions of 50 degrees, feeding fish, and limited night wind on Dec 30? Not in about 8 years or so....:wheeeee:

2 biggest fish of the night came on Surfstix's Danny Swimmer, thanks Surfstix!
Full report in the Winter fishing thread. :fishing:

Pics from the 12-31 trip.
Quick story as well...
The fish were scattered through the night, bite picked up around sunrise, and then after the tide started coming in, with the size of the fish substantially decreasing in the sunlight as well...but we did have a slow pick to around 9am when I left....

I fished with 2 other surfcasters...
1, a veteran club guy I've known for few years, old timer...
Another, a "Newcomer" who came up from S Jersey because he was tired of the "fish on metal" 1 1/2 hour morning bite down there...

Googan mistakes:
He gets a nice fish slightly before sunrise. I see he's having a little trouble bringing it in, slippery rocks,,,go and offer to help him..just as I get there and he says "Yes, thanks" he falls into the water, waist deep. :scared:

I immediately climbed down and lunged for him, helped bring him back up to level ground. He was a little wet, somewhat embarassed, but the notable thing is that within 30 secs of him securing his fish to a rope (keeper around 9-10#), he was back to fishing like it never happened.

When it did happen, I thought to myself "Boy it really s*ucks to be this guy". http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png Now he was wet and his time out there with us would be limited.

The irony here is that 1/2 hour later, I hook into a nice fish, 15 lb class, my biggest of the trip, on a Surfstix purple Danny . I climbed down to land the fish in the same general area he did as it was somewhat protected from the waves of the now-rising tide, and was the most logical place to go...

I get there and as I have the fish by the 100lb leader and am bringing it to where I want it, a wave from the mid-period swell
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?7984-Stripers-amp-Anglers-Education-Series-groundswells-and-other-terms...&highlight=mid+period+swell

crashes over my head and causes me to lose my footing. I slip on another rock and fall into waist deep water as well....:whoo: The wave crashing over my head and the slip allowed the fish to get off, well, I had the leader in my hand anyway, so this one counts.....
This wasn't the exact edge of the ocean, but a deep pocket among the rocks where we were...not exactly like getting washed into the ocean, but still nerve wracking for a few secs...

So my new friend Bob then came down to my rescue, :clapping: :HappyWave:
When he did, it was a simple "thanks, bud" and we were all back to fishing within seconds because the morning bite there was hot, and we didn't want to lose any casting time....

Later on, as we were getting ready to leave, we chatted a bit, and he slipped backwards down a slippery rock again (miind you we were all wearing korkers)....
I relate this example not to single him out for his mistake, as I made the same one as well, first time falling in out of many years of fishing the rocks....

I mention this to bring to light the issue that out there on the rocks, your life can be hanging by a shred, at any time,...all it takes is a few seconds of inattention (or in Bob's and my case, fatigue from fishin all night) and conditions can change in an instant.

In the short time he fished with us, he demonstrated skill on the rocks, reading the water, and catching by paying attention to the clues (he had never fished there before)
I would definitely be honored to fish with him again., a gentleman and a hardcore guy who travels out of his comfort zone to get fish...:thumbsup:

The point of all this is that "things happen". It's your job when out there to try to anticipate what you will do when they do, and be prepared for it....if you can't do that, then you shouldn't be out there in colder water and weather.

We were all wearing rain gear or Grundens that night, no one had on waders...because we all knew the risks we were taking and wanted to mazimize our survival if anything happened....

And although I have been wearing a PFD out there on the flood tides, I am now wearing one at all stages of my trip for this colder weather fishing.

I strongly encourage others who fish in this simiilar jetty environment to do the same. There is nothing "sissy" about wearing a PFD and protecting yourself in case you have to self-rescue....:clapping:

And anyone who is so insecure in their manhood to poke fun at someone doing this, well IMO they are not a true fisherman, and really don't have a clue as to the risks that are out there....:learn:

Thanks for reading, folks! :HappyWave:
Some of the pics...
The blood in the pools is the blood from the fish Bob kept....

Blood stains....

The hot color in the night was black, and black bomber outfished all else, even the Daiwa SM......
After sunrise, yellow proved to be more productive...

Blood on the rocks....

Bob's fish, nice meetin ya Bob! :HappyWave:
Fish with ya again anytime.

You can see in the pic above that even though he is not wearing waders, he still had a wading belt on. Good move, and a smart one too....

DarkSkies
01-02-2012, 04:25 PM
2 largest bass of the night on this Surfstix purple Danny.... thanks Surfstix! :clapping: :HappyWave:

(Note that I got rid of the rusty hook as I was anticipating some larger bass, and I don't want to lose a fish once I get a solid hooket)

DarkSkies
01-02-2012, 04:33 PM
Fished the last 4 hours of the ebb on New Years morning, Jan 1. Stopped before sunrise as I had to get home and promised to take Pebbles somewhere...

The fish are still around but getting smaller. It's going to get tougher and tougher to pull a 15 or 20# out of the mix , as the average size of the fish decreases to 22 INCHES...but I'll keep trying, and congrats to all you guys who are out there too...this bite is really something special to me as we haven't had one this late in the season in almost 10 years....:drool:

I fished 3 places and could only find fish at 1 of them....

Standard black bomber was the only thing that worked for me that night. An abundance of rainfish/bay anchovies in the mix might account for that....Some pics. Enjoy....

Total for the night, managed 3 bass to 24".

hookset
01-02-2012, 07:54 PM
...this bite is really something special to me as we haven't had one this late in the season in almost 10 years....:drool:

Awesome reports guys, you are truly hardcore. I feel like I'm there with each of these detailed reports. Good luck catching but please be safe out there.

jigfreak
01-03-2012, 02:35 AM
Picked up 8 bass tonite to 27". Moco, daiwa plug and blurple bomber. Good job dark,

plugaholic
01-03-2012, 09:56 AM
Wow you guys are crushing them! How do you manage to stand the cold?

plugaholic
01-03-2012, 09:57 AM
Awesome reports guys, you are truly hardcore. I feel like I'm there with each of these detailed reports. Good luck catching but please be safe out there.

I love the stories and pics, dark, you should think of writing for on the water or a magazine like that. Very well written.

skinner
01-03-2012, 10:01 AM
:fishing: :drool:I am now living my life vicariously through these reports as I have packed the striper fishing in for the year. Fantastic effort guys, keep up the good work.

CharlieTuna
01-03-2012, 10:03 AM
When I lived in NJ there was only one year I remember catching them in January. Way to stick it out.

finchaser
01-03-2012, 07:54 PM
December of 2005 and January 2006 we averaged 20 to 25 fish per day that run ended 2/14/06 in a snow storm

2007 ended toward the end of January

So it's been a while since they stayed this long

vpass
01-03-2012, 08:00 PM
That is awesome. I never caught a bass in January. I will try this weekend. The weather will be warmer. Good going guys.

DarkSkies
01-04-2012, 11:46 PM
Fished the Ocean the night of 1/2 to 1/3...it was an exceptional night...:drool:

I decided to check out a place that a friend of mine mentioned. Neither of us had been there in a while, and I know he was kind of looking for a scouting report...I was glad to oblige...

After a long walk, I set up with a black bomber. Would have used a Diawa SM, as I was adjacent to deeper water. but the actual water I was fishing was shallower and the tide was dropping. I developed a theory after only getting 3 the other night that perhaps the fish were feeding on a different time, and feeding in water of 3' or less. This led me to choose the bomber over the Daiwa.

Great choice, I hit paydirt!
I landed fish on my 2nd, 8th, 9th, 13th, and 20th casts. Pretty damn good action. I was kicking myself for not being there an hour earlier. Wondering if they had been feeding at that stage all along.

That's the thing about this bite....it is solid, but you have to move around to find the feeding fish if you want real numbers and sizes.

If you don't find them and are not out at the right time and place for that stage of the tide... you will get dead water and it won't be revealed to you that the larger ones are there.

I find that to be a challenge, and as addictive as catching the fish.

I spend hours during the day while working daydreaming when they could be feeding, where that could be, and always have a few spots lined up in case things don't pan out at one of them...Sometimes, you just can't dial in, can't put it together...hey that's fishing..

..but when it does come together, and all your homework and assumptions pay off, its a sweet personal sense of satisfaction that drives me to be out there again and again, even when the pain from frostbite is so great I have to stop fishing for awhile and thaw my fingers in my pockets...

The action dissipated after that, about a fish stuck or bumped every 10 casts. It was a good solid hour of action. Gradually I realized I had to move elsewhere. I made that move and nabbed one small schoolie on a white/yellow swimmer at first light. Action drastically shut off after that and I called it a night.

Look how fat this one was. I got 2 fish both around 28". One of them I estimate at 8lbs, standard size for that length. The other one was fat as a tuna and I estimated it to be around 11#.

This is the thing I was talking about in one of the other threads, that there seem to be 2 types or strains of bass mixed together in this nightly mix....the Chesapeake strain, which could possibly be the bigger and fatter fish, that have temporarily taken hiatus from the migration, and the Hudson fish, the smaller ones, the skinny schoolies that we (Exclusively) get at the end of the run every year, otherwise known as "death rats".

There are a lot of death rats around now if you are dialed into catching them. We saw an old timer catch 20 in less than an hour the other morning...he was jigging metal in a certain way...more on that in another thread...

For the log, and the new guys.....

Mon night, 1/2 to 1/3/12...

Temps, start to finish......34-30
Wind....W/NW (mostly W, 0-10mph)

15 bass to 18#....:drool:
Action was great, dropped about 10 as they were very light hits. A bump that felt like a hickory shad could be either an 18" or an 18# bass....you had to stick them quick and hard to find out what was at the end of the rainbow.....:cool:

4 of them were keepers up to 18#, released...

DarkSkies
01-04-2012, 11:50 PM
Again, the 2 biggest fish of the night came on a Surfstix Purple Danny you see pictured here..
2 other keepers came on a black bomber. For some reason that simple black bomber outfished the Daiwa Salt Minnow, only managed 1 on the Daiwa....

Bass caught on Surfstix purple Danny.....

Look at the belly on this one......

DarkSkies
01-04-2012, 11:59 PM
I can't claim the first 20, as a few guys I know have done much better than I have. Congrats to them and all the time they put in out there, sacrificing sleep and a normal life to be there when the fish are feeding.

These last 3 pics show a fish that was 36" and was grotesquely fat. The stomach was so round it looked like she had 2 or 3 adult sized bunker in her....

She was 36". According to the chart, a fish that size should be 16.8 to 22lbs.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?154-Helpful-Fishing-Links

From my personal log, a fish usually needs to be 38" to be a 20....
This fish, as fat as she was, was definitely closer to 20, than 18....

But since she went back in the water, and I dont carry a scale...we'll call it 18... I wish some of ya's could have been out there to see the belly on her....

Note the new front treble I put on Surfstix's plug in anticipation of running into some nicer fish. Good thing I did.....

dogfish
01-05-2012, 01:32 AM
Nice work there, laddie.:clapping::clapping:
Joisy fish in January? You folks don't know how lucky you are.

7deadlyplugs
01-05-2012, 08:28 AM
You folks don't know how lucky you are.

x2, jealous as hell. Just kidding!
Our season closed Dec 15. Dark you are really getting some nice numbers there, congrats on th c&r too. You set a good example for others. Good job.

jigfreak
01-05-2012, 08:47 AM
Got 9 bass to 15lbs last night. As you mentioned they turned off at first light. Bomber, magdarter, redfin, all got fish. Still here. Great writing and report Dark, congrats on that 18.

wish4fish
01-05-2012, 02:12 PM
dude u r on fire! thats my boy dark lurking around the night prowler with the bass wtg! jigfreeak too u r da man! no one has the cahoneys to fish now and you guys are slamming it big time!

rockhopper
01-05-2012, 03:07 PM
thats my boy dark lurking around the night prowler with the bass wtg!

Love that night prowler reference. And the road in this video reminds me of one on the way to the water.:cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW_VSN9nDi4&feature=related

Nice catching fellas, sure do wish I lived in Jersey right now.

vpass
01-05-2012, 05:44 PM
Awesome, here we are a week into January and the bass are still around. Nice going guys.

VegasVin
01-05-2012, 07:41 PM
Great job dark, keep up the good work ;-)

DarkSkies
01-05-2012, 11:15 PM
^^ Welcome, Vegas! I'm officially out of the game for about 2 nights, people, while the car is in the shop...http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png...The withdrawal is tough, I'm kicking myself for not making it out last night, as the weather window was perfect. :beatin:

Congrats to all those who are making the effort and braving the cold....
Here's your chance to get out there and get some Jan numbers in...
When I get back into the game I'll be hitting it more than ever, and working hard on the night tides,,,,so catch em while ya can, be careful, have fun, and be safe....:thumbsup:

storminsteve
01-05-2012, 11:20 PM
5 bass to 27 1/2" between 5-6pm. Schoolbus bomber and the black daiwa. Moco. Dark, outstanding report. if you need a ride to the fish call me any time.

albiealert
01-06-2012, 02:04 PM
Wow you guys are really getting into some nice bass, congrats!

ledhead36
01-06-2012, 02:31 PM
:clapping: :headbang:Way to keep it going dudes, you are hardcore.

DarkSkies
01-06-2012, 10:37 PM
The bite continues...but we only had an hour tonight....missed that afternoon window...hey that's fishing. :don't know why:

Pebbles offered to take her car as she wanted to get in some fishin time, so we made a trip to the ocean. We met up with the Old Farts Fishin Club (OFFC) who were leaving as we got there. They said the bite had slowed to a slow pick, and had each picked up a few short fat bass plugging the beach, WTG guys! :clapping: :HappyWave:

Pebbles and I moved to another location.
Gave it an hour. The building SE swell cut down on the fishable areas, the wind was mostly S, and didn't turn W till we were on our way home. Still, some keepers were caught to the teens, and mostly smaller fish in the end of day bite. It really ended about 15 minutes before we got there, and we didn't have the time to wait for it to turn around.

Still a nice night out, and it felt like Spring as the weather was in the 50's. Dozens of guys fishing at different locations, taking advantage of the great weather...but in all, a little crowded..when I get my car back I'll return to the night tides. I have a feeling some of ya's are going to do very well tonight. Catch em up. :fishing:

SharkHart
01-07-2012, 02:11 PM
Came out of winter retirement looking the plug bite on the second half of the night , but it was more like casting practice for next year. I did manage to one bass early in incomming, then I went 3.5 hrs without a hit over all the spots.

I think you have to be out early in the night, then they go to sleep.

DarkSkies
01-07-2012, 08:04 PM
I did manage to one bass early in incomming, then I went 3.5 hrs without a hit over all the spots.

^^To me this is an outstanding report. :thumbsup: Not about the numbers ya got, but that you're one of the few out there to give it 3.5 hours when it seems like it ain't gonna happen. Last night may have been an off night but you pushed on anyway. Some are blaming it on the full moon, and give up after an hour, or in their minds only see it as an end of day bite...that's only part of the big picture out there right now...

The one night when I had fewer fish but some to the mid-teens, I threw the surfstix Danny for 2 1/2 hours without as much as a bump before a teen fish exploded on it. :wheeeee:

People think it's easy to get numbers out there, but it ain't...it's a lot of hard work....I only wish your hard work paid off for you last night, but at least ya got one..:clapping:...(hope it was worth coming out of retirement for...:rolleyes: you and Vegas should see about playing a few rounds of golf together...;) ) .Congrats and you'll gettum next time.

Great effort, thanks for the report....

Some pics we took last night of keeper fish....

Mid-teens bass, nailed on black bomber. nice meetin ya! :HappyWave:

TC and his friend were out there, 2nd night in a row, got this fat keeper among a few others...nice meetin ya's, we'll hook up in the Spring again...:HappyWave:

And congrats to all who are out there giving it a shot...when was the last time ya can remember catching fish like this in January? :drool:

xtreme_visions
01-07-2012, 08:34 PM
i had no luck with a black bomber on the incoming. left around 7. tried a few things

plugcrazy
01-07-2012, 08:37 PM
Fished moco from 3:30 to 6. Picked up 2 bass using a magdarter right around sunset. The biggest was 25", nice fattie.

storminsteve
01-07-2012, 08:57 PM
Keep at it extreme. I was casting a daiwa close to sundown today, 4 to 26" in MoCo. Nice pics dark, my offer to drive you around still stands if you don't have your car back yet.

xtreme_visions
01-08-2012, 09:36 AM
:fishing: i plan to steve. i think it was my fault i came up empty handed :huh: :learn:

bababooey
01-08-2012, 10:16 AM
Nice pics dark, my offer to drive you around still stands if you don't have your car back yet.
Dark on a hot streak? Well I'll be a monkey's uncle! Just figure out what vehicle he drives and then follow him like they follow Rich Swiss.;) :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
01-08-2012, 11:41 AM
I did manage to one bass early in incomming, then I went 3.5 hrs without a hit over all the spots.

I think you have to be out early in the night, then they go to sleep.

Almost the same play book for me last night, too. Pebbles offered me the use of her car, I took it. Fished 4 locations in 3 hours on the flood.

Not real happy with the swell,..it was an intermittent mid-period swell..
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?7984-Stripers-amp-Anglers-Education-Series-groundswells-and-other-terms...&highlight=mid+period+swell

The thing about this swell, there was a period of 5 waves 2-4', duration 4-5 secs.
There was another period of 15-20 waves, duration 4-5 secs.
In between there was some calm water.

This would seem good as it churned up the water where I was, but the inconsistency of the swell made it dangerous to fish where I usually do, on the flood.

The new moon tide came in quickly, causing me to move a lot. In life, you gotta work with what you're given, and I just had to be out there...

Spot after spot produced no fish...not even a tap....
Finally managed some action 1/2 hour before first light. Between that time and first light I landed 3 schoolies to 24". All action where I was died as soon as the sun hit the horizon.

Not exactly the feed I was looking for, but it was action.
Another significant clue to me was where I was, bait usually all over, there was very little...

I'm hoping this will change within the next 3 nights due to the full moon..

if not, IMO it will be back to a late afternoon bite till the water temps are too cold and the fish shut off completely.

All fish on a Daiwa Salt minnow. I worked a lot of other profiles in my bag from small to large with no action at all. Even the always popular black bomber could not draw a tap.

Results:
3 schoolies to 24".

Water temps - 47 degrees, fish hits were very sluggish..
Air temps - start to finish - 42-38 degrees,
Wind - very mild, < 10mph

DarkSkies
01-08-2012, 12:28 PM
Dark on a hot streak? Well I'll be a monkey's uncle! Just figure out what vehicle he drives and then follow him like they follow Rich Swiss.;) :HappyWave:

I love Swiss, but he's too recognizable, that's part of his misery.
I don't need that misery and am now on radio silence hoping this night feed starts again...changing vehicles, parking in the Commuter lot of the GSP and taking my bicycle to the beach...etc... ;)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?7850-Fishing-Bicycles&highlight=fishing+bicycle

Come on out and look for me if you dare, I might even get ya a fish or 2...:cool:
if ya can handle the drill sergeant way we'll be moving around, that is....:moon: :laugh:
I guarantee a few trips with me, and you'll lose that 10 lbs ya been promising yourself you'd lose....for the last 5 years! :ROFLMAO :HappyWave:

fishinmission78
01-08-2012, 12:39 PM
way to go guys.

cowherder
01-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Phenomenal catches guys! You are all racking up some fastastic numbers. How many do you have for the last 2 weeks, dark, is it up to 60 yet?:bigeyes:
I am leaving as soon as the game is over to try some late afternoon plugging. Good luck all!

DarkSkies
01-09-2012, 10:55 AM
if ya can handle the drill sergeant way we'll be moving around, that is....:moon: :laugh:
I guarantee a few trips with me, and you'll lose that 10 lbs ya been promising yourself you'd lose....for the last 5 years! :ROFLMAO :HappyWave:

I already lost 7 lbs in the last 3 weeks moving around at night, Bababooey, so hit me uo anytime ya feel like ya need some exercise...:cool:

Last night:
A lot of guys have been complaining to me they can't catch fish on the full moon...yes, it is tougher, more of a challenge. But if the fish are feeding and the bait is there, AND you are willing to work for them, you can be successful.

I missed the sunset bite. When I got there I saw that very few fish were caught, one of them a 10# keeper by a friend, an older veteran angler, on a vision eel. Everyone else gave up at that location soon after dark, and left.

I waited for the tide to turn to ebb, worked it a bit more. Still unsuccessful, but you shouldn't leave a place that "was" productive if it's possible that the slack killed the bite, you should wait a few minutes to see if the tide's turn will make any difference...

Only had 3 hours to fish the ebb, so I kept moving.

Ended up fishing a few more locations with no activity at all. Getting a little discouraged, I decided to push on for the 5th location. It wasn't extremely cold, but the wind was picking up, NW, and I was a little burnt out.

When I got there I saw that I was not alone. Usually this bums me out, but at this point I was tired and welcomed the company. One of the guys was an old fishin buddy I haven't seen in awhile. He had been doing ok plugging from the top of the tide, no big fish, all small. Slow, slow pick, but at least it was action.

At that point the action seemed to slack off. He managed 1 more and left. I managed 1 as well, but you had to cast and cast for each fish. The levels of activity that were off the chart the previous weeks were missing. We knew that but were happy to be out there anyway.

Toward the end, I did some scouting, found some interesting things. We'll see if my findings hold true... My hands got wet and the wind kicked up again. Frostbite set in and I was done.http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png

Results and condions:
1 short bass around 22", bomber
Activity level: low, slow pick
Wind NW, intermittent, up to 10mph,
Swell: from the N/NE, lots of white water, but manageable on the ebb.
Temps start-finish: 42-31

DarkSkies
01-09-2012, 11:09 AM
Phenomenal catches guys! You are all racking up some fastastic numbers. How many do you have for the last 2 weeks, dark, is it up to 60 yet?:bigeyes:

Cowherder, if you count the last 2 weeks as consecutive weeks of a year, I landed 59 bass including the lone bass last night. You have to remember that a lot of these were small fish. Only about 12-15 of them were keeper sized, and while the biggest was 18#, that represents a lot of hours of lost sleep and cold fingers.

And honestly, I don't want to lump those numbers together like that. The 40 were caught in the last week of Dec and belong with 2011. As Finchaser so candidly notes, those are yesterday's fish....:) :HappyWave:

So for 2012, clean slate, my numbers so far for January are 19, with 4 keepers to 18# in the mix.

Still.... lots of work and sacrifices are made to be there when these fish are feeding. A lot of guys have packed it in for the year, but there are still some of us out there at night. To me, it's still worth it. ;) :fishing:

finchaser
01-09-2012, 01:32 PM
:clapping::clapping:Marathon Man^^^^^^:clapping::clapping:

AKA King Googan/Bag-O- Fish:HappyWave:

cowherder
01-09-2012, 02:18 PM
Cowherder, if you count the last 2 weeks as consecutive weeks of a year, I landed 59 bass including the lone bass last night. You have to remember that a lot of these were small fish. Only about 12-15 of them were keeper sized, and while the biggest was 18#, that represents a lot of hours of lost sleep and cold fingers.

And honestly, I don't want to lump those numbers together like that. The 40 were caught in the last week of Dec and belong with 2011. As Finchaser so candidly notes, those are yesterday's fish....:) :HappyWave:

So for 2012, clean slate, my numbers so far for January are 19, with 4 keepers to 18# in the mix.

Still.... lots of work and sacrifices are made to be there when these fish are feeding. A lot of guys have packed it in for the year, but there are still some of us out there at night. To me, it's still worth it. ;) :fishing:

Those are still fantastic catches for January Dark! Be proud of them, I would!

cowherder
01-09-2012, 02:20 PM

Is it time for a S&A Tshirt? I'm in!
As to fishing, I went last night and got one small striper. It was about 24", got on a yellow chicken scratch bomber. Hit right at sunset.

bababooey
01-09-2012, 02:44 PM
I already lost 7 lbs in the last 3 weeks moving around at night, Bababooey, so hit me uo anytime ya feel like ya need some exercise...:cool:

Thanks for the offer but no thanks. If I join a gym I get to look at some sweet T&A when exercising. Hanging out with you surf rats would probably get a little smelly, I'll pass - but hey thank you for trying!:kooky:

jigfreak
01-09-2012, 04:01 PM
Outstanding job guys.

voyager35
01-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Good work fellas. It seems incredible that we still have bass action in January, doesn't it?

hookset
01-09-2012, 05:28 PM
Fan-effing-tasttic!
Keep up the good work I am loving these reports and the details.

dogfish
01-09-2012, 05:31 PM
Now I am beyond jealous. The Dark, the Dark, the Dark is on fire-:eek:
Good for ya, lads. Keep it going. Remember if your fingers fall off crazy glue works good to get them back on and back to fishing.

lostatsea
01-09-2012, 05:40 PM
I can't believe you guys are out in this cold. It's like carp fishing in January. You have called these fish striped carp, so maybe it's not a lot different only you are all using lures. Is anyone using biat for these fish? How about crabs?

vpass
01-09-2012, 08:34 PM
I got out today fished till dark. I jumped on a few jetties. seen only one fish caught as the sun was setting. It was great getting out and it was my first skunk of 2012. hoping to get out again tomorrow.

jigfreak
01-10-2012, 10:00 AM
Good night last night. 12 bass to 17#. Swimmers.

vpass
01-10-2012, 10:08 AM
Nice going Jig, awesome. Water Temps in the surf is near 45 Deg. I'm curious when the bass will stop hitting plugs.

storminsteve
01-10-2012, 10:10 AM
Picked up 6 bass in Nomoco around dark yesterday. Up to 32". Yozuri minnows and vision sand eels. Fun!
Vpass how many hours were you casting for? I found the fish to be very scattered. Good luck.

7deadlyplugs
01-10-2012, 11:55 AM
Wow you guys are amazing! I am living my winter blahs through you all. Check this thread every day. Keep up the good work!

vpass
01-10-2012, 12:02 PM
Vpass how many hours were you casting for? I fished for almost 2 hours. I left as it was getting dark. Hoping to get out this weekend. It going to be colder.

surfwalker
01-10-2012, 07:39 PM
Have been looking forward to the posts daily on this thread and have been enjoying them tremendously. Congrats to those having the opportunity to get out there and report back.

Happy Trails

Monty
01-10-2012, 07:59 PM
Have been looking forward to the posts daily on this thread and have been enjoying them tremendously. Congrats to those having the opportunity to get out there and report back. Happy Trails

Me too Surfwalker, my season ended mid-December, just got to busy with other stuff. Reading all the reports from Dark and others has been great. Thanks guys for sharing

xtreme_visions
01-11-2012, 01:02 AM
Got my 1st bass on a plug tonight!

Monty
01-11-2012, 06:11 AM
Got my 1st bass on a plug tonight!

That's great, congratulations, looks like a football!

surfwalker
01-11-2012, 06:37 AM
Nice, congrats.

surfstix1963
01-11-2012, 08:08 AM
Good season Rich, late but better then never and still going I'm glad to see the plugs worked out for ya anytime my friend but I think it is an A-40 not a danny lol my personal favorite metal lip I didn't want to say anything lol doesn't really matter its how you present it and I see you worked your butt off figuring out how they liked it.

xtreme_visions
01-11-2012, 08:14 AM
thanks guys! :headbang: fished MoCo from around 7pm-11pm last night. hit a few spots. 1st spot i missed a fish the 1st 10min there then about 2hrs later hit another spot. 3-4 casts and i had a fish! :clapping: small but im not complaining. this is the 1st time i caught a saltwater fish on a plug. and the 2nd striper ive caught since i started fishing a yr ago. thanks to dark for all his advice on landing them with a plug and everything else. seen a nice keeper caught at the 1st spot to.

DarkSkies
01-11-2012, 10:06 AM
thanks guys! :headbang: fished MoCo from around 7pm-11pm last night. hit a few spots. 1st spot i missed a fish the 1st 10min there.

Ya know that was a 20# that you missed, bro! :beatin: ;)
You were there right time and tide, and the fatties were right in front of ya for a short while. The guys who left before you did didn't have the discipline to stick it out, as the hits are very scattered and take work and perseverance. The fish are very sluggish at night unless actively feeding.
When you swing and miss at a "tap", you really have no way of knowing if that fish was 20" or 20#.

then about 2hrs later hit another spot. 3-4 casts and i had a fish! . this is the 1st time i caught a saltwater fish on a plug. and the 2nd striper ive caught since i started fishing a yr ago.....

thanks to dark for all his advice on landing them with a plug and everything else. seen a nice keeper caught at the 1st spot to.

I was a little tough on ya over the phone. Pebbles told me I should give ya a break. I told her...
"I'm trying to get this mook :laugh: :HappyWave: into his first bass on artificials, I AM giving him a break by being as patient as I am...".:argue: :kooky: :)

You're welcome...welcome to the world of surfcasting...
Very proud of your persistence. :clapping::thumbsup: There is nothing like a first surf caught bass on artificials for a surfcaster's enthusiasm to get amped up...to see that a little piece of plastic, wood, rubber, or metal will get a fish to commit suicide with it...I have a feeling this is the beginning of a very long addiction....enjoy, and you're welcome....:thumbsup: :fishing:

2 night report...
Mon night was outstanding, 19 bass to 15#, biggest on Surfstix's Custom A-40 (Sorry Surf, I tend to call ALL metal lipped swimmers "Dannies", less syllables to say, and we all know how I need to cut down on the syllables and paragraphs I spew out there...:ROFLMAO )
I'll post the pics when I get a chance with an abbreviated report. I'm losing energy to post these long-winded reports when I need to spend my time on work, Pebbles, and going after these fish at night.
Those of you who got my phone reports consider yourselves lucky (or cursed...:laugh:)

Tue night... by the time I got out there I couldn't find them in any numbers...it was more of a challenge than I was up to, and I ran out of steam...http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png
2 bass to 30", the keeper was about 10#, released, and not as fat as some of the others have been.
I abbreviated a short 3 hour trip into 2 hours as my body couldn't take it anymore..when a perfectly balanced Finchaser rod, light as a feather, starts to feel like a telephone pole, you know you need to go home and rest...

I also had an impulse to close my eyes and take a rest by sitting down..where I was if you do that the rats will eat your eyeballs...:scared: that let me know it was too much and I called it a night early...
Long day at work today, hopefully back out at night, weather permitting...:fishing:

Congrats again Extreme, and all the others who pushed it to get fish.....:clapping:

xtreme_visions
01-11-2012, 11:14 AM
hey.... tell pebbles not to worry. listening to u is entertaining. you would make a great motivational speaker :viking: :huh:

excuse my lack of enthusiasm on the phone. i tend to mumble alot and act dead :boring: but i am a wolf in sheeps clothing. long day at work and i should not have been out fishing anyway :kooky:

vpass
01-11-2012, 02:59 PM
1st spot i missed a fish the 1st 10min there then about 2hrs later hit another spot. 3-4 casts and i had a fish! :clapping: small but im not complaining. this is the 1st time i caught a saltwater fish on a plug..

Congrats xtreme!!! I think your hooked for good now. :HappyWave:

jigfreak
01-11-2012, 08:57 PM
Dark, you missed it. Last night the bite was good early. 21 bass to 19#. Swimmers. Today it was slower in the light but kicked up a bit as it got dark and the water came in. 4 to 17#.

jigfreak
01-11-2012, 08:59 PM
this is the 1st time i caught a saltwater fish on a plug. and the 2nd striper ive caught since i started fishing a yr ago. .

Congrats on the fish on artis. Welcome to the insanity. You will never be the same.

hookset
01-11-2012, 09:08 PM
Hey guys super awesome reports! Dark I feel I am right there with you as you are relating the report. I would be bummed if you decided to abbreviate them but if you do I understand. You should know that there are a lot of us who can't fish this time of year and this is the only link we have to the surf. So it helps us to feel alive, please keep posting those reports and pics, please. It helps me deal with my SOB boss more easily.
Extreme visions your first bass by plugging will stay printed in your brain, congratulations and welcome to the site!:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

VSdreams
01-11-2012, 09:43 PM
This is a juiced up thread! I had trouble finding it, thought your surf fishing threads were closed for the winter, dark. Great job. keep hammering em you guys are truly die hards!
And extreme vision grats on the fish. Whether it is big or small it is something you fooled into hitting the plug. Be proud, go catch another and come back and tell us about it here.

dogfish
01-11-2012, 09:49 PM
Dark the master baiter crushes them. At least the bunker are safe from your hook now.:laugh: :HappyWave: I am happy for ya but jealous at the same time. You have higher numbers in the last 3 weeks than some googs have all season. That passage where you talked about the jetty rats hit home. I fell asleep on a jetty one night when I used to drink a lot. When I woke up there were rats on me. I believe those little buggers will eat your eyes as they are soft and full of protein.

Keep at it, and be careful. Don't fall off.:eek:

seamonkey
01-12-2012, 11:46 AM
I am assuming all the fish you guys are catching are in Northern NJ by the clues about the extensive jetty network you talk about. This is one of the most colorful threads you have here. Extreme Visions great idea for a thread and Darkskies and you other guys thanks so much for the entertainment and the pictures! We haven't had fall fish like that for years in South Jersey. Thanks and keep up the good work!

Also, I didn't know this thread existed until I went to the NJ fishing reports, saw that you closed it, clicked on it. It said the reports would continue in this thread. When I first checked, I didnt click and figured all you northern guys were done for the winter. You should broadcast this thread and give it exposure so more of us can find it. jmo

Very good job on your first plug caught fish Extreme!

xtreme_visions
01-12-2012, 01:04 PM
thanks guys. great group of people on here for sure! i plan to go out again this week. i retired that plug after 3hrs of use :kooky: gonna save it and maybe get a lil case for it to put under the pic.

i regret waiting so long to get in on this striper action. kept goin out for blackfish. :fishing:

SharkHart
01-12-2012, 02:31 PM
The **** page is finally onto and blowing up this bite : /

DarkSkies
01-12-2012, 08:21 PM
Mon night was outstanding, 19 bass to 15#,[/COLOR] biggest on Surfstix's Custom A-40 (Sorry Surf, I tend to call ALL metal lipped swimmers "Dannies", less syllables to say, and we all know how I need to cut down on the syllables and paragraphs I spew out there...:ROFLMAO )

I'll post the pics when I get a chance with an abbreviated report. I'm losing energy to post these long-winded reports when I need to spend my time on work, Pebbles, and going after these fish at night.
Those of you who got my phone reports consider yourselves lucky (or cursed...:laugh:)
Congrats again Extreme, and all the others who pushed it to get fish.....:clapping:

Look how ugly that mag darter looks, it's been hit by so many fish it has almost no color left...anyone here wanna tell me how one color or scale pattern is gonna slay them over another color?
Put another way...is it the color that catches the fish...or the guy working the plug that catches the fish....

Here you can see one with a bulging belly.

For the log:
Winds start -finish: 0-10, Sw to W
Temps: 38-32

The level of activity was exceptional. The moon being obscured by clouds probably had a lot to do with that.
What worked - mag darter fished old skool style was most effective and landed the most fish. Fish were scattered and you really had to work for them. After realizing how scattered they were, I "teased" them into hitting the plug, and my hookups increased. Caught fish on both sides of the tide.

Also caught a few on black bomber and yellow and orange swimmer.

Surfstix A-40 Plug accounted for the biggest fish, around 15#. Landed one at 15#, then lost that plug when another fish in that class wrapped me around structure and I couldn't turn her.

19 fish total
4 of the fish were keepers, to 15#... all released.

DarkSkies
01-12-2012, 08:33 PM
1-9 to 1-10 more pics

DarkSkies
01-12-2012, 08:40 PM
Tue night 1-10-12 to 1-11-12

[Tue night... by the time I got out there I couldn't find them in any numbers...it was more of a challenge than I was up to, and I ran out of steam...http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png
2 bass to 30", the keeper was about 10#, released, and not as fat as some of the others have been.
I abbreviated a short 3 hour trip into 2 hours as my body couldn't take it anymore..when a perfectly balanced Finchaser rod, light as a feather, starts to feel like a telephone pole, you know you need to go home and rest...

I also had an impulse to close my eyes and take a rest by sitting down..where I was if you do that the rats will eat your eyeballs...:scared: that let me know it was too much and I called it a night early...

Skinny belly.... 30" fish, about 10#

For the log:
Temps starting -ending: 42-34
wind, variable, very light, 0-2mph
Swell - note this was the smallest swell in the last 3 weeks. Ocean was like a lake. Generally I don't like conditions like this as it tends not to be any white water where I fish. nonetheless people did well the first part of the night, and some members here did exceptionally well with serious double digit catches. Congrats to all...:clapping:

DarkSkies
01-12-2012, 09:21 PM
Wed night 1-11-12
Noreaster fishing.
As you all know, fishing during a noreaster sucks, and is dangerous as well.
We have a thread here where a rubber lizard yells at and insults noreaster fishermen,,,a bit salty and profane, but good fun...
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?5418-West-Wind-Wally-thread...-a-SHOWDOWN!-NE-vs-NW-fishin....-PARENTAL-ADVISORY&highlight=west+wind+wally

There was a window last night that closed by 7pm, where some nice fish were caught.

Based on a conversation we had, a friend was out there giving it a try.
I was therefore "forced" to go out there to meet up with him.:laugh: :kooky: (at least that's what I told Pebbles) :rolleyes:

He's offered to go fishing with me so many times,
I've declined,and felt bad,,,so I finally made it out around 11pm. He had given it a shot, got blanked, and left....

I saw the howling wind, and took a 2 hour nap to see if it would minimize. When I awoke, it did, and there was an extremely light drizzle, winds 15-20mph. Those conditions lasted about an hour, where I gave it my best with big plugs, bottle plugs.

It really was unfishable by that time. Should have listened to the OGB and stayed home, but I also had to be out there to see for myself....:bucktooth:

surferman
01-13-2012, 09:37 AM
Phenomenal, just phenomenal. Bass in January, and some big ones! Catch them up.

cowherder
01-13-2012, 09:43 AM
:clapping::clapping:Great reports guys, I am enjoying them so much. Hope to get out this weekend and have something to post up.

xtreme_visions
01-14-2012, 02:44 PM
who is heading out tonight?

CharlieTuna
01-14-2012, 05:36 PM
Love this thread. Keep those reports coming.

DarkSkies
01-14-2012, 06:22 PM
Well, it may about time to call it..after all it is the middle of January with an exceptional bass night bite, a freak of nature bite...:scared:... but the Noreaster and SE swell from Wed night may have killed it...

Fri night report:
The winds were howling in my neighborhood 25mph plus, so I was in no hurry to get out there...finally made it out to find it was a steady 28 degrees with winds at most 10mph..

That was good. There was still a pretty big swell left over from Wed night's weather...Thus the ebb tide was the only fishable tide IMO.

Had to move to a few places were I could present correctly.

** VPass, you were right about Swell Info. The swell duration was around 8-9secs as predicted, definitely fishable.

With water like that, the thing to do is throw big. Worked it hard with bottle plugs and darters. No action whatsoever, and the bait that I had mentioned to a few of ya's was not really there, though I did find some after scounting around..

After moving for the 3rd time, I managed a small bass on a black bomber. That was a lucky bass because nowhere else did I have any action. I have been out there a lot lately and can usually tell within a few minutes if it will be a good night. I knew last night that things were probably over for the larger feeding fish I had been finding, and that if any are caught now it will be trending to the "end of day" bite I mentioned in the Turd Ferguson thread.

That's what puzzles me...some captains and internet "experts" were talking about the E/NE as something that would stir the fishing up....in my experience all something like that does, except for limited incidents in the very early spring and summer, is shut the bite completely off...cold dirty water is good for nothing in the surf except to bring dogfish around....

Anyone who is looking for a bass would be well advised to try the late afternoon pattern I mentioned in the above thread...I may try a few more times at night because I'm compulsively driven and got a little spoiled when these fish were around...but will eventually have to accept that the NJ bass season is coming to an end until March...

For the log:
Air temps start-finish 28 degrees steady.
Wind 0-10 W/SW
Swell - SE swell, 9 sec duration
Total: 1 short bass on black bomber, no other action at all.

cowherder
01-14-2012, 08:47 PM
...I may try a few more times at night because I'm compulsively driven and got a little spoiled when these fish were around...but will eventually have to accept that the NJ bass season is coming to an end until March...

Dark, let's be real here it is Jan 14 and we are still catching bass so we should count our lucky stars!. Woo hoo! I got 2 this afternoon in nomoco on the sand. There were about 10 other guys there and half of us hooked up. I was using a chicken scratch bomber. The biggest was 23", and I'm stoked!

DarkSkies
01-15-2012, 07:57 AM
Dark, let's be real here it is Jan 14 and we are still catching bass so we should count our lucky stars!. Woo hoo!

Yep, you're right Cowherder. For January 15, we should just be grateful to have any bass at all in the mix....:thumbsup: I think with some of the bigger fish I was into and the incredible action, rather than hooking them, I was "hooked" by them....:drool: ;) :fishing:
Congrats on your fish and putting in the time, it sure feels sweet doesn't it! :clapping:

Alas, all good things eventually come to en end...
and we really are transitioning to an end of day bite as I mentioned in the Turd Ferguson helps the new guys (NJ fishing) thread...and even that will soon disappear in a cloud of memories....http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png

Fished the top 2 hours of the ebb last night. Water had cleaned up a bit. The mid-period swell consisted of a 4 wave set, otherwise the duration was a pretty stable 10-11 secs.

Fished some different areas of structure I hadn't been to in awhile....bait had been around and they should have been holding a few fish. They weren't. I was trying to stay dry, bud screwed up a bit and got one of my hands wet. :bucktooth: Had to go back to the vehicle and put the spare pair on.

I pushed on after that with still no activity. Not even a tap as I threw the mag darter and small swimmers in the yellow and black range.

It was pretty damn cold, and snowing as I left the house to go fishing.
Nonetheless, with winds at 0-2mph, how could you not be out there? :laugh: :kooky:

It was a beautiful night for January fishing, but not January catching...:skunk:

For the log:
Starting -ending temps - 28-22
Winds W/NW 0-2 mph, one of the calmest nights out there yet
Moon - Waning
Water - around 46
Fish - none.

Great time out there, though, so grateful to be fishing in January, as Cowherder said. :fishing:

DarkSkies
01-16-2012, 01:20 PM

The highest praise from an Old Grouchy Basstid,,,thanks....:HappyWave:
I know if you were 15 years younger you would be out there with us at night, and your numbers and sizes would have dwarfed most of what the other guys were catchin...even those with triple digits....:cool:

You and the some of the other surf greats that you fished with would have been crushing them beyond belief....in this freak-o-nature bite that probably will never be repeated in the Dec-Jan framework...it was the perfect storm of fishing opportunity (until the actual storm ruined it). Quite a few guys dedicated a lot of time to be out there when the fish were on the feed...congrats to all who hit it hard...this is definitely one for the NJ record books. :drool:

hookset
01-16-2012, 03:11 PM
:clapping:God, you guys have had an awesome few weeks so far. So good that you may be able to sit out the Spring while the rest of us catch up and then you can slip back in in May.:HappyWave: Loved those reports. If it is really over then you have defied Mother Nature a little longer and only have to wait 6 weeks for March 1.

DarkSkies
01-16-2012, 03:41 PM
Thanks Hookset.

This has been mentioned to me several times by others here. It's absolutely true. The next 6 weeks will be a blur instead of a drag. Any time I get down all I have to do is put pics of the night bite we had in my head....and even the coldest nastiest days will be survivable...
Some regrets are that I couldn't get Pebbles into some fish, and we couldn't get the Old Grouch out there to get in on some of the action...but I have a feeling that come Spring he'll be fishing like a maniac...I'll be camping outside his house to make sure there are no excuses.....

bababooey
01-16-2012, 03:52 PM
^^ Umm Dark, maybe you want to check with him first. It would be a charitable thing, to camp downwind of him :upck:(if you will be living in your car like you are known to do).:laugh: btw, fellas, nice going on the catches.:clapping: Fishing in 22 degrees, I wouldn't even go out for blackfish in those temps.

DarkSkies
01-18-2012, 11:32 PM
^^ Bababooey, Fin is a friend, he deserves the full treatment...before I get to his house, I will already have rubbed old stinky bunker all over me. If I can find a bag of it, I will try to crush it on the ground and roll over it to get the most pungent aromas from it...

Then I'll probably pack my pockets with dead smelly eels.
If that isn't enough, I'll take some old rotten clams, rub them in my hair, and savor the stench....
How do ya think we catch fish in the early season anyway?.........

Fished last night, 2nd shift...

A friend had called earlier before I went to sleep. . He's pretty hardcore and is out regularly in adverse conditions. He claimed lots of activity but no fish hooked or landed. I told him I might go out there and give it a shot if I could get up early enough....

Woke at 2am with the wind crashing 30mph against the house....:kooky:
It was 55 degrees out... I thought to myself...if I can just get dressed in 5 minutes, I can be at the water's edge by 3 am......:fishing:

Got down there, the wind was still howliing.
When I saw the water, I began to see the problem my friend had hooking up,...during the night a mid-period swell had developed, this one being an intermittent one with sets of 2 and 5 waves, 5-6 secs in duration, waves 5-6' high, with a calm period in between...
The wind was relentless, the spray from the waves a little dangerous....but the fish were there. They were completely absent from the first stop...had to leave and try another place...

Within 5 minutes I was into fish. It was a slow steady pick hampered by the swell. The only thing in my favor was the ebb tide....

Had to work for each fish with a missed hit or fish landed every 5-10 minutes. Fished a total of 2 hours till my hands got wet and I couldn't take it anymore...

The bait we talked about last time is no longer there. Instead herring were on the menu, so the swimmer you see in the pics accounted for the action. Extremely slow retrieve. The misses were frustrating as I missed at least twice more than I landed...I usually do better than that on the hookset, but with the swell I began to see the problem my friend had out there.... if you did get action, the swell literally pulled the plug away from these light-hitting fish. When the water is this cold, you only get one chance per retrieve. The fish will generally not come back to hit the plug again once you miss the hookset.

Nonetheless, it was solid action from fish up to 26"...and just as I couldn't take the cold anymore, lost a teen size fish on structure....14745

After that, I was spent, and decided to call it a night.
The bite I'm looking for usually dies off around first light anyway when the smaller schoolies take over....

In all, a good night. :fishing:

Striped bass to the teens on January 18, doesn't get any better than that. :drool:

For the log:
Temps start-finish - 55 to 48
Winds - steady 20 W with higher gusts
Water temps - about 45, these fish are really getting sluggish
Fish - 4 landed to 26", missed about 10, and lost a teen fish on structure
Swell - mid-period intermittent swell, dangerous on the flood, fishable for part of the ebb

Rod: I had the Finchaser 7'3" stiffer rod, good for plugging in the intense wind, lifting fish, and getting them back quickly in the water. I started with some heavier rough water bottle plugs but got no activity on them. Had to change it up with the swimmer pictured.

** Note: in the last few times out, a different plug has been the top producer each time because of varying conditions. Although guys tout the Daiwa SP minnow as their "best producing plug of all time", I haven't caught a fish on that plug for over a week because the conditions where I was weren't conducive to that presentation. :learn:

That's one of the most exciting things to me about the night plug bite....it will not be revealed to you until you crack the code for that night....and the challenge of that, is part of the thrill of the chase....

Monty
01-19-2012, 06:10 AM
Dark, awesome report. ^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^ great hearing your still out there having fun with the bass.

porgy75
01-19-2012, 10:22 AM
Rod:[/B] I had the Finchaser 7'3" stiffer rod, good for plugging in the intense wind, lifting fish, and getting them back quickly in the water. I started with some heavier rough water bottle plugs but got no activity on them. Had to change it up with the swimmer pictured.

** Note: in the last few times out, a different plug has been the top producer each time because of varying conditions. Although guys tout the Daiwa SP minnow as their "best producing plug of all time", I haven't caught a fish on that plug for over a week because the conditions where I was weren't conducive to that presentation. :learn:

That's one of the most exciting things to me about the night plug bite....it will not be revealed to you until you crack the code for that night....and the challenge of that, is part of the thrill of the chase....

Darkskies thank you not only for the report but the way you write it. I am still learning about plugs. When I read your post I see there is a lot to learn. Some guys talk about useing chicken scratch bombers, and in the fall they got a lot of fish on them. I had no idea a different plug will do better each time. I thought a bomber covered the basics. The level of detail you go into is eye-opening. It almost seems like a chess game. I don't know how you withstand some of those conditions.Thank you for the exciting reports and please be careful out there.

jigfreak
01-19-2012, 04:53 PM
Good job, ds way to keep at it. I might be out there tonight. The next few days after that don't look good.

cowherder
01-19-2012, 06:30 PM
:clapping::clapping::bigeyes:Wow, awesome reports guys! I think either dark or jigfreak will be the last man standing as I don't think anyone else is plugging this time of year. Are you guys going to wait till you have icicles on your noses before you give up?:scared::HappyWave:

jigfreak
01-20-2012, 08:38 AM
Wasn't that bad out there last night cowherder. Picked up 6 to 31" on the outgoing. Swimmers, slow crawl, like dark said.

Simp
01-20-2012, 10:03 AM
What an amazing bite you guys are having!!! If bunker show up in the next 2 weeks CALL ME!!!!! :laugh:

DarkSkies
01-20-2012, 12:50 PM
Cowherder, it isn't that bad, haven't seen an icicle at the end of my nose even once...:)

It's been a little slippery at times, that's why you'll hear me talking about the danger again and again...and the other night all the sand was frozen and crunchy...:scared: other than that, I've been picking windows where the wind is 15mph or less, which makes it bearable, or at least survivable. The only nights I broke that rule were the last trip out, winds steady 20mph with higher gusts, but fish were there, and fishing an hour of the last noreaster, winds 25+ and really unfishable, gave up quickly that time....

Jigfreak, outstanding report! :clapping::clapping: :thumbsup:
I missed the window....I was supposed to fish 3-5am today, conditions and wind were perfect :drool: The alarm went off and I slept through it. A little mad at myself, as this great bite probably winds down to a close with the pending snow and storm tonight and tomorrow...http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png
But congrats to you for getting out there and catching....:fishing:

Simp...the bunker came in last week, in a freak of nature occurrence in nomoco, they had bass for 2 days in one area...late afternoon one day, where there was a solid 3 hour bite of bass on herring and bunker...bass to 25# were landed, small group of about 10 guys in on the action...and the next morning they came in for an hour, guys that were there had bass to 35#, sweet action for a select few, but definitely a rare occurrence...I don't expect that to happen again this winter....

Block some time out for the Spring, around the last week of May...come on up and we'll do some night time plugging when all the blitz fishermen are tired and have gone to bed....:ROFLMAO :cool:

paco33
01-20-2012, 02:38 PM
This has got to be one for the record books. Way to go guys.

storminsteve
01-21-2012, 07:56 AM
Great going jigfreak! I was out last night in moco, got 8 bass to 28" on the plug dark was using the other day. They were hard hits, lots of fun. All still swimming. 4-7pm.

VSdreams
01-21-2012, 08:10 AM
:thumbsup:Wow you guys are crushing it still! Way to keep it interesting. Do any of you get frostbite from the cold?

jigfreak
01-21-2012, 08:13 AM
You can use hand warmers or good gloves, VS.
13 to 29" last night, 2 keepers in the mix. Swimmers. Fish were on the feed big time, I think it's over fellas.

dogfish
01-21-2012, 09:51 AM
I think it's over fellas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRwwUZLV-IE&feature=related

finchaser
01-21-2012, 09:55 AM
Way to go JF nice catch and I agree with you, like I told Darkskies last night the fish will most likely school up feed like crazy at the start of the storm. Then leave prior to the cold dirty run off of this storm and the 3 days of heavy winds and seas. I'd bet on the fat lady singing loud today.

DarkSkies
01-21-2012, 10:49 AM
like I told Darkskies last night the fish will most likely school up feed like crazy at the start of the storm. .
Yep ya did say that, Fin...and you are one of the most vocal of that fact...been drumming it into my head ever since I met you and Killie at the Food Fling years ago... I hope some of my gratitude shone through in that babbling semi-incoherent voice mail I left ya last night as I took a break....:kooky:
I had a fantastic night because I planned it that way, and also benefit from the Old Grouch's Advice.....:clapping: :thumbsup: for which I am very, very grateful...:cool: although the next time we fish together don't expect special favors like me actually cleaning my waders beforehand, or anything like that....:laugh:

Then leave prior to the cold dirty run off of this storm and the 3 days of heavy winds and seas. I'd bet on the fat lady singing loud today.
Yeah, yeah I know...had to endure your Gloom and doom weather report lecture last night....did it ever occur to you how negative you are sometimes....:argue: give a guy some hope, willya! Sometimes I want to strangle ya to stop all that negativity from coming out...but you know I love ya anyway....:kiss:

It was over as of 4am today...the last hour of building seas and snow coming from the SE shut the bite completely off as I tried like a madman to pull just one more fish out of the slop...as if 22 wasn't enough...nope. ,,,I wanted more, more, more, hooked on the adrenalin like a Lou Reed song......

Got a great report for ya's,:drool: :fishing: for now I'll just leave this teaser post....;) and I'll try to post later on today when I get a chance...got enough adrenalin pumping through my body to last about 6 weeks!

Fin you best get ready, I'm showing up at your door March 15 and dragging ya out to the early season rubber spot....whether ya like it or not! :scared: :HappyWave:

And congrats to ALL who were out last night hitting it hard... it was the perfect window, and probably the last we'll see of this unprecedented bite... fish put the feed on with fantastic aggressiveness...as has been noted....:)

jonthepain
01-21-2012, 12:37 PM
way to go, men

reminds me of some epic runs in the 80s

living vicariously at the moment. keep it up!

finchaser
01-21-2012, 12:47 PM
way to go grass hopper:clapping::clapping::clapping:not negative just giving you a heads up on things i learned the hard way:beatin:and trying to save you gas

vpass
01-21-2012, 01:17 PM
Way to go guys, Sounds like all of you had an awesome time.:clapping::clapping:

DarkSkies
01-21-2012, 09:24 PM
How many of ya's got the stamina to plug all night?....

To go out there when you think you have a fair shot at at least getting something....:learn:

You plug and plug, changing your offerings, changing presentation....even changing sizes, types (Top, Middle, or Bottom of the water column depending on where you think the fish are that night.....:huh:

You have had some success as a surfcaster, gotten into some blitzes and done well on bass and blues.

You figure you have tricked the fish, and it's no big deal to trick them at night, right?
Sometimes....

When there are fish around...yes you can score a few...and be happy...:)

What if you are a little more advanced than that..you know how to catch fish if they are there, know what offerings they're likely to hit, pay attention to the bait available, pay attention to the tides, current, wind patterns, etc....

And you carefully try to put this all together and go out and plug at night....because of your advanced knowledge..don't you think you should at least luck into a fish or 2?....
I do.....

And I do many of the things above...I know how to catch fish, when they are there....but even the best among us, even guys like Finchaser, the Old Farts Fishing Club, Surfwalker, Clamchucker, and a lot of the older, vereran anglers....how many times should they go out at night before getting a fish? They should be catching fish hand over fist, shouldn't they?

Well, what if they give it their best, and despite these efforts, get blanked?
What do they do? They adjust, or fish when bait is around...but still, they remember when surf fishing at night was about going out, plugging with an offering that matched the forage, and picking up a dozen fish or so...and you could do this in only a few hours of fishing, not a marathon 71 hour run....:kooky:

DarkSkies
01-21-2012, 09:25 PM
The above is a prelude to my latest report below...I felt I had to say these things to let the new guys out there know that it ain't always easy....at times fishing artificials at night can be very frustrating, even for the most skilled among us...

Why is this?
Because, with the exception of the IBSP fall bite, and the Sandy Hook fall bite that unfortunately didn't fully materialize this year..there are many areas of NJ that do NOT hold bass...

Fish those areas, and you don't have a real shot at catching...

How many of you have casted cast after cast, even closing your eyes imagining that will be the key to you feeling the strike you are waiting for...:kooky: saying...Please God, just one fish, and then I can avoid the skunk for the night and go home....

I have....and not in the least bit embarassed to say it....

DarkSkies
01-21-2012, 09:28 PM
I know how to catch fish, when they are there...as stated, the problem is they have not been there for me this season (2011).
Although I had a good season, I have had seasons that were much better.
I've caught over 100 fish at night in the last 3 weeks, and my numbers pale in comparison to those that have spent more time out there....

What does this mean to the new guy?
If you are a new guy, just starting out and learning surfcasting, all most of ya's basically want is to catch one fish on an artificial, just one fish....

I can understand that...but how achievable is it?
Sometimes, not so much....

I want the new guys to understand when they read these reports, that fishing is a lot about preparation, practice, learning to read the signs and clues, and getting out there and putting the time in...if you do this, and keep meticulous logs, you will do better than some fishermen who only follow internet reports.. or feel the only way to get better is to go to a seminar given by an "expert"..... while 10 years ago some of these "experts" weren't even catching bass regularly....:kooky:...

DarkSkies
01-21-2012, 09:32 PM
I hope you are enjoying these reports here, new folks and older experienced fishermen alike.
Just remember, if you read a report and it seems unbelievable to you....ask yourself if it is possible, do the conditions at the time warrant that type of success...
And in many cases, they don't...http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png

but for the last 7 weeks some surf pluggers in NJ have been experiencing unprecedented success because of an abundance of bait, and higher than normal water temps.....the night bite, traditionally dead this time of year, has been exceptionally rewarding for those of us willing to put in the time, study the patterns, fish the hell out of it when the times are right, and we, honestly, are having a blast! :plastered: :wheeeee: :lookhappy: :bigeyes: :headbang:

DarkSkies
01-21-2012, 09:34 PM
We are catching fish that normally aren't there, and the action, for those of us who have fished these areas countless times with no results, is one for the record books. Now that it's winding down, and may be over from the storm. I feel more comfortable talking about it here....

For the new guys, there are a lot of clues in this thread, if you can read between the lines... I really don't want to promote it more than that because there are real dangers fishing in this weather and water temps...I have in several threads tried to make people aware of them...and want that to be paramount in your minds before you make a decision to fish at night....

**The best bet, overall, is currently the 2 hour window at the end of day, 4-6pm, where you stand a good chance of catching a bass, or a few, on plugs....
The current storm might kill that, might not, but you won't learn that from internet reports.. you will best learn if your go out and try yourselves, and analyze your mistakes if you don't succeed, until you finally do...

Try to understand the posts here, pay attention to the details and why we use certain plugs at certain times, and you will most certainly improve your chances., all without having attended a fancy seminar....remember folks the info is here at your fingertips...all ya have to do is want it bad enough to search for it.....:learn:

Some of the info our members are sharing here is golden, and it's up to you to recognize that....http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.png

Hope this was helpful to the new guys out there....:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
01-21-2012, 10:59 PM
Last night was one for the record books.
Fished 6 hours, managed 22 bass. (Vpass Quick! how many bass/hour does that work out to? :HappyWave:)
5 of them keepers to 30".
4 released, kept 1 for the table.

What was significant was the level of activity and the Aggressiveness! :headbang: I read some other reports where people didn't mention this. They said the bass hit sluggishly...I guess we were fishing in different areas then. ;)

I know these bass, I know this bite...and the hits have been extremely sluggish as of late. All that changed last night. As Finchaser has said so many times, the bass before a major storm put on the feed bag and instinctively know it's time to feed aggressively.

I had some family issues and got a late start. Didn't get out there till 2 hours into the ebb. Wondered what levels of activity I missed. Didn't matter, within 5 minutes I was into fish. These fish hit like that plug was the last meal they would ever have.

I was grinning more than a guy who had been given an exclusive contract to massage the Dallas Cowgirl Cheerleaders at an all inclusive resort...:pig:

Although aggressive, I would describe the first 2 hours as a steady pick..you still had to work for the fish...but it was comforting to know that every few minutes you would get one... that 2 hours was the hottest action of the night. I managed 12 bass during that time and 7 bass during the next 2 hours.

There were some periods of inactivity...I decided to experiment away from the usual "slow crawl" retrieve and stepped up the speed about 50% faster to moderate retrieve. That seemed to be the ticket to where I was and brought steady action for 4 hours. A good Surfcaster learns to recognize any patterns that are different that night, and exploit them to get the maximum amount of fish, or instead target the bigger fish using realtime analysis and info.

The action was what got me hot..really hyped up and poised like a tiger ready to strike with each hit...there was one point where I was cackling louder than a Redneck who just sold a truckload of moonshine...if you heard some lunatic laughing insanely out there in the dead of night you were in the right place....:laugh:

Took a few pics but not as many as usual as opening and closing the PFD each time to get to the camera is becoming a PITA, and at times dangerous.

Also lost time during which I could have increased the numbers...lost 10 minutes when I decided to keep a fish and figure out where to put it...

and another half hour....When I saw how aggressive the fish were I shifted grears trying for some bigger fish..15 mins on a bottle plug, 15 mins on Killie's Saigon Slammer, a Gary2 replica.... no action at all on those plugs.

So realistically, I lost at least 40 minutes of prime fishing time...and in my head I know some of ya's will be mad or jealous of this statement, but based on that level of activity, I could have had well over 30 fish, C&R if I continued with the smaller swimmers I was using and released all fish.

The Finchaser 7'3" rod was a big assist in this, helping me to get the fish in ASAP, lifting them, dehooking with the Stainless T-handle de-hooker Fin got for me (thanks again Fin!), and back quickly in the water in healthy shape...

The initial bite was so good I only moved once in 4 hours, not even stopping to take a leak (that's a feat in itself as you get older....:o)

The bite slowed greatly at the end of the ebb.

I took a 2 hour break, eating and making some incoherent phone calls, and waiting for the tide to get better...the ones who got them.... hey I tried, but it seems the window I wanted ya's to get down and fish closed at 4am instead of 7am like I predicted....:don't know why:

Caught fish on both tides, though top of the ebb was definitely more productive. After 4 hours I had 19 fish...it took 2 hours to get the other 3 fish as I fished, mid-tide on the flood. until at 4am it became too rough as the building SE swell, snow, and E/NE winds made it unfishable and I went home.

The thing is.....the night up until that time was perfect conditions.... I saw another report where the guy complained about the N wind...where I was, open area, the winds were 0-2mph until 3:30 AM,,,THIS WAS A TRUE GIFT! ...How many other nights do we have in Jan where we can fish in 33 degree weather with winds under 5mph? :drool:

True, the fish are smaller..... the 15-30# fish may be gone for good..... but a 22 fish night, with 5 keepers thrown in....near the end of January????..I'll take that action any night of the week!

Fat belly!

For the log....
Temps start-finish -- 33-28
Wind - light w/NW 0-2mph
Water temps - 45deg
Bass: 22 to 30" and about 11#
Plugs, the ones you see pictured worked, bottle plug and metal lips got no action....and the Daiwa SM got me 2 fish on the flood tide, but had to stop fishing them because the water got rough and a bigger swimmer was needed..

As mentioned, the Daiwa is a good plug and one of my favorites. However, there are times when other plugs get the job dne better. A good surfcaster needs to learn to recognize these subtle differences.

vpass
01-21-2012, 11:52 PM
The action was what got me hot..really hyped up and poised like a tiger ready to strike with each hit...there was one point where I was cackling louder than a Redneck who just sold a truckload of moonshine...if you heard some lunatic laughing insanely out there in the dead of night you were in the right place....

DS, I know what you mean about the lunatic laughing. That really happen when your having a great time. I'm glad you took full advantage of the unusual January run. Hope there is a few more days for you. As with my work load I might have to wait to the spring run to fish again. :( as usual I look foward to your posts makes me feel like I was there, Thanks :thumbsup::thumbsup:

(Vpass Quick! how many bass/hour does that work out to? )
5 of them keepers to 30".

3.6 bass/ hour. That's awesome!!!

Monty
01-22-2012, 07:48 AM
DS, I know what you mean about the lunatic laughing. That really happen when your having a great time. I'm glad you took full advantage of the unusual January run. Hope there is a few more days for you. As with my work load I might have to wait to the spring run to fish again.:-( as usual I look foward to your posts makes me feel like I was there, Thanks :thumbsup::thumbsup:

3.6 bass/ hour. That's awesome!!!

Vpass, I have been like you, work and stuff in the way of fishing (for me since mid December), but that's the way its is sometimes.
Dark's reports have been great, its going to be a bummer when they end, they really have been great to read and see his pics (Thanks Dark!).
Anything over 3 per hour could get dangerous, adrenalin could reach dangerous levels, be careful out there Dark!!:HappyWave::HappyWave::thumbsup::thumbsup:

DarkSkies
01-23-2012, 09:49 PM
Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed the report...I realize there are some I haven't responded to, I'll try soon...

But for now thought ya's would like some entertainment from West Wind Ralph...he ain't too happy that I caught 22 bass...:kooky: :argue: :laugh: :fishing:

Remember that the PARENTAL ADVISORY is still in effect for these videos, as it seems they are getting darker and darker....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfSXgVO5INk

jonthepain
01-24-2012, 12:25 PM
hey ralph

22 a night an issue? pffft. we used to plug up 22 an hour back in the 80s

i'll say hey to wally for ya...rofl

see ya
jc

finchaser
01-24-2012, 01:50 PM
Yep most people will never live to experience how it was back in the day.

Dark has once again proved he is not firing on all cylinders by playing with yet another puppet in the Dark,plus he posts it in 2 different threads. There is no question Darkskies is the Googan of all Googans. It is a scary thought to try and imagine a person who could dethrone him. He will always be remembered as the master-baiter with the black bag of bluefish toting his Googan bucket which he still posseses.

Amen

cowherder
01-24-2012, 07:09 PM
Haha Dark that was one of your sickest ones yet!:clapping::clapping::clapping: I think you are better at making fun of yourself and with no embarrassment than almost anyone I have ever encountered. Thanks and Finchaser I agree with you I don't think anyone could dethrone him, lol!
I had off today and fished nomoco. Got 13 bass, on metal Ava 17 with a green tail. Biggest was 27", these fish were feisty and hitting that Ava good! WooHoo!:wheeeee:

Finchaser when are you going to be able to fish again? These fish seem like they will never leave. I know you probably know about the fish but you should get out there if you can because as the guys are saying who knows when it will be over? You have helped me allot so if I can help you in any way I would be honored.

vpass
01-24-2012, 07:22 PM
Yep most people will never live to experience how it was back in the day.

Dark has once again proved he is not firing on all cylinders by playing with yet another puppet in the Dark,plus he posts it in 2 different threads. There is no question Darkskies is the Googan of all Googans. It is a scary thought to try and imagine a person who could dethrone him. He will always be remembered as the master-baiter with the black bag of bluefish toting his Googan bucket which he still posseses.

Amen

What a pisser. Your right Fin, I don't think that anyone could dethrone Dark. And if there is anyone that is able to it would be :scared:.:ROFLMAO:ROFLMAO:ROFLMAO

Cowherder, Nice going on the bass and taking advantage of todays nice weather. Nice to know the bass are still around, maybe this weekend.:drool:

hookset
01-24-2012, 07:22 PM
15 stripers to 26" today, some on rubber vision eels, others on plugs, bombers and daiwa and such. Nomoco. Goooooood fishing! Love the wally vid ds, keep em coming.

finchaser
01-24-2012, 07:33 PM
Cowherder thanks glad I helped you. I should be good to go by the last week in February ot the 1st week in March and look forward to meeting you.

jigfreak
01-25-2012, 06:23 AM
7 bass to 30" in the dark. Needlefish.

surfwalker
01-25-2012, 06:29 AM
Again, gotta say I'm enjoying you guys picking up these Bass, thanks for the reports, keep it up.

Happy Trails

Monty
01-25-2012, 07:18 AM
Cowherder thanks glad I helped you. I should be good to go by the last week in February ot the 1st week in March and look forward to meeting you.
That's great to hear.
Awesome that you are getting better.

DarkSkies
01-26-2012, 03:45 PM
Got out there later than I planned, but was able to fish the last 4 hours of the ebb...and the first 2 of the flood.

The swell fom the previous storm was still a problem. There was a 5 wave set, duration 2-3 secs, mid-period swell, where it was unfishable. You had to wait for that to pass, and cast like mad till it came back again.

Managed 9 bass to 34", 15+ lbs. The 15 wasn't weighed, quick pic, measurement, and back she went. Let me describe this fish for you...she was 21 1/2" in circumference, round and fat like a tuna. Bulging belly, looked bursting at the seams with whatever she was feeding on. :bigeyes: (Could have been as heavy as 17#, but we'll say she was 15.....)

Kept one of the smaller keepers. 29 1/2", around 11#, freakishly fat as well. The other fish varied in body shape and style...as I've mentioned before, I feel these are Chesapeake and Hudson fish mixed together, based on the different body styles, tail and head shapes.

Bigger fish hit rubber.
I think Vpass gave me what I was using...Thanks Bro!!
Smaller fish hit small swimmers with rattles, but not the Daiwa SM, as it was too rough to work that.

As mentioned, it took 6 hours to catch 9 fish. Had to work for every fish I landed.

I'm used to moving around to find fish, as the heaviest feeding locations change from night to night...
This night was especially challenging as I hit 3 locations with no action at all. It was only when I was getting ready to leave location #4 when I got the 15....a half hour of casting after I caught her produced no action, so I was forced to leave for locations 5 and 6, where I caught the rest of the fish in a slow pick...

It was nowhere near the level of activity before the storm. Although the water seemed a bit warmer, the fish were very sluggish. The only slightly aggressive hits came on the rubber. and I missed quite a few of those hits.

Down the Hatch!

Big head

Fat belly...In the following 2 pics I attempted to show how fat her belly was. The pics really don't do it justice, as her belly was freaking bulging....:eek:

Belly bulge.... this might have been the 29 1/2" fish, not sure....

For the New Guys...
A good surfcaster has to know when to move, and when to mix it up to produce results. The places that worked for me on prior visiits were not producing. The plugs that were catching got no action at all. Thinking about the sandeels that were around, caused me to consider rubber....and within 10 casts I had that first fish....but after that I had to fish hard for every fish or strike. There was no pattern to speak of....just countless blind casting....and that's what you have to do when the fish are scattered like that.

For the log....
9 Fish to 34" and 15#
Released the biggest, kept 1 at 29 1/2" for the table.
Wind - 0-2mph W/NW
Temp - 45-40
Moon - new, 2nd night

finchaser
01-26-2012, 04:10 PM
I can attest to some of the numbers as a friend of mine for over 35 years had 36 fish to 18# all on plugs. He fished between 3:30Pm and 7PM on the 24th.
In the past month he has had over 200 fish in the Monmouth county area . Most shops are closed not a lot of people fishing and this has been kept very quiet.

DarkSkies
01-26-2012, 04:18 PM
Last night was the first night in a while where I almost knew within 15 minutes things would be futile....

Ran into a friend at the first stop...
I usually prefer to fish alone. I was real tired from the previous night and a full day of work,,,only 2 hours sleep, and my azz was dragging...

You make stupid and deadly mistakes when you're tired and out alone like that....so when I saw him out there in the darkness, I was glad. :thumbsup:

We fished together...first place, previously productive the night before, was completely dead. After 15 mins we moved to another location.

That place proved dead as well, as we worked everything that made sense, probing all levels of the water column.

Even bucktails or small shad dragged across the bottom (this is the premier cold water presentation) produced nothing.

Our third stop produced nothing for me, and he said he had one tap.

Think about this...
2 surfcasters can cover more ground than one....
We were able to cover every inch of the areas we were fishing..at that rate at least one of us should have produced a small schoolie.....but we couldn't even manage that....

He went on to fish till daybreak. I had to get home for work today...
I will give it a few more tries, maybe I will be surprised one night...:cool:

But the lack of any activity at all last night is a real issue for me...the conditions were perfect, except it was possibly too calm..and there weren't even any stray fish for us....http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png

The fat lady may be tuning up.....
If so, it's been a great run, some of the most exciting Winter plugging in years...:drool:
And probably never to be repeated to this extent, in the future...

Stay tuned....

"Waiting for the End" - Linkin Park
This song was in my head today...
I know it's about letting go of a relationship, but some of the phrases can apply to saying goodbye to the fishing....and it's gonna be sad......http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png :kooky: :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qF_qbaWt3Q

jigfreak
01-27-2012, 07:32 AM
Sorry but I have to call BS on the numbers here. There is not one other NJ internet site where they are reporting the numbers that you guys are.:huh: :kooky:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon13.pngAnd you know this because you are out there putting your time in, or are you able to tell by sitting your lazy pie-hole in front of the computer and knowing it all?
Aren't you that guy who only fishes in bunker blitzes? What an *******.:2flip:

The fat lady may be tuning up.....
If so, it's been a great run, some of the most exciting Winter plugging in years...:drool:
And probably never to be repeated to this extent, in the future...

I think it might be time to call it, ds.
I fished the last 2 nights. Last night was tough with the swell. only spent a little while out there. Nothing but the:skunk:

DarkSkies
01-27-2012, 06:39 PM
I was out last night (Thur) for a little bit.
Couldn't stay away.... It was a SE swell and unfishable in most areas... yet this bite has been so unpredictable it's hard to tell when the fish will feed.

The wind was 5-10mph SE, and it was a balmy 45 degrees out....
The SE swell conditions severely limited my choices....

First stop,, the swell was too intense. There was no mid-period swell, it was constant rollers, 3', duration every 4 secs...not fishable at all. Therefore I couldn't fish there.

Then moved to 1 place where I could tuck in a bit and hide from the waves...the water where I was was a little bit calmer and more fishable, very clear water. Fished for a total of 1 1/2 hours. No action at all. Since I was limited in places where I could fish, I knew it was time to go home.

This is not looking good, people.
Some people are drooling about the upcoming mild weather :drool:
Just remember, good weather doesn't equate to fish...if they show up, it's because of the food, and if the food choices are winding down in volume, the weather will have no effect on whether you catch,. other than making it more comfortable for you....the fish are already wet...they don't care about the weather as long as the water is 45 degrees or above...:learn:

storminsteve
01-28-2012, 04:41 PM
Dark, hope you're not giving up yet, come on out with the loonies!:HappyWave: The conditions this morning weren't that bad, picked up 7 bass to 26" on sinking needlefish and schoolbus bomber.

hookset
01-28-2012, 06:17 PM
Attaboy Steve! Nice!

albiealert
01-28-2012, 07:51 PM
Wow can't believe you guys are still catching fish! Am enjoying these reports, keep it up!

jigfreak
01-28-2012, 10:46 PM
Got a mess of em tonight, 14 to 17#. Some real tiny runts in with the fat boys. Looks like they're gearing up with one massive meal. All on rubber biscuits. Dark hope you're out there, half the surfcasting world is. Catch em up brother.

xtreme_visions
01-29-2012, 04:16 AM
:fishing: 4 tonight for me! all shorts but **** i have only caught 2 the entire year i have fished saltwater. and i got out there several times a week for months at 1st. they were hitting hard :headbang: tried a few spots.

jonthepain
01-29-2012, 09:18 AM
boats are ok (i just sold mine last fall,) kayaks are a lot of fun (i've got 3,) but surf fishing is the ultimate.

there is just something about it.

mick2360
01-29-2012, 04:32 PM
Just for the record, I hear things are STILL dead in Montauk.....:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
01-29-2012, 09:46 PM
:fishing: 4 tonight for me! all shorts but **** i have only caught 2 the entire year i have fished saltwater. and i got out there several times a week for months at 1st. they were hitting hard :headbang: tried a few spots.

:clapping: :thumbsup:WTG, bro...proud of ya!.....keep at it and try to keep putting that time in....we still have a shot at some bigger fish....

Jigfreak, outstanding numbers...:clapping: and for the rest of ya's, great effort. :thumbsup:

Mick, ya spent $1500 on all those trips to Montauk. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png
You gave a tremendous shot in the arm to the Montauk economy...
Last year ya guilted me into a Block Cod trip...
(Even though ya guilted me into it, I had a blast and am grateful.....):fishing:

So WHY can't I guilt ya into coming down here for some fishin in Jersey Montauk Style??...:drool:
Don't you owe it to yourself to get in on the action too?
There's still time to get into these fish....guys are dismissing the bite as a "schoolie bite"...you saw the pics I sent ya...call me! :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
01-29-2012, 10:06 PM
Fished the last 5 hours of the ebb, first of the flood...
There were some nice fish caught until around 7pm....knowing that, I really wasn't looking forward to any crowds I might find on a Sat night...so I procrastinated and made sure I got down there after 12am....

There was no one around, they were all gone by then...

I knew it could be tough, but I didn't care, would rather struggle looking for fish (that could be comatose in those night water temps) than stand next to 15 guys like it was opening day of trout season.....http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon13.png

The night bite was real tough, some GROUCHY BASSTARDS would say it's not worth it.

I had to move 5 times till I found bass at the 6th stop...but I did manage 3 bass on rubber, a black bomber, and a Daiwa SM. There were some other hits on rubber, but in that cold water (44 degrees) the fish were basically comatose....you had to hit them right on the head to get any response at all...

First light and sunrise was much better...managed 7 more on rubber for a total of 10 to 29".... There was a flurry of activity for about an hour, died when the sun pushed up from the horizon....

Got mugged by a guy at 5:30am. The thing was, he asked politely if he could come up and cast on my right...that's exactly the same thing I do when I'm out there....and it works like a charm...because 95% of the guys fishin out there wouldn't even think of offering that common courtesy....:beatin:

I found out he's friends with a site-member here....we became fast friends as he gave me his opinion of the internet http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon13.png, fishing with 500 other guys at the "Epic" Island beach metal bite http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon13.png, internet fishermen, http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon13.png, and guys who dismiss this bite as "not worth it because it's only a bunch of schoolies"..:2flip:.. We caught fish in sync until the bite died.

I agreed with him completely, and his numbers prove his dedication....mid 400's, to 24 1/2#, since Nov 25, without once having driven to IBSP. :bigeyes:

Like Extreme said, the fish are much more aggressive in the day and the end of the day...the 29" one I took these pics of jumped out of the water like a frikkin bluefish when I set the hook....:drool:

Kept that one for the table, no fish for the C&R thread this time...

My new friend. getting double digits most times out...said: "I'll take this action any night or day of the week!"
I couldn't agree with him more....

**Just to be clear, catching double digits ain't that easy and requires a lot of work and determination in the cold weather...but to me and a few other guys it's apparently worth it...

Nice meetin ya! :HappyWave:

For the log, and the new guys:
Air temps start-finish: 45-35
Water temps 44
Wind: SW at first, shifting to a steady W 10-15mph

What worked: different things work for me at different times. Last night I had to cycle through almost every profile I had to achieve success, getting fish on a black bomber, Daiwa SM, and a rubber eel. Gradually I realized that it was not about what I was throwing, it was about hitting those sluggish fish right on the head. The rubber did produce the most action and the most missed hits, as it most closely fit the profile of the sand eels that are now abundant.

It's more about how you fish it, than what you fish, though...and as usual when it's difficult to catch numbers of fish, presentation is the key to the puzzle.....The guiy I met did quite well on a beat up, crappy looking bomber he was using....IMO right now anything that mimics a sandeel or a crab will cause the fish to strike, when you find them, and if you present to them the right way.

Fish caught:
10 to 29", brought the 29" home for the table.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/misc/pencil.png

xtreme_visions
01-29-2012, 11:55 PM
thanks dark..i owe it all to u for getting me into fishing plugs instead of using bait and standing around with my **** in my hand catching the big :skunk:

the down side to the night was the bulb in my brand new headlamp blew out after 5min of use so i had to run to the car and grab a flashlight which was not fun to use. will b prepared with extra bulbs next time incase that happens again.

hope the fish hang around for atleast another week :fishing:

finchaser
01-30-2012, 08:28 AM
always carry an extra light in your bag it could save your life getting off a jetty in the dark

xtreme_visions
01-30-2012, 11:40 AM
always carry an extra light in your bag it could save your life getting off a jetty in the dark

i hear that! getting off that jetty was no fun without a light. good thing was i fished a jetty with no holes inbetween the rocks that i could fall in so other then tripping a few times it wasnt so bad.

clamchucker
01-30-2012, 12:54 PM
Darkskies it sounds like you are having the time of your life. I used to fish on the rocks and inlets and had some real nice fish from those times. Unfortunately those trips are too many years ago as that has been too dangerous for me to attempt any more. Enjoy it while you can and thank you for the colorful reports and your advice helping the new guy. xtremevisions good job on your bass on plugs. There is nothing wrong with catching fish on bait. However, catching on plugs is more of a challenge and will cause you to expand your horizons. Congratulations the folks out there still catching. I am very much enjoying these reports.

xtreme_visions
01-30-2012, 11:56 PM
thanks clam. baits cool and all but boring :boring:

got a chance to head out today after work for a few hrs. tide was very low, water was very still. managed a short the 1st 30min there. lost another 1 shortly after to a pesky rock.... along with my black/purple bomber that i told myself i was gonna save because i got my 1st striper on a plug with it. :burn:

I would like to thank dark for meeting up with me tonight and giving me some great advice and a few things to play with :HappyWave:

:fishing:

DarkSkies
01-31-2012, 12:08 AM
^ You're welcome, Xtreme...:thumbsup: Ya can't get too attached to plugs out there at night, bro, because eventually you'll donate them to King Neptune...;)

That's why fishin cheaper plugs is the best strategy...:learn:

Like Xtreme said, the water was low at the end of the day. Fished 2 spots before I ran into him, no action. We fished an additional 2 spots with 1 bass for him, only one bump on a rubber eel for me.
Even at mid tide, it took forever for the water to come in...

I had thoughts that after the sun today the fish would be more active... they weren't. :don't know why:
At 44 degrees, the water temps are about 1 degree from the fish shutting off completely...hopefully the next few sunny days turn things around...

The good thing about it is... it cuts down on the participation...people hear how they crushed them a few days ago, come down to the ocean, give it a shot for an hour, see it ain't so easy or consistent,. and decide they've had enough of Wiinter bass fishing...so hopefully the next time the activity ramps up there won't be crowds of people there...

I'm not done yet...Till next time....:fishing:

finchaser
01-31-2012, 07:55 AM
Hey grass hoppers what did you expect heavy westerly winds cause blow out tides and hold water offshore, out going is cold water only warmer water will be on the incoming. This time of year you need a better plan than the sun is out I'm going fishing.
No ones says you can't fish right through spring, you will have no crowds,only the catching part will su_k.

jigfreak
01-31-2012, 07:57 AM
:skunk:Same results for me too last night, guys. Not a touch. Like you said, low water and slow moving tide didn't help any either.

DarkSkies
01-31-2012, 08:11 AM
out going is cold water only warmer water will be on the incoming. This time of year you need a better plan than the sun is out I'm going fishing.
No ones says you can't fish right through spring, you will have no crowds,only the catching part will su_k.

Thanks for the words of wisdom ya Grouch! :moon:

We did fish the incoming. first 3 hours, had some water where we were but it was like Lake Atlantic out there. There should have been a few fish, even some runts, as opposed to the dead water....I really feel the temps are finally trending dangerously close to shut the Horn of Plenty off. That could turn around with a few sunny days, as the bait and fish are in sync right now. IMO it could go either way as the fish are still "stuck in time" and could be released from that loop any day.

Even though you preach against that evil white water...:scared:...last night there was none at all to knock food around, and we could have used just a bit of it....

**Or,,,,as the Raritan Bay and NY Bight have gone up 10 degrees in the last 10 days, that could have been enough of a bump to send some of these fish back into the channels and the lower Hudson where they normally belong...

Lately, each time out, although double digit catches are possible, we are seeing less and less fish...

I'm still not sure about that, but wanted to state it here first as part of the pattern you, the other old timers, and I have been discussing privately the last 2 months...before some outdoor writer decides to write an article saying he "discovered" this abnormal pattern....:HappyWave:

finchaser
01-31-2012, 09:26 AM
Sun means really nothing if the air temp doesn't stay above the water temp especially at night when clear skies create radiational cooling of the water sometimes seen as as what is referred to as sea smoke on windless nights. Combined with strong winds which have a natural cooling effect,very similar to wind chill. The last 2 hours of the incoming and first 2 of the outgoing usually produces the warmest water temperatures. Fishing the beginning of the incoming this time of year usually drops the water temperature from the water rushing up on the cold beach and rocks which are sometimes frozen pushing bait and fish off the beach.

IMO this abnormal pattern has to do with the dredging kind of a natural chum slick combined with above normal water temperatures is what is responsible for holding the bait and fish in that one area.:HappyWave:

xtreme_visions
01-31-2012, 11:10 PM
:skunk: :burn::banghead2::mad: like they say "always go with your gut feeling" i told myself all day at work i was not going out tonight but i did :kooky:. hit 2 diff spots with no luck. used bombers and tried some rubber dark gave me last night.

tomorrow is another day :2flip:

DarkSkies
02-01-2012, 08:58 AM
^^ Someone has to give ya some tips on fishing rubber, Bro..:fishing:

I tried over the phone last night but was a little pre-occupied...:)

..if ya ask nicely, I hear Finchaser might be amenable to coffee and some snacks,,,and a cheeseburger or 2....make it a top priority before the window closes....

Praise the Lord and pass the rubber...that's all for now.. I'll try to post some more details around 11pm tonight.....:cool:

finchaser
02-01-2012, 10:09 PM
:don't know why:from master-baiter to condom fisherman and he advertises it:huh:^^^^^^

jigfreak
02-02-2012, 06:49 AM
^^^^^^Maybe he has a rubber fetish.:ROFLMAO
He can't get away from the masterbaiter title thats for sure.;)
Fished last night, picked up 4 to 26". They are not as concentrated as they used to be, but still around. Rubber biscuits did it again.

finchaser
02-02-2012, 08:50 AM
:ROFLMAO
^^^^^^Maybe he has a rubber fetish.:ROFLMAO
He can't get away from the masterbaiter title thats for sure.;)

Yeah now that you mention a rubber fetish lets not forget West Wind Wally and Ralph:ROFLMAO:HappyWave:

cowherder
02-02-2012, 05:49 PM
:ROFLMAO

Yeah now that you mention a rubber fetish lets not forget West Wind Wally and Ralph:ROFLMAO:HappyWave:

Maybe dark in his private life is one of those freaky dudes like in pulp fiction!:scared:
(Just kidding dark!:HappyWave:)
I think it's awesome that you guys are catching bass in February! Im will try to get out sometime this weekend. Save some for me!

DarkSkies
02-03-2012, 11:07 AM
^^ You guys have waaaaaay too much time on your hands, imagining me dressed in rubber.....don't I smell bad enough as it is? :laugh: :moon:

DarkSkies
02-03-2012, 01:05 PM

I knew it could be tough, but I didn't care, would rather struggle looking for fish (that could be comatose in those night water temps) than stand next to 15 guys like it was opening day of trout season.....http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon13.png

The night bite was real tough, some GROUCHY BASSTARDS would say it's not worth it.

The bite continues to get tougher....

Had to make it down to a shore area tackle shop to get some more rubber, so I tried to look for a place to fish for the sunset bite....
It was tough --What had been a nice sunny day suddenly turned to crap as the S/SE wind kicked up with the afternoon tide change. Things went downhill quickly in terms of available areas to fish.

First stop had been a great producer of fish for a few days in a row...
As soon as I got there I knew it wouldn't work. Proper presentation was almost impossible in the big swell and waves...there were no sets of waves, it was a constant SE swell with duration of 3 secs, virtually impossible to fish.

I thought about where I could fish that would protect me from that a bit, and set out to that location. I arrived in the dark at the end of the ebb....

I started catching fish on rubber almost immediately,,,,had 3 short bass landed within the first 10 minutes...:wheeeee:

Kept at it for the next 1 1/2 hours for a total of 7 bass to 27".
The water was cold, SE didn't help it any...but they were slamming the rubber like it was their last meal.....:drool:

There aren't too many times when the fish are that aggressive...I always tell people when you have action like that, you should fish it out till it dies...You never know if it will repeat itself tomorrow,,,,and so far, 2 days later, it hasn't. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png

For the log, and the new guys...
Water temps - 44
Air temps beginning- end: 65-48
Surf, SE swell with constant 3' waves, 3 sec duration...some of the absolute worst conditions for presenting correctly....

Fish - 7 bass to 27"
(I know some people will get mad at the next sentence,. but I'm so confident it could have been a good night, I'm kind of mad at myself for leaving.,...at the rate I was going, double digits were easily within my grasp, with bigger fish at the end of that lottery)...
Family committments forced me to leave...
Hey that's the way it is sometimes...but I still regret leaving that bite....http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon11.png

Bait - the forage mix has shifted, now it's sandeels, mackerel, and herring. This shift has caused the fish to be more scattered. There is no real strong pattern to this bite, other than some subtle ones a few guys and I have discovered....the key to success is determination, stamina, and the ability to keep presenting, over and over again....:fishing:

DarkSkies
02-03-2012, 01:57 PM
Thu AM....

After Tuesday's great action I was eager to get down there again while things lasted.
Overslept, missed the tide I wanted....I knew going down there I would have limited opportunity as it was almost sunrise....I decided to make the run anyway....

I arrived, grey skies and rough water, colder, still churned up...
The sun didnt really show itself, that was good...
but where I was the fish didn't show (for me) either.
Hey, that's fishing....:don't know why: :fishing:

For the log: water temps 44, air 48, breezy from the NW :skunk:

Thu PM, Fri AM....

Fished 4 hours in the dark...2 short fish on swimmers.
Missed a quality fish on a big swimmer. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon8.png
Went to sleep in the car,,,,wearing my stinkin clothes and gear...is it any wonder I and the car smell so bad?? :laugh:
Got up to fish one hour of the pre-sunrise bite, managed one short bass on rubber....
Water had been cloudy the previous night from the NW, was now starting to clean up a bit....

For the log:
Water temps 43....I think these are some of the coldest temps I've ever gotten a bass on artificials.

Fish: 3 fish total to 25".

Air temps- 45-35
Winds- Steady 15mph made it a little uncomfortable to fish all those hours...had to take a few breaks to thaw my fingers....I've fished nights as low as 23 degrees so far, but with no wind...this night was one of the more painful ones to endure with those constant winds....

It would have been more bearable if there was more fish action, but as mentioned, with no real forage to concentrate the fish, they are random...if you want em you have to work hard...:learn:

A friend of mine was out there for the end of day bite which never developed for him...he went to a popular area, which was like a ghost town...he said, "Rich if this place was so hot what happened to all the fishermen that were coming here and posting on the internet?"
My answer....that's what internet fishermen do...they stay home till guys report they are crushing them, then come out in droves.....meanwhile the fish don't know if the air is cold or not...it's all about the water temps....

As Fin, I, and some others have pointed out, below 43 the fish will be there, but (usually) shut down for the artificial bite....and we're at that critical junction.....IMO it could go either way...but I'm not ready to give up, just yet....;) :fishing:

baitstealer
02-03-2012, 02:24 PM
:clapping::clapping:Wow dark skies you are a fishing machine! That's 10 bass and february just started! Thank you so much for these reports. I am really enjoying them.

DarkSkies
02-03-2012, 07:27 PM
Thank you Baitstealer,. but I want to clarify any fish out there now require lots of work and effort....
(Still worth it to me....)

And the report for the 7 fish was the last day of Jan, so for the month of Feb I'm only up by 3 so far....:cool: :fishing:

Glad ya enoyed reading. I have been getting some nice PMs and E-mails as well. Look forward to bringing these reports to you guys as long as my fingers can stand the cold,,,:HappyWave:

xtreme_visions
02-03-2012, 08:02 PM
Im ready for war this weekend dark! :kooky::viking: plan to hit a few spots sat afternoon/night and sun morning. Heres a photo to show you the size of those crap fish ive been catching. But atleast im catching finally! :dribble:

storminsteve
02-03-2012, 08:06 PM
Dark, the reports are great, it's obvious you are a madman. :headbang:Will you be barking at the full moon next week?
I hit it tonight from 5-7:30.I was one of 2 guys when I got out there. 1/2 hour later there were 12 other guys lined up like opening day of trout season. None of us caught a thing. Moved to another spot and still caught nothing. I used bombers and the daiwa. Dark would you mind PMing me about your swimmers and the rubber you were using? Thanks and good luck out there. :HappyWave:
Nice fish extreme, any fish in January or February is nice.

xtreme_visions
02-03-2012, 08:08 PM
Oh boy! 12 guys! :kicknuts: i might wait until the games on to fish now

finchaser
02-03-2012, 10:27 PM
:clapping::clapping:Wow dark skies you are a fishing machine! That's 10 bass and february just started! Thank you so much for these reports. I am really enjoying them.

21 hours 3 nights in the cold for 10 shorts:ROFLMAOgoogan ego trip

DarkSkies
02-04-2012, 08:45 AM
There were some nice fish caught until around 7pm....knowing that, I really wasn't looking forward to any crowds I might find on a Sat night...so I procrastinated and made sure I got down there after 12am....

21 hours 3 nights in the cold for 10 shorts:ROFLMAOgoogan ego trip

Man, you are such a grouchy basstard! :scared: :clapping:
The fish weren't too small to prompt your friend to make a trip to areas he usually doesn't fish, the other morning, was it? :kiss:

And you know, these small fish, aren't the ones we're targeting...because we've talked about it....:moon:

I am sorry, ya know if you were 20 years younger I would be at your house every night, howling at the moon till ya came out fishing...I really miss fishing with ya.....but ouch! please don't dismiss the action as not worth it.....as quoted above, one of the reasons I'm out there at night is to get away from the crowds,....I know you can understand that, and you clearly know the other reason....:cool:

Love ya anyway, ya basstid! :HappyWave::fishing:
We'll be fishin in March, no matter what happens in your life.,...you won't be able to get rid of me till ya come out at least once and show these young punks just how fast a pro like you can accumulate double digits..:thumbsup:

See ya then....

finchaser
02-04-2012, 09:23 AM
Glad you ^^^^caught fish. If I were 30 years younger I would not spend a whole night in 25 degree weather to catch 3 shorts. You make fun at us old timers most of which can put up the numbers fishing patterns in a matter of hours. Learn to fish smart not long. Guy's as in my friends are still catching more from 3:30 to 6:30 and eating a hot meal, showering and sleeping in a warm bed. The bigger fish are gone there are very few teens around granted and will be less now that the water is so cold. Your going to burn yourself out on 15" to 20" fish:beatin: for a possible look at me INTERNET report I caught a keeper .:HappyWave:Also give up with the pictures your sending these poor little fish into shock while you play Walt Disney. It would be a scary:scared: thought but it would be like me pulling you out of your house naked throwing you on a frozen rocks, having you lie there as I took off gloves and fiddle around to get my out camera to take your picture. We all know what a short bass looks like. Want to impress people and prove your theory of being our all night on your quest for a big fish. Catch one take a picture for proof put it in your black bag and take it home to eat. There now thats GROUCHY.

Monty
02-04-2012, 11:26 AM
It would be a scary:scared: thought but it would be like me pulling you out of your house naked throwing you on a frozen rocks, having you lie there as I took off gloves and fiddle around to get my out camera to take your picture.

:huh:

Now that's crazy talk..........need a different example, this one is not right..... in a few ways

:laugh: :HappyWave:

vpass
02-04-2012, 04:07 PM
:huh:

Now that's crazy talk..........need a different example, this one is not right..... in a few ways

:laugh: :HappyWave:

:scared::upck: Ya that one is not right.:ROFLMAO

hookset
02-04-2012, 06:03 PM
Glad you ^^^^caught fish. If I were 30 years younger I would not spend a whole night in 25 degree weather to catch 3 shorts. There now thats GROUCHY.

Wow! Player hater don't you think thats a little harsh? We have not had much chances to catch bass in January, so why be a hater, finchaser (hey that rhymes!):laugh::HappyWave:

dogfish
02-04-2012, 06:30 PM
Wow! Player hater don't you think thats a little harsh? We :

Forget about the fishing do you really want to see a pic of ds naked on the rocks?
As for the player, don't hate the player hate the game.:ROFLMAO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nr0q28M5nI

skinner
02-04-2012, 07:13 PM
Got a few bass tonight, 4-6:15 pm, bombers. Biggest was 23".

finchaser
02-04-2012, 07:20 PM
Wow! Player hater don't you think thats a little harsh? We have not had much chances to catch bass in January, so why be a hater, finchaser (hey that rhymes!):laugh::HappyWave:

I'm not a hater or harsh at all, if I didn't just have a knee replacement I'd be out there the point is not all night it accomplishes nothing this time of year.I don't want to see him get hurt the morning after that episode he didn't know what day it was .A week ago he was so sleepy he took a nap on the jetty cause he was nauseous and shaking. Except for last 2 years there have been fish in January for the past 10 as it was a ritual for me every New Years day morning to get my first bass of the year.

storminsteve
02-04-2012, 08:17 PM
Gee you sound like his Dad, finchaser. I mean, he's an adult and whatnot, so why worry about him? btw, got 2 bass before sunset tonight, rubber was the ticket, thanks dark! Hope you are out there catching them up!

finchaser
02-04-2012, 09:13 PM
No i'm not his father but i gave his other half my word. Also the old school group I fish with,we always watched out for each other and still do.

jonthepain
02-05-2012, 10:04 AM
A week ago he was so sleepy he took a nap on the jetty cause he was nauseous and shaking.

Not good.

xtreme_visions
02-05-2012, 04:32 PM
2 shorts for me last night between 7-9pm :embarassed: lost another bomber thanks to some guy who snagged my line 3x :kicknuts: good thing i have an ample supply now :2flip:

thanks again fin for the great deal on the plugs and all your advice. greatly appreciated :HappyWave:

finchaser
02-05-2012, 04:45 PM
Way to go extreme^^^^^:clapping::clapping::clapping:

mick2360
02-05-2012, 08:19 PM
Also give up with the pictures your sending these poor little fish into shock while you play Walt Disney. It would be a scary:scared: thought but it would be like me pulling you out of your house naked throwing you on a frozen rocks, having you lie there as I took off gloves and fiddle around to get my out camera to take your picture. We all know what a short bass looks like. Want to impress people and prove your theory of being our all night on your quest for a big fish. Catch one take a picture for proof put it in your black bag and take it home to eat. There now thats GROUCHY.

Brutal, just brutal! :ROFLMAO

DarkSkies
02-06-2012, 12:09 PM
Posting pics of small fish...

Fin, you know I never post pics of small babies like that, except for this thread...but others may not know.,...so with your grouchiness rising to extreme levels... (do ya really want to see pics of me laying on the rocks naked?... :scared: :upck: :kooky:),,,others may not know, and pass judgement unfairly...http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon13.png.

While no explanation is required, I'll post mine anyway.....
A few long-standing site members can't fish lately as they have other obligations....understood. Some of them came to me and suggested I start posting pics of these Winter bass trips, and share with the members here....

**I want people to know that I have taken great pains to "hide" this thread from most of the internet lurkers out there...if I was just concerned with using this thread and the pics to promote the site there would be thousands more than the 3000 views this thread has already amassed....In fact, we hid this thread so well that some of our own members weren't aware of it....and I recently addressed that by posting a link to it on the NJ fishing forums.....

So, with all due respect ya grouchy basstid, these pics are for the members, the guys who can't get out there right now and are living vicariously through these reports...not me....I don't need pics of small fish...there are enough pics here of me releasing 20 and 25# fish, and of you as well, :moon: that my ego doesn't need to be stroked...:rolleyes:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?5854-Catch-and-release-thread

And to those newer members who are sharing their pics with us for the first time, please don't take my comments here personally....you can feel free to post pics of ANY fish at ANY time without criticism....I understand how excited folks get when they start catching bass on artificials....and part of that is recording the catch...so please continue to share, and enjoy.... even if you are catching small fish....

Remember, please, not to keep the fish out of the water too long when you are taking those pics, though, as that will increase the mortality...and if you care about the resource, you want to do your best to have a low mortality rate on the fish that you DO release, even bluefish...etc....

Here are some threads that talk about time out of the water and mortality...some good opinions here...feel free to browse or add to them as you wish...

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?2919-Reviving-fish&highlight=long+fish+water

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?8139-Releasing-short-fish...Are-you-a-Catch-and-Release-or-a-Catch-and-Kill-kind-of-guy&highlight=long+fish+water

Thanks for reading, folks! :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
02-06-2012, 12:36 PM
I don't want to see him get hurt the morning after that episode he didn't know what day it was .A week ago he was so sleepy he took a nap on the jetty cause he was nauseous and shaking..

OGB ya gotta learn to get the story straight, now you're losing your mind too! (along with me!) :moon: :)
I told ya I was tired that night and was so shot I was leaning against a rock while I was casting,.,,,the truth, and because of that, I eventually packed it up and went home...you and the guys in the Stevens Surfsters used to do that all the time....and just maybe the first marriage crashed partly because of it...and you're yelling at me that I fish too much?...when you guys were out for days on end, fishin? :fishing: :kooky:

Brutal, just brutal! :ROFLMAO
What can I say, Mick, he is who he is.....I wouldn't trade it for any other way...:thumbsup:.I've grown accustomed to his daily barking....:laugh: And it wouldn't be the same if he didn't yell at me for something at least once a day....

No i'm not his father but i gave his other half my word. Also the old school group I fish with,we always watched out for each other and still do.

Cmon guys, you all sound like a bunch of old washerwomen here....you too Jon! :HappyWave:
When fishing Montauk, guys take risks like this all the time,,,and when skishing there,. or wetsuiting the rocks at Orient Pt....all involve a lot more risk than what I'm doing here....so Man up and enough with the blubbering! :ROFLMAO

Seriously, though, I appreciate your concern....ALL of ya's ...:thumbsup: :kiss:
I know ya's wouldn't say those things if ya didn't care...and thanks... from the bottom of my heart.....every man should be so lucky as to have characters like you people in his life.....:cool:

Now back to the regularly scheduled program...there is no whining in fishing! :laugh: :fishing:

jonthepain
02-06-2012, 12:50 PM
... you all sound like a bunch of old washerwomen here....you too Jon!

mmm hmmmmm

I know ya's wouldn't say those things if ya didn't care...

yer makin an awful big assumption there, aintcha?

...there is no whining in fishing!

rofl

ya got me there

:D